• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Slickdeals alert set, but as someone on the east coast of the US, I've never seen it flag a deal directly applicable to me. ZipAir does seem to have the best deals but it only leaves from west coast locations.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017

No, it's what tiebreaker posted. It's not crunchy. If I could figure out what sauce they use, or make it, I could of course supply my own garlic cloves :-)

Ah, gotcha. I've never tasted that but I Googled real quick and found this, if this is helpful....

macaro-ni.jp

家でもココイチ。やみつき「旨辛にんにく風」再現レシピ - macaroni

ココイチ風旨辛にんにくの再現レシピを紹介します。クセになる味わいのココイチの旨辛にんにくは、無性に食べたくなりますよね。にんにくとラー油のスタミナトッピングはどの料理とも相性バツグン。紹介するレシピは家にある材料で気軽に再現できますよ。家で再現するコツとポイントも要チェックです。

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, gotcha. I've never tasted that but I Googled real quick and found this, if this is helpful....

macaro-ni.jp

家でもココイチ。やみつき「旨辛にんにく風」再現レシピ - macaroni

ココイチ風旨辛にんにくの再現レシピを紹介します。クセになる味わいのココイチの旨辛にんにくは、無性に食べたくなりますよね。にんにくとラー油のスタミナトッピングはどの料理とも相性バツグン。紹介するレシピは家にある材料で気軽に再現できますよ。家で再現するコツとポイントも要チェックです。
Awesome!

Apparently the simple approach is to just fry the garlic and then do a 1:2 ratio of yakiniku sauce to chili oil. If you want to make it yourself properly, you need:
  • 6 cloves of garlic
  • Cooking oil enough to cover said garlic
  • 2tbsp chili oil
  • 1tsp sesame oil
  • 1tsp soy sauce
  • 1tsp sweet sake
  • 1tsp grated garlic
  • 1/2tsp sugar
You fry the garlic in the cooking oil at medium heat for 30sec, then low heat for 1min; drain the oil and then simmer with the sauce ingredients over medium heat until the sauce has thickened.

They mention that you can keep it for a week in the fridge. Oil and garlic together can be a recipe for botulism if not prepared exactly right, so I wouldn't chance it longer than that anyhow :-).

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Just came back from 3 weeks in Tokyo and it was great as usual. Lots of waiting in line for my food but was expected. My high end sushi and tempura were underwhelming but still positive overall. Lowest rated meals would still be considered good.

The only shop I will make a comment on is Kagari (ramen) in Ginza. Extremely overpriced if you order the tokusei (all toppings) which included a bunch of veggies that didnt add anything to the ramen. Lot of tourists so maybe that plays a part. Its still good tori paitan but I would recommend only going there if youre in the area. Tori no Ana is a much better alternative for tori paitan,.

Last edited:

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Currently in GoGo right now and it's pretty good. Not the best one I've tried during this long trip right now but pretty good. Pretty different from Coco so I can't really compare the two.

My favourite one is some location in Korea called Oretachi that apparently has a location Osaka. Really solid curry but heard the Japan and Osaka location are pretty different in taste (like Coco in Korea vs Coco in Japan). Their Katsu is just aight though

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I've thrown together a basic itinerary for a potential solo trip next year.

Outside of visiting Hiroshima for a couple of days and doing the bulk of Tokyo in the second half of the trip instead of the first, the itinerary doesn't actually differ too much from my first trip with my mate. There's so much I want to see again at my own pace whilst also getting "lost" and discovering new things that it made sense to keep it similar.

I'm also contemplating going to South Korea this year as well, but it's probably foolish (?!) since I only have just over a week of annual leave left... 😂

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
How are those days counted? Do they reset in January or are they counted from the day of your arrival date?

From the day of your arrival. It's up to whatever immigration officer you get at that point if you're allowed in, get a bunch of extra questions before getting in, or if they don't allow you in at all. If you stay more than 183 days total though, then you might also get some issues with taxes and/or pensions if you got a job. You have to check the rules for both the country you're from and Japan.

Personally, I think once you've done all the temple stuff, Kyoto's kind of boring and sleepy except for one or two areas. Could be I just didn't discover all the fun stuff though.

It's pretty much dead at night, unlike Osaka yeah.

Jigokudani Monkey Park. Is it even worth it going in march? I would love to see the monkeys, but not sure if they are still much visible in that time.

Probably too late to reply now, but yeah. They're there most of the year, only some weeks to avoid is during mating season around October/November.

Didn't see a response. From the link below, looks like the scenario wouldn't be a total loss, no catastrophe. I could just get on the next train, without a reserved seat.

https://jw-webmagazine.com/what-to-do-if-you-miss-the-shinkansen/

Hoping someone here can confirm as well.

