Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

A grand jury investigating the efforts of former president Donald Trump and others to overturn the results of the 2020 election has returned an indictment, though the document remained under seal and it was not immediately clear who was charged, or with what alleged crimes.

Trump's legal team was notified Tuesday that the former president had been indicted, according to a person familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the indictment had not yet been made public.

A spokesman for the former president, Steven Cheung, accused the current administration of trying to interfere with the 2024 election by targeting the current GOP frontrunner.

About 5 p.m., reporters observed a prosecutor with special counsel Jack Smith's office and the foreperson of a grand jury that has been active for many months examining the events surrounding Jan. 6 deliver the indictment to a magistrate judge in federal court in Washington, D.C.
About 5 p.m., reporters observed a prosecutor with special counsel Jack Smith's office and the foreperson of a grand jury that has been active for many months examining the events surrounding Jan. 6 deliver the indictment to a magistrate judge in federal court in Washington, D.C.

No official announcement has been made by the Justice Department, and it was not immediately clear how long it would take for the indictment to be unsealed.
That grand jury panel gathered Tuesday, and left the courthouse in the afternoon. The indictment is the first known charge or charges to be filed in the special counsel probe of the machinations that led up to the Jan. 6, 2021 riot at the U.S. Capitol, and its aftermath.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Moxila A. Upadhyaya accepted the grand jury return, saying, "I do have one indictment return before me, and I have reviewed the paperwork in connection with this indictment."
The indictment could mark a major new phase in Smith's investigation of the former president and his aides and allies, coming nearly two months after Trump and his longtime valet were indicted for allegedly mishandling classified documents and scheming to prevent government officials from retrieving them.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
2b6

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if you tried to illegally overturn an election you should be made to sit the next one out, idk

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
when you fill out your indictment punch card you get a free 6 inch sub

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, a statement from Jack Smith is coming about this

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
There was an essay in the NYTimes today, in the opinion section, that outlined a lot of Smith's experience dealing with trying heads of state and dealing with the sort of populist defenses that they use to try and get out of trouble. Was an interesting read about a guy and the struggles he had in trying to hold the most powerful to account.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
As I mentioned in the other thread, it's a 45-page indictment for POTUS #45. Jack Smith is a poet

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
a hilarious side note is that Ron DeSantis is going to get his ass kicked by a guy with 3 indictments

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Cross-posting from the other thread, so people have reference:
The four Counts (with Count One being page 1/39):
l4TIJF4.png
EWqkVaG.png
N9hQs5w.png
AcwO6k5.png

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
a hilarious side note is that Ron DeSantis is going to get his ass kicked by a guy with 3 indictments
Tbh I'm past the point of finding dunking on Desantis funny when Trump is in a legit position to be back in office within a year and a half from now anyway. Also Desantis will be pissed and a lameduck, so he will go even more full rain fire on Florida and destroy so many lives.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
he better watch out

if you hit 10 indictments, you get sternly reprimanded before you're sworn in for president

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
As not an american, I know you can't procecute a sitting president. But say he drags this out and wins in 2024, can he be tried and sentenced while in office?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I'm past the point of finding dunking on Desantis funny when Trump is in a legit position to be back in office within a year and a half from now anyway. Also Desantis will be pissed and a lameduck, so he will go even more full rain fire on Florida and destroy so many lives.

I will never find dunking on DeSantis not funny