Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Something about chuds and terffs I've always wondered, do they actually get joy for their miserable diatribes and getting angry? Like are they such self-loathing that their just lashing out anything or everything? Like they never actually seem to have fun, just spend their day getting angry.
Have you ever read stories from people trapped in oppressive fundamentalist religious households or anything like that? Like where the kid can see how bitter and trapped in their own oppressive beliefs their parents are, but the parents just can't see outside their psychological bubble and can't even conceptualize what life could be like outside of it? I have. It seems to be the same sort of dynamic to me. They do get a "joy" out if it, but it's a poisonous sort of "joy" that I would never call genuine. I have seen similar sentiments from people that fell down the alt-right rabbit hole in their youth for a bit and then came out of it--that they were miserable but wouldn't have thought so at the time and couldn't see just how miserable they were until they got out and got an outside perspective. I imagine it's the same for anyone that leaves any sort of oppressive ideology. Religion does not agree with me and I left it many years ago because (among many, many other reasons) it was making my life worse, but I understood only a fraction of the ways it was stealing my happiness from me until I got out and had been out for years.

This isn't to drum up pity for these people or anything, obviously. They're adults making their own awful decisions. But to answer your question, I do believe they get a toxic form of "joy" out of it in a paradoxically miserable way.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Something about chuds and terffs I've always wondered, do they actually get joy for their miserable diatribes and getting angry? Like are they such self-loathing that their just lashing out anything or everything? Like they never actually seem to have fun, just spend their day getting angry.

Also since I heard it offline, I don't think Joanne is a grifter like other chud lords, she doesn't need to be; she is 100% sincere in her hatred of us which makes her actions scary. I'm worried she will attack or kill someone in real life, I really fear she'll go so far at this point because she has been allowed so much freedom and so much support from people in power that she'll just escalate and escalate.
There is a feeling of "joy", but in a way that digs you under, and only grants more misery that looks more and more like joy the deeper you go.

I almost fell into the gamergate hole pre-transition when I was younger, stupider, naive, sheltered under a conservative household and environment, and was feeling lost and alone straight out of high-school with absolutely zero guidance that would actually help me, with my only solace being gaming and online gaming spaces. It only made me feel worse and I didn't realize it until I got out after making friends in progressive gaming spaces with progressives and minorities. Thankfully, I didn't go that far in, but the effects were already deep and it took me getting to know the people I was supposed to hate, and realizing they were the better people and that their beliefs and ideals made much more sense, for them to pull me out of the spiral and heal from it.

People in those right-wing spirals may think they feel joy and have found community, but their hate is poison to themselves and everyone around them. Joanne is absolutely 100% miserable while convincing herself she's not, or else she wouldn't focus so much on hatred and never doing anything fulfilling with her life since going down the transphobia spiral.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
There is a feeling of "joy", but in a way that digs you under, and only grants more misery that looks more and more like joy the deeper you go.

I almost fell into the gamergate hole pre-transition when I was younger, stupider, naive, sheltered under a conservative household and environment, and was feeling lost and alone straight out of high-school with absolutely zero guidance that would actually help me, with my only solace being gaming and online gaming spaces. It only made me feel worse and I didn't realize it until I got out after making friends in progressive gaming spaces with progressives and minorities. Thankfully, I didn't go that far in, but the effects were already deep and it took me getting to know the people I was supposed to hate, and realizing they were the better people and that their beliefs and ideals made much more sense, for them to pull me out of the spiral and heal from it.

People in those right-wing spirals may think they feel joy and have found community, but their hate is poison to themselves and everyone around them. Joanne is absolutely 100% miserable while convincing herself she's not, or else she wouldn't focus so much on hatred and never doing anything fulfilling with her life since going down the transphobia spiral.
100%, my brother is very much deep in the spiral (heavy racism, homophobia, misogyny, all of it) and he absolutely derives pleasure in tearing down others. But his life is absolutely fucking miserable to the point that he gets angry to hear about others being happy. Like just the other day - mothers day - we had to have a family gathering and she & my dad were catching up, asking how all the old relatives are doing, and my brother had an absolute bloody tantrum about how he doesn't wanna hear about other people having having happy lives. Like it's not just a bad day, that's been him since he started going deeper into these alt-right communities over COVID.