Some of the information on that page is misleading or incorrect, but for your specific case it should be fine to get on the next train and sit in an unreserved seat.

My daughter really, really wants to get a kimono in Japan... any thoughts on where to get a 7-year old a nice kimono?

Like a proper expensive kimono or tourist stuff?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Tourist taxes coming everywhere :P

At the March 1 start of the Koya town assembly session, [Mayor Yoshiya] Hirano said he would contemplate charging visitors a special tax from fiscal 2028.

He said discussions would begin with central government officials as well as other interested parties regarding who to target for the new entrance fee and how to collect it.

Revenues from the new tax would go to pay to maintain and repair roads and public toilets in Mount Koyasan, support rescue work and improve the environment around the temple complex.

The Osaka prefectural government is considering imposing a levy on foreign tourists to finance measures against overtourism and related expenses, Governor Hirofumi Yoshimura said on March 6.

The governor emphasized the need to combat overcrowding and to implement more beautification projects throughout the prefecture since tourism demand has recovered with the COVID-19 pandemic subsiding.

To cover these expenses, Yoshimura said a levy system separate from an accommodation tax already in place should be introduced targeting inbound tourism. The prefectural government is aiming to begin collecting the tax in April 2025, when the Osaka Kansai Expo opens.

The city government [in Urayasu] has announced it will start considering concrete plans to introduce a lodging tax for guests staying overnight in the city, home to the Tokyo Disney Resort. There are many hotels in the city, particularly around Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea.

"I think it will take at least one year to introduce (the tax)," said Urayasu Mayor Etsushi Uchida.

The municipality intends to use revenues from the tax to improve tourism-related infrastructure. Infrastructure improvements are required for the area surrounding JR Maihama Station, the gateway to the Disney parks, while emergency services for guests also need to be updated.

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
I decided last week to do an impromptu trip / holiday to Japan for three weeks, from next week...yes, quite expensive leaving it that late to book (certain things unexpectedly fell into place), especially from the UK. This will be the second time I've been, visited for a few weeks back in early 2019 also.

I'm travelling and doing this trip by oneself this time, and I'm arriving in Tokyo the evening of Tuesday 19th March.

If anyone is in Tokyo, or Japan in general, and also doing the self-travel thing, and wants to hit up some retro or video game shops, grab a beer and eats etc, then I'm around in Tokyo from Wednesday 20th - Saturday 23rd.

Also going to be in Nagoya from Thursday 4th April - Sunday 7th April (travelling home the following day), for the Japanese F1 Grand Prix, so if anyone is planning on attending that then feel free to ping me.

Last edited:

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
From the day of your arrival. It's up to whatever immigration officer you get at that point if you're allowed in, get a bunch of extra questions before getting in, or if they don't allow you in at all. If you stay more than 183 days total though, then you might also get some issues with taxes and/or pensions if you got a job. You have to check the rules for both the country you're from and Japan.

It's pretty much dead at night, unlike Osaka yeah.

Probably too late to reply now, but yeah. They're there most of the year, only some weeks to avoid is during mating season around October/November.

Some of the information on that page is misleading or incorrect, but for your specific case it should be fine to get on the next train and sit in an unreserved seat.

Like a proper expensive kimono or tourist stuff?

Either. Just wanna see options ya know

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
We're flying in and out of Tokyo for our 3 week trip. We're staying in Shinjuku for our first 4-day stint, but we'll be back for 2 nights before we fly out and are looking to stay in a different area. Still relatively convenient to airport, but maybe different vibe. After looking, I was leaning Asakusa or Ueno, but does anyone have any thoughts?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Either will be fine since theyre next to each other. If its your first time, probably Asakusa. You can beat the horde when visiting Sensoji and Nakmise street. Then walk over to Ueno and check out Ameyoko.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
mainichi.jp

Cherry blossoms forecast to flower in Tokyo from March 21, peak 1 week later - The Mainichi

Click here to read this in easy English TOKYO -- Cherry blossoms in central Tokyo are expected to bloom from March 21 and reach their peak a week late

Cherry blossoms in central Tokyo are expected to bloom from March 21 and reach their peak a week later, according to the latest forecast by the Japan Weather Association (JWA). It also predicts the flowers will bloom earlier than the average date of March 24.

