• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.newsweek.com/ocasio-cortez-republicans-hypocritical-tlaib-1280416

You don't need to click the link. The title is ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ: HYPOCRITICAL REPUBLICANS FORGIVE TRUMP'S SEXUAL ASSAULT, BUT OUTRAGED BY TLAIB'S SWEARING.

When we use the word hypocrisy I feel we generally use it to refer to the person doing it perceives something as morally good but disregarded it due to not thinking about their actions or indifference.

But hypocrisy really doesn't drive home exactly what is going on here. None of the hypocritical actions of the Republican party and the alt-right (aside from possibly new recruits) is done by accident or irrationally fueled by emotion.

Their outrage is fake. Their intent is clear. To oppress the opposing group so they can do anything they want.

Is there a word that exists for this? If not what would be fitting as a new word?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hypocrisy is more deliberate and infers much more agency than your definition . If it were an error of self recognition it would not be exclusively used as a quite serious insult.

In fact the escalation requires prefixed adjectives like blatant or outrageous rather than an escalated term.

It's already on the top floor.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with OP. In the case of these conservatives doofuses they don't give one shit about being consistent. They don't care if the left calls them out for being hypocrites.

OP
OP
mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Hypocrisy is more deliberate and infers much more agency than your definition . If it were an error of self recognition it would not be exclusively used as a quite serious insult.

In fact the escalation requires prefixed adjectives like blatant or outrageous rather than an escalated term.

It's already on the top floor.
It's a mistake on my part getting the actual definition wrong but when this word is thrown around there doesn't seem to be any understanding or agreement with the deliberate intentions part among people who clearly skim news instead of embroil themselves in it. The word isn't as effective as it should be in framing conversations.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One problem is the media's need to present hypocrisy as if it were honest intent and almost always refusing to contextualize it against the offenders most recent example. The Cortes example in the OP should be in every mainstream story about the conservative outrage but is not. And one side has created a lopsided Victimhood industry that would literally activate the second a news channel tried it.

Would be one thing if the media actually calibrated based on facts but they calibrate based on the success of right wing assaults on their veracity. And the right wing knows it and plans based on that imbalance.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.newsweek.com/ocasio-cortez-republicans-hypocritical-tlaib-1280416

You don't need to click the link. The title is ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ: HYPOCRITICAL REPUBLICANS FORGIVE TRUMP'S SEXUAL ASSAULT, BUT OUTRAGED BY TLAIB'S SWEARING.

When we use the word hypocrisy I feel we generally use it to refer to the person doing it perceives something as morally good but disregarded it due to not thinking about their actions or indifference.

But hypocrisy really doesn't drive home exactly what is going on here. None of the hypocritical actions of the Republican party and the alt-right (aside from possibly new recruits) is done by accident or irrationally fueled by emotion.

Their outrage is fake. Their intent is clear. To oppress the opposing group so they can do anything they want.

Is there a word that exists for this? If not what would be fitting as a new word?
"Disingenuous" is the word you're looking for.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm reading it right, you want a distinction between genuine or honest hypocrisy, i.e. done accidentally and/or without malice, and malicious hypocrisy, i.e. done as a result of trying to control a narrative. And honestly the qualifiers I'm using sound better than any attempt at a single word.

"Disingenuous" is the word you're looking for.

This works too.

OP
OP
mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm reading it right, you want a distinction between genuine or honest hypocrisy, i.e. done accidentally and/or without malice, and malicious hypocrisy, i.e. done as a result of trying to control a narrative. And honestly the qualifiers I'm using sound better than any attempt at a single word.

This works too.

You are reading it right and I do like using disingenuous myself.

I think reapplying word mendacious would be the most fitting.