Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
A few weeks ago, I wanted to see if they have or plan to have a master piece version of the BumbleBee movie Optimus Prime. It's become one of my all time favorite designs of him. All I found was a simple toy, but in my search, I stumbled onto these 3rd party unlicensed "master piece" versions of the BumbleBee Optimus Prime instead. They look every bit as amazing as any of the license Hasbro/Takara toys! In fact, some of them are even better than the real deal. It's actually kind of insane! The engineering and love put into these are amazing! If Hasbro/Takara is not making a master piece version of your favorite character, there's a chance some 3rd party knock off of it exists, and they look just as good.

KR70T9d.jpg

WR7uFJu.jpg

Not only that, some of the 3rd party stuff do their own creative spin on an existing character that unmistakably captures the look of the character, but also very different from how the character actually looks in the show.

4R3oDPl.jpg

Here, can you even tell which one is the official Master Piece Optimus Prime and which one is the 3rd party knock off? I blocked out the official Transformers logo from their shoulders to make it harder to tell which is real and which is fake. The fake ones don't have the autobot insignia on it.

tX2wKXB.jpg

I mean, don't get me wrong, I've also seen trash 3rd party figures too. That's why you always look for reviews. The chance of a 3rd party knock off sucking is just as likely as an official toy sucking. The official toys also have had their fair shares of missteps.

A Quick Clarification On What These 3rd Party Unlicensed Toys Mean

1. Third party toys are not knock-offs. A knock-off is a duplicated version of a retail mold, often oversized, and sold as a bootleg copy of the official item. These are original designs of existing characters, which remains a copyright grey area but don't fit the definition of a knock-off. They're basically plastic versions of the art of copyrighted comic characters you get in artists' alleys at comic conventions.

2. Tons of third party stuff is 100% show accurate, or as close as they can be in plastic. FansToys figures are as G1 show accurate as anything being made by Hasbro/Takara. The only copyright avoidance things they need to do are the faction symbols and the character names.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Do they have a good G1 Sky Lynx. I would kill for one that doesn't cost a nard

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Ok you caught me off guard; I was expecting some go-bots level crap in this thread but what you posted is really good quality.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I own just over 900 Transformers toys, but I've never even once considered a 3rd party figure. I don't really know why. A part of me, deep down, feels kind of dirty about it, I guess. I don't begrudge anyone who does buy them, though--by most accounts, many of the popular 3rd Party figures are fantastic. Especially when they do characters Hasbro doesn't bother to make figures of.

I do think a part of my apprehension stems from the fact that Hasbro's recent collector-focused lines have been fantastic (Siege, Earthrise, Titans Return, Studio Series). I don't really feel the need to pay the often ungodly 3rd party prices when I can walk into Target and get damn good looking figures for $30. Hell, I don't even bother with the official Masterpieces anymore.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

Hasbro just released a new official Sky Lynx that is phenomenal.

hasbropulse.com

Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Commander Class W

Build the Battlefield Beyond -- The siege is over, but the War for Cybertron has just begun. The Autobots and Decepticons have left Cybertron, but their battle rages on as they speed through space in pursuit of the Allspark. Now, fighters must instantly adapt to battle anywhere in the cosmos...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hasbro just released a new official Sky Lynx that is phenomenal.

hasbropulse.com

Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Commander Class W

Build the Battlefield Beyond -- The siege is over, but the War for Cybertron has just begun. The Autobots and Decepticons have left Cybertron, but their battle rages on as they speed through space in pursuit of the Allspark. Now, fighters must instantly adapt to battle anywhere in the cosmos...
Are they limited? Cause i might have to save up for that.

In other news never thought someone would remake the last transformer i ever owned
hasbropulse.com

Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Leader WFC-E23 Do

I remember the wing hinges have a very satisfyingly feel to them

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

You want the knock off or the real deal? Both exists. If it's the knock off, it's called Mastermind Creations INVENTA.

SRMjvKl.jpg

Ok you caught me off guard; I was expecting some go-bots level crap in this thread but what you posted is really good quality.

You can get crap toys that are rushed with bad QC, but when they're good, they're GOOD!

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I've just remembered someone gifted me a 3rd-Party Tarn from the IDW comics a couple of years ago, so I do have one. He's pretty great, actually.

Are they limited? Cause i might have to save up for that.

In other news never thought someone would remake the last transformer i ever owned
hasbropulse.com

Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Leader WFC-E23 Do

I remember the wing hinges have a very satisfyingly feel to them

He's a mass-release and has had steady stock, so not limited as far as I'm aware.

