Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
hopefully it works out but i have a hard time trusting sony to keep servers up and running long term unless its a huge success

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020

I totally agree with this.
really really not liking all this talk about many multiplayer projects from Sony.
Just leave this to all other publishers, since this is the only thing 90% of the industry is doing.
No need to make more of the same all the industry is doing.
Theres just so little huge AAA 3 person narrative games on the market that seeing the only publisher that do this, spending resources on doing more of those GaaS games makes me sad.
The division, ghost recon, rainbow six, battlefront, battlefield, COD, valorant, overwatch , counter strike. Fortnite, halo, for honor, titanfall, apex legends, back 4 blood, destiny, alien, state of decay, battlegrounds, … and this without even think…
the list can go on and on and on…
I mean, people want more of this games?
How many games exactly the same people still want?
How is possible to play so many competitive or GaaS games?
People that play single player games, finish one and go to another for other stories and characters/worlds but this GaaS games people keep there playing for months/years…
Theres really need for many more of this?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
So lets get this straight:
Naughty Dog: Working on Factions or a New Multiplayer Experience, TLOU Remake (rumored), New IP (assumed), Part III (on the pipeline).
Insomniac: Spider-Man 2 (assumed), Multiplayer project (rumored).
Guerrilla: Horizon 2 (in Production), Multiplayer project (heavily rumored).
Bend: New Open World IP (Sorta Confirmed)
Asobi: Astro's Playroom VR/Rescue Mission 2 (assumed)
London: New IP (rumored), Blood and Truth Sequel (assumed)
San Diego: MLB
Santa Monica: God of War Sequel (in Production), New IP (heavily rumored)
Sucker Punch: Tsushima Sequel (assumed)
Pixelopus: New IP (Sorta confirmed)
Polyphony: GT7 (in Production)
XDEV/Visual Arts: Assisting and working on multiple projects (assumed)
Housemarque: New IP (Sorta confirmed)
Nixxes: PC port support (assumed)

Partnerships:
Haven: Online GAAS (rumored)
Firewalk: Multiplayer New IP (confirmed)
Devation: New IP (confirmed)

To me, the upcoming first party lineup seems like a healthy balance of single player and multiplayer stuff. And lot of these MP projects could easily be modes for their single player counterparts. So I think some people here are blowing things out of proportions (as always).

Nov 21, 2017
I'm not really a fan of most GAAS games but I'm going to wait and see what this game is before I decide if I want to play it or not.

boomtrick

Banned
Jun 30, 2021
I totally agree with this.
really really not liking all this talk about many multiplayer projects from Sony.
Just leave this to all other publishers, since this is the only thing 90% of the industry is doing.
No need to make more of the same all the industry is doing.
Theres just so little huge AAA 3 person narrative games on the market that seeing the only publisher that do this, spending resources on doing more of those GaaS games makes me sad.
The division, ghost recon, rainbow six, battlefront, battlefield, COD, valorant, overwatch , counter strike. Fortnite, halo, for honor, titanfall, apex legends, back 4 blood, destiny, alien, state of decay, battlegrounds, … and this without even think…
the list can go on and on and on…
I mean, people want more of this games?
How many games exactly the same people still want?
How is possible to play so many competitive or GaaS games?
People that play single player games, finish one and go to another for other stories and characters/worlds but this GaaS games people keep there playing for months/years…
Theres really need for many more of this?

Yeah why not? If it's good I'll play it.

I don't care about filling some sort of quota.

You make it seem like we've seen all there is to see when it comes to multiplayer games lol

If Sony can bring the level of quality, polish and creativity that they do for their singleplayer games to multiplayer then that's a win for the industry.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure a brand new independent studio assembled with people who have little to no Sony connections will be bound to those historical precedents.

It is easy to dismiss the game because of many factors:
• Backed by Sony who are bad at producing and managing online games
• Project is exclusive because Haven needs capital from a publisher
• Small studio taking on service online gaming
• Fresh studio with a new project, means it is 3+ years away
• It is a studio led by a director/manager whose latest ventures include Stadia, EA Motive and a failed Ubisoft online service game

There is a list of gaming devs who left Riot/Bungie/Blizzard/EA at their peak, only to end up with mediocre independent games bankrupting themselves. You need to tell me what is exciting about this Jade-Haven-Sony partnership.

