• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
Well well...

The full article goes into detail on areas where we tested above and below cis women, it's interesting.

Archive link:

Been saying for awhile how frustrating it is that people only consider the advantages we have in sport, so it's good to see the IOC research focus on the fact there's variance on both sides of the equation.
Another one for people to ignore. The discussion around this topic has gotten so bad to the point that I've now encountered multiple trans women, who had been confused by their loss of strength and general athletic performance since starting HRT.

I sincerely hope we'll be able to turn this around somehow. It's so frustrating that this topic seems so settled for the majority of people that they will refuse to accept any evidence to the contrary. Even on this site. I've noticed that every time this topic has come up, the thread pretty much died the moment you Kyuuji have posted evidence that things aren't at all like how they believe them to be.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Another one for people to ignore. The discussion around this topic has gotten so bad to the point that I've now encountered multiple trans women, who had been confused by their loss of strength and general athletic performance since starting HRT.

I sincerely hope we'll be able to turn this around somehow. It's so frustrating that this topic seems so settled for the majority of people that they will refuse to accept any evidence to the contrary.
Not quite the same thing but my own fucking father refused to believe that i could no longer open pickle jars, even after I told him years on hormones significantly reduced my muscle mass and overall physical strength. Like the idea that transitioning and taking HRT could have that great of an effect of the body was beyond him. That or he's just an asshole, I'm going with the latter.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
Not quite the same thing but my own fucking father refused to believe that i could no longer open pickle jars, even after I told him years on hormones significantly reduced my muscle mass and overall physical strength. Like the idea that transitioning and taking HRT could have that great of an effect of the body was beyond him. That or he's just an asshole, I'm going with the latter.
People absolutely refuse to accept that this is a large part of HRT. Whenever I have to explain this to someone it takes so much work and even then it's only possible when they are already generally supportive.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Well well...

Screenshot-2024-04-13-at-13-59-36.png

Screenshot-2024-04-13-at-14-00-42.png

Screenshot-2024-04-13-at-14-05-54.png

The full article goes into detail on areas where we tested above and below cis women, it's interesting.

Archive link:

Been saying for awhile how frustrating it is that people only consider the advantages we have in sport, so it's good to see the IOC research focus on the fact there's variance on both sides of the equation.
"The research paper [...] could have a significant effect on the debate around gender-inclusion in sport."

One would hope, if only people were actually open to reading. I find that ESPECIALLY in the debate around sports cis folks just completely forgo science for "common sense" - what their ignorant gut tells them. Any facts about the effects of HRT, cis folks just hear it as cope and ignore it. Even ones who claim to be allies so it feels like such a mountain to get over.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

I sincerely hope we'll be able to turn this around somehow. It's so frustrating that this topic seems so settled for the majority of people that they will refuse to accept any evidence to the contrary. Even on this site. I've noticed that every time this topic has come up, the thread pretty much died the moment you Kyuuji have posted evidence that things aren't at all like how they believe them to be.
My parents are the kind who only tolerate my transition but don't approve of it (thankfully I think it's slowly shifting when they see my progress with my life), and my dad absolutely could not understand that I'm weaker now after 2 years of HRT. He wanted me to help with carrying a bunch of heavy stuff and I just could not do it, ended up in a screaming match where I blew up on him when he just wouldn't accept it, despite me saying that I'm weaker now without that natural strength.

So many people are still completely clueless on how hormones work, yet still treat us as if they do know us.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Well well...

Archive link:

I think it's time cis women were kicked out of women's sports.

I don't need to flag I'm not serious here do I?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Well well...

Archive link:

I've heard similar claims before, and it all makes sense. Transphobes love to bleat about "male puberty", but from what I've heard the advantages men have over women come pretty much entirely from testosterone. Take that away via HRT and the only thing a trans woman might get from "male puberty" is a larger, heavier frame that's more difficult to move around without the power and stamina benefits of testosterone.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Predictable Badenoch piece:
www.thetimes.co.uk

Gagging of the brave has let gender ideologues seize control

Public institutions are meant to be independent and free from politics but senior leaders ignore the law and allow ideological groups to misrepresent it
"Public institutions are meant to be independent and free from politics but senior leaders ignore the law and allow ideological groups to misrepresent it"
You mean the gender critical groups, right?

More fascist rhetoric of the enemy being both strong and weak.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Public institutions are meant to be free of politics*

*And if they aren't, we'll make sure they are. Wink wink.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what makes her pick out specific people cos surely loads of people were calling her a holocaust denier that day.

Presumably she targets UK based people because our defamation laws are infamously slanted towards rich and powerful people.

Fighting one of these cases would ruin most people even if they ultimately won, which would require winning several court battles, all of which would be uphill battles.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
jk rowling is a holocaust denier is trending so good job stupid ass

I wonder what the calculus is on Rowling's part. Clearly the Streisand effect guarantees more people will become aware of what she said. But it's also an implicit threat to the media. Rowling's behaviour on social media is reprehensible, but the mainstream media only covers it when she wants them to, like with her 'Arrest Me' nonsense a couple of weeks ago. So perhaps that's it: going after random members of the public or fringe journalists is a tactic to ensure editors at more important outlets aren't willing to cover her when she doesn't want them to.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Yeah holocaust denial, especially right now, is the kind of look that might actually cost her exposure.