DoubleDealer is also great. He's basically just the G1 toy with added articulation.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, some can be incredible:
Iron%20Trans%20IR-V01%20Star%20Blade%20by%20IAMNOFIRE%20(12)__scaled_800.jpg

They're gonna go full GaoGaiGar with him too:
Alas this one is official but screw it, still cool:
xzwxvwY.jpg

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Damn that TM2 Megatron looks better than the official figure. The dragon neck articulates -- it's not just floppy rubber for that gimmick where you pull the lever to make it move. And the robot mode looks more poseable too.

If I were collecting these things I'd track that one down for sure.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Third party is great. They make Masterpiece figures of characters that Hasbro/Takara probably never will. Such as my favorite Decepticon, Motormaster.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Damn that TM2 Megatron looks better than the official figure. The dragon neck articulates -- it's not just floppy rubber for that gimmick where you pull the lever to make it move. And the robot mode looks more poseable too.

The face in the picture is not even the real one. The figure comes with swappable faces that looks more show accurate. I think they put up the ugly face in promos for legal reasons.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Woah.

I came in here for some Robert Cop but these pieces are actually pretty cool.

Where would one go for such items?

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Third-parties are the shit. My fiancee bought me this beautiful bastard for Valentine's Day a few years back

reduced-image_12982_106.jpg

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I've just remembered someone gifted me a 3rd-Party Tarn from the IDW comics a couple of years ago, so I do have one. He's pretty great, actually.

It's MMC's, presumably. And they're almost finished the entire DJD (the two biggest are not out yet, though they are up for pre-order):

71965555_2494219397482212_1211021125459910235_n-jpg.28408587

3P toys are mostly out of my price range, but I did pick up MMC's Impactor second-hand, and he's absolutely wonderful. A perfect match for Hasbro's official Thrilling 30 Springer.

file.php

Last edited:

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
It'd be nice if they did non-G1 stuff but with a lot of the big stuff out of the way most third party stuff has become a sea of 3P combiners and the same stuff over and over again.

there is admittedly someone doing an Armada Optimus but his proportions are all wrong.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
...Okay I give up, which one is the knockoff Optimus?

The one of the left is the knock off.

Woah.

I came in here for some Robert Cop but these pieces are actually pretty cool.

Where would one go for such items?

I unironically would buy that OG Prime right now. Where can you get that? Is it diecast?

There are places like Big Bad Store store where you can buy. But I recommend googling the knock off toy's name first. That way you can google the real name of the toy and try and compare the prices.

I also don't know if the Optimus has diecast metal, but a lot of the 3rd party toys don't shy away from it. Most of the diecast is on the joints and hidden inside the figure.

This fucking thing transforms into a truck! It's pure black magic!

ErEVu2A.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I'll give them a gander.

Fair warning, 3rd parties can be pretty expensive. We're talking 120-150 per in some cases, and somtimes even more.

There's some more affordable options but you give up some things like G1 similarity or scale. Iron Factory for example is a little more Gundam-ish in their design, and Magic Square or DX-9 can have pretty well priced but much smaller.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019

There are places like Big Bad Store store where you can buy. But I recommend googling the knock off toy's name first. That way you can google the real name of the toy and try and compare the prices.

I also don't know if the Optimus has diecast metal, but a lot of the 3rd party toys don't shy away from it. Most of the diecast is on the joints and hidden inside the figure.

ErEVu2A.jpg

His robot mode looks good at first glance, but there are a lot of QC issues and many of the panels and pieces apparently don't lock together so parts like his chest don't look as good as they should. He's the best third party BB Optimus though, but their price is a little much for the quality you get.

My personal favorite 3P Prime of all time is Transform Element's TE-01. He's amazing.

fdf91cc9a8d73674f21129e9fffe5ca4.jpg

reduced-galery_image_15639_32880.jpg

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019

ErEVu2A.jpg

IS that Toyworld's Bumblebee Optimus? Cause I would hold off on that. Has serious QC issues, and the feet hang off the back of the truck mode.

And it also doesn't hold a candle to the absolute black magic that are Unique Toys' Bayformers figures:

9913FB7B-6BB5-4127-9B54-388A1FF8B737_512x.jpeg

7f2921e430aadea317f44c3bc5f69206

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
His robot mode looks good at first glance, but there are a lot of QC issues and many of the panels and pieces apparently don't lock together so parts like his chest don't look as good as they should. He's the best third party BB Optimus though, but their price is a little much for the quality you get.

This guy fixed it. He just moved a couple of panels around during the transformation and did a shake test.

The side panel he needed to file down the tabs for it to close.

