• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Mark Hamill is a boomer who could have accidentally clicked on things but this is the second time and I don't need to defend rich white men. Hope he gets his shit together.

Also what did the mods say/do, I can't find any thread marks?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Also what did the mods say/do, I can't find any thread marks?
www.resetera.com

Concerning "Hogwarts Legacy" and JK Rowling

After continued internal discussion, we began to start outlining the issues put forth by Rowling and the game in question and each time, and as we discussed it all, we kept coming back to the simple fact that Rowling is not only a bigot but is actively pushing, in her position as a wealthy and...

Pinned in gaming.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Ah thank you. A great decision indeed.
Somewhat sweetsour. I do agree with this ban but on the other hand cyberpunk was treated differently. I would hope that from now on it's gonna be always like this and it isn't based on how big a game is. Like if the same thing happened with something like GTA would the mods also ban all the discussion? I want to believe that they would.

Feb 24, 2018
I brought this the previous thread but since it got brought up and also something that happened to me today of the web I'll bring it up again, I really hate it when people use the "debate" about trans people to push their own faiths, whether Christians, Atheists etc.

Being an Atheist does not make you any less likely to be transphobic, informed about trans people or even more progressive in general; hell some of the most hardcore TERFs are also atheists in part because they use their atheism and their personal beliefs as practically a pseudo religion (last time I brought this up, it was in relation to Helen Joyce for example) and ignores the many religious trans people out there. In the same vein, your religious beliefs does not give you the right to deny trans people our existence, especially when you warp, lie and ignore your own faith to justify your hate; and again ignore the many religious trans people out there. You do not have the moral high-ground, you're just a hateful shit using your religion as a shield which sadly in the UK and US, hateful Christians have used to great success.

Some of the most progressive and pro trans people I've met have been religious, from Wicca, Pagan, Buddhist and Shik; and some of the biggest transphobes I've met off the web have been self-proclaimed atheists and vice versa. The sad fact is that TERFs will weaponize anything and everything against us, use any excuse to try to erase us and if they can't find anything, make stuff up to try to make us disappear.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I brought this the previous thread but since it got brought up and also something that happened to me today of the web I'll bring it up again, I really hate it when people use the "debate" about trans people to push their own faiths, whether Christians, Atheists etc.

Being an Atheist does not make you any less likely to be transphobic, informed about trans people or even more progressive in general; hell some of the most hardcore TERFs are also atheists in part because they use their atheism and their personal beliefs as practically a pseudo religion (last time I brought this up, it was in relation to Helen Joyce for example) and ignores the many religious trans people out there. In the same vein, your religious beliefs does not give you the right to deny trans people our existence, especially when you warp, lie and ignore your own faith to justify your hate; and again ignore the many religious trans people out there. You do not have the moral high-ground, you're just a hateful shit using your religion as a shield which sadly in the UK and US, hateful Christians have used to great success.

Some of the most progressive and pro trans people I've met have been religious, from Wicca, Pagan, Buddhist and Shik; and some of the biggest transphobes I've met off the web have been self-proclaimed atheists and vice versa. The sad fact is that TERFs will weaponize anything and everything against us, use any excuse to try to erase us and if they can't find anything, make stuff up to try to make us disappear.

For real, there's no shortage of atheists who love punching down. I remember there was an absolutely HUGE upswell in transphobia in the skeptic community back a couple years ago. The online skeptic community had a whole lot of figures who wound up diving full tilt into GamerGate when that was a thing, and when GamerGate died down, they kept using "anti-SJW" rhetoric as their meal ticket and seamlessly swerved into aggressive attacks on trans folks as a result. A lot of them are still riding that train today, disgustingly.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
And of course the whole "women will be erased by this" is essentially "White people will be erased if we allow PoC and non-christians anything".
I can't wrap my head around the idea that giving someone else rights somehow takes rights away from you.

The only way that works would be if your entire culture and worldview was based solely on being "above" somebody else in some fantasy hierarchy. Which I suppose is exactly what this is all about, and always has been.

Kind of wish us normal people had our own planet we could go to.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I can't wrap my head around the idea that giving someone else rights somehow takes rights away from you.

The only way that works would be if your entire culture and worldview was based solely on being "above" somebody else in some fantasy hierarchy. Which I suppose is exactly what this is all about, and always has been.

It is also about their irrational and ever growing fear of being "below" the people they hate.

Oct 26, 2017
He already pre-ordered it. Which I think is hilarious in that like you're pre-ordering a game from a studio who's last game was Cars 3. Like whats even the point of pre-ordering a digital copy at that.

