• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just got the email giving a few details of the upcoming book from our favorite press sneak.

He goes into a little more detail behind the idea but here's the most relevant part:

Like most stories, Blood, Sweat, and Pixels started with a question: Why are video games so hard to make? Book two asks a darker question: Why is the video game industry so volatile? Why is it that so many people who have worked on video games have "war stories" or trauma as a result? And why is it that for veteran game developers, a phrase as innocuous as "all-hands meeting" can trigger anxiety?

Really looking forward to this. Jason has been a vocal proponent of unionization in gaming for a while now, and peeling back the layers of "why" in a detailed deep dive will hopefully change some minds and shed some light on the subject.

Edit: Jason provided a link to the whole email, so here it is. You can also sign up for updates which is where this originally came from!

Last edited:

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
hey jschreier here's the answer to your book:

800px-Zentralbibliothek_Z%C3%BCrich_Das_Kapital_Marx_1867.jpg

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because short term profits are all that matters. Capitalism 101.

Happy to see Schreier trying to do good work within the industry.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I loved his first book. Hope he writes one with more girth this time around
I think I saw him say he regrets not "going in harder" with regards to crunch, but I might be remembering that wrong.

Either way, first book I think I've ever pre-ordered was his first book (kinda as a joke since he said to do so on a podcast), really looking forward to getting this one too. I saw the alert for this email earlier today, but never got around to actually looking at it.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Very interested in reading this. Blood, Sweat, and Pixels was a great read so I'm in for any future books he makes as long as it's the same quality!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will be looking forward to this. I hope it continues to do deep dives on a few particular development houses and games.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
hey jschreier here's the answer to your book:

800px-Zentralbibliothek_Z%C3%BCrich_Das_Kapital_Marx_1867.jpg
within the capitalist system all methods for raising the social productiveness of labour are brought about at the cost of the individual labourer; all means for the development of production transform themselves into means of domination over, and exploitation of, the producers; they mutilate the labourer into a fragment of a man, degrade him to the level of an appendage of a machine, destroy every remnant of charm in his work and turn it into a hated toil; they estrange from him the intellectual potentialities of the labour process in the same proportion as science is incorporated in it as an independent power; they distort the conditions under which he works, subject him during the labour process to a despotism the more hateful for its meanness; they transform his life-time into working-time, and drag his wife and child beneath the wheels of the Juggernaut of capital

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
within the capitalist system all methods for raising the social productiveness of labour are brought about at the cost of the individual labourer; all means for the development of production transform themselves into means of domination over, and exploitation of, the producers; they mutilate the labourer into a fragment of a man, degrade him to the level of an appendage of a machine, destroy every remnant of charm in his work and turn it into a hated toil; they estrange from him the intellectual potentialities of the labour process in the same proportion as science is incorporated in it as an independent power; they distort the conditions under which he works, subject him during the labour process to a despotism the more hateful for its meanness; they transform his life-time into working-time, and drag his wife and child beneath the wheels of the Juggernaut of capital
Learn how to write in paragraphs, please.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris

This should just be the introduction to whatever Schreier comes up with in this second project.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
I liked the first book a ton. One thing I really wanted though was to follow specific people closer and detail more about their lives. Jason did that very well in the Stardew Valley chapter, but other chapters a dev would say "yeah, crunch got so bad I became so stressed I gained over 15 pounds, the people at Taco Bell starting recognizing me" but then that's all you'd hear from that person. I guess I'm hoping for a bit more depth to game making impacting people.

I hope this book isn't 20 short stories that repeat the same points. "Man crunch is hard huh?" What specifically was hard? Did your boss give you the stink eye when left early one day? Did people talk shit to you on Monday when you left Friday at only 7pm? did you have to throw out 6 months of work because the people up top couldn't make decisions?

Give me 3-4 stories that tell the beginning middle and end instead of the cliffsnotes. Problem is, I image it's suuuuper difficult to get that much information out of people.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first book a ton. One thing I really wanted though was to follow specific people closer and detail more about their lives. Jason did that very well in the Stardew Valley chapter, but other chapters a dev would say "yeah, crunch got so bad I became so stressed I gained over 15 pounds, the people at Taco Bell starting recognizing me" but then that's all you'd hear from that person. I guess I'm hoping for a bit more depth to game making impacting people.
Could not agree more!

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I saw him say he regrets not "going in harder" with regards to crunch, but I might be remembering that wrong.

Either way, first book I think I've ever pre-ordered was his first book (kinda as a joke since he said to do so on a podcast), really looking forward to getting this one too. I saw the alert for this email earlier today, but never got around to actually looking at it.
Not all of the stories were really about that type of crunch either. Like Eric Barone crunched on Stardew Valley for years but it was entirely his project and he saw virtually all the rewards for his labor when the game was a success. That's very different than working a salaried position at a game dev and being pressured to put in 60-80 weeks with very little return on your labor.

Oct 27, 2017
"I would have written this book but Karl Marx beat me to it" Come on now. You're much better served reading William Kingdon Clifford's "The Ethics of Belief" anyways.