If you are the type of person who is excited about every game, and gives everything a chance, then you might be talking with the wrong people. People like me, who see a project and have to put it somewhere on the spectrum (most likely to fail/disappoint -> most likely to wow), the forecast is that it will either be a mediocre short-lived online game, or the partnership will break apart before the game is even out.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
My issue is not fear of Sony abandoning SP games. My issue is "and another GAAS title". How many GAAS titles can be played at the same time? Time is limited resource for everyone, playing same game for years is not something I want. I want as many nes and interesting experiences and stories as possible.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
My issue is not fear of Sony abandoning SP games. My issue is "and another GAAS title". How many GAAS titles can be played at the same time? Time is limited resource for everyone, playing same game for years is not something I want. I want as many nes and interesting experiences and stories as possible.
This is my issue as well. I hate anything meant to lock you into one game for extended periods of time with no end. I typically like my games to have beginnings and endings. There's just too much stuff to play for that and not enough time.

it's cool if you're someone that doesn't buy or play a lot of games throughout the year and want to get a good bang for your bucks but that's not me.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
GAAS is such a broad term that it does not make sense to parse meaning before the game is even shown, especially from a rumour.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Love to see folks yap about how Sony just stay focused on dishing out the same kind of games year after year and don't make any attempt to diversify, especially in an era where the industry is consolidating and the potential is now there for some ip to no longer have an appearance on PS.

boomtrick

Banned
Jun 30, 2021
This is my issue as well. I hate anything meant to lock you into one game for extended periods of time with no end. I typically like my games to have beginnings and endings. There's just too much stuff to play for that and not enough time.

it's cool if you're someone that doesn't buy or play a lot of games throughout the year and want to get a good bang for your bucks but that's not me.

I think you're overselling GAAS games.

I play/buy alot of games(my ps4 catalog alone is in the hundreds) and I still manage to juggle multiple GAAS titles in any given year.

It's really no different than any other game.

For example I play fortnite a couple of times a week. I spend about an hour or two every few days to play MTGA for the past 3 years. I had a Valorant addiction that lasted a few months. I play destiny for a few weeks when new DLC drops.

And I do all this while also weaving in single player games when they become available.

It's not a big deal.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't expecting such baseless and nonsensical FUD when I saw that this thread got bumped. There's absolutely no indication that Sony is going to move towards multiplayer GAAS and ditch single player, and games as a services isn't the boogie man close minded enthusiasts who don't on this forum think it is either. It's such a broad term.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't expecting such baseless and nonsensical FUD when I saw that this thread got bumped. There's absolutely no indication that Sony is going to move towards multiplayer GAAS and ditch single player, and games as a services isn't the boogie man close minded enthusiasts who don't on this forum think it is either. It's such a broad term.
A large slice of ERA still has a very narrow idea of what GaaS means, thinking of it as a genre in itself limited to a daily grind of shooting, fighting and looting.

Feb 26, 2021
Entirely untrue.

www.gameinformer.com

Studio Head Jade Raymond Sheds Light On Motive's New IP

Learn some new details about the secretive action-adventure game.
future.a16z.com

Fans, Not Professional Developers, Will Drive the Hit IPs of the Future

The franchises of the future need to be designed to ensure quality and canon even when we hand over ownership to the fans.

What are the keywords between these two pieces?

"Social"

If anything, her op-ed is suggesting that she wants to do GAAS differently from what you'd expect from traditional console shooter GAAS. Her vision of GAAS is that online games doesn't need to be "sticky" from game design ( aka strikes, raids, daily logins, a dozen different currencies, grind ) , but rather she views her ideal of GAAS to be community and socially-driven, with lightweight gameplay and UGC playing a role to create communities on its own.

PS Home reboot
tenor.gif

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Where have you been? Lol

Every new MP or GAAS announced the reaction is the same here; "hard pass" "don't care" "this is so shit".

We literally had people complaining about Battlefield 2042 not having a 5 hours campaign and this was a big deal for a lot of them apparently.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I'm willing to keep an open mind, since one of the best games last gen was a GAAS title, namely Suda's Let It Die. Although, I seriously doubt a team with their history is going to come up with something as unique as it was, and still is.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So many multiplayer projects from Sony and no Warhawk 2. Fuck all of this :)

And yeah, GaaS and multiplayer are turnoffs. Can still be good games, but it's unlikely that I enjoy them as much as a classic single player game.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
My hope is that at least one of these MP games will be a Destiny replacement for me where the game actually respects my bloody time a lot more. Can't wait to see what they're working on :)

Oct 27, 2017
People are shocked this is MP? I remember it sounding like a MP title when it was announced.

