• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should it be the norm for kids to choose their own name when they reach a certain age?

• Yes

Votes: 194 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,201 86.1%

• Total voters

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't we call kids who are younger than 8 by the last 2 digits of their social security number in situations where there are many children (classroom setting, etc.). Family vocabulary can be used at home like "son", "daughter" etc. if this is too clinical sounding for parents.

To answer your question about foisting the responsibility of choosing a name on a child. I don't imagine this question would be suddenly thrust upon a kid without prior preparation by parents/ teachers/etc. I was raised Catholic and received first communion around that age. I had to take CCD (religious education) classes leading up to receiving the sacrament for the first time to understand the importance of it as part of the religious ceremony.

Likewise, choosing a name would be treated like an important societal rite of passage. Parents and teachers would confer the importance of the event on the child and offer guidance well in advance of the choice. Additionally, as I stated in the OP, the child would be presented and taught hundreds of possible names in the months leading up to the ceremony to make it less likely they name themselves "Roblox" or whatever they're interested in at that moment (however if a child was set on being called Roblox they could do that).
I'm kind of curious but when is the last time you ever had any sort of sustained interaction with a child?

Oct 29, 2017
Parents will sit with their kids and tell them what name they will like the kid to choose, reiterate how important it is for them that they choose it, how sad mommy and daddy will be if they don't, and some maybe imply on top of that how Santa will not be able to find who they are if they chose a name that is not the one expected of them.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Parents will sit with their kids and tell them what name they will like the kid to choose, reiterate how important it is for them that they choose it, how sad mommy and daddy will be if they don't, and some maybe imply on top of that how Santa will not be able to find who they are if they chose a name that is not the one expected of them.

Another great point. How do you stop parents from influencing their choice? Kids look up to their parents and are impressionable from their opinion. Many parents will just simply push them in the direction that they want. Just like many do for the career direction of their child.

There's just simply all sorts of reason why the OP's idea just doesn't work.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
People say kids would just choose stupid stuff but I feel for the kids at my school whose parents saddled them with terrible butler names like "Brentley"

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
My parents named me Irie. I had it changed to Irisviel because Irie was the shorthand for Irisviel in an anime I watched and I suddenly felt like my birth name was just a nickname. That was the entire reason, I was a kid and didn't want a nickname or shorthand as my name. I'm 21 now and don't regret it, too many people mispronounced my name as eerie. The most annoying part is my smug parents will still call me by my birth name since it is the shorthand/nickname for my current name.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't we call kids who are younger than 8 by the last 2 digits of their social security number in situations where there are many children (classroom setting, etc.). Family vocabulary can be used at home like "son", "daughter" etc. if this is too clinical sounding for parents.

This sounds like a scheme an AI would come up with based on an extremely vague description of how human relationships work

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
So, xxxDarkShad0w666, what made you choose to apply for our graduate scheme, here at Goldmann Sachs?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's been said already, but can you imagine how many Sephiroth, and Naruto's there would be?

Just think of the names people had of their PSN, Xbox, or whatever accounts and had a problem changing to something that isn't as weird as they grew up.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
I voted yes. And heck I actually did end up changing my name too. I named myself after an anime character I liked. Took a while for my family to get used to it but they were all pretty accepting.
This could easily read as me poking fun at this, but I am genuinely being serious. And I do genuinely believe people should be allowed to choose their own name. The only reason you hit no is because of tradition. I suppose I left out some important story details regarding my story, but I'd rather not talk about certain things about myself you know.
So yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
Naming kids numbers instead of letting their mind mature, grow as a person and have the option of freely changing their name when of legal age if they want to.

What the hell am I reading.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure why government even needs to know your name. We have ID numbers for a reason. Changing your name should't even be a process. Just include ID numbers in any important documents and leave it at that. Maybe I feel like a Eustace tomorrow. Maybe I feel like a Pedro next year. Maybe I'll feel like a Working yet? my entire life. I don't need these decisions cemented. I am a bird. Freedom is mine.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is how it works at the moment though. You're given a name and then at a certain age you're able to change that name should you wish to. It's just most people don't.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
If it was the norm at 8, I would have chosen either Luke Skywalker or Dutch.

