hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Well...

www.bloomberg.com

Top Yen Forecaster Sees Currency Sliding to Lowest Since 1986

The yen may weaken to 165 per dollar despite potential efforts from Japan to halt its decline, according to the currency’s top forecaster.
If it does, I will probably just buy some more. Not currently putting too much in at any one time. Dollar cost averaging, yo!

(I am still probably going to lose money on this proposition, but so far it's a perfect wash)

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Any disadvantages of going last we of February/ first of March?
Might get a bit cold and might even snow a bit. Not many sunny days until the end.
I went this year at the very end of February and was there two weeks.

Edit: Also not many Cherry Blosoms, there will be Plum and Peach blossoms, and some early-blooming cherries, but most trees will be "bald".

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you planning on visiting? It may be on the cold side and you'll be too early for spring foliage (except maybe some plum blossoms?) but you will also probably beat the surge of tourists in late March/April.
Okinawa(not planning on swimming.) and around Tokyo area, so niiko, somewhere near mt Fuji, kamakura, etc.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Okinawa(not planning on swimming.) and around Tokyo area, so niiko, somewhere near mt Fuji, kamakura, etc.
Nikko was still on the chilly and empty side in early April last year, for what that's worth. you'd probably have the Toshogu Shrine all to yourself! but some stuff might not be operational outside of tourist season. I have been thinking that if I go back to Nikko I'd want it to be during the fall foliage season.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid question, should I just get my hotel room now (at least for the first two nights to get our bearings)? It's 2 months away, but still.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
My Instagram feed these days is almost completely dominated by sightseeing and luxury trains. With the rail pass being what it is now, it's a bit tempting to center our next trip around experiences like that.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Anyway, I've already booked another trip for the end of October. Going solo this time so I don't have to worry about anyone else, but a bit apprehensive about travelling alone for the first time.
Traveling Japan alone is the best, I've made so many long-term friends just from taking my time and meeting people at izakayas, bars and cafes, also just wandering around Tokyo or Kyoto at your leisure and taking in the vibes is peak, nothing else like it.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
My Instagram feed these days is almost completely dominated by sightseeing and luxury trains. With the rail pass being what it is now, it's a bit tempting to center our next trip around experiences like that.

Depending on the train (especially the luxury ones) it might not be a part of the JR Pass at all.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at things to do I still haven't done, would a trip to takayama/the Japanese Alps be worse than any other place in summer?

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Laid-Back Camp had a bunch of cool looking retro rural train routes in the last few episodes, but I believe I read that at least one of them is currently out of commission. The "mountain-climbing train" we took in Hakone was neat and they told us that in summer it's lined with beautiful geranium flowers.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
If this is something you're interested in doing more research on, NHK World has a few shows that feature tourist trains. Japan Railway Journal recently had an episode all about them (and many episodes will feature a tourist/sightseeing train after the main segment), and Train Cruise is their monthly show that's basically all about sightseeing via train:

www3.nhk.or.jp

Riding in Style: Exploring Japan's Tourist Trains - Japan Railway Journal | NHK WORLD-JAPAN

In 2023, Japan Railway Journal showcased 10 tourist trains running throughout the country. Join us as we examine the results of an online poll about these trains.
www3.nhk.or.jp

Train Cruise | NHK WORLD-JAPAN

Criss-cross Japan by rail. Enjoy an amazing diversity of nature and scenery across the four seasons, exploring both well-known and hidden Japan.

I've kind of thought about this too, though in my case I was thinking it might be a neat way to see Shikoku. Not because it has a lot of tourist trains (I think it actually doesn't, though there's at least one big one) but because there are a few JR lines down there that have extremely low ridership and/or stations out in the middle of nowhere (think places that get single-digit daily ridership--HOW) and I kind of want to see what it's like. And it's not like most foreign tourists find themselves in Shikoku unless they specifically set out to get there, as it's generally more accessible by car and there are no shinkansen lines that connect to or go through Shikoku, just one local line that connects to Kansai.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
If this is something you're interested in doing more research on, NHK World has a few shows that feature tourist trains. Japan Railway Journal recently had an episode all about them (and many episodes will feature a tourist/sightseeing train after the main segment), and Train Cruise is their monthly show that's basically all about sightseeing via train:

www3.nhk.or.jp

Riding in Style: Exploring Japan's Tourist Trains - Japan Railway Journal | NHK WORLD-JAPAN

In 2023, Japan Railway Journal showcased 10 tourist trains running throughout the country. Join us as we examine the results of an online poll about these trains.
www3.nhk.or.jp

Train Cruise | NHK WORLD-JAPAN

Criss-cross Japan by rail. Enjoy an amazing diversity of nature and scenery across the four seasons, exploring both well-known and hidden Japan.

