• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Orphan_Black_%28Japanese_Drama%29-TP.jpg

• Drama: Orphan Black: Seven Genes (literal title)
  • Romaji: Ofan Burakku: Nanatsu no Idenshi
  • Japanese: オーファン・ブラック~七つの遺伝子~
  • Episodes: 8
  • Release Date: December 2, 2017 - January 27, 2018
  • Runtime: Saturdays 23:40-24:35
Plot:

Sara Aoyama (Kang Ji-Young) was an orphan and is now a single mother. She has suffered through poverty, lack of understanding from society and other problems that led to her being separated from her daughter. She believes that if she has money, her life will change. One day, Sara Aoyama sees a woman killing herself by jumping in front of a train. The woman who jumped looks just like her doppleganger. Sara Aoyama is stunned, but takes the woman's bag. Since then, her life takes an unpredictable turn.

http://asianwiki.com/Orphan_Black_(Japanese_Drama)

-

I couldn't really get into the original but I'll be interested to check out the J-drama.

(If you watch J-dramas, or are interested in learning about them, please join us in the OT here!)

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the lead actress is really good. Orphan Black is a great show and it's largely because of Tatiana Maslany. This type of show lives or dies on the strength of the lead.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Not really interested in it myself, but here's a pic of the characters.

DOGykSzV4AAjQCM.jpg
I guess Japanese Helena is ok. Not sure about that Cosima, though...

I know nothing about the actress, but there's such a glaring lack of charisma in that picture. Tatiana owned those roles even in stills.

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
They have their work cut out for them. Tatiana Maslany was sublime in the series, it will be hard to come close to how well she played the multiple characters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Without Tatiana, I'm not sure this is worth doing, but if it ends up being good, cool.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I'll check it out, but as others have said those are some pretty big shoes to fill. One of the reasons the original worked so well is because of Tatiana Maslany.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
I will check it out, sure. But Tatiana was absolutely phenomenal in her many roles. Many times I completely forgot that she was in every scene, often just playing against herself. Her ability to embody every character and also realistically portray how characters would interpret each other was just amazing to watch.

The show had some faults that could be cleaned up by a new version, but without the consistency of the lead, I don't think it would matter too much. That picture though doesn't look too appealing - kind of reminds me of Jack Black's montage in Tropic Thunder.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to how they will handle the Cosima and Felix characters.

That line-up looks like a J-pop poster.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I would expect there might be some changes with the characters. I'm curious as to who gets changed because I don't expect or even want the show to be 1:1. I don't think it could or should be.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck, depends entirely on the lead. Maslany made that show work up and down.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually curious now how popular Orphan Black is/was in Japan (assuming they had it at all). If it's the new 24 this might actually not be such an out-there project.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have no hopes for this without Tatiana. Those stills aren't doing anything for me. Who's next to Helena?

With the way they showing all of the clones in that still, do they expect to throw everyone into the first season?

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have no hopes for this without Tatiana. Those stills aren't doing anything for me. Who's next to Helena?

With the way they showing all of the clones in that still, do they expect to throw everyone into the first season?
Alison I'm guessing.

I'm not a fan of their take on who I assume is Cosima.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Loved the original, it'll be interesting to see how well this is done. As for the image, who is the 3rd from the left supposed to be? I guess it's Katja? Anyway this is my best guess of who is who, with Beth perhaps not being a cop? Thoughts?

hCZwCSV.jpg

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. This is interesting. Really curious to see how the lead actress handles all the different characters. Tatiana made it look easy, but I highly suspect that it wasn't. :P

All of those clones are in the first season of the original show too.

Anyway this is my best guess of who is who, with Beth perhaps not being a cop? Thoughts?

I think you nailed it!

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out about this and found no thread. So I will ask here.

The plot sounds interesting and there are 5 seasons out already. Would like to know if this show is good and if it manages to be good all throughout 5 seasons?

Thanks.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
It's good, but it drags in the middle seasons. Worth watching just to see Tatiana's performances.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Just found out about this and found no thread. So I will ask here.

The plot sounds interesting and there are 5 seasons out already. Would like to know if this show is good and if it manages to be good all throughout 5 seasons?

Thanks.

It's a good, but often very messy show. There are a lot of conspiracies (sometimes conspiracies inside conspiracies) but the only time things really get out of hand is in season 2. The fifth season was written as the final one, so pretty much all your questions will be answered by the end - most in a logical and satisfactory manner. The main attraction is Tatiana Maslaney's revelatory, tour de force performance as a variety of different characters, although the supporting actors all do an admirable job as well. There's also a lot of humor, which is great.

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That makeup/wardrobe looks so lazy. It looks like it could be the same girl just trying on different clothing in her closet.
Loved the original, it'll be interesting to see how well this is done. As for the image, who is the 3rd from the left supposed to be? I guess it's Katja? Anyway this is my best guess of who is who, with Beth perhaps not being a cop? Thoughts?

hCZwCSV.jpg

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
It's good, but it drags in the middle seasons. Worth watching just to see Tatiana's performances.

It's a good, but often very messy show. There are a lot of conspiracies (sometimes conspiracies inside conspiracies) but the only time things really get out of hand is in season 2. The fifth season was written as the final one, so pretty much all your questions will be answered by the end - most in a logical and satisfactory manner. The main attraction is Tatiana Maslaney's revelatory, tour de force performance as a variety of different characters, although the supporting actors all do an admirable job as well. There's also a lot of humor, which is great.

Thanks, guys. After Stranger Things 2, was looking for something new to watch with my wife. Will give this a shot to see if she likes it.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I can think of few things I'd rather do less than attempt to fill Tatiana Maslany's shoes. She gave one of the best performances ever on television.

laudateluna

Nov 2, 2017
I am really interested how they gonna adapt the Orphan Black story into a Japanese setting. My fear? is a bit that they just overlook the diversity of the characters (and side characters). As much the story wanted to shock and always set one on top, it ultimately lived from the characters and their interaction with each other (yes mostly the clones but also everyone else). And seeing how Japan isnt that progressive with LGBTQ+ characters I fear they'll just erase it, but then again maybe they gonna be progressive and commit. Lets hope.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

hCZwCSV.jpg

Hold on here.

Now, I've never watched Orphan Black, but are you telling me that all of these people are the same actress?

Holy shit, I need to watch this series YESTERDAY.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hold on here.

Now, I've never watched Orphan Black, but are you telling me that all of these people are the same actress?

Holy shit, I need to watch this series YESTERDAY.

All of them are the same actress, and almost all of them share the screen with each other on a regular basis.

It's a phenomenal feat of acting, makeup, wardrobe design and editing...but especially acting. Tatiana is one in a generation.