As for what I feel about this, not interested at all. If they want to make MP games then please partner with third party developers like this so that the first party developers can make SP games. In the other words, I don't care as long as the first parties don't waste their times with this (I am fine with side modes/games while they are making a main SP game though).

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
PlayStation investing in MP games is good to see.

Not really. Everyone is doing MP these days, if you're into MP it's not exactly a drought.

Firewalk, Deviation and Haven working on MP/shooters is pretty good.

Not for me. And, as I said, there's plenty of MP shooters out there, if you like them.

We have enough 3rd person open world games from Sony to be fair.

No we don't.

When 3rd person cinematic games are the #1 thing that they pump out, yes it is. They're slacking on the other side of game's

I would say they are focusing on an area not many major publishers are invested in. It's their thing. Why do they need to do what everyone else is doing?

Also, people are abusing that "cinematic game" term, trying to make it sound like Sony is making just one thing. PlayStation Studios make very different games - for example, this year we'll have Returnal, Rift Apart and Horizon II Forbidden West - and these are very different games.

Last edited:

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
You don't have to like everything and Sony doesn't have to fund things that everyone likes. If you don't like games as a service and this turns out to be in that mould then just sit it out, there's hundreds of other games to play.

Ultimately with games as a service and multiplayer games in general, their success is democratic. If they're really good and worthwhile they'll attract an audience that keeps playing them.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Not really. Everyone is doing MP these days, if you're into MP it's not exactly a drought.

Not for me. And, as I said, there's plenty of MP shooters out there, if you like them.

I don't remember asking you to be fair, so what's the point of all these comments? Like I don't care if you don't enjoy MP games I was talking about myself lol

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I don't remember asking you to be fair, so what's the point of all these comments? Like I don't care if you don't enjoy MP games I was talking about myself lol

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the concept of public forums, but you don't have to ask anyone anything for them to give their opinion.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

No we don't.

I would say they are focusing on an area not many major publishers are invested in. It's their thing. Why do they need to do what everyone else is doing?

Also, people are abusing that "cinematic game" term, trying to make it sound like Sony is making just one thing. PlayStation Studios make very different games - for example, this year we'll have Returnal, Rift Apart and Horizon II Forbidden West - and these are very different games.

lol, relax friend. Sony's got single player content coming out the wazoo and no doubt will be doubling down on that compared to what we got last gen. They know what their strength is and no way they're going to abandon it, and all the evidence points to them fortifying their position as leaders in that field. At the same time Sony's allowed to expand their horizons with content to flesh out their own catalog even more. It doesn't matter if other 3rd parties are also doing MP, Sony wants their own slice of the pie that they own and plenty of gamers are always looking for something fresh and new to play.

Sony's a business just like any other and honestly it doesn't take much thought to answer the question of why they'd want to expand their multiplayer footprint when we look at how much money MP games rake in. It's also why they're expanding their PC footprint and mobile footprint. It's also why they're bringing their IP to TV and movies. More money.

They want the one thing that all other companies want - your time. They want you spending as much time with their products, using their services and engrossed in their games as possible. You argue that there's tons of third parties out there doing it, well guess what, those third parties have their content on other non-Sony platforms too and plenty of people are spending their time on those other platforms as well. Sony wants some hot-shit exclusive multiplayer content that folks will have to experience in their ecosystem. No doubt as this gen progresses we'll see more MP titles from them that have console/PC/mobile cross-play.

And really, what company doesn't want their next multiplayer title to be the next Fortnite, or the next CoD, or the next Destiny. A successful IP like that can help fund a dozen big single player AAA games so as a fan of single player games you should be HOPING that their multiplayer ventures are successful as that means more money to dump into other ventures. To quote Cerny, a rising tide lifts all boats.

Oct 30, 2017
They don't need to do what everyone else is doing but more variety in their FP AAA-offerings doesn't hurt. People who buy Sony consoles also would like to play first person-shooters, multiplayer games, role-playing games etc developed by the big Sony studios.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

There certainly isn't a plenty of Souls-/roguelikes with co-op and/or asynchronous PVP for those who don't like the usual PVP in multiplayer games, or shooters in general.

We have enough 3rd person open world games from Sony to be fair.

