• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Other media have things added through film.
With games, you can only ever subtract.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
It does kinda feel like we're in a moment where studios are collectively realizing "oh if we put in the effort/time/talent/money to make them actually decent, people will turn out for video game shit." Seemingly not unlike what happened with superhero stuff 15 years ago.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
First Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil film were great. Especially considering the storytelling in the games. What is Bman94 smoking?
resident-evil-laser-gif.gif

As others have already said, gaming has now become so mainstream and people in the film industry have grown up with it now, so using it as source material is much easier.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care what anybody says, Spirits Within is one of the best sci-fi films ever made

wouldn't say it's great but it definitely came out at the wrong time, like two or so years earlier a full CGI sci-fi movie would've been a fairly big deal

i like the movie but weird they got that check to do a "final fantasy movie" and that was what it was. i respect the decision but the history is what it is

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, for the longest time Silent Hill was my personal high water mark for best video game movie/TV series.

But then Netflix Castlevania, Arcane, and The Last Of Us came out over the last while (ugh, Castlevania was 7 years ago, I hate how quickly time passes now).

I think it's just similar to the trajectory of comic book movies finally being good, it took awhile for the idea to percolate and for studios to start putting at least some people in charge who actually cared about the source material and understood it.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
The first Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil movies are...fun, sure, but c'mon. They don't have the kind of writing, characters, and storytelling that The Last of Us or Fallout shows have. Go back and watch em if you haven't seen them in a long time.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I wonder if it's because the kids who grew up gaming are now adults and are old enough to impact decisions made for TV and movies.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I feel like some of the takes here kinda diminish the point.
Like you can like the Super Mario movie but that shit was so ass at the box office that Nintendo decided to take a more active role in their adaptations.
In a Dragon Ball Evolution way.

Everyone's going to talk about Mortal Kombat but hello?
latest
this for example, I remember when this was released and NO ONE would have watched this if it wasn't for the name attached to it.
I swear we're gonna get into "Legend of Chunli was great" territory soon.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon, Sonic, Kirby, Donkey Kong and Street fighter have all had quality movies or tv shows years and years ago.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean board games existed for forever and we only finally got Battleship and Jumanji and what not in the 90s/00s right?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone's going to talk about Mortal Kombat but hello?
latest

Even stepping away from the GOATs, the SF5 movie is fantastic and goes a long way to humanize that entire cast.

People out here being like, "I could fix Juri" and it's like, "dude she would steal your wallet and push you out of a moving car going 80."

TL:DR - There are tons of amazing video game adaptations out there, they just didn't have HBO or Amazon money to make them household names.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you want to discount stuff like Mortal Kombat (1995) or Resident Evil for being cheesy genre films, we had a legitimately fantastic, serialized adaptation way back in 2003 with Gungrave. And that was based on a game with the absolute flimsiest premise.

So I don't think the problem has ever been the source material not being filmic enough until recently. It's about money. Video game movies and TV are just the latest goldrush now that people are sick of comic book movies.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
this for example, I remember when this was released and NO ONE would have watched this if it wasn't for the name attached to it.
I swear we're gonna get into "Legend of Chunli was great" territory soon.
Given the source material at the time, I don't really see how it could have been much better than it was. There's the live action movie as a comparison.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
TV Shows yes, we've had some truly good ones.

Movies? I still think we're a couple of years off on that to be honest. At the moment most movies are in "Leo pointing" meme territory.

Hopefully we can get a truly great movie before too long, but I worry we might just be in a gold rush phase of low quality video game films at the moment, especially after Mario and FNAF last year.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why it's a given that just because game stories exist, movies should duplicate what takes place in those video game stories. In a vacuum I would expect movie creators to have their own stories to tell.
Movies have been adapting other media since basically day one. Movie creators have always had their own stories to tell; they still adapted a million books, plays, etc.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Ngl I kinda want someone to take another crack at the vibe the 90s Mario movie went for, just cause its such an absurd fever dream of a thing. The world wasn't ready for cyberpunk reptile human hybrid Bowser.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Those who grew up playing games are now in a position to help produce these adaptations, so I kinda make sense.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Comic books had the same problem for the longest time. So I guess let's hope they do some good work in the next decade, before video game adaptations become completely and sickeningly inescapable.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This isn't just about people growing up to become film-makers who care about the source material, it's also about critics growing up being fans of the source material and in general about nerd culture going fully mainstream in the 2000's and 2010's.

