Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 42 with 2 daughters (ages 9&10) and a lovely wife. We have no cable or local channels. However, we do have Netflix ($8), Amazon Prime (about $8.25), and YouTube Red($10) for a total of $26.25, down from the $125 we used to pay through Comcast. We're saving almost $1,200 a year. I honestly struggle to include Amazon Prime because we pay for this service for the shipping benefits, not for the ability to stream entertainment. I'm including it for the sake of being complete though. We also stream content from my PC to all areas of the house, including phones/ipads, gaming consoles, and TVs.

PROS

1. I used to sit down and surf, wondering "I wonder what's on?". Now I sit down and think "This is what I'm watching tonight". It's a subtle difference, but in practice it is significant. This has altered my family's entire approach to media consumption.

2. NO ADS. Not even one. All the media I have consumed for the past several years hasn't had a single advertisement. Just think about that for a second. Do you know how fucking awesome and weird that is? I was at a friend's house and was blown away by how frequent and annoying ads are on TV. After having YouTube Red, watching people wait 5-10 seconds to skip through ads seems so tedious. I am completely used to never seeing a single ad, ever.

3. All of our content is custom delivered to us. If you want to watch a horror flick, look at the selections available. If you want to binge a new show, go right ahead. The episodes autoplay and also skip the intros and credits! My children each have their own playlists and saved series.

4. Watching YouTube is amazing and I can stream it anywhere I want. I get most of my music playlists through the service and have about 50 channels I am subscribed to ranging from my various hobbies to history and some really off the wall one of a kind stuff from all over the world. Content comes out so fast, I cannot keep up even if I tried. I find new stuff to enjoy every time I look. Being able to instantly watch content basically custom made for you cannot be understated. It's a total game changer for my family.

5. I haven't watched the news in over 4 years. I read my news online from various sources, as it's announced. It's really a load off my mind. I read about the news when I am ready and able to dedicate time to it, not as a passive input.

6. Everything is a TV. No cable required.

CONS

1. I miss the Super Bowl every year. Well, I missed seeing it the first year or 2, now I'm pretty much entirely out of sports. (With no ads, I don't even know who is playing who, the scores, or anything) I feel bad when friends/family are like "can we watch the game?" and I'm like.....no sorry ---- small plus here is that more and more things are being streamed. We watched the Macy's Day parade this year on Thanksgiving Day as it was streamed live on YouTube. Same with things like elections and such.

2. When my modem is being an asshole, it sucks. Getting out of my bed to go reset the modem that decided to shit on us during the last 30 minutes of our movie is a PITA.

3. When the Internet is out, bye bye shows. At least I still have all the stuff on my PC to stream. I mean, cable outages happen too, but not as often in my experience.

-----Who else has cut the cord and what effect has it had on your media consumption habits?-----

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as you, although it's probably closer to 6 years for me.

I love it & couldn't imagine ever going back. And you're definitely right about ads.

With that said, invest in an over-the-air antenna! A one time $50 purchase for a nice one gets me access to ~20 channels, and I can watch football/basketball/the super bowl/the Oscars/etc

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm in a very similar boat, but I use Sling TV for sports (and I also have an antenna hookup). The only downside is that to get every sports offering you need to get the highest Sling package which is like 45 dollars. I'm not sure if Vue's offering is more price friendly.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I've been watching MORE shows. I have to pick from:
-Netflix
-Hulu (sure, ads, but has most of the shows I'd watch on cable with late night/next day eps)
-Amazon
-Crunchyroll
-Youtube Red
-CW (free w/ads)
-Crackle (free w/ads)
-TubiTV (free w/ads)
-AMC (borrowed from family account)
-HBO (borrowed from family account)
-antenna (one-time cost)

If you can deal with ads, there is quite a selection of even free services out there! I love having queues to deal with keeping track. Hulu made it easy with when new eps pop up, so I've stuck with it. Don't miss cable at all.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted to, but it's more expensive for me to buy internet alone than it is to get an internet+cable bundle, so I still keep the cable box around.

How much are you paying a month for internet?

Oct 25, 2017
However, we do have Netflix ($8), Amazon Prime (about $8.25), and YouTube Red($10) for a total of $26.25, down from the $125 we used to pay through Comcast. We're saving almost $1,200 a year.