Cherry blossoms are also expected to flower on March 20 in Nagoya and Fukuoka, with the flowers at their best on March 29 and 30, respectively. The forecast also expects the flowers to blossom on March 23 in Osaka, with a March 31 full bloom, and to bud on March 31 in Sendai, with the blossoms peaking on April 3. In each case, bloom dates fall earlier than or around the average.

www.jwa.or.jp

Cherry Blossom and Full Bloom Forecast for 2024 (Part 2) <br>Blossoming earlier than usual in northern and eastern Japan with Tokyo Expected to start on the 21st | EN-NEWS | Japan Weather Association

This is the official website of Japan Weather Association (JWA). Introducing our business which is used in various industries.
Cherry-Blossom-forecast-March13.png

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
mainichi.jp

Cherry blossoms forecast to flower in Tokyo from March 21, peak 1 week later - The Mainichi

Click here to read this in easy English TOKYO -- Cherry blossoms in central Tokyo are expected to bloom from March 21 and reach their peak a week late

www.jwa.or.jp

Cherry Blossom and Full Bloom Forecast for 2024 (Part 2) <br>Blossoming earlier than usual in northern and eastern Japan with Tokyo Expected to start on the 21st | EN-NEWS | Japan Weather Association

This is the official website of Japan Weather Association (JWA). Introducing our business which is used in various industries.

I realize we're a bit past peak but if I'm in Tokyo and Kyoto areas from April 3-12 will it still be noticeable?

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I realize we're a bit past peak but if I'm in Tokyo and Kyoto areas from April 3-12 will it still be noticeable?

Depends on how windy and rainy it is :p

Should most likely be ok in the first half of that period though, second half is more iffy.

But as always, there's other types of sakura trees than Somei Yoshino, and if you go to one of the big parks you'll probably at least have a couple of another type that blooms later on.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Remember to be careful when crossing the streets in Japan :p

mainichi.jp

55% of car drivers in Japan don't stop for pedestrians at crosswalks: survey - The Mainichi

TOKYO -- Over 50% of car drivers in Japan do not stop for pedestrians at crosswalks, and Niigata Prefecture ranked the worst by prefecture, according

Over 50% of car drivers in Japan do not stop for pedestrians at crosswalks, and Niigata Prefecture ranked the worst by prefecture, according to a survey by the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF).

JAF has conducted a nationwide survey of pedestrian crossings since 2016, and the 2023 study was conducted in August and September at a total of 94 locations in 47 prefectures.

JAF employees investigated the reactions of vehicles as they attempted to cross a crosswalk with no traffic signals installed on a weekday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. on a road with one lane in each direction.Of a total of 7,087 vehicles, only 3,193, or 45.1%, of drivers stopped.

While there is a traffic rule that requires cars to stop before going through a crosswalk if a pedestrian or bicyclist is about to cross, whether this is followed varies widely from region to region. The lowest stop rate by prefecture was 23.2% in Niigata, followed by 26.2% in Saga, 26.7% in Osaka and Fukui, respectively, and 27.6% in Ibaraki. On the other hand, Nagano had the highest stop rate at 84.4%, followed by Ishikawa at 76.4% and Tochigi at 74.8%.

The national average for such stop rates was only 7.6% in 2016, when the survey began. The number of vehicles obeying traffic rules has been increasing every year, and the 2023 result was 5.3 percentage points higher than the previous year (39.8%), but more than half of the vehicles still pass through without stopping.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how windy and rainy it is :p

Should most likely be ok in the first half of that period though, second half is more iffy.

But as always, there's other types of sakura trees than Somei Yoshino, and if you go to one of the big parks you'll probably at least have a couple of another type that blooms later on.
Last year we visited the Hamarikyu gardens in Tokyo on April 5th. They don't have an overwhelming volume of cherry trees, but the ones they have are later-blooming variants that have some really gorgeous and interesting blossoms, like these tiger tail cherry blossoms:

vMkqcGk.jpeg

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the somei yoshino cherries were pretty thoroughly done by April 5th in Tokyo last year, but hopefully will still be there in some capacity this year. We got to see plenty of them in Kyoto, at least - we nailed the peak there. Just wanted to provide an example of what someone might see if they came along a little later. We also saw plenty of blossoms still going strong in Nikko right up to the tail end of our trip a few days later.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
mainichi.jp

www.jwa.or.jp

I'm arriving in the afternoon on the 22nd in Tokyo, so we managed to pick the right date 6 months ago when we booked. Hope the weather will be nice for that week as well.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm arriving in the afternoon on the 22nd in Tokyo, so we managed to pick the right date 6 months ago when we booked. Hope the weather will be nice for that week as well.

Remember that 21st is the starting to bloom date, but I guess you'll be there on the 28th anyway when it's supposed to be full bloom if the forecast is correct.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that 21st is the starting to bloom date, but I guess you'll be there on the 28th anyway when it's supposed to be full bloom if the forecast is correct.

