Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
At least gaming has emulation to keep games "alive". Maybe one day all movie distributors agree to make a huge movie archive and all will be preserved somehow.

Your post and this thread made me think of this very relevant and unfortunately now-deleted post Mike Flanagan made not so long ago on his surprisingly active Tumblr account (the original post was here). Thankfully, I could find a copy of the post:

– xxaninvinciblesummerxx asked:

Hey, there. Rewatching Midnight Mass right now and it's got to be one of my favorite shows of all time. I'm cancelling Netflix soon for budget reasons, and I know there's been disputes and frustration over this, but if there was ever a DVD release, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Here's hoping.

– Mike Flanagan replied:

I tried repeatedly over many years to get Netflix to do the right thing and release the original shows on physical media. For a long time they just said no, then they ignored me for a while, then they said no a few more times, then they said they would see what they could do...

At one point, they said they were actually going to do it - an executive told me they were going to package everything into a "Flanaverse" box set (man I hate that word, but I would have lived with it gladly if it meant physical media releases).

I was overjoyed. But months went by without any further updates. When I finally followed up, they sent a single-sentence email that basically said "oh yeah, never mind, we weren't able to get that going." I pushed for an explanation as to why but never got anything more specific than "physical media just isn't a priority for the company".

That outcome, and the dismissive, nonchalant delivery of the news, were entirely demoralizing.

We are seeing more and more movies and series being erased from existence as studios seek to save a little cash. This is only going to get worse.

The fact that Midnight Mass, The Midnight Club, Gerald's Game and Before I Wake (and the upcoming Fall of the House of Usher) are exclusively available ONLY on Netflix, and can disappear from the service at any time and be entirely erased from the world - is absolutely terrifying to me.

Physical media is critical.

Being available "exclusively" on a single platform is bad for the business, bad for cinema, and bad for all of us.

I used to be vehemently opposed to piracy.

I have completely changed my stance on that issue.

Yesterday's "pirates" are, in some cases, the only hope for archival preservation of a growing amount of shows and movies.

I have purchased several pirated blu-ray copies of Midnight Mass, am very impressed with the quality and presentation, and I am profoundly grateful they exist.

Godspeed, noble archivists.

(Wanted to point out - Paramount co-produced both The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor. Netflix wouldn't have put those out either, but Paramount retained the physical media rights, so one year after each was launched on Netflix, they were made available on Blu-ray and DVD. They include deleted scenes, extended scenes, and commentary tracks.

Thank you, Paramount.)

I think he might have a point.
I also get why the post had to be deleted.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
At least gaming has emulation to keep games "alive". Maybe one day all movie distributors agree to make a huge movie archive and all will be preserved somehow.
There are private movie torrent trackers with literally hundreds of thousands of unique titles, many of which can't be found anywhere else. We're talking about workprints, VHS rips, etc. Local cinematheques will also often have huge archives of films in different medias and states of conservation. Obviously they aren't ideal solutions, but at least there are a ton of hobbyists and movie lovers around the word who do the best they can to preserve the medium.

Still sucks that there are so many great movies that are almost impossible to watch without resorting to piracy or being physically close to the big archives, but at least they are being kept alive.

Also: support the companies doing the good work. Criterion, Kino Lorber, Arrow... The work they do, considering the current media landscape, is more important than ever -- even if they can only cover a very small part of what cinema has to offer.

Last edited:

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
We literally went from having video stores with every movie you could think of to this.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Contracts baby. And some studios seeing moneyhatting exclusives isn't working but at the same time, it's worse when they sell the windows.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's as byproduct of what people watch. Most popular movies are on some streaming service. Niche stuff gets shut out off streaming but typically is available to rent or buy.

Ive complained a lot about this in the past.

I was born in the 70s. And I like a lot of the movies i grew up with from then to the mid 90s. Even the cheesy B flicks. But there is nowhere to watch them. They are essentially lost to time unless you buy physical. Amazon Prime though seems to have some older flicks from time to time. But there definitely needs to be a place where more are available.

Id LOVE a streaming service that would just focus on older titles. I dunno how popular that would be though.

Netflix makes money. The rest have yet to turn consistent profit and some are losing billions annually. So probably no money in it.

Jul 14, 2023
Yeah I've been watching a lot of older films with my grandparents lately, and a good number of them (ex: The Wild Bunch, Dirty Harry, etc.) weren't on streaming at all despite being subscribed to services like Max. I wound up getting physical Blu-Ray copies of them (and they're on VOD anyway), but that there's so many films that just aren't on streaming even if they're fully produced and distributed by that company is ridiculous.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
there was this one movie called dark angel i watched as a kid and i was never able to find it on dvd and of course no streaming site. just looked it up right now and its on tubi!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I notice this a lot. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I want to watch a movie and it's actually on a streaming service I have (like I just watched all the live-action Kenshin movies on Netflix Taiwan and they rocked).

