• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Via the Japan Times:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...rial-killer-gets-death-sentence/#.WgIVeHZryUk

KYOTO – A serial killer dubbed the "black widow" was handed a death sentence Tuesday over the murders of her husband and two common-law partners, as well as the attempted murder of an acquaintance, between 2007 and 2013.

The ruling by the Kyoto District Court came despite a not guilty plea by the defense counsel of Chisako Kakehi, 70, citing a lack of physical evidence. The defense had also argued that Kakehi could not be held responsible as she had developed symptoms of early-onset dementia at the time of the murders.
"It was a heinous crime driven by greed for money. The death sentence cannot be avoided even after fully taking into account dementia and other factors," presiding Judge Ayako Nakagawa said in the ruling.

According to the ruling, Kakehi murdered her 75-year-old husband, Isao, common-law partners Masanori Honda, 71, and Minoru Hioki, 75, and tried to kill acquaintance Toshiaki Suehiro, 79, by having them drink cyanide.
First diagnosed with mild dementia in 2016, Kakehi said she had trouble remembering events shortly after her arrest. The doctor who made the diagnosis, however, said Kekehi could be held legally responsible for any crimes committed during that time.

The defense also claimed that there was a possibility some of the victims had died from disease or by different drugs or poisons, noting that some of the victims had not undergone legal autopsies.
The trial was held under the nation's lay judge system, which involves citizen judges. Having opened in June, it was the second-longest of its kind, with 135 days spent examining the case.

More than 500 people lined up in front of the courthouse to get a ticket to observe the hearing.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"noting that some of the victims had not undergone legal autopsies"

Seems kinda lax for a capital offense.

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of this article about the execution chambers: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/28/world/asia/28tokyo.html

99% conviction rate in Japan supposedly due to forced confessions.

28tokyo-cnd-articleLarge.jpg

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I played enough Persona 5 to know that Japan's criminal justice system is dubious at best

It seems remarkably cruel to hang an old woman who doesn't even understand what is going on

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The most surprising thing to me about this article is that apparently Japan still executes all of their death row inmates by hanging? I mean I've heard horror stories about the lethal injections in the US but hanging seems particularly barbaric?

Deleted member 11501

Permanently banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
At her age, just throw her in jail, she will die of old age and live the rest of her life behind 4 walls. Death is the easy way out if you ask me

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't aware that Japan had the death penalty. Sounds like she's getting a just sentence for the harm she caused.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Wow didnt know death penalty by hanging still exists in a advanced country.

While i feel no sympathy for the person, such barbaric ways as a death sentence shouldnt exist anymore.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Wow didnt know death penalty by hanging still exists in a advanced country.

While i feel no sympathy for the person, such barbaric ways as a death sentence shouldnt exist anymore.
I think the opposite - look at how the US has handled its death sentencing. Our system is so messed up that you get sentenced to death and it ends up taking years and years, and on top of that the lethal injection they try to use is not easily acquirable (and expensive). Death by hanging is simple, maybe barbaric, but it will certainly do the deed without further complication.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
At her age, just throw her in jail, she will die of old age and live the rest of her life behind 4 walls. Death is the easy way out if you ask me
Not really supporting the death penalty one way or the other, but she's a Japanese woman. She could still be living another 30+ years easily.