Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
I actually didn't consider Stormblood being how it was due to attention being given to FF16 possibly.

Posting in new page:

I think with the FF16 talk, a lot of folks are beginning to learn about Yoshi-P and the team working on the game. A lot of folks also don't really get FF14's significance in Square-Enix. That post asking the user if they liked Final Fantasy on the first page, the user being happy that Nomura, Kitase, etc aren't involved with 16, was interesting...

Here's a good, free documentary detailing about how Final Fantasy 14 went from being one of the lowest points in Square's history to being arguably the game that brought Square back. It's a 3-parter, so I just linked the first video.

Last edited:

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
It's definitely the worst one I come in contact with. Is there a FF you don't like? Well, then it's obviously utter garbage and the creators are total hacks. It's just annoying and I don't even want to read any FF disussions anymore, which is a shame, because I love this franchise.
The one thing I don't like about FF discussions on this board is that a certain subset of individuals feel like they have to talk down to you in regards to Final Fantasy VII or the Remake if you like either game. They try to make you feel stupid for liking a video game instead of just understanding why we like them. They feel betrayed and have to take it out on us. They couldn't respect that many of us liked the Remake and the original. I'm so glad that discourse is over for now.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Such a short announce to release cycle for a mainline FF game almost makes it feel like a shadowdrop.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there is a overlap between FFXII fans and peeps who liked the trailer.
I am not a huge fan of FFXII and for me personally I like it the least of any of the double digit Final Fantasy games. But is is still a good game, and has great voice direction. But I thought Final Fantasy XVI looked brilliant from that first trailer and I am not too hung up on the graphics not being the most groundbreaking. I also really enjoy the grittier take - I hoped 15 would have been grittier from its initial trailers but that one completely changed direction when it went from versus to XV.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he tweeted this a while back? Looks like he expanded on it at least.

It looks to be SE's next big game, so I couldn't see it being that far out. Early 2022 makes sense to me, with the next KH game being late 2022 to early 2023, and VIIR part two 2023 to 2024. Athia is probably somewhere in the middle of these titles.
Why does literally every FF thread need to become hot take city? The FF fan base is the worst one, I swear.
It really is every FF thread. First few pages are filled with trash, the trash take people get bored and filter out, and then some good discussions happen.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
If im not mistaken in the no clip documentary YP straight up says that was one of the main reasons the original xiv bombed.

It was. I didn't play 1.0 but from what I've seen and heard, Square went into 14 with a load of arrogance - wanting a visual treat and assuming their experience with FF11 meant instant credit with FF14.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I mean, it looked like an actual game from the trailer as opposed to a vague idea like what Square Enix usually does. That certainly inspires confidence.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Is it true that Yoshi-P has been critical of SE's over-reliance on visual fidelity?

Yeah he says that during the PS2 era Square became known for having cutting edge visuals and that they became arrogant lol That in itself became a shackle for the company.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
I do not expect this game to be out before the PS5 Slim release like we had with FFXIII / PS3 and FFXV / PS4.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Well that's good that it's releasing sooner rather than later, because it looks dope as fuck. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope it is a late (like Nov) 2021 release so FF7 Remake part two would hit in march 2022 (to cement a 2 year gap between each part) but it's all unclear. I could see SE hoping to hit the late 2021 window but adjusting as needed if more development is required.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I like how "sooner than people think" is a perfectly reasonable and not at all surprising 2022 release date.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
By that do you mean the graphics didn't look all that great? Cos that's kinda what I thought

They mean it actually displayed in game graphics and gameplay and not either a CG tone piece or a target render the console would never actually hit in real gameplay (like XIII and XV's re-reveal)

rude

Oct 25, 2017
so you basically just don't play Final Fantasy games then?
I like 4, 6, 9, 12, 14 and every Tactics game. I'm sure several of them had some type of involvement with one or two of those. I know Kitase was the director of 6, but that doesn't excuse his work after to me. It's time to freshen up this franchise.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It was. I didn't play 1.0 but from what I've seen and heard, Square went into 14 with a load of arrogance - wanting a visual treat and assuming their experience with FF11 meant instant credit with FF14.

Nah, the worst part was a system they introduced: Play-Limiting Fatigue System, which allows you to play certain hrs before you wouldn't get no exp at all, because you shouldnt have advantage over people who dont have much time to play it. I played FFXI and WoW, and this alone killed all my hype for FFXIV.

"The clock will run giving you 8 hours a week of full Experience gaining per class after a 2nd period lasts for 7 hours with characters gaining less and less experience and eventually turns in 0 exp, and that cycles once every 7 days from the moment you start training."

This is how they wanted to start a MMORPG...

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the worst part was a system they introduced: Play-Limiting Fatigue System, which allows you to play certain hrs before you wouldn't get no exp at all, because you shouldnt have advantage over people who dont have much time to play it. I played FFXI and WoW, and this alone killed all my hype for FFXIV.

"The clock will run giving you 8 hours a week of full Experience gaining per class after a 2nd period lasts for 7 hours with characters gaining less and less experience and eventually turns in 0 exp, and that cycles once every 7 days from the moment you start training."

This is how they wanted to start a MMORPG...

Goddamn. I heard of that term but didn't know it was a system that stupid.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I was thinking 2028 so it's releasing in 2026?

Ah, how nice to see folks still desperately cling and have a vice grip on that 10 year timeline when Versus XIII was announced on the PS3 and came out on completely different hardware with different development pipelines and toolsets as FFXV all for the sake to tirelessly regurgitate the same old trite ass joke for the past five years.

This joke wasn't clever the first time was touted and sure as fuck aint clever now.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, how nice to see folks still desperately cling and have a vice grip on that 10 year timeline when Versus XIII was announced on the PS3 and came out on completely different hardware with different development pipelines and toolsets as FFXV all for the sake to tirelessly regurgitate the same old trite ass joke for the past five years.

This joke wasn't clever the first time was touted and sure as fuck aint clever now.

It's boring, honestly. Stopped being funny in 2011 and is overused to the point it should be considered shitposting. Adds nothing to the discussion.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been in development for longer... When they announced FFXIII Versus was renamed to FFXV I assumed that whatever they had already been planning as FFXV simply got bumped into becoming FFXVI.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah i'll give it that. It looked like something we'd actually get to play, unlike the gameplay for FFXV in the city that cut completely from it.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It's boring, honestly. Stopped being funny in 2011 and is overused to the point it should be considered shitposting. Adds nothing to the discussion.

Yeah definitely considered shitposting for sure. It's a unfortunate that every single non-Eidos SE or FF thread is bogged down with this nonsense repeatedly and drags proper discourse for the game down.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't gonna launch FFXIV 6.0 and XVI same year. It's 2022.
They would have if the next XIV expansion came out around summer like it normally does. Then XVI could have launched in holiday 2021. Covid has delayed their patch timeline by 2-3 months, so it probably won't happen now.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Almost all of those folks have involvement in a creative or directorial manner in some shape or form in almost every FF game including ones dated back to the SNES era even, so it comes across as more or less "I hate FF" in general basically.

That's pretty unfair given those names and certain games that have released in the past 10-15 years from Square.

I don't hate the folks, but we gotta be for real in that those names don't inspire a lot of confidence.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Hoping for a cross-gen release if it's 2021. Graphics-wise, for now, it doesn't seem too distant from a PS4/XboxOne game.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
missed the train on this, whats up with the people you listed?
important SE people that have had a grasp on the FF brand for forever. Their most recent work is all awful to me though. Posters on this forum have a tough time handling people who don't care for them though. It's a bit sad lol