Was the $125 from Comcast just for cable TV? No internet?

That's the hangup I have. I've got a Spectrum package for about $140 a month, but it's cable TV, internet, and phone. If I drop that, I've still got to get internet and pay for a few streaming services. Just doesn't seem like I can go significantly cheaper by doing that.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very simple to watch sports w/o cable

Legally? PS Vue and sling and stuff like that

illegally? Even easier but against the tos

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had a cable subscription since 2008. It's only gotten better since then. Sometimes you miss big TV events, but you realize quickly how pointless they are. The best part is not been inundated with commercials (as much).

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
We cut the cord a little more than a year ago and I have no idea why we didn't do it sooner. Antenna, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, MLB, and Sling. We're paying less than half and have more to watch than we actually can. The best part about antenna is I've discovered a couple channels that cant be viewed on cable. I visit my parents who have DirecTV and it feels like a downgrade.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Was the $125 from Comcast just for cable TV? No internet?

That's the hangup I have. I've got a Spectrum package for about $140 a month, but it's cable TV, internet, and phone. If I drop that, I've still got to get internet and pay for a few streaming services. Just doesn't seem like I can go significantly cheaper by doing that.

That was without including Internet service. The total for the dual package was $160 I think? Sorry, it's been awhile! I currently have the $75 tier for Internet, but work pays for that.

On getting an antenna... The thought has crossed my mind several times. However, I honestly do not have enough hours in the day to consume the media I have now. After not having it for so long, I simply don't miss it.

Question about antennas: I have 4 TVs. Do they each need their own? (I'm talking the HD ones that are flat) If I did get a rooftop antenna, wouldn't I have to run coax everywhere? That would be no small feat for my home.

If I really wanted sports, I would buy one of the packages through any number of services. After I fell out of the loop a bit, it almost seems like work to try and get back involved sports lol.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Once I found out I could pay for single episodes of current shows on Prime, I'm close to cutting the cord.

The only reason I would get a package that had AMC is for The Walking Dead. That's the only show I watch on there.

That and when we did have cable only me, my younger kids and teenage son watched tv in the living room. Everyone else used their phone or tablet.

Oct 31, 2017
It's been over 10 years for me. I only really miss live sports, especially after Netflix and now Amazon and Hulu became big. I need DTC sports ASAP, Flo can only do so much.

cjkeats

Oct 27, 2017
S. John's, NL Canada
Between Netflix, Crunchyroll and Crave TV, (and formerly Shomi, RIP) just about everything we want to watch is there. Anything that's not or we can't wait for we buy the season pass on iTunes or Google Play, and that's really just my girlfriends bad crime procedurals and Game of Thrones, which my stepdad gives us the digital code out of his blurays he gets day one anyways. We aren't into sports at all.

Only thing we really miss out on is Hulu and Amazon Prime. Our Prime expired and the other features of prime are literally worthless where we live so we aren't going to renew it yet, and Hulu just hates Canada for some reason.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Super Bowl and in fact all NFL coverage on Fox, CBS, and NBC can be had with a $30 antenna. NFL is the last major sport in the US still broadcast over the air.

I've been cable free for nearly a decade now. It's been great.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
And now that more tv's can connect to the internet, cable boxes are becoming obsolete.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Seriously, get an antenna. Then you can watch the Super Bowl for free.
yea i dont understand, get an antenna OP. you can hook it up to your computer and stream it to all your devices. I did this with Kodi on my HTPC. For your question on multiple tvs watching different thigns, i think most HTPC tv cards are 2 tuner, so you can watch 2 things OTA at once.

I cut the cord for a few years. It was ok, a lot of stuff my wife and i like, like pretty much anything discovery network owns, and some HGTV shows are not available on any service. We're back on DirecTV because of our bundled internet and tv with them/att. I like having it back, i can actually watch my Astros instead of listening to them on the radio.

also you were getting ripped off for just tv for 125 a month? They're so desperate now, they throw promotions at you.

Oct 27, 2017
Same here but I bought an ota for the tv so I can get local channels for football. Only thing I'm bothered by are internet speed vs cost in my area. Luckily I don't have a cap but paying almost $100 for decent internet speed is my only issue.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't miss anything about cable or network TV. Channel surfing was a tremendous waste of time, especially when I'd just land on whatever show happened to be on HGTV 90% of the time.

