DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021

View: https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1621147244815876096
Ahead of the film's Feb. 10 theatrical re-release, the 68-year-old filmmaker puts the speculation to rest in the upcoming National Geographic special Titanic: 25 Years Later With James Cameron. In it, Cameron works with a team of scientists to recreate the scene and test four different scenarios in which Jack actually climbed aboard the wreckage, too.
In the first round, "Jack and Rose are able to get on the raft, but now they're both submerged in dangerous levels of freezing water," Cameron observes in the clip above.

Next, the team fits both actors on the raft in a position that lifts their upper bodies — and vital organs — out of the water, increasing their chances for survival.

"Out of the water, [his body's] violent shaking was helping him," Cameron continues. "Projecting it out, he could've made it pretty long. Like, hours."
For the final test, the actors perform all of the physically strenuous actions Jack and Rose went through prior to finding the floating door — including the scene where another passenger tries to use Rose as a floatation device, only to be met with a heavy blow from Jack's fist. They also add an extra moment that didn't happen in the film, as the Rose in the experiment gives Jack a life jacket for added protection.

"He's stabilized," Cameron observes. "He got into a place where if we projected that out, he just might've made it until the lifeboat got there. Jack might've lived, but there's a lot of variables. I think his thought process was, 'I'm not going to do one thing that jeopardized her,' and that's 100 percent in character."
"I have to be honest: I actually don't believe that we would have survived if we had both gotten on that door. I think he would have fit, but it would have tipped and it would not have been a sustainable idea," Winslet said in December on the Happy Sad Confused podcast. "So, you heard it here for the first time. Yes, he could have fit on that door, but it would not have stayed afloat. It wouldn't."
ew.com

Watch James Cameron recreate 'Titanic' floating door scene to see if Jack fit with Rose

James Cameron and a team of scientists carefully recreated the iconic 'Titanic' scene to test the fan theory that Jack could've fit on the floating door with Rose.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Wait, did they actually put them in freezing waters to test this?

Dude is shivering.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Now show us what's behind the door in the Mariana Trench!

Wait, did they actually put them in freezing waters to test this?

Had to do something different since mythbusters answered this years ago. Plus it added variables which allowed for him to give an indecisive answer.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
To make it more authentic, he should have reconstructed the Titanic again and sunk it with them barely escaping it first so as to approximate Jack's level of fatigue.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
"Now, when you factor in their level of fatigue..."
*starts violentally dunking their heads under the water*

Oct 30, 2017
I get making them shiver, but recreating the exact amount of punches? Really?

Also, the door in the movie looks waaay bigger and they had more room to move.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At this rate Cameron's going to eventually make "The Floating Door" into hit 4th 2 Billion Dollar grossing film.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
…I guess it's cheap promotion for the Titanic re-release in movie theaters next week or whenever.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
"Pffff how dumb! Why didn't Leo just hop on the board too? 🧠"

"Nooooooooo don't test it!!!!"

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Look man, I don't mean to offend anyone so please don't take this literally

But this is some micro-dick energy right here

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
"Now, when you factor in their level of fatigue..."
*starts violentally dunking their heads under the water*
Cameron is known for his authenticity when shooting water scenes.

Cameron proceeds to partially drown actors in actually freezing water to get the real experience of clinging to that door for dear life.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Now let's recreate the scene of the guy hitting the the propeller to see if he could have survived.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the making of the making of Titanic Documentary

Good luck finding out that reference

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
I think we should recreate the whole movie but this time for real

May 14, 2021
Cool, more bitch eating crackers energy. Thankfully most people can comprehend the simple reasoning behind doing this.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
could Cameron use this time and energy in remastering True Lies and The Abyss blurays instead please :(