I actually did change my name when I was 21. I am so glad I was an adult when I chose as my name is so much more significant to me rather than just some character I liked from a movie.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I find it weird picking your own name, it's like giving yourself a trophy you made yourself.

Also since I work at a school district I've seen kids who were able to pick their own name.... ya I'm not sure we should give them that much power.

Ultimately, it's their life so whatever.. but it's weird imo.
Especially wince at 18 people are edgy and dumb. There would be so many people named Shadow and stuff like that walking around if people got to choose

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
Another great point. How do you stop parents from influencing their choice? Kids look up to their parents and are impressionable from their opinion. Many parents will just simply push them in the direction that they want. Just like many do for the career direction of their child.

There's just simply all sorts of reason why the OP's idea just doesn't work.
The simple solution is to keep kids and parents seperate from each other for the first 8 years of their life

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My parents actually offered me the chance to change my name when I was around 11 years old or so. I thought about it for awhile because I was weirdly self conscious about my name at the time, even though it's a very normal ass name, but I ended up deciding to keep my name.

I've grown to like my name, because even though it's a normal ass name, it's at least way less common than shit ultra common names like John, Robert, Brian, etc.

Jan 10, 2018
I find it weird picking your own name, it's like giving yourself a trophy you made yourself.

Also since I work at a school district I've seen kids who were able to pick their own name.... ya I'm not sure we should give them that much power.

Ultimately, it's their life so whatever.. but it's weird imo.

Prestige has nothing to do with it. It's about the identity that you choose for yourself which should ultimately be your own choice. A name is a powerful identifier as it's probably the most common word that people will use to describe or adress you. It's not weird at all to want to have some kind of influence over that word.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
My younger sister went to middle school with a kid whose parents let them name themself.

I'm not going to post the name here but it wasn't far off from Max Power.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I voted yes. And heck I actually did end up changing my name too. I named myself after an anime character I liked. Took a while for my family to get used to it but they were all pretty accepting.
This could easily read as me poking fun at this, but I am genuinely being serious. And I do genuinely believe people should be allowed to choose their own name. The only reason you hit no is because of tradition. I suppose I left out some important story details regarding my story, but I'd rather not talk about certain things about myself you know.
So yeah.

I hit 'no' partially because you are still free to do exactly what you did at a point when you were able to make a conscious decision about it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while tbh. But I feel like kids are smarter than we give them credit for.
Smart does not have much to do with here. Kids inherently lack the ability to perceive long term ramifications because they haven't been alive for more than a couple of years. 1 year feels like an eternity when you are a kid let alone understand the scale of a lifetime...even if you you know how many years that can be in terms of pure numbers.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This was pretty common in East Asia.

en.m.wikipedia.org

Courtesy name - Wikipedia

A courtesy name is a name traditionally given to Chinese men at the age of 20 sui, marking their coming of age. It was sometimes given to women, usually upon marriage. The practice is no longer common in modern Chinese society. According to the Book of Rites, after a man reached adulthood, it was disrespectful for others of the same generation to address him by his given name. Thus, the given name was reserved for oneself and one's elders, whereas the courtesy name would be used by adults of the same generation to refer to one another on formal occasions or in writing.

It was very common for people to have two or three names back then. Their birth name, childhood name, their adult name, maybe their pen name, and some were even given a religious name as they were given up for "adoption" to a certain god so they were bestowed protection.

Even the first leader of the Republic of China (Taiwan) Chiang Kai-shek had several names and Kai-shek isn't even his birth name. Most of the time he is referred to as Chiang Chung-cheng in Chinese. It's only in English language books and academia that the Kai-shek name is used more often.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
people already do this now, naming themselves as they see fit if it's discordant with their own self identity. Already a mechanism to even legally change one's name, although that could certainly be a cheaper process.

vast majority of people are fine with their given names, so this seems like a convoluted solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you and all your friends named after renaissance painters?

Though as someone posted above, it's not uncommon in other historical cultures. The names in Three Kingdoms era china are interesting, since courtesy naming works a little differently to western ideas of nicknames and formal names.
And nobles seemed to collect new names like pokemon in Sengoku period Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
At 8 years old? No

At 18 and older? Yes. You should be encouraged to change your name free of charge/hassle if you dont like the one you were given.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to name my kid Vercingetorix and my wife is like what is that? And I'm all that's the dude who almost didn't entirely get his ass whooped by Julius Caesar. She goes why name our kid after a loser? I say because it sounds badass.