Now, if I'm consuming media, I'm doing it purposefully.

If anything, it's increased my weekly gaming time, because I simply don't care about TV shows anymore to a large extent.

If I want to watch sports, I'll usually go to a friends, or ask to use their login for ESPN if they come over to my place. No one has minded sharing that so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Get an antenna and a tablo. It's awesome. You can put the box anywhere and it'll stream your local channels to a streaming box (we have Roku). And plug in an external HD and record all your local shows

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I cut the cable about 20 years ago. Moved to Southeast Asia and lived in Singapore for over a decade, during the 90s, never bothered to get cable while I was there since so many of the channels weren't in English anyway. Then when I moved back to Canada in 2007, there just never seemed to be a reason to resume subscribing to cable, so I didn't. I've never, ever been interested in sports, so at first, the only things I really missed where watching TV shows as they were broadcast each week, but now even that's no longer an issue.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
We all better pray that Net Neutrality doesnt fuck all our shit up.

I love streaming thought, cable is a rip

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cable is for old people (like my parents).

Every time I visit them I get an unpleasant reminder of how many fucking ads are on TV. I feels like watching ads more than actual content. I don't miss it at all, it's a massive waste of my time.

I often hear people complaning about having to subscribe to multiple services, but it doesn't really bother me, as long as I don't have to see ads I'll gladly pay. Whereas with cable you get a ton of ads AND they still fucking charge you money. No thanks!

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm not really into sports -- just catch the odd hockey game if I have someone to watch with -- so I really have no incentive at all to pay for cable. It's really the last holdout. Like sports? Maybe consider a basic cable package, though there are others options. No? Then why even bother thinking about it?

I subscribe to Netflix, Shudder, and Crunchyroll for a total of $23/mo. Will add Disney's streaming service to that when it gets rolled out. The functionality and value is staggering compared to cable and I would be absolutely insane to ever go back.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
8 years for me. I don't miss it at all. OTA HD antenna and Amazon Prime so that obviously helps. That said, I watch about 2 hours of "TV content" on a screen a week so I'm not a big watcher anyway.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
Question about antennas: I have 4 TVs. Do they each need their own? (I'm talking the HD ones that are flat) If I did get a rooftop antenna, wouldn't I have to run coax everywhere? That would be no small feat for my home.
I just used the coaxial that DirecTV installed. I just removed the box and swapped the dish for the antenna. Took me maybe 30 minutes. You said you used to have cable, right? There should be some hardware in place. If not, it shouldn't be too hard to run a coaxial along the outside of your house (mine is tacked up under the eave before running behind the downspout) and drill a single hole in the wall in an inconspicuous place.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you don't have an antenna, do like me.

Connect a coaxial cord to the tv. It acts like an antenna. You have to find a spot for it to work. Trial n error. I've taped mine to the wall, draped it over a chair, etc, lol.

It's like how we used to use a coat hanger back in the day.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
My family watches antenna TV (cut cable ages ago and only use Netflix) and every once in a while when I sit with them to watch a show is feels so surreal to actually have commercial breaks XD
I don't miss them though.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm approaching one year and wish I had done it sooner. Cable in canada is pretty cheap for basic ($25) but basic is also pretty bad as it has no sports channels. Those packages are $50+ even more for 4k box rentals.

Pros
-It's nice not seeing ads anymore. What a time sink ads are
-More disposable income for gaming and a faster internet
-NBA pass is really good, especially for late night games
-TIME (again). Watching an episode on netflix or whatver is 25% less time cuz no ads!

Cons
-live events missed but honestly life goes on even if you're missing whatever awards show or sports or news. Twitter and youtube have the important clips.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
But NBA, though... I want to do this but I needs my basketball. Are there any alternatives to cable/satellite where I still get to see ball games?

Edit: missed post #30. Is the NBA pass expensive?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Cable is like a yesterday story at this point. I have

- Sling TV - mostly for live NBA games and random show
- NBA League Pass - shit service but only choice to watch all NBA games
- Amazon Prime - this is just a bonus. I subscribe mainly for free shipping.