Yeah, we'll be there for a month. So now we are just going to decide on what spots to visit during that first week.

Can't believe has been 5 years since I was in Japan, we were supposed to go back in 2020 but had to put those plans on hold for a few years. :P
We want to visit other countries as well in both Asia and here in Europe, but as the thread name says "we have to go back".

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Conveyor belts disappearing from conveyor belt sushi restaurants

Conveyor-belt sushi chains are facing an existential crisis.

Although the automated, rotating serving system has been on a decreasing trend for several years, chain operators were confronted with a tough decision in 2023 following the COVID-19 pandemic and a spate of malicious pranks by attention-seeking customers.

Choushimaru Co. operates about 80 Sushi Choushimaru outlets in the Tokyo metropolitan area. But its renovated outlet in Nerima Ward that opened in October last year contains no conveyor belts.

Looking around the interior of the Tokyo outlet with no conveyor belts, the official added, "I'm not sure whether there should be a genre for rotating sushi."

In spring last year, Choushimaru said through its social media account that it would move away from conveyor-belt sushi. It subsequently decided to stop serving dishes on rotating belts at all outlets in phases.

Operators of the Hama-Sushi and Kappa Sushi chains quickly changed their serving systems to deliver plates specifically ordered by customers on a straight-line conveyor belt.

In recent years, the sushi chains have allowed customers to order freshly prepared sushi using touch panels and other devices. Thanks to the increasingly mechanized systems, sushi chain operators can handle many customers without putting dishes on the rotating belt, thus reducing food waste.

The COVID-19 pandemic made consumers more wary about germs spreading on exposed food.

Among the five major conveyor-belt sushi chain operators, Kura Sushi Inc. is now the only one that still serves dishes on the rotating belt, including those not ordered by customers.

The company has been using antibacterial covers to protect the sushi plates from dust and saliva droplets.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've personally always preferred the straight-line conveyor belt system.

I randomly thought about going to Japan near the end of the year. Flight tickets are so expensive right now, unfortunately, but if I somehow get YOASOBI tickets for their Tokyo show, I've gotta go.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
When I just want a decent meal without too much fuss, the order-to-your-table model does seem better. But I'll miss the circular-belt ones if they ever disappear completely; I remember going to what seemed like an older-school one on my first trip and it had a communal vibe you just don't get from the other places. Wish I could remember where it was, I can't even recall if it was in Kyoto or Osaka (or possibly even Tokyo!).

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I actually havent had kaiten zushi the last couple trips, including the most recent one. Just not enough time but to be honest, I only tried it a few times way back around 2010 and I wont miss it. I highly prefer my orders to be sent directly to me.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
english.kyodonews.net

Visitors to Japan surge in February as post-pandemic rebound continues

The number of foreign visitors to Japan rose 89.0 percent in February from a year earlier to about 2.79 million as it continued to rebound from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, government data show, although visitors from mainland China only showed a limited recovery.

The number of foreign visitors to Japan rose 89.0 percent in February from a year earlier to about 2.79 million as it continued to rebound from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, government data showed Tuesday, although visitors from mainland China only showed a limited recovery.

The figure represents a 7.1 percent rise from the same month in 2019 when there was no impact from the pandemic, according to the Japan National Tourism Organization.

The largest number of travelers came from South Korea at 818,500, up 14.3 percent from pre-pandemic levels, followed by those from Taiwan at 502,200, up 25.6 percent.

Mainland China placed third with 459,400 visitors, down 36.5 percent, despite having observed the week-long Lunar New Year holiday last month. Even compared with January, the result only marked a slight increase as the number of flights from the country to Japan has yet to fully restart after the pandemic.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
[

What attractions do you want to go to?

Teamlabs can just be booked any time in advance and should be booked now if you want to go. The Ghibli Museum is hairy, you will have to be up at an odd hour and ready to claim your tickets on a very crash prone website. (If your whole visit is March, be ready for the tickets to drop on Feb 10am 10th JST, which is evening on the 9th in most of the US.) I think the Kirby Cafe is another popular one that drops at a specific time, and there are certain historical sites associated with the Imperial Household Agency that need advance booking (Katsura Villas and Sento Imperial Palace in Kyoto, notably).

For public transit, you want Suica cards or similar if you can get them. If you have iPhone(s) you can set up a virtual card right on your phone. Shinkansen can usually be reserved shortly in advance of the actual ride.

This post was on my mind - I felt guilty for never responding. But I've been incredibly busy. I am finally going to Japan tomorrow. Below is what our plans looks like. Note, my guess is we are too jam-packed, so we are expecting we will shed a lot of the plans below as each day progresses.

