squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Super Robot Wars Alpha and Alpha Gaiden. Gaiden even has a complete English fan-translation.

iU7kRy9.jpg

8Bvld6u.jpg

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
LSD to this day is one of the most bonkers Japanese exclusive games I've ever played.

it's on the Japanese PSN store. It's not so much a game as it is just a weird experience. And it gets weirder the more you play.

PS1 has a lot of cool experimental games that they apparently thought were too strange for our American brains to handle.

Which is odd, given how bizarre our 90s game ads were....

Anyhow, many of them are cool concepts, but fairly mid-tier games (Oh No! being an example).

Ore no Ryori has been my favorite of the lot, even if it wrecks your hands to play.

Pop N Tanks is pretty cool, kinda like an anime Twisted Metal.

Gekisou Tomarunner is also a unique idea.

I would love to get a shot to play Little Ralph!

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
When you're right you're right.

I've been thinking a lot about trying out the PSP entries lately, glad to hear 4 scales up well. There's a remake of 2 on the PSP too right? Any experience with that?

Also just want to say, I just got that Scroll issue a few weeks ago and it's really an excellent read if you're interested in the games in any way.

It's not really a remake, just a port with some added features (I think).

I've not tried it out yet. Would imagine it's very similar to 4 though.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
Finished Escaform a couple of weeks ago:

escaform-353x360.jpg

Played it because I like SRPGs and the character art is cool... That's mostly what I got. Super vanilla in terms of gameplay (outside of one mechanic where you're able to store unused action points as armour), but has an interesting world and vibe (which I can say about a ton of PS1 SRPGs tbh, like Volfoss). On the shorter side (under 20 hours for sure). Not even worth recommending really, but I dunno where I would have mentioned it if not in this thread. Bizarre FMVs when they crop up.

The Black/Matrix franchise is legitimately super good, and worth tracking down if you're a fan of SRPGS/SMT vibes. In terms of games with a fan-translation, Tear Ring Saga is from the creator of Fire Emblem and basically PS1 Fire Emblem (to the point where Nintendo sued and lost).

latest

EDIT: I imagine a couple of Kill the Past fans would get a kick out of some of the character designs:

6CC9VXG.png
Nothing from Black Matrix was ever fantranslated was it? I seem to remember one that got stuck at like 10% : /

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Intelligent Qube had a JP only sequel, and there's countless quirky gems like Moon and Addie's Present, but this is my holy grail of unlocalized PS1 games:

The sequel to Rhapsody, about Marl's daughter.

Obligatory epic musical sequence at 1:28 -

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tobal 2, the best fighting game on the PS1. Still plays well and visually it has stood the test of time thanks to a simple aesthetic and fluid animations.

2SBRxiL.gif
jNltZ2l.gif

X5wmeme.gif
EA9P2l2.gif

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Intelligent Qube had a JP only sequel, and there's countless quirky gems like Moon and Addie's Present, but this is my holy grail of unlocalized PS1 games:

The sequel to Rhapsody, about Marl's daughter.

Obligatory epic musical sequence at 1:28 -

Damn, looks like I woulda loved this back in the day.

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
Check out this guy on youtube

Thor High Heels

He's got a couple of "japan only ps1 games" that are really worth the watch, also he's funny and has a thing for y2k aesthetics, honestly love his channel

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Have you tried Racing Lagoon?
Racing JRPG from Square, unfortunately no fantranslation.

Racing Lagoon – Hardcore Gaming 101

I also second Boku No Natsuyasumi.

You should also check out ThorHighHeels' yt channel, he has made several videos about Japan-exclusive PS1 games:
www.youtube.com

ThorHighHeels

Even the worst games can still have some cool stuff in them worth talking about. Not to mention the good ones. Video games. Please subscringe.
In general everyone should sub to Thor, he is the ultimate mad game mad lad . His epic take on the take on kojima and metal gear alone makes his channel GOAT.
And yeah he deserves his fan-tran of racing lagoon!

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Btw, if you're looking at ps1 and PSP essentials I recommend playing the original persona trilogy of revelations (just persona on PSP) and innocent sin followed by eternal punishment. The English translation of punishment always to only be on psx so far.