demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Big Time Bobby's gonna point to this and whatever minor things follow as his ability to clean house and protect the Activision brand, and net himself another juicy bonus

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Brack had been with the company forever and so were the people who had the job before him. So this will be the first time in a very long time that the people who are in charge at blizzard are not historically from blizzard.

This could be exactly what the company needs to get itself back on track.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard feels more and more Hollow every year.

I'm glad some people are being held accountable in this nightmare of a situation they've let fester for god knows how long over there.

Feels like Blizzard will be a support studio for Call of Duty by 2026.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Why would they expect a different answer. If she was removed they would have said so.
I mean I expected something to be done when she has been posting Tweets about whistleblowing, and BLOCKING HER OWN COMPANY'S EMPLOYEES (you can't make this shit up) for tweeting at her. We all knew JAB was a scapegoat (albeit not a big loss in the grand scheme of things) but so much more needs to be done.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
JAB was always going to be the scapegoat from day 1 so I am not at all surprised if they just oust him, pat themselves on the back, and call it a day. I think Ms. Torture Lover needs to be the next to go but what do I know.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Blizzard feels more and more Hollow every year.

I'm glad some people are being held accountable in this nightmare of a situation they've let fester for god knows how long over there.

Feels like Blizzard will be a support studio for Call of Duty by 2026.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make a COD game by the end of the decade. Maybe the Vicarious Visions team leading it given their prior experience on Destiny. Either way, I hope I'm wrong.

Gaming is better with a healthy Blizzard, but Blizzard needs to not be a toxic cesspool as well.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make a COD game by the end of the decade. Maybe the Vicarious Visions team leading it given their prior experience on Destiny. Either way, I hope I'm wrong.

Gaming is better with a healthy Blizzard, but Blizzard needs to not be a toxic cesspool as well.
All this has shown is Blizzard was never healthy. Gaming can be better with a healthy Blizzard and the steps to get there would hopefully start here. The employees want it and seemingly the new leaders of Blizzard don't seem like they're set to get in the way of it. It's just going to require a lot of work and we won't know if it happens until it does.

And them making CoD games is a silly thought. If anything expect CoD to consolidate more now that Warzone is a thing and likely will remain a thing for years to come.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Will feel like a hollow move for appeasement if there isn't quick changes elsewhere.
You need a comprehension test if you think I was fighting for him LMAO

I just told them that Bobby is never going to leave no matter how big the Blizzard issue is.
You might wanna reread what you said. You implied he wasn't involved in this, when of course he is. If he can push for Blizzard to change their development strategy he can also push for a change in company culture, but he clearly hasn't. He's implicit at best. That's without going into the sexual harassment case just linked to you.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
After reviewing the new elected leaders, I'm feeling better about the change that needs to happen. I am hopeful that this is a step in the right direction toward meaningful change.

Slightly OT, with Vicarious becoming more integrated/leading Blizzard, I wouldn't be surprised to hear some sort of WoW remaster announcement in the next couple years.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Brack had been with the company forever and so were the people who had the job before him. So this will be the first time in a very long time that the people who are in charge at blizzard are not historically from blizzard.

This could be exactly what the company needs to get itself back on track.
I think you're wrong on this and what we're seeing here is being done to protect the stock price and Bobby Kotick. Firing Brack doesn't address what the employees have asked for so these situations can't happen again, nor the systemic issues that led us to this moment.

Look, I know everyone here is like "Fuck blizzard" and I get it, but Brack's firing or "leaving" doesn't mean shit. He's been Blizzard's CEO since 2018. Don't be fooled by this. Activision has been hoping that this was just contained to the blizzard side and we've seen that the horrible shit we've seen reported happened on the Activision side as well.

A toxic culture like what we've seen at Activision Blizzard is super pervasive, it isn't just a matter of the CEO or upper management being the problem, it's middle management too. You have to gut almost the entire management of a company this size (after an outside investigation) if you found that they looked the other way when these things were happening along with replacing practically every HR representative there that touched these things and did nothing. You also have to get rid of people like Fran Townsend who has basically been saying this shit didn't happen. And we don't see Activision doing that. Instead they're firing Brack because it makes it LOOK like they're cleaning house.

