• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Like that gif from the resident evil movie of the cop guy getting sliced, like why is that even in there lmao, just give me creepy horror not these weird super cybernetic shit lol

That scene is even more baffling in that - it starts with vertical lasers, then horizontal lasers, then finally does the full grid lasers. Like...why? If it's a security system that is supposed to keep people out, why would there be two easy to dodge lasers before the impossible to dodge laser? Why not just have one impossible to dodge laser? Is it a security system with a sense of humor?

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Street Fighter the animated movie was released 30 years ago and is still unmatched.

Fun fact - Bryan Cranston voiced Fei Long

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
TV in general has improved massively since the Oz/Sopranos era. It was only natural that games adaptations would benefit eventually. It did take a while to get here from then admittedly. TV has never been better.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat Defenders of the Realm was quality tv. I enjoyed a lot of the shows/cartoons they did for games back then.

Nov 3, 2017
It took comics 40 years. Hell, it took another 37/39 years for the second "true"wave(between Superman II and Blade/X-Men).

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It took thousands of years for books to get their first quality film adaptation, so I think games are doing pretty well in comparison.

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think it took people who actually understand and love videogames getting into positions of decision making in the industry

PS_Snake

Jun 11, 2023
I think the real answer is the decision makers and creators of today actually played the video games they are adapting and have a genuine love for them.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
People saying it took thousands of years for books to get a film adaptation, when the film medium hasn't even been around that long haha.

But yeah, complete clueless morons used to make VG adaptations. Now a lot more people who actually played the games make them.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
That scene is even more baffling in that - it starts with vertical lasers, then horizontal lasers, then finally does the full grid lasers. Like...why? If it's a security system that is supposed to keep people out, why would there be two easy to dodge lasers before the impossible to dodge laser? Why not just have one impossible to dodge laser? Is it a security system with a sense of humor?

It's controlled by an AI so...maybe?

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Not really that crazy. Pac Man was popular but how (and more importantly why) would you even adapt it in the 70s?

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
I think it's less of 'video games are finally getting good adaptations', and more of 'people stop being unreasonably harsh at video game adaptations because they're based on video games'.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was a fun film.
Warcraft was freaking GREAT and it's a crime it didn't get a sequel.
Mortal Kombat was so popular when I was a kid I was sure the games were based on the movie and not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of shit video game adaptations... but there's a lot of shit movies! Nobody wants to make a bad movie. It happens. But the 'video game adaptation' curse was broken long ago.