Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
The Sims is about to get even more competition. A new studio co-founded by Jake Solomon, the veteran game designer behind XCOM and Marvel's Midnight Suns, will challenge Maxis' enduring and dominant life simulation game series with a new, still-untitled game that focuses on "the drama of modern life."

Joining Solomon at his new game company Midsummer Studios are co-founder Will Miller (also formerly of Firaxis) and ex-The Sims producer-director Grant Rodiek (aka "SimGuru Grant"). Rodiek was previously game director on Project Rene, Maxis' in-development follow-up to The Sims 4. At least a half dozen other former Firaxis game developers who worked on the XCOM games and Marvel's Midnight Suns are also now at Midsummer Studios.

Full article from Polygon.

Personally, The Sims has never been my jam but Jake is one of the GOATs so they have my attention.

Edit:

He also did an interview with VGC.

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not this, but I would love a X-com/Midnight Suns base-building, card driven life-sim game.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of money to be made in that Sims space. I don't get the appeal, but people buy a LOT of DLC/microtransactions.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
damn, between this and the other Paradox not-Sims, Sims fans will be eating soon.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Always interested in whatever Jake Solomon does next, a life sim wouldn't have been something I'd expect, though will definitely let him cook. Very cool to see more people taking a shot at The Sims too.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
Seems like there are a lot of people cropping up to try and get a piece of the lucrative Sims market. Paralives, Life For You, InZoi, and now this. However, I'm skeptical that they will manage to make a big dent to the Sims juggernaut. My 74-year-old mother, 41-year-old sister, and 10-year-old daughter all play The Sims. (I play too sometimes, lest I make it sound like a girls-only game.) It's a franchise that, despite its many missteps, has created its own niche and whose fans may not even consider switching for a different game. Maybe it'll be like the "cozy game" market where there is a clear leader that popularized the genre (Stardew) but many other games making enough money to survive or even thrive? But cozy games are a lot cheaper to make than The Sims.

Trigger

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The genre could use some innovation. It's crazy that the Sims has been able to dominate for so long.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
And how does he feel about Midnight Suns, now that the dust has settled and the game has gone on to become something of a fondly regarded cult favourite?

"The most typical reaction when people play Midnight Suns is surprise, and that's not the reaction you want," he laughs. "That is not the reaction that lends itself to mass appeal."

"I think cards were a major problem. I think it was a good design solution, but I think I was naive about what people would think when they saw the mechanic was cards. Not everyone on my team was behind the idea, but they trusted me."

Enjoyed Midnight Suns, but can definitely see it lacking appeal on the basis of its key combat/gameplay mechanic - did become a bit repetitive for me by the end. If anything after beating Suns, I would love to see Solomon or similar tackle an X-Men game in the proper X-COM vein.

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
Not really a sim games type person but interested to see where Jake takes the genre. Maybe he can do what he did with XCOM and a create an amazing take on an old classic.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Whoooooa this is wild. Very interested to see where this goes. Anyone have the story as to why Rodiek left Sims 4?

glow39

May 4, 2022
Very exciting to hear about this even if it will likely be ages until it's formally announced. This genre has been needing some competition badly. TS4 in particular has set some low lows and EA has been needing a shake up

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
"XCOM... fuck yeah.. Midnight Suns.. okay.. The Sims is about to get some competition... the fuck?"

Never played it or a "life sim" but cool that it's Solomon.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Unexpected, but makes a lot of sense. I mean the Sims has basically gone unchallenged in the genre for a long time I think. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but it'll be interesting to see how this shapes up.

Steven1090

May 5, 2024
Was so sad when I read he was leaving Firaxis. I remember him promoting Xcom enemy unknown and his passion was so uplifting and I loved that game. The sequel is in my top 10 games ever. Great to see he's still making games.

uncledonnie

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously as a creator he should make what he is inspired to make and I'll always check out anything Solomon does.

But I really want more like X-com.