That said, Freedom Leader is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my budget. That's why I posted the Weijiang Fire Scorpion in the OP. It looks on par and also has better QC.

My personal favorite 3P Prime of all time is Transform Element's TE-01. He's amazing.

That's the one I used in the OP. I compared it to the official MP44 Optimus Prime.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
IS that Toyworld's Bumblebee Optimus? Cause I would hold off on that. Has serious QC issues, and the feet hang off the back of the truck mode.

Yup. That's why I'm eyeing the Weijiang Fire Scorpion. It's better QC and MUCH cheaper.

fWY7zXH.jpg

And it also doesn't hold a candle to the absolute black magic that are Unique Toys' Bayformers figures:

I actually just finished watching a review of the Bayformers Prime and made the OP. I was really impressed with the quality even though I don't like Bayformers.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
A few clarifications from someone who's been doing the third party TF thing for many, many years.

I think the only real criticism of the well made knock offs is that they're not 100% show accurate. They do this to dance around the copyrights.

This is incorrect on two counts:

1. Third party toys are not knock-offs. A knock-off is a duplicated version of a retail mold, often oversized, and sold as a bootleg copy of the official item. These are original designs of existing characters, which remains a copyright grey area but don't fit the definition of a knock-off. They're basically plastic versions of the art of copyrighted comic characters you get in artists' alleys at comic conventions.

2. Tons of third party stuff is 100% show accurate, or as close as they can be in plastic. FansToys figures are as G1 show accurate as anything being made by Hasbro/Takara. The only copyright avoidance things they need to do are the faction symbols and the character names.

It's MMC's, presumably. And they're almost finished the entire DJD (the two biggest are not out yet, though they are up for pre-order):

71965555_2494219397482212_1211021125459910235_n-jpg.28408587

The purple big guy has been out since June. The tan one is still coming, probably within the next month or so. MMC's stuff is great, probably second only to FansToys, and the source of some of the only good figures of the Lost Light crew from the IDW comics.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
This guy fixed it. He just moved a couple of panels around during the transformation and did a shake test.

The side panel he needed to file down the tabs for it to close.

That said, Freedom Leader is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my budget. That's why I posted the Weijiang Fire Scorpion in the OP. It looks on par and also has better QC.

That's the one I used in the OP. I compared it to the official MP44 Optimus Prime.

Oh, okay. I couldn't tell if those were both the MP44 KO or not on my phone.

I caved and got the ThreeA BB Prime since I don't care about him transforming so I'm probably just spoiled by his bot mode.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I actually just finished watching a review of the Bayformers Prime and made the OP. I was really impressed with the quality even though I don't like Bayformers.

For anyone else in this thread who is curious:

And if you think that's impressive... they're also doing Galvatron from Age of Extinction:

48e44ba22c.jpg

A reminder that this is how this dude "transforms" in the source material:

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
A few clarifications from someone who's been doing the third party TF thing for many, many years.

This is incorrect on two counts:

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying this. I only just discovered the world of 3rd party Transformers toys and got sucked into the rabbit hole.

I'll add what you wrote into the OP.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're pretty amazing with some truly outstanding figures. I don't have the budget or space for them but they are fascinating to see.

I follow Emgo on Youtube and he posts daily videos of Transformers figures along with all manner of geeky toys. I'd say check him out if you're interested in how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
What have you done, OP? This is a dark rabbit hole to fall into. Generations has been killing it lately, but third party gives me designs Hasbro/Takara would never touch again.

For anyone interested, I'll talk a bit about the different scales you're dealing with in third-party. They boil down to three main ones. Personally I don't give a shit about scale, but if want a good-looking collection, it's a consideration.

1. Generations-scale (also known as CHUG-scale): These are close to the size Hasbro/Takara uses for their mass-retail Generations line, although I find they trend larger, with characters that would typically be Deluxe-class being closer to Voyager-class, using Hasbro's size terminology.

So far I have a couple of Mastermind Creations Reformatted figures (IDW comic designs) and I think I need to stick to them for budget's sake.
cypuveouuaa2caj-jpg.27641929

MMC Carnifex is my holy grail, but he's hard to find at a sane price these days.
Ct3uXosWcAALtVY.jpg

2. Masterpiece-scale: This is the largest scale, and made to complement Hasbro/Takara's high-end collector line. Usually these are based on the G1 cartoon, but this isn't always the case.