She'll be richer than god forever of course. But then so is Notch. Remember Notch?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah holocaust denial, especially right now, is the kind of look that might actually cost her exposure.

She'll be richer than god forever of course. But then so is Notch. Remember Notch?
Just can't make the Notch comparison when she is actively still fully in the lead of the franchise making profit and involved with it.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just can't make the Notch comparison when she is actively still fully in the lead of the franchise making profit and involved with it.

I dont think this is the usual notch comparison to defend supporting the franchise but more pointing out that even if she looses the franchise and black listed for being a nazi she is likely set for life.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Well well...

Archive link:

Don't worry, I'm sure this study will be acknowledged as the media pivot towards, "trans therapies have harmful effects on muscle and bone development, therefore they must be banned".

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Hilariously the one negative comment I saw was complaining there were not enough data sources.

Potentially valid but maybe don't use that one a week after lauding the one that deliberately ignored 98% of all data points.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
It's bad enough that people hold these beliefs about the Holocaust but the bad faith argument/counter-arguments are the most annoying aspect of it.

In their mind, unless you outright say "the Holocaust didn't happen" then it's not Holocaust denial. I legitimately saw "denying aspects of the Holocaust isn't Holocaust denial" strictly because they're saying the Holocaust happened, just not the way that history says.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I initially found it darkly comedic that Twitter had "JK Rowling is a Holocaust" trending for over a day, rather than the full phrase "JK Rowling is a Holocaust denier".

However it has now just become "JK Rowling" in the Trending section, which is an act of cowardice on the part of Twitter.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The "holocaust denial" denial feels very much like the transphobia denial.

Robert Galbraith's defenders will claim "it's not" when everyone else can fucking read

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I refused to link to their website as it's one of the worst elements of the British media. But The Scottish Sun (which is just as bad as the version sold in England and Wales) leads with this today.

5476c1b0-fc7b-11ee-a9f7-4d961743aa47.jpg.webp

She's labelling Scotland's new misogyny law a "law for men" because it protects trans women.

Ever since the new hate crime law came into force at the start of the month the bigots have been raging and calling for it to be abolished. I'm not even slightly surprised that they are attacking this legislation as trans women are protected under it.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Scottish Sun: "Look how good we can play-pretend feminism! Also; buy our newspaper for the titties to the left!"

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
lets pretend for a second this is literally a law saying misogyny against cis men is bad

....why is this law existing is bad?

Misguided misogyny is still misogyny =P

Trick_GSF

Nov 2, 2017
Hello everyone, I am a resident evil fan, and I saw this post on the reddit there. I messaged someone here but they are not around at the moment. I don't really know where this is right to post, but I just felt like I should make people aware of it because it's a sad and quite urgent situation it seems like.

I don't know this person by the way. And I am not like.. part of this community so again, I am really sorry of this is a rule break, or wrong place, etc. Hope this is alright!

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Hello everyone, I am a resident evil fan, and I saw this post on the reddit there. I messaged someone here but they are not around at the moment. I don't really know where this is right to post, but I just felt like I should make people aware of it because it's a sad and quite urgent situation it seems like.

I don't know this person by the way. And I am not like.. part of this community so again, I am really sorry of this is a rule break, or wrong place, etc. Hope this is alright!

wait thats a friend of mine!

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Oh really? Well, I don't know them but I read that post and thought it would be the right thing to do to post it here. I often read this thread, so thought it was the best place to post it?

I really hope everything works out for your friend!
I know things have been hard for her being trans in a country where its legal to be honor killed for such a thing but fuck i hope she'll be okay. i'll message her on discord.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
A lack of research? Haven't these been used on cis kids for decades in cases of precocious puberty? There should be plenty of knowledge of what effects they have.

But those weren't trans kids, so that doesn't count. 🫠

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
A lack of research? Haven't these been used on cis kids for decades in cases of precocious puberty? There should be plenty of knowledge of what effects they have.

But those weren't trans kids, so that doesn't count. 🫠
We also have decades of knowledge about treating trans kids with them.

It's never about fairness; ok, they will demand fairness from us, but not from themselves. They will fight with any dirty method they can think of.

We need to abandon the idea that this is a level playing field. It never was. They already have the leverage and they'll kick us while we're down.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
They're pausing all puberty blockers right... oh no just for the trans kids again.

It's schrodingers drug, simultaneously too dangerous for kids but also not dangerous at all. It's only when the gender identity is confirmed that the state collapses to one side or the other.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
They're pausing all puberty blockers right... oh no just for the trans kids again.

It's schrodingers drug, simultaneously too dangerous for kids but also not dangerous at all. It's only when the gender identity is confirmed that the state collapses to one side or the other.

The argument made is about age/length of use. If blockers are used for precocious puberty they're being used at a younger age and (presumably) for a shorter period of time. It's definitely worth exploring the question of how they effect older children using them for longer periods. But that evidence already exists, as Amalthea says, and there is more of it appearing all the time.

Cass looks at that evidence and one way or another finds reasons to ignore it, dismiss it, discount it, distort it, and undermine it. It was necessary to justify her recommendation of 'extreme caution'. Her 'caution' is going to get people killed, but what's that when compared to the inevitable gongs and permanent place in the gender critical Hall of Fame?

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
It seems like the Guardian is snooping around people (especially teens) who are doing DIY HRT according to some users on Threads.