The fact is activision blizzard's c-suite's stance this entire time has been to say "this is awful!" is just a show. Look at all the other actions they're taking. They hired a union busting firm because they know the only way their employees can change what is happening is unionizing and they saw a giant walk out last week. They hired Fran Townsend as a compliance officer and she came out and said, in essence, that these awful stories of harassment didn't happen. They didn't hire this woman by accident and they didn't just randomly choose this law firm. They did this for a reason.

So firing Brack doesn't surprise me but please KNOW it's just for show. It doesn't mean they've actually CHANGED the culture that lead to all this awful shit we've seen on both the Activision and Blizzard side.

Last edited:

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Looks like this is not just a scapegoat but also seems like Activision is using this situation to gain more control over Blizzard and their business decisions.

This is not really change.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight.
  • Brack becomes president at the end of 2018.
  • Early 2019 the investigation starts (mentioned in the lawsuit that early 2019 Brack was sent emails by female employees of the toxic situation at the Battle.net team).
  • Ybarra joins the Blizzard part of the company as executive VP and General Manager in 2019.
  • Afrasiabi is fired in 2020.
  • VV is merged into Blizzard beginning of 2021.
  • Jen Oneal becomes executive VP of development at the Blizzard part of the company at the same time.
Kotick was again showing he's good at putting the pieces into place to make sure he stays at the top. All the press is (rightfully) on about the Sexual Harassment part of the lawsuit where the Blizzard part is specifically called out. But the Sex Discrimination part of the lawsuit also specifically calls out Activision Publishing. People at the Activision part should also be held accountable. But with the way this is playing out I don't see that happening.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
One man leaving isn't going to change but so much, unfortunately. They still haven't done ANYTHING with the worker's demands, and the fact that Brack is leaving the day before the earnings call calls into question just how much he "stepped down" vs. "was fired to take some of the heat from shareholders off".

It's a save face maneuver, I don't believe it's anything more.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
They will never get rid of Bobby Kotick unless they are directly implicated.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight.
  • Brack becomes president at the end of 2018.
  • Early 2019 the investigation starts (mentioned in the lawsuit that early 2019 Brack was sent emails by female employees of the toxic situation at the Battle.net team).
  • Ybarra joins the Blizzard part of the company as executive VP and General Manager in 2019.
  • Afrasiabi is fired in 2020.
  • VV is merged into Blizzard beginning of 2021.
  • Jen Oneal becomes executive VP of development at the Blizzard part of the company at the same time.
Kotick was again showing he's good at putting the pieces into place to make sure he stays at the top. All the press is (rightfully) on about the Sexual Harassment part of the lawsuit where the Blizzard part is specifically called out. But the Sex Discrimination part of the lawsuit also specifically calls out Activision Publishing. People at the Activision part should also be held accountable. But with the way this is playing out I don't see that happening.
Does any of this matter(aside the Activision Publishing part which does)? Blizzard leadership through the years has failed time and again, JAB included. Blizzard has been rotten since its early years pre-Activision. That leadership has been put in place from more of Activision end/hire over some Blizzard veteran is not some conspiracy for Kotick to take control of a company he's already in control of. If Blizzard is going to change, it needs to actually change. Whether this actually happens remains to be seen, but I feel better about it knowing there is actual new leadership, not someone from the "golden years" of Blizzard.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Kotick needs to go too. Can't be confident in meaningful change until that happens.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Does any of this matter(aside the Activision Publishing part which does)? Blizzard leadership through the years has failed time and again, JAB included. Blizzard has been rotten since its early years pre-Activision. That leadership has been put in place from more of Activision end/hire over some Blizzard veteran is not some conspiracy for Kotick to take control of a company he's already in control of. If Blizzard is going to change, it needs to actually change. Whether this actually happens remains to be seen, but I feel better about it knowing there is actual new leadership, not someone from the "golden years" of Blizzard.

