• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Because of the lockdown and Covid

Deliver pizza is getting more popular in Japan, and with it the constant debate of Pineapple and Pizza~~
But with the Pizza debate, new question are raise, if pizza, can other dish add pineapple?

qJeTnqaemJ_Zp6U.jpg

qJeTnqaemJ_Zp6Y.jpg

Thought range from

I don't like Sweet on main dish
qJeTnqaemJ_Zp6g.jpg

If it is tasty, I don't mind
qJeTnqaemJ_ZqKo.jpg

I don't mind adding fruit
qJeTnqaemJ_ZqKs.jpg

They also interviewed a popular chain store, Pizza-la
Which say they have had that dish for 35 year and is still popular
qJeTnqaemJ_ZqKSZ.jpg

This is their Hawaian Pizza
qJeTnqaemJ_ZqKSb.jpg

qJeTnqaemJ_ZqKSY.jpg

The show did survey on 1200 people over the age of 10
43.3% like pineapple pizza
56.7 Dont like
qJeTnqaemJ_ZqaSc.jpg

And if we use another popular dish
Sweet and Sour Pork
59.8% Yes
40.3% NO
qJeTnqaemJ_ZqaSd.jpg

qJeTnqaemJ_ZqaSe.jpg

Some more other food
Potato Salad - Yes 63.3%, NO- 36.8%
Ham - Yes 49.9% NO 50.1%
Dry Curry - Yes 39.2% No 60.8%
Cold Noodle - Yes 27.7% No 72.3%
qJeTnqaemJ_ZqaSg.jpg

May 19, 2020
i had not heard any issue with pineapple on pizza my whole life until it became like a twitter discourse thing similar to "is a hot dog a sandwich". hawaiian pizza has existed and been a pizza menu staple for actual decades. the pineapple hate is overstated

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
japan puts so much weird stuff on pizza I'm surprised pineapple is even mildly controversial

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
How popular is pizza in Japan anyway. I always understood that dairy in particular wasn't a popular item but maybe I'm behind in the times.

Nov 8, 2017
Regular topping pizzas in Japan are super expensive- it was like 40 bucks for a regular peperoni when I visited my friends in Okinawa- these less conventional topping piazzas tend to be regular price. Not sure if that's due to ingredient scarcity or what.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
i didn't think i'd hate an item with pineapple added to it more than pizza, but here we are.

potato salad? absolutely not.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Shocked me when I went to Taiwan for the first time and discovered that one of the most common pizza toppings there is corn.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Some more other food
Potato Salad - Yes 63.3%, NO- 36.8%
Ham - Yes 49.9% NO 50.1%
Dry Curry - Yes 39.2% No 60.8%
Cold Noodle - Yes 27.7% No 72.3%
qJeTnqaemJ_ZqaSg.jpg
Those fruits aren't pineapple

It says:

Potato Salad x Apple
Some kind of (young?) ham x Melon
(Dry curry?) looks like granola to me x Raisin
and Somen (noodles) x Mikan (a citrus fruit)

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
i had not heard any issue with pineapple on pizza my whole life until it became like a twitter discourse thing similar to "is a hot dog a sandwich". hawaiian pizza has existed and been a pizza menu staple for actual decades. the pineapple hate is overstated

Yep. Pineapple Pizza has been around forever.

Here's a story about Steve Jobs using Pineapple Pizzas as a reward for the original Macintosh team way back in 1981:

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
This. I swear it's people trying too hard to create an argument about nothing/inoffensive preferences.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Corn on pizza is amazing. I got an Aldi street corn pizza and it makes me mad that it was seemingly some limited edition thing. I can take or leave pineapple because my vegetarian ex and I ate so much of it when she worked at Mellow Mushroom.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
If Pineapple wasn't bad enough, like the most popular Pizza topping in Thailand is Pineapple and Crabsticks. No thanks.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I personally can't stand pineapple on pizza. But I don't judge and care if others like it/order it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
As for pineapple on pizza, its something I'd eat, but I'd never pay money for. Its more of if its there I'll eat it.

Though I also don't really like pineapple, which might be mostly due to working with it every day at my last job. I haven't eaten pineapple or strawberries in years and I have no plan to.

B-Dex

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I mean we've had hawaiin pizza in Canada forever. Or Ham and pineapple. So it's strange to me that it's such a divisive subject.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
anchovies used to be the divisive pizza topping but they've mostly died out as a common topping option so pineapple has to bear the cross now

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Those fruits aren't pineapple

It says:

Potato Salad x Apple
Some kind of (young?) ham x Melon
(Dry curry?) looks like granola to me x Raisin
and Somen (noodles) x Mikan (a citrus fruit)

生ハム nama ham - is thinly sliced cured ham that is "raw" (only cured, low temp) as opposed to roasted or baked.

Dry curry is curry that does not have much liquid in it, it is usually made 2 ways, by having a lot of minced meat and little water, or by using curry spices as the flavoring for fried rice/pilaf.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly like or dislike pineapple on pizza but I'm almost always going to come down on the side of making stuff just savory vs. savory-sweet.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Those pineapple pieces on some of those slices are way too thick. I like pineapple on pizza fine, but they need to be way thinner than that.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Japan has corn on their pizzas, so they lost the right to speak in this discussion long ago :P

And Mayo.

I mean we've had hawaiin pizza in Canada forever. Or Ham and pineapple. So it's strange to me that it's such a divisive subject.

The thing is, we call it "Hawaiian pizza" in Canada because it's fucking gross and we don't want it to be associated with Canada. "Yeah, we don't know who came up with that, must have been the Hawaiians or something...oh well, here's this pizza at the party that no one wants to touch". Most restaurants do have a Canadian Pizza and it's Pep, Mush and Bacon, and that's not at all a Canadian invention, but whatever, we'll take that and Hawaii can have the ham and pineapple.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be weird going to another country and ordering plain pepperoni pizza and they look at you like you're a weirdo.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Candy Corn is another of these things since I love it and never knew people who didn't until it became a meme

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Would be weird going to another country and ordering plain pepperoni pizza and they look at you like you're a weirdo.
I went to a tiny place in Tokyo and they didn't have normal ingredients so I got just cheese. It was cheese bread. My fault for not researching better.

There is a small chain on Tokyo that is a copy of Chicago's Gino's pizza. It is 100% accurate. I was impressed. They also brew their own beer and it was bad homebrew. Like no way you could sell it in Europe or the states.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
yes.

Until a pineapple pizza tries to get into the Council of PIzza™ held by a select small group of ancient Italian pizzerias, anything goes.