Would you say that you are "proud" to be an American right now?

• Yes

Votes: 164 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 825 83.4%

• Total voters

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's the 4th and I am just seeing a stream of patriotic red, white, and blue pictures and comments all across social media today. Many talk about how "proud" they are to be from the US and how happy they are that it's the 4th. Several of my neighbors have even decked out their houses in over the top 4th of July decorations and are very clearly throwing parties despite the pandemic. Merica this and Merica that. God Bless America.

But I just can't get excited for the 4th like I used to. The last time I properly enjoyed a good 4th of July was like 2015. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy spending time with my family and friends on the 4th. Well normally i would but lol Covid. I'm just talking about the patriotism that is usually exhibited on the 4th. I just don't have it in me. Everything has gotten so unbelievably toxic and dangerous here these past 4 years that I just can't say with a straight face that I am "proud" to be an American anymore.

Can you?

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
No one in the right mind would be proud right now. We literally had 100k+ Americans died in the past couple months.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not. Haven't you learned anything that this country has never been anything besides shit to most of it's people

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I actually used to be the type of loser that would tear up a bit at the national anthem.

Time has worn away at that sense of patriotism.

I hate this country a little more every day and I can't look at "patriotic" people the same way anymore. What an absolute joke...

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Dual citizen here. US & Colombia. I celebrate Colombia's holidays and have their flag in my home. I will never do the same for the USA. I am ashamed to be American. Colombia has a long way to go in social progress, but I give it slack because it suffered a tremendous guerrilla/civil war in the 80s/90s, but at least its making an earnest effort for progress in comparison to the US.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Coronavirus_illustration.jpg

If you squint, it even looks like fireworks! AMERICUH

And no, not really proud of this shit show the past several years.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Depends on how you define pride. I don't think anyone should take any particular fulfilment in their nationality. But I'm not ashamed to be an American either. Despite the problems. Despite the history. I'm glad to be here and still have a profound love for this country. We can make it. We will make it. But it has not nor will it ever be easy.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a patriotic bone in my body. This country has never good for me or my people.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I'm proud of some aspects, not proud of others. I'm glad I was born here, in some ways being born in other countries would have been better.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the wrong site to ask about American pride.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I actually used to be the type of loser that would tear up a bit at the national anthem.

Time has worn away at that sense of patriotism.

I hate this country a little more every day and I can't look at "patriotic" people the same way anymore. What an absolute joke...
Basically where I am at. I used to have that sense of pride, but reality and my knowledge of history has slowly eaten away at it to the point where there is nothing left now. And I don't really see it ever coming back.

The realization that your country was founded by terrible people, has been terrible throughout it's entire existence, and half of it is still filled with terrible people kind of shatters the whole "patriotic" angle.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, primarily because being an American isn't something I earned or achieved; it's something I was born into.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
There's only a few things throughout american history that I am proud of what the nation did, WW2 and the American Revolution, so not really other than that. I'm proud of groups that protested against injustices since WW2 (civil rights, women's rights, BLM, Vietnam, etc), but i am not proud of the country itself if that makes sense.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on who you believe represents America: the oppressors who have massacred and destroyed and still to this day oppress minorities, or the oppressed that fight eternally for justice and equality.

Seeing how today is a day of celebrating independence for white men, a day that didn't lead to freedom for countless slaves, I say what's there to be celebrating and proud of.

I'm proud of the history of those that fought and still fight for equality, not for a flag or some wars. I want to continue their fight, and be proud of that.

Dec 21, 2017
I'm proud of my state. I feel it's one of the better ones in the country.

With that said, a number of other states/factors weigh down the rest of us.

If anything, there's a small sense of optimism that things could get better in the future, but presently speaking no.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been super big into the whole patriotism/national pride thing -- even growing up, my family didn't do much. We'd go to the occasional fireworks show sometimes, or maybe grill a little bit? But no huge parties or fireworks at home or anything. So I wouldn't ever say I've really had a lot of "pride" in being American, and I've always found the whole thing a bit cringey, and that kind of nationalism a bit dangerous.

At the moment, I've never had less pride in this country, though. Ugh.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm proud of the people in the street coming together to advocate for meaningful change while also being disgusted that a racist grifter like Donald Trump could be elected POTUS of this nation and people blindly follow his lead.

But I also believe that patriotism is silly. It's loyalty to real estate.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
America too often does little I feel proud about. It's a country that pathetically ride its role in WW2 to perpetual heroic status and to ignore its atrocious history.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I've literally never been able to differentiate patriotism and nationalism. I'm not proud of a government that has interfered in much of the world's problems, that under represents its own progressive voices, that suppresses people within and out, that doesn't value the health and education of it's own people, or bothers to care for the weak.

Shit country to be honest.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
While things still need to be worked out obviously, I was born here and I can't think of living anywhere else (NYC btw). While the problem in this country doesn't begin or end with Trump, he will pass and that gives hope that maybe this country will improve. The pendulum always swings. I'm proud of the opportunity it gave me and my family but I look forward to the opportunity this country has to grow and change in the future.

My parents have lived here for 45 years after escaping religious discrimination and religious segregation in Pakistan (we're Catholic) and they usually say that compared to what they faced over there they're thankful to have the opportunity to be here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Not feeling very patriotic at the moment. Not a very good time for me at the moment. Having Covid, disfunctional family plus all of this shit going on in this country.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I'm not ashamed really either, but taking pride in my country has never really been my thing. I don't really get it. I just live here.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I'm not American so I won't answer the poll, but I'll say this: I'm Norwegian, but the concept of being proud of that fact strikes me as bizarre. I didn't work to be Norwegian. The fact that I am one has nothing to do with me or the choices I have made in life. What reason is there for me to be proud of that? Sure, I could be proud of Norway as a country, but that's something entirely different from what this thread is about.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I'm proud of the people protesting and marching to create freedom and equal justice in this nation. I'm proud of the people who are working on trying to make us healthy again even if the powers that be are trying to stop them whether through actions or words. That is the America I am proud of.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once I pay off my student loan debt, I'm going to try to peace out of this country. I'm not going to stick around just to have my student loan debt be replaced by the inevitable medical debt from this stupid ass healthcare system we have.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how you define pride. I don't think anyone should take any particular fulfilment in their nationality. But I'm not ashamed to be an American either. Despite the problems. Despite the history. I'm glad to be here and still have a profound love for this country. We can make it. We will make it. But it has not nor will it ever be easy.

Sums up my feelings.

Oct 29, 2017
I've always been suspicious of patriotism as a concept, and America hasn't been doing enough for me to feel any pride for it lately.

So no.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
I used to fall for the patriotism propaganda even though I was aware of America's imperial and racist history.

I'm not falling for it anymore. July 4th, Veterans Day, and Memorial Day are just bank holidays to me now.