Their hatred is the only thing that can make them feel better. It's a life completely consumed in negativity and they surround themselves with other people who will relish in that hate with them.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
www.theguardian.com

Sex education in English schools set to be banned before children are nine

Education secretary Gillian Keegan to announce guidelines for phased discussion of topics depending on pupils’ age
www.bbc.co.uk

Plan to ban sex education for children under nine

New guidance for schools in England is expected to be set out on Thursday.
The revised guidance on relationships, sex and health education is expected to be published this week by the education secretary, Gillian Keegan, and is likely to contain further restrictions on teaching about gender and identity, with teachers told to instead explain "biological" facts, according to reports.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I put it in the U.K. political thread as well, but this is basically section 28 all over again. (In case people reading don't know, Section 28 was a infamous Tory instruction under Thatcher that meant schools couldn't promote or treat homosexual relationships as equal to heterosexual ones)

Shit then, shit now and people look back on that with a bit of disgust and shame

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I can imagine their reasoning:

"We all know S28 was bad and awful but imagine this: what if we sliiightly change the focus onto a queer group that's still cool to be curbstomped in the mud?"

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
www.thetimes.co.uk

Don’t teach children about changing gender, schools told

Ministers warn that such conversations could have damaging implications
Schools must not teach children that they can change their gender identity and should avoid "explicit" conversations about sex until they reach the age of 13, the government is to say.
Ministers will warn schools on Thursday that gender identity is a highly contested area and that teaching children about it could have damaging implications. Staff will be explicitly told to avoid proactively teaching children about gender identity. If asked, they should teach "biological" facts about sex.
Separate guidance published at the end of last year said that schools should not allow children to socially transition — use a different name, pronoun or uniform of the opposite sex — without informing parents. They said that schools should take a "very cautious approach".
That guidance stated: "Gender identity is a contested belief. It is a sense a person may have of their own gender, whether male, female or another category such as non-binary. This may or may not be the same as their biological sex. Many people do not consider that they or others have a gender identity at all."
It said that the increase in children questioning their gender had been "linked to gender identity ideology", adding: "This is a contested belief. Many people believe this concept is one that reinforces stereotypes and social norms relating to sex."

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
This isn't like second breakfast, no one wants section 28 again.
Fuck the government, fuck Rowling for giving them the public ground to get this far, and as always fuck the centrists who think both sides have valid points.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Never thought I'd live to see Section 28 part 2.

Miserable, genocidal country.

Edit: And Joanne... helping manufacture the consent to try and wipe out a whole generation of trans people. I hate thinking that she'll never face the consequences for the lives she's destroying.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
www.thetimes.co.uk

Don’t teach children about changing gender, schools told

Ministers warn that such conversations could have damaging implications
Not being taught about gender identity growing up in the UK in the 80s and 90s definitely caused me significant harm. Fuck this 'may' cause harm. We all know the 'harm' they are talking about is that a cis kid might be talked into mistakenly believing they are trans for a bit. Which, frankly is nothing compared to leaving all trans kids feeling confused and fundamentally wrong and broken. We know what that leads too, but since they only care about cis kids, here we are.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Not being taught about gender identity growing up in the UK in the 80s and 90s definitely caused me significant harm. Fuck this 'may' cause harm. We all know the 'harm' they are talking about is that a cis kid might be talked into mistakenly believing they are trans for a bit. Which, frankly is nothing compared to leaving all trans kids feeling confused and fundamentally wrong and broken. We know what that leads too, but since they only care about cis kids, here we are.

I know it won't change much but believe me if a trans kid comes to me for advice/help/just to rant I will support them in every way I can. It might not do much overall but I know what it will mean for those kids.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
fully expecting Labour to fully endorse this genocidal Section 28-2 wholeheartedly in under 24 hours. It's hopeless in the UK.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is this, Roko's Basilisk? They're really pushing the entire concept of gender identity as a cognitohazard?

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Similar story here. The simple fact is in hindsight I was never a cis guy, but without knowing about gender identity it took me almost three decades of being bullied for not being masculine enough before I figured out who I really was.