Of course this matters. There's blatant Sex Discrimination under both the Activision and Blizzard publishing parts of the company. Yet only the Blizzard part is (rightfully) hit. Where is the accountability on the Activision Publishing side? Why should the Blizzard part be the only thing that needs to change? They are both rotten to the core.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes: Activision is equally as rotten. Don't forget, the suicide was from the Activision side of the business.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Will feel like a hollow move for appeasement if there isn't quick changes elsewhere.

You might wanna reread what you said. You implied he wasn't involved in this, when of course he is. If he can push for Blizzard to change their development strategy he can also push for a change in company culture, but he clearly hasn't. He's implicit at best. That's without going into the sexual harassment case just linked to you.

I implied nothing.

With "the best he can do" i meant what Bobby thinks is the "best" course of action to keep going. I'm fully aware of the sexual harassment case and as we have seen it meant jackshit to him; if we didn't leave Activision back in 2007 do you seriously think he is going to step down in the year 2021 when the whole company is much bigger than before?

Also, the shareholders aren't going to vote against him no matter what, that's just capitalism for you. They care more about the $$$ than the sexual harassment, as long as their revenue is up YoY they ain't going to push for an actual change.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Company structure. Blizzard has its own CEO/President/Leaders. Activision is the same. Got it's own CEO/President. Bobby is the group CEO, arguably he has little to nothing to do with the day to day workings of Activision or Blizzard, outside of meeting with his direct reports who are the heads of said groups. He can always say he wasn't aware or made aware of these issues and "clean house" by scapegoating the presidents and letting them go.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Of course this matters. There's blatant Sex Discrimination under both the Activision and Blizzard publishing parts of the company. Yet only the Blizzard part is (rightfully) hit. Where is the accountability on the Activision Publishing side? Why should the Blizzard part be the only thing that needs to change? They are both rotten to the core.
I really don't know enough about the Activision Publishing part here but Blizzard is clearly the meat of the lawsuit they currently have in front of them, so it shouldn't be surprising that actions at Blizzard are happening as soon as they are. I'd like to think there's more changes to come, but we'll have to see. That lawsuit isn't going anywhere any it's not going to get any better unless Activision Blizzard keep making moves to please the state.

To clarify, I wasn't speaking about the Activision Publishing portion you mentioned.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Yes: Activision is equally as rotten.

There's a distinction to be made.

There's Activision Blizzard while Activision Publishing and Blizzard are two separate entities. Of course the parent company; Activision Blizzard is resposible for Blizzard and Activision Publishing, but i don't think Activision Publishing has any lawsuit or sexual allegations? (correct me if i'm wrong)

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
There's a distinction to be made.

There's Activision Blizzard while Activision Publishing and Blizzard are two separate entities. Of course the parent company; Activision Blizzard is resposible for Blizzard and Activision Publishing, but i don't think Activision Publishing has any lawsuit or sexual allegations? (correct me if i'm wrong)

Activision Publishing is specifically mentioned in the lawsuit. For example here:

edit:

And with regards to what Delusibeta was saying. Under Sexual Harassment there are three points, two of the three specifically mention Blizzard/Blizzard IPs. The third which involves the suicide uses defendants as the sole describer. I cannot find an article that confirms it happened at Activision publishing but perhaps Delusibeta can share that.

(spoiler tagged the content considering it contains disturbing information)

Last edited:

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I implied nothing.

With "the best he can do" i meant what Bobby thinks is the "best" course of action to keep going. I'm fully aware of the sexual harassment case and as we have seen it meant jackshit to him; if we didn't leave Activision back in 2007 do you seriously think he is going to step down in the year 2021 when the whole company is much bigger than before?