I'm personally not a fan of this look, but if you want cartoon-accuracy this scale provides.
959930d28c734ff20d6f5512d1b09e61.jpg

Some of these new combiners are especially tempting if you have money and shelf space (they're MASSIVE)...
Mastermind-Creations-Ocular-Max-Assaultus-02.jpg

More stylized designs also exist in this scale. There's a new Predaking (by Cang Toys) I'm eyeing, but they haven't shown the combined mode and at probably in the range of a thousand Canadian it'll remain a distant dream:
s90mzjqmepq41.jpg

3. Legends-scale: This is the smallest and cheapest scale, which also means there's more and more characters made. For people who want to maximize their budget and space, this is an abyss from which there can be no escape:
legends_collection_2.jpg

iron_factory_decepitcons_1.jpg

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well show off the crew a bit.

This is my Masterpiece setup. The majority of these are third party, intermingled with official Hasbro/Takara MPs, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The empty spaces are reserved for future combiner teams in the process of coming out.

ZDRhI42.jpg

VLiEHDX.jpeg

XbSXntY.jpeg

l8Pcaxq.jpeg

1Y13WJt.jpeg

A closeup of Galvatron, Cyclonus, and Scourge. All three of these are third party, Galvatron and Cyclonus are FansToys, and Scourge is XTransbots. Galvatron and Cyclonus are two of the best figures in my entire collection. Just gorgeous representations of the characters.
J90P4Fr.jpeg

The Dinobots, all third party FansToys figures.
eDdMXHq.jpeg

And the gigantic to-scale Omega Supreme, also FansToys.
nyfQpcV.jpeg

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I passed by this a couple of times without noticing the autobot insignia. Is that Predaking? The limbs don't look like a combiner.

It's a simultaneously inventive and not-inventive take on the combined form, Victory Saber:
180px-Victory30_victorysaber.jpg

Their initial plan was much more traditional:
Iron%20Trans%20IR-V02%20King%20Leo%20Unofficial%20Victory%20Leo%20and%20Victory%20Saber%20Announced%20(13)__scaled_800.jpg

But well, Victory Saber has long been kinda underwhelming as a shoes and shoulders combo. So it seems they've revised to now instead lean heavily into King of Braves GaoGaiGar, especially Genesic

latest

EDIT:
Ah wait balls I've mixed up with plans for an official combiner I think. Flame Toys:
67139970_2763351457032516_8335239891726106624_o__scaled_800.jpg

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
It's a simultaneously inventive and not-inventive take on the combined form, Victory Saber:
180px-Victory30_victorysaber.jpg

Their initial plan was much more traditional:
Iron%20Trans%20IR-V02%20King%20Leo%20Unofficial%20Victory%20Leo%20and%20Victory%20Saber%20Announced%20(13)__scaled_800.jpg

But well, Victory Saber has long been kinda underwhelming as a shoes and shoulders combo. So it seems they've revised to now instead lean heavily into King of Braves GaoGaiGar, especially Genesic

latest
I think the picture you posted was actually from Flame Toys's version of Victory Saber. Which means it's officially licensed, but non-trasnforming.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
What have you done, OP? This is a dark rabbit hole to fall into.

It's too late for me, there's no going back. That said, I'm a very price conscious person, so I won't be selling my kidneys for Transformer figures anytime soon. At most I'll get an Optimus Prime and whatever's the best Grimlock out there.

This is my Masterpiece setup. The majority of these are third party, intermingled with official Hasbro/Takara MPs, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The empty spaces are reserved for future combiner teams in the process of coming out.

That's a very impressive collection. I'm very envious!

Oct 25, 2017

ZDRhI42.jpg

VLiEHDX.jpeg

XbSXntY.jpeg

l8Pcaxq.jpeg

1Y13WJt.jpeg

A closeup of Galvatron, Cyclonus, and Scourge. All three of these are third party, Galvatron and Cyclonus are FansToys, and Scourge is XTransbots. Galvatron and Cyclonus are two of the best figures in my entire collection. Just gorgeous representations of the characters.
J90P4Fr.jpeg

The Dinobots, all third party FansToys figures.
eDdMXHq.jpeg

And the gigantic to-scale Omega Supreme, also FansToys.
nyfQpcV.jpeg

Those FansToys made me winse in financial pain. Absolutely stunning for the price but goos god that price.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
It's too late for me, there's no going back. That said, I'm a very price conscious person, so I won't be selling my kidneys for Transformer figures anytime soon. At most I'll get an Optimus Prime and whatever's the best Grimlock out there.

FansToys Grinder is generally considered the best Grimlock if you want a G1 cartoon look. He's going to be expensive since FansToys figures have highly inflated prices after release. The official Masterpiece will probably be cheaper.