I think Mortal Kombat 1995 is basically good. It's not a 10/10 but it's very entertaining and easy to watch. Some "famously bad" movies like Super Mario Bros from the 90s and Doom from 2005 I would rate much less harshly than contemporary critics did. I would give Doom 2005 one thumb up (18% critic score). Silent Hill 2006 is pretty good (33% critic score). Resident Evil 2002 is good (Critic score 36%), even though the sequels basically all suck (a few are enjoyable-ish).

I think you can see the shift just in cultural receptiveness to these brands and types of stories when you compare stuff from the 90s or early 00s to their later incarnations. The Angelina Jolie Tomb Raiders are hovering in the 20% critic score range while the Alicia Vikander Tomb Raider is at 50% - the former are a lot more fun and I would say much better films. But they were also silly films, which hurt them with professional critics. Similarly, looking at the progression of Resident Evil Films, the actually really solid 2002 original has a lower score than "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter", which is a total pile of dung. What changed? Well, by 14 years later, the inmates were running the assylum. The kids who grew up on this stuff were now in charge of reviews at a lot of outlets, and they were a lot more ok with movies being silly dumb fun.

Excellent post and strongly agree.

The Angelina Tomb Raider movies are good goddammit.

OP
OP
Bman94

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
So there's exceptions of course like Pokémon, and I'd argue Sonic SATM and Sonic Boom, but the majority are still extremely lack luster. I re-watched Mortal Kombat a few years ago right before the reboot came out and outside of it being campy and fun to laugh at, it doesn't hold up well, nor does the live action fighter movie. I haven't seen the Tekken movies since I'm not into Tekken so I can't speak on them, but I don't recall them ever being super highly rated.

Like that gif from the resident evil movie of the cop guy getting sliced, like why is that even in there lmao, just give me creepy horror not these weird super cybernetic shit lol

Jul 14, 2023
There's probably some solid anime or OVA adaptations of video games.

Do visual novel adaptations count? There's a few that wound up becoming more well-known than the originals.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I felt like videogames had "made it" when the Tomb Raider film came out in 2001, right at the peak of the franchise's popularity. Earlier films based on videogames were B-tier, but Tomb Raider was an actual Hollywood blockbuster starring Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. FF Spirits Within also released that summer. Things were looking good for that short period of time!

FamilyTeam

Mar 19, 2024
Brazil
Yeah this is difficult because we've had good videogame adaptations here and there, and others that while not "traditionally good" in any sense of the word, were still enjoyed by fans or just regular movie watchers (like Mortal Kombat as mentioned). I wouldn't even consider almost every single recent adaptation to be good, either.

I'm surprised how many people are bringing up Pokémon as an example of a good adaptation though. Successful? Absolutely. Good??? Some of the movies are alright. Non-main series Pokémon anime specials here and there like Origins were pretty good even if very simple and mostly a fanservice fest. The actual main Pokémon anime though is the very definition of grey mush, though. Unless you're watching the seasons you grew up with and through a very thick layer of nostalgia glasses, a lot of that show is straight up unfit for human consumption. I tried watching it as an adult, man, it just didn't work. Like, at all.

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
Superhero comics are around since 1935 and the first legit good movie was Superman 76. And the second one was Tim Burton's Batman in 1989.

Those things take time, man.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic and Mario dont have critical acclaim though?

Mario has a Rotten rating (albeit by only 1% away from). It's what caused critics to be harassed last year with people claiming that they were out of touch and just didn't get games. A particularly amusing argument considering just a few months earlier they gave TLoU a 96% rating.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Mario has a Rotten rating (albeit by only 1% away from). It's what caused critics to be harassed last year with people claiming that they were out of touch and just didn't get games. A particularly amusing argument considering just a few months earlier they gave TLoU a 96% rating.

Yeah using Sonic and Mario in the examples is just odd unless the point was commercially successful