We have way too much open world games in general these days. There's a drought of linear/Metroidvania 3rd person games in the AAA space, especially when even Sony started to follow that trend during the latter half of last gen.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the concept of public forums, but you don't have to ask anyone anything for them to give their opinion.

I'm familiar with the concept of public forum but you are replying with someone giving his damn opinion and being excited on new type of games coming from Sony. "No we don't" or "there's enough GAAS" comments are pretty much void statement that makes no sense since I wasn't asking an opinion.

If you are not asked to give an opinion you shouldn't reply to others people posts in such a passive/defensive way.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Are people really bailing on a game before they see a single pixel of it? That can't be genuine.
Some people don't like horror games. Some don't like JRPGs. Some don't like CRPGs. Some don't like racing games. Some don't like episodic games. Some don't like walking sims. Some don't like open-world, Ubisoft-like games. Some don't like soulsbornes. Some don't like rogue-likes. Some don't like simulators.

Why is it that some take offence at others not being into heavily multiplayer, or, at least, online-focused experiences?

Oct 27, 2017
I am not convinced on Deviation's game being online (or at least online only) based on what I can tell from their hiring for now. As they are hiring people for Narrative, boss fights etc.
Meanwhile Haven which clearly also seems far earlier in development, are hiring for online software engineers to scale for a large amount of players.

I'd like to see more FPS campaigns like Half-Life 2/Halo Reach, but if they have to go the Destiny route (which I am expecting from Firewalk) hopefully they have better level design and structure.

The market is saturated with MP games and most have a very short lifespan. Market is also saturated with open world so I can do without those as well. What I prefer are single player linear experiences like God of War, Ratchet and Returnal. This is a segment in the market that can get more love and it's a proven successful segment to target.

But they're not leaving that part of the market behind, as evidenced by all of their big PS5 releases so far.

Damn so she ditched Stadia eh?

Stadia closed down all internal development studios at the beginning of the year IIRC, and she was head of one of their internal development teams.

I mean it's not surprising around here.
Multiplayer = bad

Bonus:
First Person = bad

Sony seems to going all in on penetrating the multiplayer space which they completely lack presence in. There's those 3 partnerships in addition to the Factions game which has probably turned into a The Division kinda game by now and there's Insomniac's I think.

Plus probably a multiplayer shooter from Guerrilla Games. And those are just the ones we know about/can make informed guesses about.

It's hard to pass judgment on a game we know next to nothing about except a unsubstantiated rumor from Reddit.

Are you new to Era?! 🙃

The irony is that after their huge success last gen with the likes of Horizon, GoW, GoT and Spider-Man they're probably going to invest even more in single player games. They'll just be investing in new MP games as well.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
If it's not a shooter and she's trying to make something more relaxed and less grindy then i'm happy to give it a chance.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
You don't have to like everything and Sony doesn't have to fund things that everyone likes. If you don't like games as a service and this turns out to be in that mould then just sit it out, there's hundreds of other games to play.

Ultimately with games as a service and multiplayer games in general, their success is democratic. If they're really good and worthwhile they'll attract an audience that keeps playing them.

There are less and less mid sized AAA one and done SP games. Just look at Ubisoft, outside Mario&Rabbids they don't have single AAA game shorter than 50h riddled with MTX and bloated content. EA is releasing SP AAA game once in a blue moon, MS pipeline is also thin with those kind of games. And then we see even indie developers now going for GAAS. They stopped making immersive sims, stealth games, they stopped making 12-15h action adventure games. So no there are no hundreds of games that I can/want to play.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
lol, relax friend. Sony's got single player content coming out the wazoo and no doubt will be doubling down on that compared to what we got last gen. They know what their strength is and no way they're going to abandon it, and all the evidence points to them fortifying their position as leaders in that field. At the same time Sony's allowed to expand their horizons with content to flesh out their own catalog even more. It doesn't matter if other 3rd parties are also doing MP, Sony wants their own slice of the pie that they own and plenty of gamers are always looking for something fresh and new to play.

Sony's a business just like any other and honestly it doesn't take much thought to answer the question of why they'd want to expand their multiplayer footprint when we look at how much money MP games rake in. It's also why they're expanding their PC footprint and mobile footprint. It's also why they're bringing their IP to TV and movies. More money.

