Dec 19, 2022
I honestly don't get it. Wasn't Synapse primarily developed for mobile games, if I understand that correctly, and also kinda new and untested and "not ready for production"? Why switch to that for a game which is supposed to come out on pc and current gen consoles?
- nvm Chev down there explained it

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018
London
With the way the industry is going I can see a number of games that are having development problems just getting cancelled. One game I would not be surprised if it got cancelled is Perfect Dark, its years since we have seen anything and is the team helping with it not releasing a Tomb Raider game first.

That's similar to what Embracer haven been doing: cancelling games that are far from release and will only cost money short and medium term. And they have also let a lot of people go who were working on these kinds of projects, most recently at Fishlabs and Piranha Bytes in Germany.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
engines cost money! here, use our shitty unsupported mobile engine instead so we don't have to pay licensing fees
This is what I thought when I read the story. Looked like there was a chance for a good/great game, but the powers that be really wanted everything in-house. 6 years wasted and jobs lost due to profit hoarding…

Chev

Mar 1, 2021
Why the fuck do execs have the say on the game engine, they are tech team leads for that. Again a project fucked in the ass by clueless upper management.
Considering the price tag, and risks of sudden pricing shenanigans (hello Unity) or otherwise becoming dependent on an external actor, and risks of your know-how being absorbed by the engine company to directly compete with you (hello Fortnite), the choice of engine is absolutely more strategic than just a tech choice and well within the scope of upper management.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Just because you're using UE doesn't mean you'll have smooth development. Take a look at how long Rocksteady is making their new game.

Here is the answer:
Tbh i think that's more due to WB execs meddling.

WB forced their studios to use UE3 for an infinite period even when devs started using UE5 due to their stupid elongated contract. It's onykl now they they freed their teams from its shackles so we saw MK1 and SS using UE4 when now everyone is using UE5.

teemoisfun

Mar 19, 2021
Brazil
MS probably doesn't want to end up in an "Halo Infinite + Slipspace" situation ever again (where years of development and money were burned just building up the new engine...to find out in the end is not good and moreover flexible like they wanted for a GaaS model)
I wish that the big pubs joined forces to fund an org to make an open source engine to the benefit of the industry at large

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
WB forced their studios to use UE3 for an infinite period even when devs started using UE5 due to their stupid elongated contract. It's onykl now they they freed their teams from its shackles so we saw MK1 and SS using UE4 when now everyone is using UE5.
source for WB forcing them to use UE3?

And SS began development in, what, 2017? UE5 wasn't a thing then and if they decided to migrate after it released you'd see additional years added to development time.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
6 Years and still years away from release? Good lord. And being a survival game at that.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Lots of Ubisoft studios are located in countries that are not the United States and have actual labor laws. Ubisoft itself is not an American company, they have a different mindset.

They own a handful of U.S. studious and most of their publishing organization is in the U.S..
Their Mindset is indeed more euro-centric. But it's not like euro gaming companies have been completely spared the last couple years either

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I believe I've told this anecdote before, but a long, long time ago, I was working for a publisher that had one of their studios working on a licensed game. The game was actually pretty well received by the players, because they were fans of the IP, and the game was fun. The problem, was that the game just wasn't making enough money. So one of the main leads on the projects attempted to rework the business model of the game to generate more profit, and some of the producers tried to reason with them that those changes would not be received well, and would piss off players, and ultimately hurt the game.

But the lead was adamant that their vision would work, and that the game would gain new fans (despite it being an IP that, while beloved, had a pretty limited reach in terms of gaining new generations interested in the title), so who cares if the current player base got screwed over. So their rework was implemented, and, as was warned, the community was furious, and player numbers dropped, the review scores tanked, and, ultimately, the IP owner pulled the license, and the game was scuttled. All because this person in a position of power couldn't set aside their pride and ego. And, as you'd expect, because the project was dead, and no money was being generated, people were laid off.
The way you tell that story I think I know exactly the game you're referring too and if I do then it's one of my most missed games ever.