Jun 23, 2019
Been trying to say this for over a day now lol.... seems you are just refusing to be reasonable. Sony and MS are different companies in different positions.

MS has the money to burn, way more of it than sony, they also do not have the market presence in the console hardware space that sony has globally. But they are one of the dominant software providers in the world.

Sony is a hardware company first and a software company second. Selling software on their hardware (closed platform) is their bread and butter as far as the PlayStation business is concerned. They also do not have the kinda resources MS has. But they are the most dominant console brand(arguably with Nintendo) in the world.

Both companies will play to their strengths.

If MS continues directly competing with sony the way they've been doing in a console hardware first model that sony has, they will continue to lose. They simply do not have the userbase to thrive exclusively on selling games to sustain their console business in a way that is satisfactory to their shareholders. This is what necessitated their shift in strategy to something like game pass.

Sony's hand has been forced because they cannot allow game pass grow and create such a gulf between them now that they end up regretting in 4-5 years. However, its not so bad yet that they must react outta desperation.

The current status quo for sony is that games are released at $70, early birds jump in at full price. A few months later, the second wave of buyers jump in, be that buying the game after an official discount (which sony makes money from) or buying in the used market (which sony makes nothing from). Then there is a third wave, in after even more discounts....etc. After a year or two, the game shows up as a PS+ monthly title and then shortly after that, as PS Now title.

What sony is doing, is maintaining the status quo, while at the same time, bolstering the value of the service(s) they ALREADY have and changing how they do things a little. They are merging PS+ with PSnow. This should mean that in addition to being able to download games and play them natively, you should b able to stream games that are not available for download. This also means that there is no need to have staggered releases between services anymore sine there is only one service. It means they can still release their games to retail for the early birds, and offer a service that ensures subscribers get the best discounts on their platform along the course of the year. And if even that is not incentive enough to make them buy, then eventually the game shows up on their service anyways which would at the time offer the cheapest way to play said game. $15.

This is better than what they are doing now, and what they have been doing has worked so far for them.
Can we get a thread mark for this post? This succinctly explains the whole point of Spartacus extremely well.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Been trying to say this for over a day now lol.... seems you are just refusing to be reasonable. Sony and MS are different companies in different positions.

MS has the money to burn, way more of it than sony, they also do not have the market presence in the console hardware space that sony has globally. But they are one of the dominant software providers in the world.

Sony is a hardware company first and a software company second. Selling software on their hardware (closed platform) is their bread and butter as far as the PlayStation business is concerned. They also do not have the kinda resources MS has. But they are the most dominant console brand(arguably with Nintendo) in the world.

Both companies will play to their strengths.

If MS continues directly competing with sony the way they've been doing in a console hardware first model that sony has, they will continue to lose. They simply do not have the userbase to thrive exclusively on selling games to sustain their console business in a way that is satisfactory to their shareholders. This is what necessitated their shift in strategy to something like game pass.

Sony's hand has been forced because they cannot allow game pass grow and create such a gulf between them now that they end up regretting in 4-5 years. However, its not so bad yet that they must react outta desperation.

The current status quo for sony is that games are released at $70, early birds jump in at full price. A few months later, the second wave of buyers jump in, be that buying the game after an official discount (which sony makes money from) or buying in the used market (which sony makes nothing from). Then there is a third wave, in after even more discounts....etc. After a year or two, the game shows up as a PS+ monthly title and then shortly after that, as PS Now title.

What sony is doing, is maintaining the status quo, while at the same time, bolstering the value of the service(s) they ALREADY have and changing how they do things a little. They are merging PS+ with PSnow. This should mean that in addition to being able to download games and play them natively, you should b able to stream games that are not available for download. This also means that there is no need to have staggered releases between services anymore sine there is only one service. It means they can still release their games to retail for the early birds, and offer a service that ensures subscribers get the best discounts on their platform along the course of the year. And if even that is not incentive enough to make them buy, then eventually the game shows up on their service anyways which would at the time offer the cheapest way to play said game. $15.

