• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Mailenstein

Mailenstein

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
My favorite konbini fried chicken was チキンビッツ (like mini kara-age or popcorn chicken) that they used to sell at Lawson. I think they stopped around 2007 and I've missed them ever since :(
A store nearby my place sells ミニ唐揚げ for a 100 yen, filled with pieces which are way too small for the 弁当 they are selling. Tastes amazing.

Miedo

Oct 27, 2017
A few of the the Lawsons in my neighborhood sell the little mini kara-age popcorn chicken. It always is on a little table outside of the normal age-mono case. I think a person could live off kara-age and gyoza to a lesser extent for the rest of their lives.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here familiar with MEXT? Is a BS or BA more appealing for it? Does it matter?

A BA would allow me to intergrate japan specific studies into my curriculum that may prove useful, but i dont know if a bachelor of arts grad school is a thing in japan

Vans

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
In my experience after dealing with the embassy and people at the university the only "strong" BA applications have to do with dedicated study of Japanese culture, usually Japanese history or language. The strongest applications AFAIK are science degrees, especially engineering.

Oct 27, 2017
Would a BS in computer science be better than a BA of CS w focus on japanese culture?

It would be a huge dent if i had to BS it and self teach the japanese aspects, especially considering that MEXT requires you to have a japanese professor to begin with

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
the fucks an Lチキ? Please tell me Lawson haven't gotten rid of からあげクン ?!

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Lチキ is the Lawson ripoff of ファミチキ. からあげクン is still around, though, so don't sweat it.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Reminds me when I went to Sapporo this summer and was hanging out with a Korean tourist friend. "Have you been to this place!? -her pointing at a Lawson- ITS SOOO GOOD RIGHT!" haha. For w/e reason her friends told her a thing to do while here was try all three major combini's foods. Which I guess I would recommend too but it made me laugh pretty hard.

Though factually famichikien is the superior non-disclosed fried cut of bird.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Except in Japan. I know liberal arts students who entered large companies as 総合職 and were shoehorned into system engineering...

Yeah. The way it works in Japan is very unique. As Japanese employment is often for life, and as Japanese companies work more as families, you usually get hired before you even have a role at the company. Many of my Japanese friends study whatever they want for four years and then get a job in something completely different. One of my friends has an arts major, and now got hired for Amazon, lol.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Yeah. The way it works in Japan is very unique. As Japanese employment is often for life, and as Japanese companies work more as families, you usually get hired before you even have a role at the company. Many of my Japanese friends study whatever they want for four years and then get a job in something completely different. One of my friends has an arts major, and now got hired for Amazon, lol.

To be honest, that's what happened to me, too. I graduated from a Japanese university and entered a big gaming company. During the interview process, I stressed that I wanted to be involved in something related to global marketing.

My first job in the company was in QA, the next was a specialized assistant producer/pseudo-project manager, where I still am right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes of course, BS > BA always.

Also studying "japanese culture" is useless for getting a job in tech

I see. Thanks for the reply. To explain further, this is my dilemma. I have about one year to figure this out (i get my associate's and transfer to state uni next year, at which point i'll be locked into either BS or BA). Getting to N2 pre-requisite to even qualify for the MEXT examination is going to be difficult if i'm in a full-time BS study with zero room for japanese classes, also taking into consideration both that the BS does not have foreign language class requirements, and considering that I do need a japanese professor to qualify for MEXT, this means i would have to either double-major which financial aid certainly won't let me do, or take classes outside of my major which I don't think the pell grant will allow me to do. The BA is the answer to this problem, but you say the BS is clearly better. This is certainly a difficult decision for me then. I'll talk it over with an advisor when the time comes. Thanks Yohane.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My family lives in a small town in Japan, but this Christmas I will be visiting for a month and two weeks in Tokyo specifically. Anything super fun we should do? I love JoJo's bizarre adventure and am hoping to see some of the cafes. As well as catch a concert or two

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
My family lives in a small town in Japan, but this Christmas I will be visiting for a month and two weeks in Tokyo specifically. Anything super fun we should do? I love JoJo's bizarre adventure and am hoping to see some of the cafes. As well as catch a concert or two
Go to the JoJo bar in outside Nakano broadway. When I went, the bartenders were all really fun, and the drinks are creative. Some photos I took:
Japanese friend who loves JoJo
DJ5A_y_VAAAN3y-.jpg
Menu is Koichi's face after Heaven's Door has been used
Two more pics.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go to the JoJo bar in outside Nakano broadway. When I went, the bartenders were all really fun, and the drinks are creative. Some photos I took:

Two more pics.

Looks awesome, thanks !

