• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
People's desire to win arguments on the internet is truly unmatched.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
This is the only thread where every time it's bumped you can guarantee its because someone has done it again. Holy shit.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
"My god, how did it leak? Who is behind this? Which country?"

"No, sir. It was a nerd on our staff that wanted to win internet points."

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm looking at the old tweet from War Thunder and the idiots that had responded to it.

I guess it really needs to be said but "wanting a game to be designed better" is not a viable reason to leak classified military documents.

EDIT:

You fucking idiots.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
This is my favourite ongoing story in the gaming world right now. How DOES IT KEEP HAPPENING
Essentially, the devs have kind of fostered these attitudes. They'll release vehicles with incorrect stats/missing features due to a ridiculously tight dev schedule (they often don't know if a vehicle will be ready for release days before the content patch hits), and they then have ridiculously high standards for getting them to fix the vehicles. Videos aren't enough, multiple sources saying the same thing often aren't enough, etc... They also behave in bad faith, sometimes even things that are obviously wrong if you use a bit of common sense (like ammunitions not detonating when hit on a specific russian tanks, to which they answered "working as intended") or are straight up impossible won't get fixed because they don't feel like it or because their own sources (which they never disclose, hence the "sekrit documents" meme) tell them otherwise.

So ultimately, people resort to posting the one thing that they can't contradict: Official manuals. This wasn't too much of an issue when it was WWII era and Cold War era stuff since they're declassified, but as they add more and more modern stuff (a recently added russian vehicles is still undergoing trials), well... This happens. It's dumb, but it's unsurprising that it happens given their attitude.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a total number of leaks here? Feels like since this thread started we've had like 5 but I don't know how deep the history is on "we'll use War Thunder as a platform to leak military documents for internet clout" and how many overall instances have happened.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Essentially, the devs have kind of fostered these attitudes. They'll release vehicles with incorrect stats/missing features due to a ridiculously tight dev schedule (they often don't know if a vehicle will be ready for release days before the content patch hits), and they then have ridiculously high standards for getting them to fix the vehicles. Videos aren't enough, multiple sources saying the same thing often aren't enough, etc... They also behave in bad faith, sometimes even things that are obviously wrong if you use a bit of common sense (like ammunitions not detonating when hit on a specific russian tanks, to which they answered "working as intended") or are straight up impossible won't get fixed because they don't feel like it or because their own sources (which they never disclose, hence the "sekrit documents" meme) tell them otherwise.

So ultimately, people resort to posting the one thing that they can't contradict: Official manuals. This wasn't too much of an issue when it was WWII era and Cold War era stuff since they're declassified, but as they add more and more modern stuff (a recently added russian vehicles is still undergoing trials), well... This happens. It's dumb, but it's unsurprising that it happens given their attitude.

Which in turn is affected by how people might fail to realise how long materials might be classified for. Fighter jets can be from the 80s yet still come under such, because those aircraft are still fairly current, and at the very least, in active use

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They need to ban all military personnel from playing WarThunder lol

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I know little about War Thunder, but again it still surprises me it's this game's community and not the Arma community.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Espionage in the 1980s : Stealth, disguises, sneaking physical documents out of hostile countries.

Espionage in 2020s : Goading people into leaking classified documents by starting fights with them about tanks in War Thunder.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Spy play book in 2023:

Go to war thunder forum and type : "Your plane isnt better than mine"
Wait for answers
Reply " prove it"
Profit

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Was checking the Steam reviews to see if there was any comments about why this game is so fantastically popular with military personnel but came away with a butter chicken recipie from someone with 200hours who I imagine must have leaked it from the kitchens of the US Navy.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Was checking the Steam reviews to see if there was any comments about why this game is so fantastically popular with military personnel but came away with a butter chicken recipie from someone with 200hours who I imagine must have leaked it from the kitchens of the US Navy.

Oooh, do share!

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

Still had it open haha. And saved to my recipies so the cia spooks can't hide this important internal information.

AVgdTk3.jpeg

PWNnxgm.jpeg

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Must be a day that ends in y.

You can set your watch to those folks leaking classified info.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I was tempted to post this earlier, but also saw some comments that this manual was available to some extent. Not about to go looking into it beyond that for obvious reasons, but I wasn't sure about this one as I saw it posted as a meme at first.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
You can buy a manual for the DA7 that was (supposedly) declassified, though (for obvious reason), I wouldn't know if that's as... thorough, as what was posted to the forum
It's still NATO Restricted, and Gaijin isn't in a NATO country nor were they the ones making the request for it, so they can't use it and it's technically treated the same way

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I know I can't be the only one that started laughing when they saw the bump even before clicking the thread.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I love how it happened enough times that they have a big thread saying "DO NOT DISCLOSE CLASSIFIED OR EXPORT RESTRICTED DOCUMENTS, PLEASE"

Deleted member 156745

Aug 3, 2023
Damn, can they add saucers, black triangles, and cylinder UAPs to this game? Maybe someone from a SAP will leak the existence of UFO technology to win a forum argument.

bb1173

May 1, 2022
Damn, can they add saucers, black triangles, and cylinder UAPs to this game? Maybe someone from a SAP will leak the existence of UFO technology to win a forum argument.
that has always been r/noncredibledefence theory on how the US can get accurate values for Russian 'best tech ever' stuff (t14/su-57)

convince war thunder to add them to the game, and within a week some angry Russian will upload the full manual, which then the west can download and read

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

At this rate the government will have a full Yaeger-ass giant robot project and it'll be leaked on War Thunder forums first just to prove a nerd was wrong on the internet

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I bet there's agents deployed entirely to the Warthunder forums at this point.