This is better than what they are doing now, and what they have been doing has worked so far for them.
I'm just debating the pros and cons of various models both from my(a consumer) and Sony's perspective. Nobody knows what exactly will end up happening (of which you seem quite sure of might I add). If Ps now is any indication though, Sony will likely end up half-assing it again instead of a legit service that gives gamepass a run for its money. But I'm willing to bet that they are going to go in a different, far more aggressive direction and ultimately that's what I really want.

So yeah, I guess we'll see.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'm just debating the pros and cons of various models both from my(a consumer) and Sony's perspective. Nobody knows what exactly will end up happening (of which you seem quite sure of might I add). If Ps now is any indication though, Sony will likely end up half-assing it again instead of a legit service that gives gamepass a run for its money. But I'm willing to bet that they are going to go in a different, far more aggressive direction and ultimately that's what I really want.

So yeah, I guess we'll see.
Why I seem sure? is that I am not making any of that up. Everything I just listed out is already happening. Albeit in a disjointed way across multiple theatres and services. Here;

• The game is released at $70
  • with 3-6 months, get discounts and in the same timeframe, show up in the used market.
  • as more time passes, more discounts pop up, and prices in the used market continue to fall.
  • The game shows up on PS+ as a monthly title. Usually happens 12 - 24 months after release.
  • The game shows up on PS Now. You can stream games on PS now, or you can download them and play them locally n supported hardware. Usually 18 - 36 months after release. This also can coincide with the time they make a PC version of the game if they are making one.
That's the Playstation cycle, and it's been the case for well over 6 years. So the question is this, what does a service look like that merges PS+ with PS Now, with the stand-out exception that it does not offer day 1 releases while trying to incentivize people to pay for it?

• offer sub perk of a discount for new releases.
  • shorten the wait time between release and when the game becomes available on the service.
  • Increase the number of games on the service for people to play.
That's it. It's as simple a that, and that's really the only thing they can do or need to do. If they do any more than that, that's just a bonus to what is already the status quo for them. I won't be surprised if sony drops the ball on this somehow (they kinda have a knack for that), but its them going in the right direction.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Interesting to see how this goes

Price and content will be a major factor, Sony has content on lock, they could choose to add all 1st party or "selected" titles only on day one and still come out good.
Price tho, that's a major one, I don't think they'll compete with Microsoft ridiculous pricing, tough to.

Anyways, this has been in the pot for years now, ever since they signed the deal with MS using azure. Hopefully it comes out good and gamers are happy

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Why I seem sure? is that I am not making any of that up. Everything I just listed out is already happening. Albeit in a disjointed way across multiple theatres and services. Here;

• with 3-6 months, get discounts and in the same timeframe, show up in the used market.
  • as more time passes, more discounts pop up, and prices in the used market continue to fall.
  • The game shows up on PS+ as a monthly title. Usually happens 12 - 24 months after release.
  • The game shows up on PS Now. You can stream games on PS now, or you can download them and play them locally n supported hardware. Usually 18 - 36 months after release. This also can coincide with the time they make a PC version of the game if they are making one.
That's the Playstation cycle, and it's been the case for well over 6 years. So the question is this, what does a service look like that merges PS+ with PS Now, with the stand-out exception that it does not offer day 1 releases while trying to incentivize people to pay for it?

• shorten the wait time between release and when the game becomes available on the service.
That's it. It's as simple a that, and that's really the only thing they can do or need to do. If they do any more than that, that's just a bonus to what is already the status quo for them. I won't be surprised if sony drops the ball on this somehow (they kinda have a knack for that), but its them going in the right direction.

They also need to leave the first party games on there permanently, which it doesn't look like they do on PS Now at first glance.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Honestly, they don't have to do day 1 titles, but if they commit to say 6-9 month old first party titles being on there, this will be super successful.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020

At the bare minimum, we will see if Sony is really serious about this imo if they do the following

1) all first party titles (base game) for ps4 and ps5 released till 2021 available at launch (of course, this will include things like Returnal but not HZD and Ragnarok). PS5 enhancements available for eligible PS4 titles
2) No rotating windows for first party titles on the service. Once its in, its in
3) an expectation that all first party would be on the service in some time window (maybe its 3 months for 'flops', maybe its 1 year for 'hits')

This would mean that it would compete with the used market as well as the Greatest Hits label they used to have

Would I pay for that even if it doesnt compete with GP? I would very strongly consider it.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is, but we have to see the details. At minimum it appears Plus+Now. Maybe if they made this last year I would not change to Xbox, but I am fine with the console and gamepass, so nothing was lost.
I have plus until 30/12/2022 so if it's possible to convert to the new service I will be able to play some games via streaming. I hope that in the future It's possible to subscribe it for a month and play PS Exclusives (even if not day one) via streaming.