I think as a child, you're just naive/innocent when you're 8/9 and literally aren't smart enough to make those connections. His view was also like "People cheer for the Empire in Star Wars, and they're Nazis." and it's like "Well, a) you're not supposed to cheer for the Empire and b) in HP, its the good guys who are like "yeah elves are fine. Fuck the non-magical people in the magic world"

Speaking as a non-white, mixed-race kid, by 8/9 I could make certain connections (even if I couldn't necessarily articulate the details). When Malfoy called Hermione a "mudblood", I knew what was happening.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know me if that thread existed, that ot... I would be doom scrolling just depressing myself. This is such the right call

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I find Christian's like my mother are pretty supportive too,the ones that reject denomination and evangelical and prosperity gospel shit, and actually believe being a Christian means trying to be like Jesus and live by his rules, one being that the downtrodden and disrespected deserve love too like he did in the Bible.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017

I mean a lot of it is delibrate hyperbole to make the dumb masses frightened: "When people can change their gender marker more easily, scary transvestites will come into your house and eat the flesh from your bones and your family while you're still alive!!!"

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
I find Christian's like my mother are pretty supportive too,the ones that reject denomination and evangelical and prosperity gospel shit, and actually believe being a Christian means trying to be like Jesus and live by his rules, one being that the downtrodden and disrespected deserve love too like he did in the Bible.
To be fair, my fundie mother legit believed she was being like Jesus, denouncing what she saw as irresponsible "love gospel" and "sloppy agape" interpretations, instead emphasizing god's judgment and all that. (Loved to harp on him whipping the money changers and quoting all of Christ's alleged references to hell and damnation; i.e., "where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched," etc.) The Bible is all-too-slippery of a document that can mean anything its reader wants it to mean, and that's the trouble I have with it.

That said, the point is taken that supportive Christians exist and transphobic atheists do too.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
My spouse was realllly into HP when we first got together 15+ years ago--she has a full slytherin outfit, and she sowed us both house scarfs for Christmas presents and everything. Not anymore. Her best friend is trans, and we have a genderqueer tween, (and also but just as importantly we are really trying to be empathetic people!). I guess I just wanted to say that I fully support the mods' decision not to allow an OT or any discussion/promotion of HL here, and that we won't be buying the game or anything else that Rowling is involved in or benefits from.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, my fundie mother legit believed she was being like Jesus, denouncing what she saw as irresponsible "love gospel" and "sloppy agape" interpretations, instead emphasizing god's judgment and all that. (Loved to harp on him whipping the money changers and quoting all of Christ's alleged references to hell and damnation; i.e., "where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched," etc.) The Bible is all-too-slippery of a document that can mean anything its reader wants it to mean, and that's the trouble I have with it.

That said, the point is taken that supportive Christians exist and transphobic atheists do too.
But I forget the verse but he also tells his followers not to judge only god can and those who do deign to judge others will be judged accordingly by god. One of my mothers golden rules, along with the golden rule as well. And I find it funny with the moneylenders at the temple because American evangelicals are pretty much the moneylenders at the temple.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no not Mark Hamill. Please make this be an accidental mistake. :(

Great decision by the mod team on the game.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
www.resetera.com

Concerning "Hogwarts Legacy" and JK Rowling

After continued internal discussion, we began to start outlining the issues put forth by Rowling and the game in question and each time, and as we discussed it all, we kept coming back to the simple fact that Rowling is not only a bigot but is actively pushing, in her position as a wealthy and...

Pinned in gaming.

Excellent. I understood the limited conversation allowed here with Cyberpunk because of the Trans representation the game has, but with Rowling and her active participation supporting laws and anti-trans groups, this ban is more tan justified.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
But I forget the verse but he also tells his followers not to judge only god can and those who do deign to judge others will be judged accordingly by god. One of my mothers golden rules, along with the golden rule as well. And I find it funny with the moneylenders at the temple because American evangelicals are pretty much the moneylenders at the temple.
Unsurprisingly, my mom had a ready answer for the thing about judgment: she'd say, "Jesus isn't saying that we shouldn't be judgmental. What he's saying there is that we shouldn't use our own judgment about things. For example, scripture says that homosexuality/queerness is a sin. As long as we follow God's judgment on things like that, instead of our own, he wants us to be judgmental about it."

Indeed, when my parents rejected me after I came out to them as trans, they claimed that they wanted to accept me. But that God's judgment said I couldn't be accepted. Therefore, they were only following his instructions in rejecting me. 🤦‍♀️

(To their very minuscule credit, they did condemn prosperity gospel interpretations.)

Ok, I'll stop hijacking the thread now.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Unsurprisingly, my mom had a ready answer for the thing about judgment: she'd say, "Jesus isn't saying that we shouldn't be judgmental. What he's saying there is that we shouldn't use our own judgment about things. For example, scripture says that homosexuality/queerness is a sin. As long as we follow God's judgment on things like that, instead of our own, he wants us to be judgmental about it."

