Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
kv_logo.png

It's been 1 year but it sure feels like longer. Fire Emblem: Three Houses is officially 1 year old now and I don't think my opinion on the game has changed much: It's still one of the best Switch games and one of the greatest Fire Emblem games.

Thinking back, it's funny how negative ERA was towards this game until the famous E3 2019 trailer that showed the timeskip.

This video changed everything surrounding this game and I still think it was a brilliant, marketing move from Nintendo. I certainly enjoyed all the speculation threads that we had here. We even had a massive leak that got everyone even more hyped for the game.

To this day I still have some songs from the game in my rotation, because the OST is certainly different, it doesn't feel from a Fire Emblem game and I think that's why I enjoy listening to it so much.

Also, let's not forget the best character in the game. He must not be forgotten.

b9d.jpg

9fddaf1eb8bce160c950591463e5083c.jpg

Please post fanart.

Edx81SiVoAA_vNW

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the deal with the DLC? Worth it? I beat the game with two houses and loved it, but wasn't sure if I should check out the dlc.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i got the game a long time ago but i've been putting it off since then šŸ˜¬
hopefully i'll get to it before 2021.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favorite fire emblem. Only thing that would have made it better would have been more mission types.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
What was the deal with the DLC? Worth it? I beat the game with two houses and loved it, but wasn't sure if I should check out the dlc.

It's a decent little side story that adds new characters (+ their paralogues), new classes, etc. It has the tightest mission design in the game, so it was super fun to play, even if there aren't that many missions.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Honestly, I don't think it is worth it. I think you get a complete game and story without the DLC. The final wave does have great mission designs though. And the new characters are fun with the new classes.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Fantastic game indeed, it'a really three game in one, long games at that.

I just wish Fire Emblem starts having a real character as the main character and not this mute bland avatar.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hrm. Yeah, I still want to check out the DLC but it seems expensive. Hopefully it'll go on sale eventually.

Jan 2, 2018
Such a phenomenal game, one of the best on the Switch, my GotY of 2019.
It also motivated me to try out some of the earlier games, which is why I'm playing through Shadows of Valentia right now.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cindered Shadows is worth getting. It contains its own stand-alone story of challenging maps, but the real worth is in having four new characters to add to your campaign and four new classes. The rest of the DLC you can pass on.

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite games this gen. Played BE-E and GD, need to do BL run. Also beat DLC.

loved the music, setting, monastery, characters and gameplay. Really didn't like Fates so this was a great revival imo. I went into thinking it would be good but skeptic because of Fates, tho I loved Awakenjng. Was absolutely blown away instantly and one of the few recent games I've got 100+ hours in (120ish) and will probably hit 200 by the time I'm done with all content. For a $60 single player game it's more than delivered

I would love if they did this 3 faction formula with a central hub again. Especially if they did it with Advance Wars but that IP is probably a goner.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Still working my way through this motherfucker. Finally got to the time skip after 50 hours. Golden Deer for life.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game indeed, it'a really three game in one, long games at that.

Mmm... yes and no. It has about as many actual maps as most other Fire Emblems, so when splitting those across 4 routes... what you get is a truly unfortunate amount of repetition. It's game built to be replayed to piece together its full story, and yet almost no thought went into its actual replayability.

I love it, but that's a serious flaw. Wish they'd tempered their ambitions a little bit to deliver a product more focused on quality than thinly-spread quantity.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Honestly, I don't think it is worth it. I think you get a complete game and story without the DLC. The final wave does have great mission designs though. And the new characters are fun with the new classes.
The new classes are honestly the main attraction for me. It gives female characters a possible end class for Brawling in War Cleric. It brings back Dark Fliers. And a few characters have Sword and Faithh strength with nothing to go towards, until Trickster showed up.

The characters are a bit hit and miss. They're strong, sure, but in the main game, there's just plenty of characters to use so they don't really become needed.

Having access to Abyss in the main game is more time spent on Explore phases, but at least you get some nice goodies down there. and something to spend renown on when you've maxed out the statues and are on another round of New Game+.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
they made a full game off the characters from fire emblem heroes?

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I put a ridiculous amount of time into this game. My favorite switch title

I like how all the house leaders are flawed. I know people have their favorites but really all of them are flawed in interesting ways

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cindered Shadows is worth getting. It contains its own stand-alone story of challenging maps, but the real worth is in having four new characters to add to your campaign and four new classes. The rest of the DLC you can pass on.
Can you even buy just that content? The only option I see is for the entire thing.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Amazing game, but I put 70+ hours into it, beat only one route (GD), and was exhausted by the end of it. I feel happy for the people who enjoy the game enough to play all 4 routes, but I can't even imagine having the energy to do so.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
An instant classic in the series. It has its flaws, sure, but it has one of the best overall casts of any Fire Emblem, if not the number one cast of them all, from the way that they're written to their designs, both pre and post-timeskip. It's honestly hilarious in retrospect that people were terrified that this would be Fates 2.

