• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: CONFIRMED
www.halowaypoint.com

Halo Community Update - Familiar Facts

Over the past few weeks we've shared some very important Halo Infinite news, kicked off our Halo 3: ODST flight on PC and Xbox, released lots of fun Halo gear, and so much more. Without further ado, let's jump right in to the latest Community Update!

Last edited:

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
That's great to hear!

I'm also curious what the other game Staten was working on with Microsoft before this changeup. I believe he worked on ReCore & Crackdown 3 prior to this new project.

Context on Staten career

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For context on who he is:

Staten, one of the most renowned figures among Halo fans, started his video game career in the 1990s at Bungie, the studio that created the series. He was responsible for writing, editing and directing cut-scenes on the first three Halo games, which were beloved by fans for their rich characters and universes. He remained at Bungie when the studio split from Microsoft in 2007 and ended its work on Halo, but abruptly departed in 2013, just a year before the launch of Bungie's online sci-fi game Destiny. Staten then rejoined Microsoft in 2014 to work on non-Halo games in the Xbox portfolio. 343 was founded to take over the Halo games after Bungie left.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Joseph Staten has been doing a great work with Publishing Team, I'm sure he can coordenate the complex structure of 343i.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, what? And given that Infinite is supposed to be it for the foreseeable future... why?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone give a rundown of Joseph Staten, eg who he is, and what his development contribution has been to past Halo titles? Not heard of the guy. Or at least I don't recall who he is off the top of my head.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, they're pulling out the big guns. I wonder if this means that the delay will be much longer than just a few months.

Also, get home to voice them grunts again.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Good. Please put someone in there that can make the game the best it can be. I wish it could look like the engine reveal trailer but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Joe was mainly a story guy, wasn't he? Feels like this might be a sign the game has narrative problems on top of everything we've already seen.

Jan 4, 2018
Fantastic news for Halo !!

giphy.gif

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. Halo Infinite is pretty late in development, so I doubt we'll see much influence at first, but I'm curious to see where they go with it.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
How worrying of a state is Halo Infinite in if this happening this far into development... I fear that Joe is being brought in to clean up a mess. I hope I'm wrong though. I'm not sure what happened here behind the scenes.

This sounds eerily close to people brought in for ME Andromeda to just close out the mess.

OP
OP
Milennia

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Joe was mainly a story guy, wasn't he? Feels like this might be a sign the game has narrative problems on top of everything we've already seen.
Yup, feeling I get as well.
I'm not sure how they intend to rework the game in only a year in terms of narrative but if they need to delay it even further for it to be a true Halo platform game then so be it.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
He was one of the major narrative creatives during the original trilogy right? How much of Infinite's narrative could realistically be reworked in a year's time?
Not only would he take on a leadership position in the company to help it get back on track, he could write for the future halo infinite expansions.

hydruxo

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Halo Infinite is pretty late in development, so I doubt we'll see much influence at first, but I'm curious to see where they go with it.

Well they are attempting to use Infinite as a platform for long form storytelling, so he could be a massive help in that regard.