High level itinerary:

- [ ] Day 1: Flying to Tokyo
- [ ] Days 2-6: Tokyo
- [ ] Days 7-9 Kyoto
- [ ] Day 10: Hiroshima
- [ ] Day 11: Miyajima Island
- [ ] Days 12-13: Osaka
- [ ] Day 14: Nara, and then Tokyo
- [ ] Day 15: Fly back home from Tokyo

Detailed itinerary:

Tokyo days:

Day 2:

No specific plans for this day - just eat Japanese food and relax at the hotel.

Day 3:

"Bunkyo City: Since we are skipping a day trip to Mount Fuji, walk to Bunkyo Civic Centre, and go to the observation deck for free for a chance to see Mount Fuji. Make this visit once each morning from Days #3 to #6 in Tokyo, until you are successful (some days might be cloudy, so may have to make repeated trips before we can see Mount Fuji).

Taito (morning): Sumida Park

Asakusa (morning and afternoon):
-Old Tokyo free roam
-Senso-ji temple (must visit before 5pm)
-Nakamise-dori street

Taito (late afternoon or early evening): Ueno Park

Akihabara Neighbourhood (evening):
-Electric town free roam
-Visit any maid cafe
-Visit anime shops
-GiGO Gaming Arcade
-Super Potato (closes 8pm)"

Day 4:

9:00am JST - 12:00pm JST: teamLab Planets (museum in Minato City)

"Minato City and Odaiba (afternoon and early evening, after finishing with teamLabs excursion):
-Zojo-ji temple (must visit before 5:30pm)
-Shiba Park
-Tokyo Tower (must purchase ticket)
-Odaiba Seaside Park

Koto City (evening): The Gundam Base Tokyo (must visit before 9:30pm)"

Day 5:

"Shinjuku (early morning): Gyoen National Garden (must visit early, so we don't miss booked 10:40am Shibuya Sky tickets)

Shibuya (morning and early afternoon):
-Shibuya Sky (must arrive by 10:40am for booked tickets)
-Shibuya Scramble
-Center Gai
-NOTE!!! Consider heading to Harajuku a little early if we risk missing out on Meiji-jingu temple, which closes at 5:20pm!!!

Harajuku (late afternoon and evening):
-Meiji-jingu temple (must visit before 5:20pm)
-Takeshita Street
-Purikura photo booth
-A Happy Pancake (for fluffy pancakes - closes at 7:30pm)"

Day 6:

"Chiyoda (early morning): Imperial Palace Garden (ust visit before 11:15am)

Chuo (late morning):
-Tsukiji Fish Market (must visit before 2pm)
-The Ginza
-Visit Uniqlo nearby The Ginza

Rest of afternoon and early evening: Free roam!!!

Shinjuku (late evening): Tokyo Metropoliton Government Buildiing (must visit before 10:30pm)

(Big maybe - time permitting!!!): Toshima: Pokemon Mega Center

Note: Remember that we have a 6:33am Shinkansen train to Kyoto the next morning - so if we need to rest, we can push Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building to Day #14 in Tokyo, and we can cancel Toshima's Pokemon Mega Center (since we might visit a Pokemon store in Osaka)."

Kyoto days:

Day 7:

"Kyoto (start of day):
-Kyoto Station
-Kyoto Tower
-Nishiki Market
-Kichi Kichi Rice
-Heian-Jingu Shrine (100 year old shrine) 10 min walk from Higashiyama station

Kyoto's Gion District (afternoon and evening):
-Traditional Japanese homes and Geishas
-Gion Shinbashi Bridge
-Shirakawa Lane
-Tatsumi Bridge
-Shirakawa River
-Hanamikoji Street

Kyoto (evening):
-Shijo-ohashi Bridge - sunsets
-Shijo-Dori Street - long street"

Day 8:

"Kyoto Shrines:
-Fushimi-Inari Taisha Shrine (10,000 torii gates)
-Kiyomizu-dera (nestled on the hills)
-Sannenzaka and Ninezaka - quaint alleys with traditional homes
-Hokan-Ji Temple (6-story pagoda from 6th century)
-Yasaka Shrine - visit at night to see the lanterns
-Rengeo-in (Sanjusangen-do) Temple - MAYBE"

Day 9:

"Kyoto travelling around:
-Kinkaku-Ji Temple (covered in gold leaf, 35-40 min bus ride from Kyoto Station)
-Kyoto Imperial Palace (underwhelming but free)
-Arashiyama - Bamboo Forest
-Philosopher's walk"

Hiroshima days:

Day 10:

"Hiroshima (morning):
-Peace Memorial Park/ Arch - free open 24/7
-Children's Peace Monument
-Atomic Dome

Hiroshima (afternoon and evening):
-Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum - $1.82 open until 7
-Hiroshima Gokuku Shrine - closes at 4:30pm
-Hiroshima Castle - $3.36 open until 6pm
-Hondori Shopping Street"

Day 11:

"Miyajima Island:
-Itsukushima Jinja (shinto shrine in water) - $2.72
-Hokokujinja Senjokaku Pavilion - Shinto shrine $2.72
-Daigan-ji - Buddhist temple
-Daishoin - Buddhist Temple
-Mani-den - Buddhist Temple
-Henjo Cave
-Miyajima Omotesando Shopping Street"

"??:??: Ferry to Hiroshima

Hiroshima (evening):
-Night-time attractions
-Relax and/or visit some Hiroshima attractions we missed on Day #10."

Osaka days:

Day 12:

"Osaka (afternoon and early evening):
-Hozen ji
-Namba yasaka Shrine
-Namba Shrine
-Shinasaibashi-Suji Street - shop for budget travellers
-Umeda Sky Building Garden - free admission until 4pm with pass
-Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine"

8:00pm-11:00pm JST: Osaka Local Bar & Izakaya Crawl (via Airbnb)

Day 13:

"Osaka (throughout the day):
-Shop at Osaka Station - Pokemon and Mugiwara store
-Shinsekai and Tsutenkaku Tower
-Japanese Garden
-Hozen Yokocho
-Umeda Sky for sunset views
-Umeda Sky Building Garden - free admission until 4pm with pass and 30% off after"

Day 14, which consists of Nara and Tokyo:

"Nara (early morning to very early afternoon):
-JR Nara Station
-1 min walk to Higashimuku Shopping Street
-2 min walk to Nakatanidou
-2 min walk to Kofuku-Ji Pagoda
-few min walk to Nara Park
-few min walk to Todai-Ji Temple"

"??:??: Travel back to Osaka (regular subway? bullet train?)

3:00pm: Bullet train to Tokyo

5:27pm: Arrive in Tokyo

"Shinjuku night life (evening):
-Godzilla head
-Giant 3D Cat Cafe
-Omoido Yokocho (Memory Lane)
-Kabukicho Tower
-Golden Gai
-(In case we didn't have a chance to visit it on Day #6 in Tokyo): Tokyo Metropoliton Government Buildiing (must visit before 10:30pm)
"

Then final day: Day 15: Fly back home

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
This post was on my mind - I felt guilty for never responding. But I've been incredibly busy. I am finally going to Japan tomorrow. Below is what our plans looks like. Note, my guess is we are too jam-packed, so we are expecting we will shed a lot of the plans below as each day progresses.

High level itinerary:

- [ ] Days 7-9 Kyoto

Detailed itinerary:

Tokyo days:

Day 2:

Day 3:

"Bunkyo City: Since we are skipping a day trip to Mount Fuji, walk to Bunkyo Civic Centre, and go to the observation deck for free for a chance to see Mount Fuji. Make this visit once each morning from Days #3 to #6 in Tokyo, until you are successful (some days might be cloudy, so may have to make repeated trips before we can see Mount Fuji).

-Old Tokyo free roam
-Nakamise-dori street

-Electric town free roam
-Visit any maid cafe
-Visit anime shops
-GiGO Gaming Arcade

Day 4:

"Minato City and Odaiba (afternoon and early evening, after finishing with teamLabs excursion):
-Shiba Park
-Odaiba Seaside Park

Day 5:

"Shinjuku (early morning): Gyoen National Garden (must visit early, so we don't miss booked 10:40am Shibuya Sky tickets)

-Shibuya Scramble
-Center Gai
-NOTE!!! Consider heading to Harajuku a little early if we risk missing out on Meiji-jingu temple, which closes at 5:20pm!!!

-Takeshita Street
-Purikura photo booth

Day 6:

Chuo (late morning):
-The Ginza

Shinjuku (late evening): Tokyo Metropoliton Government Buildiing (must visit before 10:30pm)

Note: Remember that we have a 6:33am Shinkansen train to Kyoto the next morning - so if we need to rest, we can push Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building to Day #14 in Tokyo, and we can cancel Toshima's Pokemon Mega Center (since we might visit a Pokemon store in Osaka)."

