Status
Not open for further replies.
Philosopher and gender theorist Judith Butler's take on Rowling and her kind of transphobia
  • Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
    Nov 8, 2017
    Important note about some trans & NB folks' understandable issues with Contra
  • Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
    We need more people like Fiction around, seriously.

That fucking sucked, it hurt a lot of trans and NB people, and I don't think anyone here is excusing that (I'm not at any rate). I'll also echo Watchtower's post that you quoted: it sucks that she's "one of the biggest trans voices on YT", but I don't believe that means we should throw out everything she has to say on any subject, least of all this one. She's not always right, sometimes she's super wrong, but I think she's still got something to bring to the table due to her background, experience and expertise.

So I generally try not to jump too much into this discussion because I fully get that I, a cis man, don't have anything but other people's experiences to draw from. I do however know several trans people that have far worse to say about Contra and with far more valid reasons to do so. "One of the biggest trans voices on YT" is an undeniable fact of her placement in the space, and it's a hammer she's clearly willing to swing for the cause, but she's also both reckless in how she swings it and dismissive in who she hurts in the process.

To that end I did at least watch through the chunk around the timestamp highlighted by ElNerdo , and the statement does seem to generally acknowledge that non-binary shouldn't be excluded....which is a marked improvement over a year's worth of her dismissing them and then dismissing criticisms of said dismissal as "cancel culture" and trans harassment. It is not necessarily good, so much as it is relatively better when her normal has been so poor. And considering the subject is JK Rowling and that particular segment was on "trans women are women", it wouldn't surprise me if that was the only mention of nonbinary in the essay (though please correct me if I'm wrong).

And it's important to be vigilant on keeping these to task because Contra as a thought leader cultivates a like-minded fandom, and in dismissing concerns over nonbinary she encourages her base to do the same, something we've already seen by a couple posts in this very thread.

(And on that note, not to just straight call you out, if you weren't aware of this before then I hope this has been educational but if you did know of this before then it was a really poor move not highlighting it in the OP. I know you said you hoped to extract some value from her messages in light of that, but not highlighting the controversy if you were aware of it means that you intentionally or not are helping to downplay it.)

Also hilarious she zeroes in on trans women are women

When the other ally thing was to get them to say "trans rights" or "trans rights are human rights"

But she didn't invent those I guess!

She didn't make any mention of "trans rights are human rights" in the segment I watched, and if it's completely absent in the video then it only makes "trans liberation now" worse imo. Like, she made her own icon combining the raised fist with the trans icon and everything, she presents herself as wanting to push it as an alternative....but we already have an alternative. Trans Rights Are Human Rights. It's been an alternative at the very least since AOC said it on stream with Hbomberguy.

And guess what? Trans Rights Are Human Rights isn't inherently NB-exclusive, something her logo unfortunately is based on the quick two minutes of research I've done.

Status
    Not open for further replies.