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
I'm coming up on two years here. Time is going by rather quickly. I was in Asakusa earlier this morning. Lovely day so far.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Every day is always packed here tho. Full day in Odaiba last Thursday, full day on Mt Takao yesterday, full day in Kamakura today, full day in Nikko tomorrow, karaoke next Tuesday, and Wednesday I should probably study ^^'

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
Except in Japan. I know liberal arts students who entered large companies as 総合職 and were shoehorned into system engineering...

Absolutely, that's one of the causes of all that famous stress in the Japanese corporate culture. Most of the guys I know in that specific situation ended up asking for a role reassignment and others just changed jobs.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this question is better suited for this thread or the travel thread, but I'll start here.

Thinking of coming over for a few months (as long as a visitor visa will keep me) next year. I've been to Japan plenty of times, and likely will be staying outside the big cities (have a friend up in Aomori and might stay up there).

Is Leopalace a good option for finding an apartment for a few months, or are there other options I should look into?

I did do a working holiday a few years back, and am familiar with some of the Tokyo options (ended up staying in a Fontana place that was pretty good), but not familiar with being out in the country a bit.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Lチキ is good and all, but the best convenience store hot item when it comes to the taste/price is the とり天 at 7-11. That stuff is so good and only costs 100 yen or so.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
I like oden but nah, never even considered it from combini. Why, when there's so many glorious varieties of cheese manju.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Was very sad that because of the typhoon Jidai Matsuri was cancelled. Knew a few guys involved and they've been hard at work repairing and refurnishing some of the equipment and costumes.

shanshan310

Oct 27, 2017

lol yeah. My boss has a masters in microbiology, now he plans city events and babysits me. Go figure.

Also ain't nothing wrong with liberal arts research.

Two more pics.

Thank you so much for this. I've been looking for fun new stuff to do in Tokyo. Every time I'm there I just end up going to Guzman Y Gomez and maruzen
and maybe akiba for that weeaboo lyfe
and then I'm exhausted by all the people >.>

Oichi

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Osaka represeeeeeeeeent.

Also, I don't know if I'm the only one, but I like Space Station's atmosphere, clientele and their games, but I HATE the cramped space and the fact that it's smokey as fuck. I always prefer the Japanese-run gaming bars which are at least 50% non-smoking. Don't know if I'm the only one who feels like that. It seems that Space Station is a bar first and then games second, but the Japanese ones are games first, bar second.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Osaka represeeeeeeeeent.

Also, I don't know if I'm the only one, but I like Space Station's atmosphere, clientele and their games, but I HATE the cramped space and the fact that it's smokey as fuck. I always prefer the Japanese-run gaming bars which are at least 50% non-smoking. Don't know if I'm the only one who feels like that. It seems that Space Station is a bar first and then games second, but the Japanese ones are games first, bar second.

Space Station is definitely a bar first, games second type of place. I've been there a couple of times and it really feels like a meeting place for foreigners who enjoy games rather than a place to chill and play games.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Sorry for the double post but does anyone know what's up with Xbox One X in Japan?

It's supposed to be released today but for months upon months it's been unavailable for order on retailer sites and Amazon only returns 3rd party listings with exorbitant prices (50-150% margin or 75-150k JPY). It's getting ridiculous.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
There was a thread for this article
How to Hire Fake Friends and Family
In Japan, you can pay an actor to impersonate your relative, spouse, coworker, or any kind of acquaintance.

Have any of you ever heard of this? Seriously surreal. I'd never heard of this before, but I don't think I know the people that would use this service... although I suppose you never know.

Yeah, I think this is pretty well know, it's one of those things that people always bring up when they want to talk about how weird Japan is.

Really surreal indeed.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry for the double post but does anyone know what's up with Xbox One X in Japan?

It's supposed to be released today but for months upon months it's been unavailable for order on retailer sites and Amazon only returns 3rd party listings with exorbitant prices (50-150% margin or 75-150k JPY). It's getting ridiculous.

Apparently, (According to Kotaku) over the shelf versions don't exist and online or store pre-orders were the only accepted sales. If you did not order one, they did not purchase it so the only thing available when pre-orders closed are the marked up ones. Did not even try it seems. Though given how expensive 4K TV's are here to...

-------------

Been getting more and more curious about my dream/possible pet project in a few years of owning my own bar/managing one. Got a lot of offers from owners to show me the ropes lately but aside from preparing drinks and learning to cook a bit, I wanna get in on the paperwork side...
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
though I can't say I'm surprised haha.