Kyoto days:

Day 7:

"Kyoto (start of day):
-Kyoto Station
-Kyoto Tower
-Nishiki Market
-Kichi Kichi Rice

-Gion Shinbashi Bridge
-Shirakawa Lane
-Tatsumi Bridge
-Shirakawa River
-Hanamikoji Street

Kyoto (evening):

Day 8:

"Kyoto Shrines:

Day 9:

-Kinkaku-Ji Temple (covered in gold leaf, 35-40 min bus ride from Kyoto Station)
-Philosopher's walk"

Hiroshima days:

Day 10:

"Hiroshima (morning):
-Atomic Dome

Day 11:

"Miyajima Island:
-Henjo Cave

Hiroshima (evening):
-Night-time attractions

Osaka days:

Day 12:

-Hozen ji
-Namba yasaka Shrine
-Namba Shrine

Day 13:

-Japanese Garden
-Hozen Yokocho
-Umeda Sky Building Garden - free admission until 4pm with pass and 30% off after"

-JR Nara Station

-Godzilla head
-Giant 3D Cat Cafe
-Kabukicho Tower
-Golden Gai
-(In case we didn't have a chance to visit it on Day #6 in Tokyo): Tokyo Metropoliton Government Buildiing (must visit before 10:30pm)
"

If you're going to Super Potato and looking to buy, I'd recommend also going to Surugaya Akihabara Game Museum and next door to that BEEP Akihabara, they're both very close to Super Potato. I get why people want to visit Super Potato, and they should at least once, but the prices are just insane. The second story of TRADERS is also great and nearby

Wouldn't Odaiba after teamLab Planets be a better flow? You're kind of on your way to Diver City by that point? Is it because of Zo-joji temple?

Last edited:

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017

High level itinerary:

- [ ] Days 7-9 Kyoto

Detailed itinerary:

Tokyo days:

Day 2:

Day 3:

-Old Tokyo free roam
-Nakamise-dori street

-Electric town free roam
-Visit any maid cafe
-Visit anime shops
-GiGO Gaming Arcade

Day 4:

-Shiba Park
-Odaiba Seaside Park

Day 5:

-Shibuya Scramble
-Center Gai

-Takeshita Street
-Purikura photo booth

Day 6:

Chuo (late morning):
-The Ginza

Kyoto days:

Day 7:

"Kyoto (start of day):
-Kyoto Station
-Kyoto Tower
-Nishiki Market
-Kichi Kichi Rice

-Gion Shinbashi Bridge
-Shirakawa Lane
-Tatsumi Bridge
-Shirakawa River
-Hanamikoji Street

Kyoto (evening):

Day 8:

"Kyoto Shrines:

Day 9:

-Philosopher's walk"

Hiroshima days:

Day 10:

"Hiroshima (morning):
-Atomic Dome

Day 11:

"Miyajima Island:
-Henjo Cave

Hiroshima (evening):
-Night-time attractions

Osaka days:

Day 12:

-Hozen ji
-Namba yasaka Shrine
-Namba Shrine

Day 13:

-Japanese Garden
-Hozen Yokocho

-JR Nara Station

-Godzilla head
-Giant 3D Cat Cafe
-Kabukicho Tower
-Golden Gai
"

Assorted thoughts:
  • In Kyoto, Kiyomizu-dera is right next to the Gion district. You have that broken up over days 7 and 8, but maybe just move that + Sannenzaka / Ninenzaka to day 7?
  • You could do Fushimi Inari and Nara in the same day on Day 8, then, which frees up Day 14 for perhaps more Tokyo things? Also, I keep hearing that starting Fushimi Inari from the bamboo forest entrance is great and might give a better experience than the Arashiyama bamboo forest, but did not do this myself.
  • On Day 9, I'd recommend starting the day at Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavilion) and walking the Philosopher's Path down to Nanzen-ji. The cherry blossoms are gorgeous and if you get there early it hopefully won't be too crowded. Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion) is a lot of work for a 15 minute photo op, honestly, but if you have your heart set on it maybe just take a taxi since it is otherwise out of the way. Arashiyama is fun but note that it's on completely the other side of town from this, and the bamboo forest is infamously crowded. I liked the monkey park in Arashiyama a lot, also.
  • Seconding Construct that BEEP is great fun in Akihabara for retrogaming.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Assorted thoughts:
  • In Kyoto, Kiyomizu-dera is right next to the Gion district. You have that broken up over days 7 and 8, but maybe just move that + Sannenzaka / Ninenzaka to day 7?
  • You could do Fushimi Inari and Nara in the same day on Day 8, then, which frees up Day 14 for perhaps more Tokyo things? Also, I keep hearing that starting Fushimi Inari from the bamboo forest entrance is great and might give a better experience than the Arashiyama bamboo forest, but did not do this myself.
  • On Day 9, I'd recommend starting the day at Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavilion) and walking the Philosopher's Path down to Nanzen-ji. The cherry blossoms are gorgeous and if you get there early it hopefully won't be too crowded. Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion) is a lot of work for a 15 minute photo op, honestly, but if you have your heart set on it maybe just take a taxi since it is otherwise out of the way. Arashiyama is fun but note that it's on completely the other side of town from this, and the bamboo forest is infamously crowded. I liked the monkey park in Arashiyama a lot, also.
  • Seconding Construct that BEEP is great fun in Akihabara for retrogaming.