But that aside, I really enjoyed the new things that Three Houses brought to the series. Being able to explore the monastery and just talk to people and also to spend time teaching class was a huge change of pace from the old Battle > Base Menu > Battle flow, or from the games with world maps like Awakening. More than anything, though, Three Houses doesn't feel overly-committed to series tradition, whether we're talking about basic game structure or something as simple as the Christmas Cavaliers just...not being present.

And I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think Byleth is a great player character and I will die on that hill, even if I'm pinned to it with swords.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Incredible game, has some flaws, but very happy with it overall. I am really happy to see how big Fire Emblem is for Nintendo now!

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Amazing game, but I put 70+ hours into it, beat only one route (GD), and was exhausted by the end of it. I feel happy for the people who enjoy the game enough to play all 4 routes, but I can't even imagine having the energy to do so.
I think the problem is the monastery activities that you have to do after the time skip that really drags the game down. If they continue to have these mechanics in the next games I hope they find a way to streamline it

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
My first Fire Emblem game and it was an incredible experience. Awesome story, music and gameplay.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Tea time is a waste of fucking time.
Tea Time will boost Byleth's Charm through the goddamn roof, my dude.

(That's another thing I like about Three Houses. The Charm stat and Battalions were a great idea. I think Battalion use could be refined further in a new game, but for a first go, it was really fun mechanic, particularly when it came to battling the giant monster enemies and breaking shields.)

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they use this game to build a remake of FE4 and have a little bonus prologue chapter of you playing as Sigurd, Quann, and Eldigan during their academy training days just to really establish their friendship.

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed the game, still need to finish my third playthrough that I started (Golden Deer). I wish the routes had more differences especially pre-timeskip, and the story is a bit of a mess, but it was a great improvement over Awakening and Fates. Fantastic cast far above those games as well, characters tend to have more depth that a single quirk as in previous games. Looking forward to the next Fire Emblem game (Claude Almyra sequel please?)

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Hopefully they use this game to build a remake of FE4 and have a little bonus prologue chapter of you playing as Sigurd, Quann, and Eldigan during their academy training days just to really establish their friendship.

Yeah, I'm honestly more excited for whatever ends up using the TH base. FE4 Echoes would be quite lovely.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Mmm... yes and no. It has about as many actual maps as most other Fire Emblems, so when splitting those across 4 routes... what you get is a truly unfortunate amount of repetition. It's game built to be replayed to piece together its full story, and yet almost no thought went into its actual replayability.

I love it, but that's a serious flaw. Wish they'd tempered their ambitions a little bit to deliver a product more focused on quality than thinly-spread quantity.

Yeah it's not perfect. Those 4 routes are great with a lot of different good character stories but I started the second route right after finishing the first and I was burned out because it is a lot to go through again with the school stuff. I didn't have it in me anymore to spend like 30 hours talking to everyone to hear their story and the gameplay was isn't deep enough to keep me around for the combat stuff.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed my time with it, but it's definitely not my favorite Fire Emblem game. I didn't really enjoy the school aspect of it but the battles themselves were fun (which is funny, because with Persona 5 it was the opposite - I liked the "slice of life" parts, but thought the dungeons were a bit of a slog) and the characters (while not the most memorable in the series for me personally), were still pretty good.

I still put Path of Radiance and Awakening before it personally, and I think in general since the series transitioned to 3D they haven't quite been able to replicate the feeling that those awesome 2D sprite battle animations gave off.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Reminder that FE3H has an incredible fan art community and our thread is STILL GOING STRONG

www.resetera.com

Fire Emblem: Three Houses Fan Art Thread Nintendo

... and you can't tell me otherwise. In some well measured hype for the game, the fan art season is hereby declared open. If you haven't followed the game closely on purpose and want to avoid details on the game, this might not be a good thread for you - however, since the game hasn't leaked...

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Easily my GotY for 2019 and my favorite FE game. The cast is absolutely incredible and I enjoyed the level of customization a lot. The Monastery definitely drags after a while though; it'd be good if they streamlined such a mechanic in future entries.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this game, just wish that dlc would have added another route due for a great ending path or hell give us a scorched earth evil route.(accessible after you completed the 4 routes though)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game, just wish that dlc would have added another route due for a great ending path or hell give us a scorched earth evil route.(accessible after you completed the 4 routes though)
IS explicitly avoiding a Golden Route scenario was the best decision made regarding multiple routes.

And I'm going to hold my tongue on the notion that an evil route doesn't already exist. :P

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Gameplay not as good as Conquest, but it's still a gem. The upgrade to fully voiced and choreographed (in a scrappy sense) supports and actually good writing is a huge boost. I still think Byleth sucks though.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I only played through it once as the Blue Lions - that took me eighty hours! - but I had a great time with it. I loved Awakening but skipped Fates. It exceeded my expectations for sure.