I also really hate it when Amazon has a show or movie available, but only through subscriptions. Come on, I just want to buy Chihayafuru (only on Crunchyroll) or Worst Year of My Life Again (only on Ameba - bet you've never heard of that one!). Or like the Goes Wrong Show, we were able to buy the first season (I don't think you can anymore), but the second season is only available through a Broadway HD subscription.

The whole point of a digital media future is to be more convenient!

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I want to watch Black Sails again it was on Amazon Prime in Ireland and it left and no one has picked it up. I think it was 3 years ago now. I am going to buy the Bluray set now.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
It's one of the reasons I keep my own film library, we let these services control what we see and you can miss out on so much. The fact the films can also dissappear over time doesn't work for me at all.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, a lot of stuff straight up isn't available for streaming anywhere. Things are just getting lost to time.

Boutique labels like Vinegar or Arrow are so important to the preservation of more obscure films.

I know getting up to change discs is a bit much for some people
I always find this such a wild argument lol.

Searching a movie on a streaming service takes more time than putting a disc in a player.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Most of my justwatch.com searches come up with no results. Not that I bother much these days because I know the answer before even searching.

Locally the situation is the same. The other day I tried searching for one of the most classic Finnish movie series (Uuno) and despite us having way too many local streaming services, the result was still the same, not available.

With media if no one wants to offer the service it usually leaves only one option that results into being able to see the movie.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is very impressive how much the streaming age hate 30+ old movies .... the older you go the more rare is to find the movie

Imagine how much worse it is living in a country where most of those streaming services are not available.

Piracy is literally your only option to watch them.

Don't change much in my experience, like before we had all the streaming services here netflix had MUCH more content

But still sucked for pretty much anything past 2000

kowhite

May 14, 2019
It's actually quite impressive how many movies aren't owned by the companies you all are angry at for not doing anything with.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
At one point, I had about 3K blu-rays and DVDs.
About 5 years ago, I got rid of about two thirds of them, keeping just the favorites.
What remains, you can pry from my cold dead hands, as very few of them are available on any streaming service, and many are also just out of print.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the truth about streaming services is that at any given time they are collectively offering only a tiny fraction of the movies you might potentially want to watch.

Your alternatives are purchasing via a service like iTunes or Amazon (where the rental and purchase libraries are much larger), getting movies physically (or even digitally) from your local library, or of course purchasing physical media. This is why I feel it's way, way too early for people to be sounding the death knell for any of these options. The subscription streamers just do not cut it as a source of films.

I was recommending this to a co-worker...and they were like where is it streaming. And of course. 😐

Man... when you think about that movie being pre-9/11...

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a film, but it kills me that Netflix had Columbo in HD for a time, disappeared and never came back.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Literally almost everyyhing that people are complaining about being "lost" in this thread is available in seconds from Amazon transactional, iTunes or Google Play Movies.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Availability of anything pre-2000's is definitely a lot worse now than it was in the height of dvd in my country (Finland). Your options are importing a physical release, trying to hunt down a used local (dvd) release or use VPN to access US streaming site like Criterion. The situation is especially frustrating for studio era Hollywood films because most studios have streaming services available here but they just don't want to release anything pre-80's.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
At least in the US you guys can buy them digitally most of the time. Like I want to watch Infernal Affairs and it's just not available here in any form digitally. Purchase or streaming. Same with Shin Godzilla.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
Yep. I was just wanting to watch 28 days later and it is nowhere. Not even to rent or buy (digital). lol

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah some movies like The Prestige never seem to show up on streaming services (at least not when I'm aware).

I'm not a fan of buying digital copies because then you still have to rely on your access and availability of that service. So I prefer buying physical copies for movies / shows that I want to rewatch, which don't have a stable home on a streaming service.

Yeah fumbling with discs can be a little bit inconvenient, but it's also nice actually getting to see / listen to the end credits instead of immediately skipping to the next episode or movie. I also enjoy listening to audio commentaries, which streaming services haven't even attempted yet to incorporate. A lot of insight behind certain movies is just going to get lost in time fairly soon.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If you love movies, you should dump the service that's churning out shit like Red Notice and start buying those movies you love. Nobody's ever taking those away from you.

