• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Tank is way too low, A Cruel Angel's Thesis is great, and Kick Back is the best OP by far I've seen in years - incredible animation + song combo.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
if this were a Japanese list, i bet Freckles would be in the top 10. i feel like it is one of those anime openings that was popular outside of the show. i've heard it a lot in Japan.
I actually don't think it would. Judy And Mary (along with most of the artists used for RK) were independently famous, multi-million album-selling artists. The general public likely wouldn't even think of them as anime songs and rather just Top 40 songs.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
No Saint Seiya, no Rurouni Kenshin (despicable mangaka aside) and no Yu Yu Hakusho? Yeah they're old, but there are some bangers in there.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I actually don't think it would. Judy And Mary (along with most of the artists used for RK) were independently famous, multi-million album-selling artists. The general public likely wouldn't even think of them as anime songs and rather just Top 40 songs.

It was #16 on the list posted by L Thammy — not sure how representative something like that is.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017

Ferret

Oct 25, 2017
Ao no Sumika > SpecialZ, personally, but good showing for JJK.

I prefer Kaikai Kikan to SpecialZ too but I also just really like Eve.

Glad Samurai Heart made it. Would have loved a Gundam song to make it though with it being western focused it would have probably just been Just Communication instead of The Winner which is more deserving don't at me. No Sugar Song to Bitter Step is also a crime.

The song is voted 9th top anime song for the Heisei era by the general public (green column below).
I actually doubt it would be in the top 20 for an actual ranking by Anime fans.

18b0a989c0b2b1e2.jpg

18b0a77c5242b1e2.jpg

Source: https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/animesong_ranking/
Source: https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm42878043

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
We Are, Again, Blue Bird, Idol, SpecialZ, Akuma no Ko and Gurenge are some damn good picks

No Bleach in the top 20 is crazy tho. Rolling Star was robbed

Last edited:

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The show is actually top tier as well, I'm hoping the compilation movie leads us to season 2

I haven't watched it yet, and it's only because there's a couple of shows I want to watch on Hidive, but not yet enough to cause me to resubscribe.

I think the last time I checked, it was free with ads though so I might have to take a look.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
We Are, Again, Blue Bird, Idol, SpecialZ, Akuma no Ko and Gurenge are sone damn good picks

No Bleach in the top 20 is crazy tho. Rolling Star was robbed
I feel like I've gone my entire existence without seeing another Rolling Star fan
86a838438ca55e52bb413d44befc4386.gif

I haven't watched it yet, and it's only because there's a couple of shows I want to watch on Hidive, but not yet enough to cause me to resubscribe.

I think the last time I checked, it was free with ads though so I might have to take a look.
Yeah I know what you mean, it sucks when one service has the one show you want to watch and nothing else 😩

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Should of been Ao No Sumika instead of SpecialZ

Also wish Bleach's OP7 After Dark by Asian Kung-Fu Generation was on there, so good and it got me into the band

Oct 27, 2017
I think Official Hige Dandism deserves a spot here. Their anime songs are just one hit after another, they just can't fail.
CryBaby, White Noise, Mixed Nuts, Soulsoup, all incredible.
But I guess they're not as popular as some other picks on the list

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Read the list wrong at first and thought the bottom was the top and was like "y'know...this list ain't half bad" 😭
The AoT themes were robbed. Turbobangers, the lot of them.

Also, disappointed at the lack of Kaibutsu.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I have my problems with the show (particularly the second cour), but the second opening to Ranking of Kings is an all-time great. Maybe biased due to the really well-done visuals?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZAH5w8jkQ

For older stuff, this is definitely missing the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OPs. And whoever said Database from Log Horizon, yeah - that song was so iconic they just went ahead and reused it for the second season.

I'll also add Lay Your Hands on Me from Boom Boom Satellites, their OP for Kiznaiver. It was the last song they released before their singer passed away from cancer; the music video for it was pretty much a last message left for his daughter:

View: https://youtu.be/5X9mrJVHbJU

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Surprised Butterfly is as high as it is considering when Digimon was syndicate in the west, it was given a completely custom opening just like Pokemon. Or maybe that was just a US thing.

Nov 23, 2017
Not a single song from a Gundam show? Not one? But three from AoT? Wild. I mean Gundam SEED helped usher in the 2000's JPOP revolution.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I can respect Eva even if I'm not personally a fan. No OG Naruto, Gundam Seed, and AoT being so low is disrespect though :p

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I think Official Hige Dandism deserves a spot here. Their anime songs are just one hit after another, they just can't fail.
CryBaby, White Noise, Mixed Nuts, Soulsoup, all incredible.
But I guess they're not as popular as some other picks on the list
They are insanely popular but not known for their anime inclusions at least. I don't think I even knew any of their songs were used in an anime despite hearing and seeing them constantly

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly can't be mad at the choices. It'd be hard to narrow down a top 50 or 100 let alone a top 20 and those are all very good OPs.