Still, this seems like a challenge this time around - the reasons and drivers of volatility in the industry are more known and fit patterns seen in other industries, particularly when it comes to social issues.

But one that is more prevalent in the game industry is "not knowing what the game is". "Not knowing what the product is" in other industries would doom the vast majority of work efforts up front. But with the game industry it's full-speed-ahead anyways. Sometimes the results turn out alright, good even - but at what cost? I wish Jason good luck with the new book!

I also recommend The Mythical Man-Month and Waltzing with Bears, two good reads on where projects in general go off track.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if the talking about marixism is trolling/done ironically or if people are actually that stupid.

Anyway, the obvious answer is that the gaming industry is fucking clown-shoes when it comes to fundamental project management with the lack of accountability and deadlines until its too late. IMO this is easily a much more simple question to answer than in the first book.

E.g how does BioWare get the freedom to work on a game for years without any accountability when it comes to actual deliverables and milestones even in its first year? How did they get so far without fundamentally nailing down the concept and gameplay loop they wanted within the first 18 months (and 18 months is generous)? Is EA to blame for not demanding more accountability from them, or is BioWare for not being actually operating like a company that produces software?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I love his book but jasok is just chewing more than he can bite. The 'volatileness' of the games industry is no more (or less) compared to other industries that dealt with creativity in a large team. Music, movies, tv, comic books, advertisement, etc...

A better question will be why the creative industry is so volatile.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I love his book but jasok is just chewing more than he can bite. The 'volatileness' of the games industry is no more (or less) compared to other industries that dealt with creativity in a large team. Music, movies, tv, comic books, advertisement, etc...

A better question will be why the creative industry is so volatile.
volatility

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
In a nutshell, there's two reasons:
1) Very few games or apps make any money. Very few. The most generous estimate I've heard of is around 1%. If a company has 5% of their games break even, they're doing 5 times better than the average (and still has to figure out how they're going to recoup the cost on the 95% of projects that failed). If you work on a game, there is a single digit percentage that the project will survive and you'll continue to work on it. This is why people are willing to to get crunched by AAA companies, because there's a slightly larger chance that they will actually be a company to work for in the near future. Video game companies drop like flies and for every Cuphead there's hundreds of bankruptcies followed by layoffs. They just don't make the news like the Blizzard layoffs did.

2) Corporations have to compete for capital. It takes money to make money and without someone to invest in your company you're going to be dead in the water. Why would anybody invest in a company that has a single digit percentage of their projects make any money? Because there's a chance that they will churn out a Fortnite. The game industry is high risk and high (but unlikely) reward.

Now if there's company A that gives you a return of x% and a company B that will give you a return of (x+10)%, why would anybody invest in company A? Spoilers: they won't. If your company isn't providing the highest possible returns, investors will put their money in someone who will. There are investors (like people who are just trying to save up for retirement) who invest in non gaming companies that give smaller returns but those companies can provide stable returns which the game industry just cannot provide. The moment the company is not expected to increase equity for its investors, the investors will find someone else who will.

When you see "Company had huge revenues!" headlines, realize that doesn't mean much if you're an investor. Investors want to see a increase in equity and large revenues do not necessarily mean in increase in equity. Activision had more cash/investments at the end of 2014 than 2017 but their stock price was higher in 2017.

Activision, EA, Epic, and other such companies are anomalies in the gaming industry. For every AAA company that's raking it in that are hundreds hanging on by a thread.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Woah, I'm glad to see the propaganda is working.

Well, the code you wrote is not yours but the state's (or 'everyone's' ) so under communism, if there's a demand, the coder himself do not have the luxury to do as he pleased and work according to his schedule.

The idea that communism as the be-all end-all solutions to everyone of our woes and artists can freely expressed themselves as and when they pleased.....is some naive thinking. Communism is susceptible to the same 'demand & supply' rule as capitalism.

Unless u r telling me under communism, all consumers suddenly attained the virtue of every patience and competition suddenly doesn't exists.

When there's consumer demand, there's impatience, where there's competition, there's a race to be the first. Thus crunch.

Im not saying it's right. But the idea that everyone owns their work, can have 100% full control of what he/she do and can release it according to their whim without being affected by consumer pressure (directly or indirectly) under communism is ridiculous.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Well, the code you wrote is not yours but the state's (or 'everyone's' ) so under communism, if there's a demand, the coder himself do not have the luxury to do as he pleased and work according to his schedule.

The idea that communism as the be-all end-all solutions to everyone of our woes and artists can freely expressed themselves as and when they pleased.....is some naive thinking. Communism is susceptible to the same 'demand & supply' rule as capitalism.

Unless u r telling me under communism, all consumers suddenly attained the virtue of every patience and competition suddenly doesn't exists.

When there's consumer demand, there's impatience, where there's competition, there's a race to be the first. Thus crunch.

Im not saying it's right. But the idea that everyone owns their work, can have 100% full control of what he/she do and can release it according to their whim without being affected by consumer pressure (directly or indirectly) under communism is ridiculous.
Why are you talking about communism , when did I bring that up? You just wrote all that for nothing.