Indeed, when my parents rejected me after I came out to them as trans, they claimed that they wanted to accept me. But that God's judgment said I couldn't be accepted. Therefore, they were only following his instructions in rejecting me. 🤦‍♀️

(To their very minuscule credit, they did condemn prosperity gospel interpretations.)

Ok, I'll stop hijacking the thread now.
Yeah I get it.

Jun 17, 2019

Yup. That's one thing that people in evangelical circles miss, they are the moneylenders.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

As someone who has been on/off a member of the pagan community for a little over 20 years while this can often be the case, it's not always the case.

Some of the biggest transphobes and homophobes I've ever met have been part of the pagan community.

Once I was even told (note I was not out to this person) that "Queer people are against the Mother's order because they aren't part of the cycle of procreation.

Granted this is not all of them and I've known and been accepted by many pagans over the years. But that's true of any religious or areligious person.

I have a coworker who I'm out to and they are extremely religious Christian and they actually use my pronouns and my partner's pronouns and gets upset at themselves when they mess up.

One best friends is another extremely religious person who has always accepted me and my partner.

Hate isn't necessarily caused by being religious or spiritual. It's caused by being hateful.

Yes, religion can aggravate and radicalize hatred but it does not always do so.

Honestly it seems more like people use their beliefs to justify and prolestize their hated so they can pretend they aren't bigots rather than learn from a belief system to hate.

Of course that isn't 100% true either due to the whole prolestizing thing.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mark Hamill is a boomer who could have accidentally clicked on things but this is the second time and I don't need to defend rich white men. Hope he gets his shit together.
Yeah, the "older person not understanding what they do when they click on that like button" reminds that that's exactly what some of us said the first time JKR liked a transphobic tweet ages ago, so needless to say I'm not feeling super confident on this.
I don't see how you'd be exposed to her hateful diatribes and somehow accidentally keep following her and liking that shit.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Hate isn't necessarily caused by being religious or spiritual. It's caused by being hateful.

Yes, religion can aggravate and radicalize hatred but it does not always do so.

Honestly it seems more like people use their beliefs to justify and prolestize their hated so they can pretend they aren't bigots rather than learn from a belief system to hate.
This is exactly it, it's not tied to any specific thing, it's hateful people using whatever venue they have to promote and validate their hate to encourage others to do so.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
First Thank you to the mods for their announcement.

Agreed. This is one of the reasons I have a hard time even recommending the Guardian at all. That's is a great word here for them.

In regard to Mark, the question is, is he liking these things because he actually believes in them, or is he liking them because of his connection to her due to various others that they both know, and is trying to support someone he views as a friend? This is the conundrum here with him and other's like him.

Its like a situation where you have known a person and they are great on all sorts of issues except one, and its a doozy, and you're trying to walk a line because you and said person have mutual friends and run in the same circles. You can't just cutthroat person off due to the connections that you have with others in your group.

I feel like for a lot of celebrities that have known her, and known her for a long time, cutting her off at the knees, if you will is difficult due to the connections they share with her in part because of the movies.
I don't really see how Mark cutting her out would affect his career.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no not Mark Hamill. Please make this be an accidental mistake. :(

Great decision by the mod team on the game.
In Mark's defense, he has also just straight up tweeted his support over the years

View: https://twitter.com/drewscathach/status/1617449479761952769?s=46&t=gGYUpee4uUx6Sve58Arb9w

View: https://twitter.com/mattiepahl/status/1617596381967052800?s=46&t=gGYUpee4uUx6Sve58Arb9w

I think it's just the case of an old guy not realizing what he liked on social media.

Oct 26, 2017

My conclusion is that JKR thinks trans people are gross so she's doing all that she can to make sure she doesn't have to look at us or be around us.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBftW7FzOVI

I apologize if this is off topic, if so I'll edit my post. But this video is absolutely fascinating at how it really explains how pro-consumerism HP and JK are. And touches on the very problematic fatphobic writing as well.

I watched it when it came out and absolutely loved it.

It really made me think of some aspects of HP i hadn't before besides other points previously made by the likes of Shaun

Oct 26, 2017

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
During Christmas every other commercial break was an ad for the Harry Potter TV wand thing.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021

I'm in general agreement with this and some comments made by deimosmasque and PlanetSmasher. Trash people will always find a way to justify being trash, even if it means dragging down an entire belief system or non-belief system with them. A darn shame transphobia seems to be yet another terrible thing the religious and non-religious can find common cause on. Bigots just have a knack for arranging any societal framework to put others down.

Thank you for your insight.

Dec 2, 2017
skynews-kaukab-stewart-kirsten-oswald_6033511.jpg
Rowling appears to be going off on twitter regarding this photo

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

I apologize if this is off topic, if so I'll edit my post. But this video is absolutely fascinating at how it really explains how pro-consumerism HP and JK are. And touches on the very problematic fatphobic writing as well.

