Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
What a coincidence, I was just watching a playthrough of Forbidden Siren.

I remember playing it confused & hard because the first thing you do is hiding & looking for items/clues + the sightjacking.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
There are but no one seems to care about the kappas and asshole eyeball ghost and scissor lady when it comes to games.

Try Yomawari: Night Alone

yomawarinightalone_ss_04.jpg

Jun 18, 2018
Not only does Siren need to return, but it needs to be on PSVR(2).

Also, I'm not sure we need more straight up horror games, it's survival horror that needs to return.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I've always really wanted to get into Siren, own it on PS3 PSN, but I've tried a minimum of four to five times and I just somehow don't "get" that game. I never understand what exactly to do despite reading all the available information, grope around in the dark and then get shot by a zombie with a rifle or something.

Fuck, I really want to get into and love that game for its cool atmosphere but I just keep bouncing off. Is there a less obscure sequel gameplay-wise maybe?

PS: I'm really hoping that the success of REMake 2 somehow kicks some Survival Horror back into gear...

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always really wanted to get into Siren, own it on PS3 PSN, but I've tried a minimum of four to five times and I just somehow don't "get" that game. I never understand what exactly to do despite reading all the available information, grope around in the dark and then get shot by a zombie with a rifle or something.

Fuck, I really want to get into and love that game for its cool atmosphere but I just keep bouncing off. Is there a less obscure sequel gameplay-wise maybe?

PS: I'm really hoping that the success of REMake 2 somehow kicks some Survival Horror back into gear...
You need to tune your ability to see through the enemy's eyes, from there work out a safe way to the exit, sometimes with some puzzle solving involved. It hard but not that hard, the awful controls are the real problem.

You said PS3 though, if you mean blood curse that game's controls are much better.

Dec 6, 2017
US
You need to tune your ability to see through the enemy's eyes, from there work out a safe way to the exit, sometimes with some puzzle solving involved. It hard but not that hard, the awful controls are the real problem.

You said PS3 though, if you mean blood curse that game's controls are much better.

I have the original on PSN I meant, on PS3. Never played any of the sequels unfortunately.

Hmmm, yeah I never really understood the whole "tuning your vision" thing to be quite honest. I just kind of fumble around, never get it right, get shot in the first level and give up haha...

OP
OP
A New Beginning
Oct 27, 2017
I have the original on PSN I meant, on PS3. Never played any of the sequels unfortunately.

Hmmm, yeah I never really understood the whole "tuning your vision" thing to be quite honest. I just kind of fumble around, never get it right, get shot in the first level and give up haha...
Siren 1 is close to unplayable which is a shame because the atmosphere is one of the best in horror. The sequel improves on it in every way and adds some new mechanics without losing the atmosphere of the original.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That sounds enticing because I loved the overall setting and well, yeah, atmosphere. What's the title and platform of the sequel?

Siren 2 is on PS2 but the only English version is EU-exclusive. For the longest time, it didn't work on emulators, but they managed to get it working with some glitches a few years ago; might be better now. Siren 2 is my favorite game in the series - it's much more accessible than the first game and has a lot of creative ideas. Like for example, one of the playable characters is blind & so you sightjack his seeing eye dog to help you go through the area.

Siren: Blood Curse is this weird alternate telling of the first game where some Americans come to the place where Siren 1 occurred and then horrible stuff happens. So you've got Siren 1 characters plus new American characters. It's the most accessible one of the 3 games with the nicest graphics, however it felt like they didn't have as much of a budget (or more of the budget was spent on the visuals) so it's not as long or deep as the other 2 games. Still, it's a solid entry point since it's the easiest game and also easiest to acquire. It's also a little weird in that it was an experiment in episodic gaming for Sony, but just go ahead and buy all the episodes and you're good.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
These days a horror game 'with a budget' seems to be a true unicorn of the industry- especially from Japan. If you can't get some over-exaggerated YouTube/Twitch personality screaming into a camera to jump scares, you might have a hard time convincing shareholders to put time/resources into a game that might push 600k units if it's lucky. And that sucks... because, like many of you, my heart regularly wanders back to the halcyon days of the PS2 and the abundance of horror games.

The only hope these days?
-A or AA budget Japanese horror once every 5 years or so from a lesser known dev.
-high profile remake (see: RE series)
-Sony, specifically Japan Studio, who is still seemingly willing to take chances on single player experiences and has Keiichiro Toyama (Silent Hill 1, SIREN) in their wheelhouse.

Like an orphaned dog sitting at the grave on an owner never to return, I remain waiting for Konami's triumphant return to big budget console video games- and the announcement that Imamura/Tsuboyama are heading up a proper Silent Hill 5. 😞

OP
OP
A New Beginning
Oct 27, 2017
These days a horror game 'with a budget' seems to be a true unicorn of the industry- especially from Japan. If you can't get some over-exaggerated YouTube/Twitch personality screaming into a camera to jump scares, you might have a hard time convincing shareholders to put time/resources into a game that might push 600k units if it's lucky. And that sucks... because, like many of you, my heart regularly wanders back to the halcyon days of the PS2 and the abundance of horror games.

The only hope these days?
-A or AA budget Japanese horror once every 5 years or so from a lesser known dev.
-high profile remake (see: RE series)
-Sony, specifically Japan Studio, who is still seemingly willing to take chances on single player experiences and has Keiichiro Toyama (Silent Hill 1, SIREN) in their wheelhouse.

Like an orphaned dog sitting at the grave on an owner never to return, I remain waiting for Konami's triumphant return to big budget console video games- and the announcement that Imamura/Tsuboyama are heading up a proper Silent Hill 5. 😞
I don't think you need a high budget for PS2era-type horror game. Fatal Frame would probably cost the same as one of the mousou games and we know how often they're released.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Siren 2 is on PS2 but the only English version is EU-exclusive. For the longest time, it didn't work on emulators, but they managed to get it working with some glitches a few years ago; might be better now. Siren 2 is my favorite game in the series - it's much more accessible than the first game and has a lot of creative ideas. Like for example, one of the playable characters is blind & so you sightjack his seeing eye dog to help you go through the area.

Siren: Blood Curse is this weird alternate telling of the first game where some Americans come to the place where Siren 1 occurred and then horrible stuff happens. So you've got Siren 1 characters plus new American characters. It's the most accessible one of the 3 games with the nicest graphics, however it felt like they didn't have as much of a budget (or more of the budget was spent on the visuals) so it's not as long or deep as the other 2 games. Still, it's a solid entry point since it's the easiest game and also easiest to acquire. It's also a little weird in that it was an experiment in episodic gaming for Sony, but just go ahead and buy all the episodes and you're good.

Thanks for all that information. Of course it has to be difficult to play Siren 2, surprise! I unfortunately don't even have the option for emulation right now, only have a work desktop at home these days.

I might give Blood Curse a shot. Putting it on the long list.

germuso

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Siren sold really bad, It's dead.

If konami makes a new silent hill It will be done by a cheap western studio.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both Dead Space 2 and 3 are great. 3 is just a different genre, basically.

The bigger crime is that they just never got followed up or brought into current gen.

3 isn't scary at all and I read an interview where they said it was an active decision to turn the franchise into an action game to increase sales

I agree 2 is great but 3 just ruined things

Mar 29, 2018
3 isn't scary at all and I read an interview where they said it was an active decision to turn the franchise into an action game to increase sales

I agree 2 is great but 3 just ruined things
I reiterate exactly what I said - it's great, it's just not the same genre. As you said, 3 isn't scary at all. That's because it's not a horror game.

Boot it up with a buddy, ready for a twosome action romp, and you're in for a great time