They want the one thing that all other companies want - your time. They want you spending as much time with their products, using their services and engrossed in their games as possible. You argue that there's tons of third parties out there doing it, well guess what, those third parties have their content on other non-Sony platforms too and plenty of people are spending their time on those other platforms as well. Sony wants some hot-shit exclusive multiplayer content that folks will have to experience in their ecosystem. No doubt as this gen progresses we'll see more MP titles from them that have console/PC/mobile cross-play.

And really, what company doesn't want their next multiplayer title to be the next Fortnite, or the next CoD, or the next Destiny. A successful IP like that can help fund a dozen big single player AAA games so as a fan of single player games you should be HOPING that their multiplayer ventures are successful as that means more money to dump into other ventures. To quote Cerny, a rising tide lifts all boats.

Oh, I agree and I know what their business decision is here, also, I don't think their singleplayer games are going away, not this gen anyway. However, lately (and this has little to do with Sony) I became worried about big-budget singleplayer games long-term for some reason. And yes, I know a ton of sp games are coming out all the time, but the way Fortnites, CoDs and similar games are dominating the market and earning insane amounts of money, it gets me thinking. And then the rumors of Spider-Man 2 being coop started coming out, then quite a few Sony 1st party studios started working on MP games, etc.

And I'm not really worried, I'm just discussing it and reacting to people - it's not like I go through my day thinking about this :) Thanks for the detailed reply, btw.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
There are less and less mid sized AAA one and done SP games. Just look at Ubisoft, outside Mario&Rabbids they don't have single AAA game shorter than 50h riddled with MTX and bloated content. EA is releasing SP AAA game once in a blue moon, MS pipeline is also thin with those kind of games. And then we see even indie developers now going for GAAS. They stopped making immersive sims, stealth games, they stopped making 12-15h action adventure games. So no there are no hundreds of games that I can/want to play.
To be fair we're getting Resident Evil Village, Ratchet & Clank, Psychonauts 2 and Deathloop in a three month window. There are lots of AAA single player experiences for those who want them, with a new Halo and Horizon game at the end of this year.

I'm not sure why you think Immersive Sim and Stealth Games have disappeared. We had Hitman 3 this year, Arkane have made incredible immersive sims in the last decade and have another Immersive Sim next year. I'm playing through Doom right now, when I'm done I'll move to Deaths Door. There's tons of one and done experiences to fill your boots with if that's what you're into.

GaaS multiplayer games are still a minority within the industry, but a lot of high profile companies have pivoted to the model to sustain their communities. Sony still have Guerrilla, Naughty Dog, SSM, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Sony Bend and more who have all released singleplayer one and done games in the last 2-3 years and will all no doubt release more of them in the future.

Ultimately Sony don't have a good multiplayer IP in their roster and haven't created one to date. It's highly logical to keep trying to achieve that as they are well stocked for Singleplayer IPs.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not surprising around here.
Multiplayer = bad

Bonus:
First Person = bad

Sony seems to going all in on penetrating the multiplayer space which they completely lack presence in. There's those 3 partnerships in addition to the Factions game which has probably turned into a The Division kinda game by now and there's Insomniac's I think.
Some people are really gonna hate Sony's output this gen, between their stack of MP projects and PSVR 2 which will cover a lot of first person perspective games. I love when licensed games do things well, like Alien Isolation in first person is perfection, but something like Avatar though? I can't help but side with people disappointed in a decision like that - it feels a bit wasteful not being able to see your player character (Na'vi) in this case.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I have a strong bias towards single player too, but I'll always give creators a chance first. The immediate reactions based off one tenuous rumor is a touch over-dramatic.

Honestly, I'm in the same boat, most multiplayer games aren't really for me and it would be fair to be a bit skeptical cause the Gaas trend didn't really work for most but can't just dismiss everything before we see a single frame, not unless they're all making the same game for some reason.

Plus probably a multiplayer shooter from Guerrilla Games. And those are just the ones we know about/can make informed guesses about.

Yeah I remember reading someone from Rainbow Six is attached to a project at Guerrilla now.

Some people are really gonna hate Sony's output this gen, between their stack of MP projects and PSVR 2 which will cover a lot of first person perspective games. I love when licensed games do things well, like Alien Isolation in first person is perfection, but something like Avatar though? I can't help but side with people disappointed in a decision like that - it feels a bit wasteful not being able to see your player character (Na'vi) in this case.

They have to, I don't think they can afford not to tbh. But regarding the first person thing, it just feels like some people here don't care for that entire camera perspective and dismiss it entirely as if every game in fp is the same.