Thanks for this advice. Our Osaka to Tokyo bullet train ticket from Klook on Day 14 is booked for 3pm. I know I can take a later bullet train without penalty. Is it possible to take the train earlier? I really hope so!!!!

Edit: Talking to Klook support to see if this will be possible.

My wife and I really like your Kyoto ideas, hyouko . If we're allowed to take an earlier bullet train from Osaka to Tokyo on Day #14, then we can move Nara to Day 8 as you suggest, and head to Tokyo way earlier on Day #14. And construct , we added your Akihabara suggestions as "maybes" to our Day 3 itinerary (since that day is already a bit busy).

Last edited:

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017

High level itinerary:

- [ ] Days 7-9 Kyoto

It seems mostly good to me. Has more observation decks than I would do, but if you enjoy them then go for it.

Day 3: I'm not sure about your chances of seeing Fuji from Tokyo. At a glance, the weather forecast doesn't look too great, but I assume the Civic Center is very close to your hotel so you're not wasting too much time getting there.

The rest of the day would be very busy for me, but it depends on how much you want to do in Ueno and Akiba, since you definitely won't have time to fully explore both areas. Shopping on your first day also means you'll have to keep the things you bought with you for the entire trip, which can be a hassle if you go on a large shopping spree.

Day 5: Shinjuku Gyoen opens at 9am, and it's about 20 minutes from there to Shibuya by Google Maps. I'd say you'll probably have an hour at the garden before you need to leave for Shibuya.

Day 6: You go back to Shinjuku for the Metropolitan building. Consider if it makes more sense to put Shinjuku Garden here after you're done with the Uniqlo in Ginza. Personally, I like Shinjuku much more than Ginza for random walking around and exploring.

Day 7: If you're at Shijo-ohashi for sunset, Yasaka shrine is right next to you. I would move it here instead of doing it on day 8.

Day 13: You don't have a ton of stuff planned here unless you're going to spend a ton of time in Shinsekai. On the other hand day 14 can easily be made into a full-day itinerary. I would think about moving Umeda Sky to day 12 before the bar-crawl, and then swapping day 13 with day 14 so you get a full day in Nara. Otherwise, Denden Town is between Shinsekai and Hozenji if you want more anime shopping.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
High level itinerary:

- [ ] Days 7-9 Kyoto

From my experience on my first trip, we stayed for 16 days and went to about the same amount of cities, it wasn't the best experience. While it was a great overall, all that travel time adds up and is quite exhausting. Things don't always line up like they should and trips can take much longer than expected.

I would say to pick a couple of things you want to do each day and then let your feet take you wherever. Just walking around to less popular areas can be an experience on its own, you always find some cool places.

If I were to do a similar trip again, I would visit like 3 cities and have one daytrip to Nara or whatever. I also would've booked my flight home from Osaka and gone to Nara when I first arrived in Tokyo to skip that trip from Osaka to Tokyo.

-----------------

Just 12 hours left until my journey starts, so excited to finally be going back!

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
From my experience on my first trip, we stayed for 16 days and went to about the same amount of cities, it wasn't the best experience. While it was a great overall, all that travel time adds up and is quite exhausting. Things don't always line up like they should and trips can take much longer than expected.

I would say to pick a couple of things you want to do each day and then let your feet take you wherever. Just walking around to less popular areas can be an experience on its own, you always find some cool places.

If I were to do a similar trip again, I would visit like 3 cities and have one daytrip to Nara or whatever. I also would've booked my flight home from Osaka and gone to Nara when I first arrived in Tokyo to skip that trip from Osaka to Tokyo.

-----------------

Just 12 hours left until my journey starts, so excited to finally be going back!

Have fun!!

2 more weeks until me and my daughter go!!! :D

Neutrality

Oct 29, 2017
Question, so with the chip shortage and not being able to get a suica/passmo what are my options for Android? I'm taking my mom and she has an iPhone so I can set that up for her but I would love to be able to just use my pixel. Does that not work?

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Man, adding that Suica Pass to iphone is really damn easy. We're going to be in Tokyo for about 4 days to start and moving around about as you'd expect, staying in Shinjuku. Is there a recommended amount to put on the pass to start?