Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A group of men wearing identical white masks stapled posters with the slogan "It's okay to be white," on poles throughout downtown Halifax on Wednesday night, sparking concerns of racism.

Jody Corkum had just finished his dinner at a Barrington Street restaurant when he saw "four or five" men in masks and dark clothing. At first he thought they were Halloween revellers.

"But they're posting stuff along the way as they're walking down the street," he said. "When I looked at the poster… it says 'It's okay to be white.'"

He found the message disturbing for its "undertones" of racial intolerance.

It appeals, he says, to the insecurity of some who feel threatened by people of colour.

"Anyone who pays attention to politics south of the border, I think, will look at that and be equally disturbed," he said.

Corkum, who's a member of the Royal Canadian Navy, reported it to police but was told the posters could not be termed "hate speech."
Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/okay-to-be-white-halifax-1.4887174

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Did they wait until Halloween to do this so they could wear masks and not look as suspicious lol.

Oct 27, 2017
White Fragility is an epidemic.

Won't someone think of these poor privileged souls threatened by the representation of others who aren't white!

Ah, doesn't matter. We coming for ya whether you ready or not, snowflakes.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Sure, but the problem is some shitheads don't think it's okay to be anything but white.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Everyone should carry a big black sharpie around and write "No it isn't" on the signs. Just to troll the people putting them up.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Counter protest to this:

Go all lives matter on them, post posters near the white posters that say "it's okay to be any race".

Reasoning: This is an attempt to provoke the left by making them rage at what is a fakely innocuous poster, and to acuse POC of racism if they "imply being white is not okay".

So by doing this "It's okay to be any race" thing, then if THEY get mad about it, they lose.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
for a laugh google the demographics of Halifax

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Counter protest to this:

Go all lives matter on them, post posters near the white posters that say "it's okay to be any race".

Reasoning: This is an attempt to provoke the left by making them rage at what is a fakely innocuous poster, and to acuse POC of racism if they "imply being white is not okay".

So by doing this "It's okay to be any race" thing, then if THEY get mad about it, they lose.
That or just write "not" between "to" and "be."
"It's okay to not be white."

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Yes, let's all ignore racist bullshit because that's what makes it go away. That's why there was no racism until abolitionists decided we should talk about slavery.
Yes, that's exactly what I said, word for word. Your deductive skills are amazing.

Anyway, this is not the first time this exact thing was done, and bait is pretty obvious. They post this crap, you get your panties in a twist, then they go around screaming "SEEEEE we told you that these people are anti-white"

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
That or just write "not" between "to" and "be."
"It's okay to not be white."

If you do that these assholes would accuse you of invalidating their supposed plea to not see white people as the villian, if you antagonize these posters in any way you give them what they want.

That's why you do your own poster that validates every other race, if they vandalize YOUR poster, they lose, because they expose themselves as the racist they are.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Counter protest to this:

How can you tell this is an innocuous poster trying to bait the left? Straight pride would seem to fall into that at first glance but has been a running idea for years now stupid people take quite seriously. Blue Lives Matter sounds like a parody response to Black Lives Matter but is quite real. The term white genocide sounds like a joke but is taken very seriously by racists. What's we see as trolling today can easily by a rallying cry for assholes tomorrow.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
How can you tell this is an innocuous poster trying to bait the left? Straight pride would seem to fall into that at first glance but has been a running idea for years now stupid people take quite seriously. Blue Lives Matter sounds like a parody response to Black Lives Matter but is quite real. The term white genocide sounds like a joke but is taken very seriously by racists. What's we see as trolling today can easily by a rallying cry for assholes tomorrow.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it totally is a rally cry for white supremacists, but what is at play here is trying to bait into the "so much for the tolerant left" narrative.

The poster pretends to be innocuos to bait leftist into coming off as intolerant by rejecting the poster.

It's bait, don't take the bait, reply with bait of your own.

Oct 27, 2017
I will have to go around ripping these down on the weekend. Thanks for giving me a purpose besides Red Dead this weekend fragile whites!

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm perfectly happy to be white, I don't need any fucking reassurance from some loser crypto-racists.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You live in fucking Canada, of course it's ok to be white.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, don't get me wrong, it totally is a rally cry for white supremacists, but what is at play here is trying to bait into the "so much for the tolerant left" narrative.

The poster pretends to be innocuos to bait leftist into coming off as intolerant by rejecting the poster.

It's bait, don't take the bait, reply with bait of your own.

I understand that there has to be some calculation for when to respond directly and when to ignore or make your own bait so you don't appear insane, but it's pretty hard to find the line. Prominent white supremacists have made it clear that their strategy is exactly this - tell "jokes" that are racist, desensitize people, fall back on the defense that it was just a joke, code symbols so other racists understand them but you have a way to make others who notice them look nuts, etc.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
What the hell is wrong with these white people? I am white, and this kind of behavior is obnoxious, embarrassing, and greatly dismaying.

It's okay to be white, but it's not okay to be an egocentric, xenophobic, bigoted fucking moron. Grow up.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
It's a shame, I adopted Halifax as one of my dream immigration destinations. Then again no area is immune from racist idiocy, so I guess I won't remove it from the list.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
ftfy

Sometimes I think people generalise too much with white people online but then I go outside and I am afforded every opportunity to succeed and face no discrimination.... yeah, not feeling too persecuted these days.
Oh I know I'm just saying Canada/Halifax is overwhelmingly white lol