Speaking of, I'll be hitting Kyoto for the first time in two weeks. If anyone has a recommendation for bars that are unique or just have nice staff let me know. I like to try everything and get some mental notes.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Apparently, (According to Kotaku) over the shelf versions don't exist and online or store pre-orders were the only accepted sales. If you did not order one, they did not purchase it so the only thing available when pre-orders closed are the marked up ones. Did not even try it seems. Though given how expensive 4K TV's are here to...

Well, that sucks. But the problem is that I've been on the look-out on Amazon for months and they've always been sold out and never open for pre-order. Grrrrr.

Speaking of, I'll be hitting Kyoto for the first time in two weeks. If anyone has a recommendation for bars that are unique or just have nice staff let me know. I like to try everything and get some mental notes.

I've not been to a lot of bars in Kyoto but I've heard Bouzu Bar is interesting. I personally enjoy the food at Tadg's Gastro Pub. Tadg himself is also an awesome dude.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting my driving licence here in japan. Wish I didn't have to sit through all the boring theory lessons but I'm almost done so it's ok I guess. Anyone else has experience learning to drive in japan?

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Osaka represeeeeeeeeent.

Yeah, I've only been to Space Station twice. It's a nice place but definitely a bar first.

Osaka represent, too.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I've not been to a lot of bars in Kyoto but I've heard Bouzu Bar is interesting. I personally enjoy the food at Tadg's Gastro Pub. Tadg himself is also an awesome dude.

Cool, I'll think about checking them out. Since I'm doing this one alone I like to get recommendations for anything with good food and drinks. Always annoying when I see a place that looks great but is clearly made for groups only @.@

Also anyone climbed Kaimondake? I mean it's like... right there for me and my friends want to do it but gawd I HATE mountain hikes. Walking forest trails, sure. Going up to a power spot in the range, love it but I can't stand hiking up the entire mountain just to see the top. It's just something im not interested in. I get it that the view is amazing, but I get over it sooooo fast. Not to mention I don't like standing at high places looking down. It's a weird non-acrophobia. -sigh- I will probably end up going and having a good time haha.

Also screw the rounded boulders that seem to be on every mountain trail. SCREW UM!

----

Mountain rants aside, Lawsons has a spicy noodle soup this month... it rightfully fucked my stomach up eating it at midnight after a nomihodai but man its good.

Last edited:

BombStrike

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Back-ported from the other forum, thought I'd drop my bar/burgers recommendations:

Burger places:
* Fellows (omotesando): Usually very busy and small, pretty nice in the evening
* The Great Burger (meiji-jingumae): One of my top recommendation, wait time is not too bad even on busy days, really great burgers
* Brozers (ningyocho): Slightly further after Tokyo but another really good burger
* Gotham Grill (ebisu): Probably one of the best burger I had in Japan, but very expensive (2,600 jpy iirc, been a while since I went)
* Golden Brown (nakameguro): Another really good burger but the place is quite small and closes early

Game Bars:
* Asobiba ( akihabara ): Very small game bar but good drinks and food, don't go there with more than 2/3 people, has some retro games playable
* Flash Back ( kitasenju ): Bigger place than the previous one and run by an old acquaintance of mine, has actual modern consoles you can play

Craft Beer Places:
* Frigo ( shinjuku ): Expensive place but if you're searching for European crafts they have a very large selection
* Belgo ( shibuya ): Frigo's little brother, smaller and more cozy, less selection but still a good place
* Craft Beer Market ( otemachi, jimbocho, awajicho, kanda ): Japanese and foreign crafts, really good selection
* Beer Wars ( higashi-nihombashi ): My usual refuge, going there at least twice a month, japanese and US crafts and really nice food
* Baird Tap Room Harajuku ( harajuku ): Make their own crafts, really really good food and nice beers
* Yona Yona ( omotesando, shinjuku ): Also another brewery, really good beers and food. The one in Shinjuku is quite huge if you have a large group

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Craft Beer Places:
* Frigo ( shinjuku ): Expensive place but if you're searching for European crafts they have a very large selection
* Belgo ( shibuya ): Frigo's little brother, smaller and more cozy, less selection but still a good place
* Craft Beer Market ( otemachi, jimbocho, awajicho, kanda ): Japanese and foreign crafts, really good selection
* Beer Wars ( higashi-nihombashi ): My usual refuge, going there at least twice a month, japanese and US crafts and really nice food
* Baird Tap Room Harajuku ( harajuku ): Make their own crafts, really really good food and nice beers
* Yona Yona ( omotesando, shinjuku ): Also another brewery, really good beers and food. The one in Shinjuku is quite huge if you have a large group

I'm not big on the craft beer scene in Tokyo, but is there no love for Popeye in Ryogoku? 70 beers on tap and if you go there during happy hour you get one plate of food with select beers.