I've kind of thought about this too, though in my case I was thinking it might be a neat way to see Shikoku. Not because it has a lot of tourist trains (I think it actually doesn't, though there's at least one big one) but because there are a few JR lines down there that have extremely low ridership and/or stations out in the middle of nowhere (think places that get single-digit daily ridership--HOW) and I kind of want to see what it's like. And it's not like most foreign tourists find themselves in Shikoku unless they specifically set out to get there, as it's generally more accessible by car and there are no shinkansen lines that connect to or go through Shikoku, just one local line that connects to Kansai.
Oh yeah, the latest one I sent to the hubby was a Hokkaido luxury train posted by NHK World.

We'll almost certainly do one that goes/comes from Oita since we usually go there anyway. I also really want to go on the Sunflower Murasaki overnight ferry that goes from Osaka to Beppu lol

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Man. The Nintendo Museum in Kyoto still hasn't opened. I saw a rumor that job postings point to a June 1st opening, maybe. If true, I might luck out :-/

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Question, when getting a data plan for a SIM card, doesn't turning on WiFi calling get around the issue of not having voice calling? I assume so, right?

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Ahh it'd be straight up disabled? Damn... Doesn't help that I also have a Pixel 8 Pro and apparently that phone has issues in Japan.

The best way to think about a Sim/esim is that it's just using data over 4G or whatever like at home, the difference being you have data only and not voice. A mobile hotspot however might be a different story since your phone is using Wifi to access the device if I'm not mistaken?

I should add that I did use Wifi calling from my hotel when I was in Japan in November, but specifically made sure I was on the hotel Wifi because I was super paranoid about getting charged out the ass for having to call and get my credit card unlocked because apparently the only way to do it was for me to call even though I was on the other side of the world.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
The best way to think about a Sim/esim is that it's just using data over 4G or whatever like at home, the difference being you have data only and not voice. A mobile hotspot however might be a different story since your phone is using Wifi to access the device if I'm not mistaken?

I should add that I did use Wifi calling from my hotel when I was in Japan in November, but specifically made sure I was on the hotel Wifi because I was super paranoid about getting charged out the ass for having to call and get my credit card unlocked because apparently the only way to do it was for me to call even though I was on the other side of the world.

Good to know. Thanks!

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I think the yen has stabilized at 153. It's expected that more intervention will follow and may hit 149 despite grim forecasts expecting for 160+.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would only work if you're on hotel wifi or something still

Ahh it'd be straight up disabled? Damn... Doesn't help that I also have a Pixel 8 Pro and apparently that phone has issues in Japan.

My understanding is that "Wifi calling" really just means calling over an internet connection, and that you don't actually have to be connected to wifi specifically in order to make it work. My last trip I used wifi calling all the time, but unfortunately I don't think there was any case where I used it while not in my hotel room so I can't say for sure, but there are plenty of reports from people saying it works. If you're already committed to getting an esim, it's definitely worth trying at least. It may depend on your home carrier allowing wifi calling outside your home country though, as apparently some don't for some dumb reason.

The nice thing about wifi calling is that calls are charged based on your home location, not where you take the call. So when I called my parents back at home, no one had to pay any long-distance charges, which was fantastic.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that "Wifi calling" really just means calling over an internet connection, and that you don't actually have to be connected to wifi specifically in order to make it work. My last trip I used wifi calling all the time, but unfortunately I don't think there was any case where I used it while not in my hotel room so I can't say for sure, but there are plenty of reports from people saying it works. If you're already committed to getting an esim, it's definitely worth trying at least. It may depend on your home carrier allowing wifi calling outside your home country though, as apparently some don't for some dumb reason.

The nice thing about wifi calling is that calls are charged based on your home location, not where you take the call. So when I called my parents back at home, no one had to pay any long-distance charges, which was fantastic.

The problem is, the Pixel 7 and above (newer) apparently have issues in Japan if you don't own the Japanese model of said phones with a Mobal, Sakura, etc. So getting an internal SIM/eSIM might not work out as well. The other issue is that a lot of MiFi devices don't have the best battery life. Yes, I'm bringing a pretty big battery, but still. I might have to still go with a MiFi device instead of a SIM for the trip.

That is great to know about using WiFi Calling, because it is actually enabled for my Verizon account.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
What even is this conversation above.

You can call people using any mainstream chat app, be it Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp, and it will work out of the box. You don't need any special card or subscription or enable any settings or have a specific phone model. It just works, whether you're on 4G or Wifi. Though, you may not want to use through mobile data when abroad unless it's an emergency, as it can drain your data quickly.

I must be missing something, though?

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017

You can call people using any mainstream chat app, be it Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp, and it will work out of the box. You don't need any special card or subscription or enable any settings or have a specific phone model. It just works, whether you're on 4G or Wifi. Though, you may not want to use through mobile data when abroad unless it's an emergency, as it can drain your data quickly.