Also, the shareholders aren't going to vote against him no matter what, that's just capitalism for you. They care more about the $$$ than the sexual harassment, as long as their revenue is up YoY they ain't going to push for an actual change.
I'm not arguing against any of that. The sad reality is he'll probably stay in his position because the money the company make.

I was more arguing against you saying "unless he is involved in all this." It comes off as a defence because of course he is.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Watch them now saying "See, we changed things" and go back right to their disgusting behaviour...

While Brack's departure certainly isn't the end of the fight, it is a big and important step.

This is just fucking unacceptable:

duCFZ9E.png

You can't be President of a company and know that a serial sexual harasser works for you and only give him slaps on the wrist.

It's a little cliche, but corporate culture does start at the top. Brack permitting Afrasiabi's behavior creates a culture that permits the degradation of women.

His removal is an important step.

Why would they expect a different answer. If she was removed they would have said so.
I don't think this is accurate. We shouldn't expect Activision/Blizzard to name every person that they fire.

Fran Townsend has no material impact on Activision/Blizzard - she's not a keyman - and so there's no reason to expect Activision to proactively announce her departure.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
For any positive change to take effect, you have to gut almost the entire management of a company of this size if you found that they looked the other way when this awful shit was happening, along with replacing practically every HR representative that sat there and did nothing. They also have to get rid of Townsend as well, and I honestly can't see Activision doing any of that when their bottom line comes first.

Last edited:

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Not gonna lie, as soon as I saw co-leaders I immediately thought of this wonderful woman below. I'd love to get her input on this decision.

the-office-jo-bennett.jpg

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
They need to let go the entire HR department.
Agreed. The HR Dept is 100% complicit, and enabling all this behavior.

Also, don't allow Brack to leave by saying he's "leaving the company to pursue new opportunities".
That's yet another example of protecting the execs.
I bet he gets millions of $$ to say goodbye too.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Scapegoat. Weak ass that couldn't even tell the truth and apologise for what he has let happen. Good riddance.
PS: Would love to hear off Jeff Kaplan. Funny he left in such a hurry when he was in love with Overwatch and directing the sequel.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm glad but I also have the feeling that he's only the sacrificial lamb since Kotick is still there.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to be a cynical asshole here, but do people actually think this amounts to anything? Brack is an okay start, I guess, but it really doesn't feel like removing him is solving much of an issue here. I hope this isn't it.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Guy that nobody liked gets brought in, does a terrible job at Blizzard because that's what he was expected to do, fires a ton of employees, sending the company reputation to the gutter with a ton of bad publicity incidents, so Activision can gain more control. Easily written down as the fall guy, and nothing will change.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Incredible that Kotick was able to use this incident to consolidate his power over Blizzard, especially when you consider the most horrifying allegation in that complaint wasn't even attributed specifically to Blizzard Entertainment.

SanderGT

Banned
Apr 24, 2021
kotaku.com

Activision Blizzard Is Losing Overwatch Sponsors After Lawsuit

T-Mobile appears to have pulled support for the Overwatch and Call of Duty Leagues

"the websites for both the Overwatch League and the Call of Duty Leagues removed reference to T-Mobile at some point in July. On July 21, both sported the T-Mobile logo. By July 31, neither did. The 20th entry period of T-Mobile's Call of Duty sweepstakes has quietly been canceled. What's more, team members for the New York Subliners, a Call of Duty team, appear to have taped over the T-Mobile logo on their jerseys," 🤭

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
kotaku.com

Activision Blizzard Is Losing Overwatch Sponsors After Lawsuit

T-Mobile appears to have pulled support for the Overwatch and Call of Duty Leagues

"the websites for both the Overwatch League and the Call of Duty Leagues removed reference to T-Mobile at some point in July. On July 21, both sported the T-Mobile logo. By July 31, neither did. The 20th entry period of T-Mobile's Call of Duty sweepstakes has quietly been canceled. What's more, team members for the New York Subliners, a Call of Duty team, appear to have taped over the T-Mobile logo on their jerseys," 🤭
Finally a language they'll understand.