Join the physical media club, OP. Join the right side of history.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I have a huge physical library, and it is all ripped and on my plex server. Best of both worlds really. Aside from the terrible quality, I would never rely on streaming.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming will never be a method to ensure that more movies are more available, but rather they are exercising the decision of what is deserves to be kept available and what doesn't, based on factors that are entirely unrelated to our need to preserve art. Same with remasters, remakes, etc all that jazz. The only way to preserve movies in this situation is to keep aquiring media that isn't entirely under the control of the capitalist hegemony like data streaming, or be part of community minded preservation and sharing.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
If you love movies, you should dump the service that's churning out shit like Red Notice and start buying those movies you love. Nobody's ever taking those away from you.

Join the physical media club, OP. Join the right side of history.

As anyone who has tried to dump aka sell their physical media collection can attest, there isn't much of a market for it. Right now it's probably the easiest and cheapest time to get in physical media collection because supply far outpaces demand.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yes it sucks and it's why I started going back to physical media last year. Only downside is I really have to check my buying habits cause it's so easy to just click 'buy' on a shitload of films that'll take me ages to watch

But I can get the criterion channel here in Ireland by using a VPN on their sign up page, and it works then without a VPN (I don't think I even needed the VPN to enter payment info, you shouldn't do that on free VPNs either)

Apple's TV store has a good selection of older films as well, reasonably priced. Digital purchases tho, which is its own issue. Cheaper than physical at least (which is how it should be), at least for the films I've bought. New releases wont be cheap.

In the meanwhile if you're not into physical media, I recommend Apple/Itunes

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I know it's infuriating!
Me and my partner are doing a thing where we pick a theme each month and watch a movie a week in that theme… gangster movies, martial arts films etc.
We have Netflix, D+, Amazon Prime, and Now TV with the movie sub… basically every streaming service in the U.K… and yet every month only one of the four films will be available to watch for free. It's really pissing me off.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
yeh I switched to physical from streaming a couple of years ago and have watched a lot more films as a result. it's also got me very interested in the history of film too via the curation by certain labels.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I remember I was a bit miffed when I picked up Disney+ and they did not have all the Disney films available. Part of the reason I sub'd was hoping I would finally get to watch again some of the old Disney films I saw as a kid, but nope, they are not available. Legit made by Disney and they don't have them... why tho Disney? :\

There's also a lot of foreign films I'd really like to watch, assuming they have English subt's, but there just are not that many available.

IDK if there's a better site, but I use justwatch.com

Never heard of that site before and have already bookmarked it... thanks!! :)

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Physical media is the best answer to this problem, but has also experienced the same problem over the years.

There's a massive amount of movies that never made the jump from VHS to DVD. And only a small percentage of films that got a DVD release made the jump to Blu-ray. And an even smaller percentage of films that made it to Blu-ray have gotten an Ultra HD Blu-ray release.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd watch Amadeus every week but I can't find it fucking anywhere. Well I do find it on Prime but I'd have to pay 10€ or some shit, wtf

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
You never had a video store with every movie you could think of. And you never rented most of what was there…why do you think they went out of business.
No they didn't have everything. But the rental industry was massive. They just went out of business because streaming was more convenient.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of strange to complain about having to pay for movies you want to watch. Buying movies individually on iTunes etc. is still much, much cheaper than it used to be when we didn't have streaming.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Most of my justwatch.com searches come up with no results. Not that I bother much these days because I know the answer before even searching.

Locally the situation is the same. The other day I tried searching for one of the most classic Finnish movie series (Uuno) and despite us having way too many local streaming services, the result was still the same, not available.

With media if no one wants to offer the service it usually leaves only one option that results into being able to see the movie.
I've found the same with justwatch, it's great to see if a something is available, but it's usually not. I end up using it to keep a list of "things I need a VPN for"

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of strange to complain about having to pay for movies you want to watch. Buying movies individually on iTunes etc. is still much, much cheaper than it used to be when we didn't have streaming.

Yes, and I tend to rent quite a bit. Never really not found a movie I wanted to watch.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm part of a horror review panel for a YouTube show, and damn near every time that I need to watch something that's either niche or international, it's not streaming anywhere and the DVD is typically expensive as all hell. Internet Archive has helped a bit, but I'm still an advocate of physical media. Hell, I wanted to watch Ninja Scroll the other day and it is straight up missing everywhere except IA.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The situation becomes 100x worse when we put foreign films in the equation. It's bad out here. Tons of media gonna be lost in the future.
They're not getting "lost", they're still well available to buy digitally, just not included in streaming subs who are more focused on original and contemporary content.
Yeah, I'm getting really annoyed that even popular movies like Back To The Future are so sporadic on streaming. It's on something every couple of months or so, but it's always somewhere different every time. But now it's not available anywhere. So I have to wait and see if it'll show up somewhere next month. It's really frustrating!
Or you could consider buying it and watch it whenever you like.