Just making sure I'm covering my bases on shit like this and making sure I'm not crazy. I'm sure part of this is just my anxiety, so I ask a lot of questions that should be simple but I get worked up over.

I do have another question though, for those that have used Sakura and Japan Wireless, which one would you say is more reliable/usable for a trip?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, the Pixel 7 and above (newer) apparently have issues in Japan if you don't own the Japanese model of said phones with a Mobal, Sakura, etc. So getting an internal SIM/eSIM might not work out as well. The other issue is that a lot of MiFi devices don't have the best battery life. Yes, I'm bringing a pretty big battery, but still. I might have to still go with a MiFi device instead of a SIM for the trip.

That is great to know about using WiFi Calling, because it is actually enabled for my Verizon account.

Ah, reading up on those issues, it does sound like it might be less hassle to go with a mobile hotspot despite the (relatively minor) downsides. I had a Pixel 6 and so didn't run into any issues/didn't know about all of this. I would 100% expect wifi calling to work with a mobile hotspot so you'll probably be fine there.

For me personally it was just easier for my parents to call me at my usual number. The trip before this one, we managed to set up a whole thing via Skype but it was a bunch more stuff for my parents to figure out. Just using the phone as a phone was easier on all of us, they didn't have to change any of their habits to accommodate my trip and I didn't have to worry about troubleshooting anything.

You're right though, for other people I'd probably just use a chat app. But then, there aren't a lot of people in my life that I really need to call while I'm on vacation to begin with!

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
...Huh. Does the Pixel 8 Pro have problems on Google Fi in Japan? Because I have an 8 Pro now, and I had a 6 Pro last year...

I see some intermittent references to people having issues with the service in the last year.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
...Huh. Does the Pixel 8 Pro have problems on Google Fi in Japan? Because I have an 8 Pro now, and I had a 6 Pro last year...

I see some intermittent references to people having issues with the service in the last year.

Apparently non-Japanese Pixel 7 and newer devices have intermittent issues in Japan. At least from what I'm reading from prepaid providers.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Eep. Maybe I will need to get a pocket wifi next time I'm there. Which would maybe be the economical option anyhow - Google Fi was convenient for internet access, but it's $10/GB and I am pretty sure you can do better than that for the pocket wifi devices.

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
Eep. Maybe I will need to get a pocket wifi next time I'm there. Which would maybe be the economical option anyhow - Google Fi was convenient for internet access, but it's $10/GB and I am pretty sure you can do better than that for the pocket wifi devices.
I've used pocket WiFi the last 3 times I went and hand nothing but good out of it. It's pretty cheap too the service I use.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

WiFi device is like $40 for 100GB :P

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys stupid question but how busy does it get at early to mid April? I'm planning to visit either early april or late October?

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys stupid question but how busy does it get at early to mid April? I'm planning to visit either early april or late October?
Early April will be middle/end of spring tourism season in Japan next year, so probably very busy. Late October will be leaf peeping season (koyo), which I think is not as busy, but definitely still busy. If you want not so busy I have heard good things about winter trips (February?) here, but to some extent the hot spots are still going to have people no matter when you go.

What are you hoping to do on your trip? Anything that it's particularly important you get to do?

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
WiFi device is like $40 for 100GB :P

I feel like I paid a bit, but I did go through Sakura to get both a pocket MiFi device and a SIM (my partner wanted one for themselves, as if we separate for any reason, she has her own access), got the insurance for the pocket device and for 21 days of unlimited data, out came out to $180. Basically, I want this to be as brainless as possible so I grabbed the unlimited data.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

March, April, May, and October are easily the best months to visit Japan. Never mind if they are or aren't busier -- they're all great times to go. The touristy hot spots will always be busy anyway

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wait really?

I'm most likely going in October this year 👀

Depends on how long the El Nino effect lasts into fall:
www.resetera.com

Japan Travel |OT| We have to go back

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/environment/2024/02/18/climate-change/2024-japan-even-hotter/ Good luck to anybody going in the summer :p

October last year was hotter than any other October I've been there. I even put a warning in the OP about it for this year :P

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Predicting exactly how it's going to play out is probably not possible, but the trend has definitely been warmer and warmer:

www.japantimes.co.jp

Fall is the new summer: Warming threatens Japan’s cultural calendar

Climate change is disrupting Japan’s autumn and seasonal experiences, and with it the rhythm of people’s lives.

Depends on how long the El Nino effect lasts into fall:
www.resetera.com

Japan Travel |OT| We have to go back

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/environment/2024/02/18/climate-change/2024-japan-even-hotter/ Good luck to anybody going in the summer :p

October last year was hotter than any other October I've been there. I even put a warning in the OP about it for this year :P

Oh right, I did see you mentioned that before, Mike!

Right right, interesting times, maybe November will be a nice month to visit this year for those still considering dates

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017

I used a Pixel 7 Pro in Japan last year with Google Fi and had no issues...