Status
Not open for further replies.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Given the budget, scope and importance of Halo, I too have been interested in the internal happenings at 343i and the health of its developers.

I can't imagine the pressure they're under to deliver - but I hope Infinite proves me so wrong.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get some inside info soon.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I heard things are going so badly at 343 Industries that Frank O'Connor is having to step in as a janitor from time to time.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
That will either be a fascinating or uneventful read, and I'm down with either result.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope there's nothing to this - and we shouldn't be presuming anything - but please Microsoft, delay before crunch every time.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
I hope this doesn't fuel the fires
I think most people would prefer to learn the development was troubled than to think it's the best they can do.

Edit: since a few people are talking about the tweet implying is related to some kind of crunch incoming I wanted to make clear that I'm not saying that's what they should do. Just that the project having had some kind of reboot along the way or the engine not producing the expected results would explained a lot and at least open the oportunity for some good updates post launch.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
For me, I found reading about what happened with Anthem more compelling than actually playing it.

I'm sure that won't be the case here and halo will be plenty of fun but I always love getting these unfiltered looks at game dev.

Also has there been any update on Jason's new book? Last I heard it was still slated for 2020.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
jschreier i hope you do Treyarch next

He basically did already.

kotaku.com

The Human Cost Of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4

One Friday afternoon a few weeks ago, the developers at Treyarch held a happy hour event to welcome the summer interns. There was pizza, beer, and jubilation for everyone at the studio behind Call of Duty: Black Ops 4—except the quality assurance testers, who had to leave shortly after they got...

kotaku.com

Sources: Call of Duty 2020 In Upheaval As Treyarch Takes Over, Plans Black Ops 5

Next year’s Call of Duty has gone through a major upheaval, as publisher Activision informed developers this week that studios Raven and Sledgehammer, which had until now led the project, will no longer be in charge. Instead, according to three people familiar with goings-on at the companies...

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I heard things are going so badly at 343 Industries that Frank O'Connor is having to step in as a janitor from time to time.

A photo of this turmoil has been leaked:

HamishBeamish.jpg

/s

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
So what if things are bad with 343 from a code base standpoint?

This eternal need for gossip is just mid boggling imo. Let companies deal with their own internal technical turmoils. This is not a some cause worth talking about in public.

Does no one any good except bring ridicule on current employees and directors.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
By looking at it, Infinite must be a nightmare to work on, I'm pretty interesting to see where all of this goes.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
this really feels like it serves no real purpose but to give more fuel to the people who shit on 343. you know their popcorn is at the ready

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
This doesn't sit right with me

Edit:
Unless it deals with harassment, mistreatment of employees or any serious isssues like what at happened Ubisoft. Thats fine to out them out. But for this reason this is gonna getugly as in the gossip

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Looking forward to it, curious what it's like in studios such as 343/The Coalition where it's just one franchise all the time.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I feel like I missed something. Why are people thinking things are on fire at 343? Is it just because the Infinite footage didn't look as good as hoped?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah he said something like this on his podcast today.

People (not Jason) want this for all the wrong reasons though.
This is going to be my only problem with the story.

I don't think it's bad to be curious about this especially if you feel like things aren't adding up but people are just going to use this for their own personal vendettas.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
lol at calling for Jason to investigate because they heard the code base is outdated, welcome to 90% of tech companies

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Eh. Bringing it up here like this, considering the past week, looks like poor form to me

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
And just like that a group scumbags crossed their collective fingers hoping he would find something to justify their hatred.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I didn't really get the impression that the game is in trouble just because it didn't meet peoples graphical hopes? Looked ready to play and fun to me?

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
this really feels like it serves no real purpose but to give more fuel to the people who shit on 343. you know their popcorn is at the ready

Exactly. Who cares if there was a mis-management. What purpose do such stories even have? Like crunch, workplace toxicity etc.. I get exposing. Mismanagement though? I dont care? It just harms the people working inside the org.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this all feels kind of gross. If there's a terrible culture there that's one thing, but people are really starting to frame these stories in a kind of disgusting way

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I missed something. Why are people thinking things are on fire at 343? Is it just because the Infinite footage didn't look as good as hoped?

Its a premium IP at a pivotal time for the publisher that did not meet expectations in its first major showing close to launch, people want to know why. Not sure why people are acting like looking into this is strange, theres been rumblings for a long time

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
So what if things are bad with 343 from a code base standpoint?

This eternal need for gossip is just mid boggling imo. Let companies deal with their own internal technical turmoils. This is not a some cause worth talking about in public.

Does no one any good except bring ridicule on current employees and directors.

Exactly. I understand reporting on inappropriate behaviour within studios but anything else is detrimental to the studio. If the rumours of bloated codebases and poor management are true, I can't see how Schreier reporting on it has any importance to the general public.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
It's been mentioned by insiders before that Halo Infinite has had a rocky development. Like a long time ago actually.

I think it wouldn't be a Halo game without rocky development. Whether it was Bungie or 343i.

This isn't directed at you — it's a separate point, by the way — Doesn't seem like a legitimate reason to want to pry into their business. Plenty of games have rocky development and Infinite still isn't out yet (though the jury of public opinion seems to be for whatever reason).

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Unfortunately it's hard not to imagine that Jason is interested because he's heard/seen something. Completely aside from anything untoward, I'm quite fascinated by the situation with 343i as a studio that has taken over someone else's franchise and struggled to make it work, and the enormous pressures they face from different groups of fans who all want different and sometimes contradictory things.

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he said something like this on his podcast today.

People (not Jason) want this for all the wrong reasons though.
You could say this about so much shit he's written in the past. Why does anyone want to know what's happening at any studio? If everything is fine people will shut up and move on.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
People seem to have an unhealthy obsession with 343i for all the wrong reasons....

I'm willing to bet no other company with put out a game that has campaign, co-op, multiplayer and forge at the quality of Halo Infinite....this is going to be one very good package.

Status
Not open for further replies.