Oct 26, 2017
It's never made sense to me, especially since the vast majority of people end up with a generic name that's either chosen from a relative's name, or a trendy list.

Always felt a much better convention would be for the parents to select a "birth name" which then becomes your middle name when you turn 18. At 18 you fill out a form to select a first name.

Yeah, people can change their name legally at any time, but it never seems to occur to most because we are conditioned to accept the parentally chosen name.

Interesting concept. A lot of people I've talked to felt that by the time they were 18, whatever name they were given at birth had grown on them and become assimilated into their identity. And most of those that still hated theirs indeed changed it. So I wonder if things would be all that different in your scenario. Not to mention the incredible inconvenience of having to re-educate everyone you've ever known.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like subconsciously I'll always refer to myself as my original name.
Your parents give you your life and your name. Anything after that is up to them. Being able to change it when you're older is all you need.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I mean, you can choose your own name when you reach a certain age, where I am, as long as you pay the fee and do all the work for it, you can change it at 16. That's the age.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol as many others pointed out, kids would name themselves narutosaksuke69 if they had the chance which is worse than anything a parent could come up with -for the most part-.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Kids do choose their own names all the time. It used to be nicknames, but nowadays its kids' online handles. Equally they also have the choice to be known by their actual name.

What you're describing is formalising this in to a system where kids are forced to make a decision about their legal name, when they may not want to, and also forcing kids under a certain age to be called Child49, Child76.

It seems like you think this is giving people freedom of choice, but actually what you're describing is something you'd find in a dystopian nightmare.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
If you wanna call yourself ToddBonzalez, go head!

Unless it's a bad meaning, I think just keep the name. Oh, or if your name comes from a bad place e.g. your parent was shit but you have their last name, I get wanting to change there too.

I'd pick a crap name for myself and never be satisfied. I probably wouldn't have picked my current name! And for that, I love my name as it is. No change for me please.

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All the people talking about being able to change names once its legal for them are forgetting that in many places it is deliberately hard to get a name change done.

I for one think that everyone should be allowed a free name change at 25. It also just shouldn't be so many damn hoops to jump through for it under other circumstances.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I chose my own name when I was 10. It's not on my legal paperwork, but no one I know calls me my legal name except some people at work who've only ever seen my paperwork, or my doctor's office.

You can just choose your name and tell people to call you it... Short of attempting fraud or identity theft, no one's going to be bothered by it.

That "some person" being the person who formed you and gave you life :P

Not sure how that changes the point.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Good grief no. Just make name changes at age 18+ easier.

Kids can already go by a nickname or chosen name if they want. I know tons of people who don't go by their legal first name.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If my parents gave me life, I should have the decency to carry the name they gave me, unless I hate the name or have zero connection to my parents. Letting kids or teens choose their name doesn't sound wise. I would have named myself after my favorite food or cartoon character. Imagine all the people named Super Mario we'd have in the world if this was a thing from 30 years ago. We would have had the great Ma-ri-oh vs Marry-oh pronunciation debate in our everyday lives.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If my parents gave me life, I should have the decency to carry the name they gave me, unless I hate the name or have zero connection to my parents. Letting kids or teens choose their name doesn't sound wise. I would have named myself after my favorite food or cartoon character. Imagine all the people named Super Mario we'd have in the world if this was a thing from 30 years ago. We would have had the great Ma-ri-oh vs Marry-oh pronunciation debate in our everyday lives.
<_< not going to say adults are that much better about this...

www.phillyvoice.com

'Game of Thrones' baby names are surging in popularity

Shockingly people aren't naming their children after Cersei

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I'm surprised so many people are against this. I guess that it's easier to assume most people will be stupid picking their own names as opposed to picking someone else's name.

Or it's just that thing again with "it's always been like this, I don't like the idea of it not being like this". Also "the person who gave you life" lmao what a ridiculous argument. There's not special merit to raising your own child you know? That's like, the bare minimum you should do since once you decide to have one. They don't actually literally own you for it.