Three services cost me about $50 a month and they cover everything I want to watch. Much better than spending $100+ for cable.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
My biggest complaint about cutting the cable? Having to constantly sign back in for many of the streaming services I use through my Apple TV. It seems like every 3-4 days I'm being prompted to enter my credentials again, sometimes missing valuable screen time in the process.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
2. NO ADS. Not even one. All the media I have consumed for the past several years hasn't had a single advertisement. Just think about that for a second. Do you know how fucking awesome and weird that is? I was at a friend's house and was blown away by how frequent and annoying ads are on TV. After having YouTube Red, watching people wait 5-10 seconds to skip through ads seems so tedious. I am completely used to never seeing a single ad, ever.

As someone who grew up watching nothing but PBS, I've always felt this way, and it's a major reason I only started watching TV shows once streaming became a thing. Ads are so grating that they make me almost violently angry.

All through my life going to friend's places with their TVs on was like finding out they are cultists. It's literal brainwashing. Fuck ads.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They streamed the Super Bowl the past few years. Also download shows on Netflix in the event you lose internet access. I've been off cable for years too and I dont miss it at all. Sometimes I subscribe to Vue for a month to get access to the Redzone channel, but I can't stand watching the regular channels. The amount of commercials is just insane.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Watching news is just a silly concept at this point. I don't even get how or why these networks exist for tv anymore.

Loading up a page on your phone/tablet and reading through 10 different headlines in a matter of seconds is so much more efficient. Like why watch 30 minutes of ads with only like 20 minutes of news when you can just read through all those same headlines in seconds. Its such a waste of time.

Also OP get an antenna if you miss the NFL. You will get the local channels needed to watch the nfl every sunday and some games on thursday. Also the Superbowl. You will only miss out on monday night football which is terrible anyways.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you have an antenna? They are really cheap to get all the local stations and sports.

I've been a cord cutter for about 4 years as well, biggest thing I miss is ESPN, but from what I've seen ESPN has been degrading in quality and I'm not that into it anymore. When at hotels the only thing I watch is Baseball Tonight or SVP.

There was actually a Cord Cutting thread on the other site, was thinking of starting a Budget Friendly thread on this site that goes through things like cord cutting, MVNOs for phones, etc.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any equivalent service to PS Vue in Canada? Seems the only TV subs here are tied to ISPs.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Son'ys Vue is fantastic if you've got a PS4 because you can pay month to month with it.

We pay only about $50 for cable bundled with our internet, would not pay any more than that for it.

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
Cut the cord... Five years ago. I don't miss it. I haven't had a problem watching anything I'd want to watch. I find myself switching between streaming services at times to find what I need, but it's simple enough. The only con is... Every now and then, I turn on Netflix or Amazon, and I don't know what to watch. It's kind of like with cable TV, when you simply want to relax and sit on the couch so you're only channel surfing. But then I realize hey, maybe I shouldn't be watching anything at all. So it's not so bad. Not having cable has encouraged me to enjoy other things in life, for which I am grateful.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I went down to Limited Basic non-HD to get the discount on the Internet.

Lets me get CNN, Cartoon Network, Weather Channel - the basics and all my local channels via the app on my phone too via streaming.

At home, I use an HD antenna for local channels (LOL Cable HD technology fee can kiss my ass)

I get HBO Now ONLY when Game of Thrones is running and just have Netflix.

Saving a nice penny.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I have never paid for cable. After moving out, I just didn't want it.

Now I leech off my brother's netflix account and have amazon prime.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with the selection. They seem to only have a handful of decent movies every month that you've probably already seen or had your fill of, and then gobs and gobs of crap.

So some nights I'll play switch instead or see what's happening on twitch, or maybe watch some Colbert clips on YouTube.

As for ads, I mute them and pretend they don't exist.. Although YouTube is disappearing from amazon fire tv for petty reasons, so I'll have to consider another solution or stop watching youtube.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One benefit for paying for cable is that you can stream live tv from your computer... so I've been using my parent's comcast account for years. It's a pretty good deal.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I miss being able to just turn on something I don't care about so I can watch it while playing a game or something.

Now I have to choose what to watch which means I can't not pay attention since I "want to" watch it