So I already stopped doing fucking with anything Harry Potter the second I learned that the JoKe was a piece of shit but this is extending my ban on Potter shit to another generation now.
She's a piece of shit, she's created an empire that is making her richer by selling a bunch of trash in the worst possible way and she clearly doesn't give a single shit about her legacy in this whole trash filled world.
I'm having trouble expressing how much of a trash pile she is, was and always was.

Like she could never manage to pretend to care about anything beyond her own little self.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
In Mark's defense, he has also just straight up tweeted his support over the years

View: https://twitter.com/drewscathach/status/1617449479761952769?s=46&t=gGYUpee4uUx6Sve58Arb9w

View: https://twitter.com/mattiepahl/status/1617596381967052800?s=46&t=gGYUpee4uUx6Sve58Arb9w

I think it's just the case of an old guy not realizing what he liked on social media.

I'm really thinking he'll address this soon as an error. His support of the LGBTQ community, and trans folk explicitly, has been pretty uniform. But like, absolutely unfollow this piece of shit, Mark. At this point, just having her on your list of follows is a problem.

Also wanna say great decision by the mod team. It's one thing to have a problematic creator connected to a game, it's completely another to have a hate-fuelled bigot actively profiting off of it and using her vast fortune to campaign - seemingly successfully in the UK - against the human rights of a single group. (Also i hope this doesn't constitute metacommentary and warrant a ban lol 🙏)

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I wonder how much more stressful of a job being a PR person has been since the rise of social media

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Not likely considering he also follows JK.

I rarely engage in twitter but from what I've seen people will sometimes follow ghouls for reasons other than support. Patton Oswalt and Charlie Brooker also follow JK Rowling and I don't know that I'd automatically cast aspersions on them for doing so (though maybe there's something I don't know).

This is in contrast to someone like Stephen King, who not only follows Rowling but is actively friends with her.

View: https://twitter.com/MarkHamill/status/1207854845006233600?s=20&t=k_tJ_I9jg4Z8RckYJqhd6g

A quick google search brought up that, which is embarrassing yet could very well be ignorance. But if it keeps happening, I don't know.

LauraLaMer

Banned
Dec 5, 2021
Rowling and her kind are good at making it about tone rather than about content, so a lot of people not that interested in trans issues get fooled into thinking what they're saying makes sense.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I rarely engage in twitter but from what I've seen people will sometimes follow ghouls for reasons other than support. Patton Oswalt and Charlie Brooker also follow JK Rowling and I don't know that I'd automatically cast aspersions on them for doing so (though maybe there's something I don't know).
www.cnn.com

Patton Oswalt defends his longtime friendship with Dave Chappelle | CNN

Patton Oswalt shared a heartfelt letter on social media explaining his longtime friendship with fellow comic Dave Chappelle as controversy over Chappelle's jokes about trans people in his last Netflix special has continued.

I think ultimately though we shouldn't be surprised at rich celebrities hanging out together, they live in an entirely different world.

Oct 26, 2017
www.cnn.com

Patton Oswalt defends his longtime friendship with Dave Chappelle | CNN

Patton Oswalt shared a heartfelt letter on social media explaining his longtime friendship with fellow comic Dave Chappelle as controversy over Chappelle's jokes about trans people in his last Netflix special has continued.

I think ultimately though we shouldn't be surprised at rich celebrities hanging out together, they live in an entirely different world.
I must be a cold, heartless asshole....and/or maybe it is why I have few friends...but who gives two shits if you've known someone for 3 months or 30 years. I can't stand the age of a relationship being used as an excuse. I dropped my best friend (since 2nd grade) after I found out they were a terrible person and they proved they weren't going to make any effort to change for the better. I was his best man at his wedding for fucks sake. But you're completely right when you say these rich celebs live in their own worlds so I really shouldn't compare.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Yeah I didn't know if I could post this but another fantastic video from verilybitchie on how pro-consumerist the books and films are despite the tiny little criticism it has of it just only when Dudley does it. And as pointed in Shaun's video, JK Rowling really has it out for fat people. Or making female villains out to have more masculine features, which were likely the first hints to her developing transphobia.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
After the ban on 3rd party apps I only check in on twitter rarely and even more rarely on the mobile website where I can't block the entire trending panel.

It REALLY fucking wants me to click on Rowling adjacent trending topics, despite the fact I immediately block them as "Harmful or Spam", two things which used to be separate by the way it's offered me #Rowling #JKRowling, JK Rowling, Hogwarts Legacy, Hogwarts and Rowling on subsequent visits along with at least a couple of others I'm forgetting but were explicitly anti trans.

On 3rd party apps I saw none of this. Which is presumably why there's now not 3rd party apps.