• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017

The reason why I make this thread is the music Bobby Krlic made for Returnal, specifically the piece created for the Hyperion boss fight. It's just such a dynamic piece of music and even without experiencing the fight, you can totally get an idea of the fight through the composition and evolution of said track.

With so many games releasing these days, it's super easy to miss out on some really magical music moments. Especially when there's so many factors that limit your exposure, like critical reception, the platform, your progression in the game in so on. But every now and then you come across a track that is so good that it deserves exposure regardless of what you may think about the original game. So whether it's a whimsical town track, an unappreciated piece of menu music, or a blood-pumping boss fight banger, let's bring celebrate the best of contemporary game music in this thread!

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017

I don't even particularly like the game or other tracks on the soundtrack, but this one slaps.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This vocal track from NEO: The World Ends With You is wonderful:

As is this very vaporwave-y one:

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
It's not that contemporary (if by contemporary you mean this year) but Genshin Impacts tracks for the first world are real legit. Love that battle theme.

I also thought about linking to the Off-Peak soundtrack which is a great mix of Jazz and Electronic music but it's from 2015 so whatever.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Persona 5 has so many bangers but Layer Cake (air soft shop) is my favorite:

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
Ah yes, there's also OMORI.

It also has one of the best Final Boss themes, themaically AND musically, but linking that video is kinda a huge spoiler, so I'm putting it in one.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
There are a lot of great tunes on Streets of Rage 4's OST, but Rising Up is definitely my favourite track.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not sure if licensed music counts for this, but just finished Miles Morales, and really liked the beat from the song 'On My Own' that plays the first time you're swinging around the city. Felt it just set up the mood of the scene quite well.

Last edited:

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Mid-boss theme from Origami King:

And Yakuza: Like a Dragon has some great battle themes:

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Guilty Gear STRIVE - "The Disaster of Passion"

Love love LOVE the poppy Paramore feel. It's like a happier version of Misery Business.

wayward_

Oct 29, 2020

Such a shame it's almost impossible to hear or pay attention toduring the section it's used in.

Also, spoilers in the comments so don't scroll down!

Puru

Oct 28, 2017

I'm still in awe at this boss fight to be honest. It was so perfectly executed.

OP
OP
Gordon's Tulpa
Oct 28, 2017
It's not that contemporary (if by contemporary you mean this year) but Genshin Impacts tracks for the first world are real legit. Love that battle theme.

I also thought about linking to the Off-Peak soundtrack which is a great mix of Jazz and Electronic music but it's from 2015 so whatever.

GI legit has a beautiful soundtrack!! I love the Boreas battle theme as well! In fact, I feel that mobile games have done great work wrt to the audio across the board. Nier ReIncarnation has a beautiful soundtrack as well, and Ark Knights's theme/menu song is soothing enough to just have the game running in the background for some sweet relief

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018

This piece of music tied with the mood of the mission, the lighting and cinematography. One of my favorite moments in the game.

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Cyberpunk had a bunch of tracks I really liked. Some of the battle tracks, specifically... For example, in an early main story mission, you can do it stealthily but that won't trigger the battle music long enough for it to be satisfying. I ditched the stealth approach and paused a lot to ensure I got my fill 🙂 Or I would save after and then replay it more chaotically just to hear the tracks play out while fighting.

The cyberpsycho track is also good, and you don't have to "trick" it into playing.

OP
OP
Gordon's Tulpa
Oct 28, 2017
GI legit has a beautiful soundtrack!! I love the Boreas battle theme as well! In fact, I feel that mobile games have done great work wrt to the audio across the board. Nier ReIncarnation has a beautiful soundtrack as well, and Ark Knights's theme/menu song is soothing enough to just have the game running in the background for some sweet relief

another Gacha game with a sickening homescreen OST:

This is shit is addictive as all hell

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

Best OST since Automata and it just keeps better and better

Gotta post some of the amazing boss themes:

www.youtube.com

[Raiden Shogun] Genshin Impact Baal Battle Theme OST BGM

Inazuma BGM OST PLAYLIST:https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe4tI6ZWTqtbBfqRDe3TIBqIGCcyJWiYrGenshin Impact OST EXTENDED PLAYLIST:https://www.youtube.com/pla...

Always come back to this track and just bask in it.

A very underrated OST

another Gacha game with a sickening homescreen OST:

This is shit is addictive as all hell

All of the Daoko tracks in the game are bops