This is going to force generations of trans youths to go through that exact same isolation and trauma.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Similar story here. The simple fact is in hindsight I was never a cis guy, but without knowing about gender identity it took me almost three decades of being bullied for not being masculine enough before I figured out who I really was.

This is going to force generations of trans youths to go through that exact same isolation and trauma.
Same here. Wasn't until my mid 30s and had exposure to people discussing being trans not as some cross dressing fetish described strictly in medical terms did I realise what certain feelings and thoughts throughout my life has meant.

The cruelty of forcing this on children. The whole report any kids who show any deviance from the "norm", the utter dismantling of any support for such kids overnight and then to suggest conversion therapy instead.

Said before, will be said again: genocidal. An attempt to erase a portion of the population by suppressing information and stamping out trans folk early while making life unbearable for adults.

And for what? Any "questions" or "concerns" people like Joanne have been posing has long since fallen away to vicious mockery and hatred. I mean, I can guess where the fascist mindset leads.

Sorry. Yet another day on TERF Island takes a toll on me.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
It's literally just all the anti-gay hits repurposed for trans folks. Though really that's all the gender critical movement has ever been. It's all just been copying the Satanic panic playbook.
They have no sense of originality. Its fucked that these people have this much power, but cis people largely don't care enough and won't care until things get really bad for us, an even then I'd never put my faith in cis people.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Not just the Shadow Equalities Minister either, she's the Chair of the Labour Party.

That's effectively the number 3 position in the Party after the Leader and Deputy Leader. Short of Starmer meeting them this is about as big as it gets.
Christ. I hadn't been following the Labour leadership structure. Way bleaker than I had initially thought.

She's going to speak with Trans and LGBTQ groups as well, right.

RIGHT?!

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not unexpected, unfortunately. The current day labour party has made it all too clear that they're against the existence of trans people.

I miss Corbyn, things weren't perfect but at least he remembers there's a T in LGBTQ+

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Christ. I hadn't been following the Labour leadership structure. Way bleaker than I had initially thought.

She's going to speak with Trans and LGBTQ groups as well, right.

RIGHT?!

I would gently push back against the idea that the Chair is that important a position. It sounds important, which helps with media appearances (see how often the Chair of the Conservative Party gets the media round), but it's mostly an administrative position sitting over the admin of the party and the campaigning team, without much influence over either. It's not nothing but it's not a '3rd most powerful role in the party' sort of position, not really close. It's held alongside other roles, which should indicate how important it really is.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
archive.is

Labour plans to simplify ‘dehumanising’ gender change process

archived 19 May 2024 20:47:17 UTC

Labour will make it easier to change gender and is considering allowing a single family doctor to sign off on the decision under plans to "simplify" the process.

The plans include ditching a panel of doctors and lawyers that approve gender recognition certificates, the document allowing transgender people to have their affirmed gender legally recognised, and only requiring one doctor to be involved in the process.

The Times understands that one option under consideration is that the doctor could be a GP. Labour would also remove the ability of a spouse to object to the change. A source said the party wanted to make the process "less medicalised" but added that the plans would retain the involvement of a doctor and would not allow people to self-identify in order to obtain legal changes.

No confidence they'd actually stick with this, they're proposing putting it to a consultation, and just putting this on GPs when they're not even giving us blood tests seems problematic.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
It says something that a lackluster half step towards trans rights that might not even happen is the most positive modern labour policy I've heard about lol

I guess it would be cool if that happened! It is not enough (are GPs going to actually be trained on this, why not self-id instead, are there any plans to make HRT, etc. more accessible, what about non-binary genders), but any step towards de-emphasizing the need for trans people to have separate clinics is probably a good thing. If it happens. Big if!

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
When people say that politicans have more important issues to solve they should think for a moment how comparatively easy most trans issues could be solved.

Often it's simply enough not to be a sabotaging asshole.

Then compare their unwillingness to solve simple problems to them solving complicated problems like climate change and you might realize that this whole transphobic hystery most likely is paraded around as a smokescreen to hide how little they care about doing their job at all.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Anything less than self ID isn't good enough for praise. I'd rather this happen than not, but making it (keeping it?) something a GP has to agree to is nuts.