I mean as described by the information in this thread it will be something like Plus+Now with more competitive third party offers. Last time I had checked Now library was larger than Game pass but Game Pass seemed to offer more recent games, so if they can compete there in terms of more recent releases then it will likely be an attractive service to a lot of people. Sony games currently do end up on Now, although their releases there seem arbitrary in terms of time from release to being added to Now, but I do assume their games will eventually end up on this new service too.

I feel all in all it's a good move. Too late for the likes you, but the average consumer will probably be happy with the service.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Will Sony deliver a software update that can read and recognize PS1/PS2 discs I insert into my PS5 and allow me to download digital copies of those games? I would include PS3 games in this hypothetical, but it seems like Sony would much rather remake/remaster sections of their PS3 library rather than build a PS3 emulator, and I can't blame them for that call considering how annoying PS3 architecture is.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
At the bare minimum, we will see if Sony is really serious about this imo if they do the following

1) all first party titles (base game) for ps4 and ps5 released till 2021 available at launch (of course, this will include things like Returnal but not HZD and Ragnarok). PS5 enhancements available for eligible PS4 titles
2) No rotating windows for first party titles on the service. Once its in, its in
3) an expectation that all first party would be on the service in some time window (maybe its 3 months for 'flops', maybe its 1 year for 'hits')

This would mean that it would compete with the used market as well as the Greatest Hits label they used to have

Would I pay for that even if it doesnt compete with GP? I would very strongly consider it.
Yup. I could see it being that way. At least it's the only way it makes sense. Anything less than that and well... they are being sony I guess. The real bonus for them is where it puts them with the used market.

Something like this would be a Godsend for someone like me, I am all digital, so I don't buy used games and PS store discounts can take a while. I do, however, hardly ever buy anything on day 1 either usually wait as much as a year for prices to ht what I am comfortable paying. With exception of one or two games each year that I buy day 1. Hell, in my 6 years of owning a PS4, the only gams I bought on day one were Tekken 7, GT sport, H:ZD, GOW, and FF15. I bought everything else, including first-party games at least 6 - 18 months later.

Will Sony deliver a software update that can read and recognize PS1/PS2 discs I insert into my PS5 and allow me to download digital copies of those games? I would include PS3 games in this hypothetical, but it seems like Sony would much rather remake/remaster sections of their PS3 library rather than build a PS3 emulator, and I can't blame them for that call considering how annoying PS3 architecture is.
I strongly doubt that.

First of all, s far as PS1/PS2 games go, if support is in, it would be heavily curated. So t would be whatever they add onto the service people can play. As for PS3 games, I expect that to be strictly streaming-based. I will be surprised if there is a native player. PS4 and PS5 games will have a download option if you are on supported hardware and a stream option if you are not. PS5 game streams may not be there at service launch.

Last edited:

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I strongly doubt that.

First of all, s far as PS1/PS2 games go, if support is in, it would be heavily curated. So t would be whatever they add onto the service people can play.

Well of course, anything in their backwards compatible initiative before PS4 is going to have to heavily curated by necessity. What I'm asking is, will they go the extra mile to allow me to insert a disc for one of those selected games, and download a copy of it? For example, I can insert my disc copy of Ninja Gaiden Black on Xbox Series X and download a digital emulated version of it. Will Sony take a similar approach and let me insert (for example) my original disc copy of Ape Escape and download an emulated version of it?

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Curious if this will result in Microsoft ramping up acquisition efforts.

Well of course, anything in their backwards compatible initiative before PS4 is going to have to heavily curated by necessity. What I'm asking is, will they go the extra mile to allow me to insert a disc for one of those selected games, and download a copy of it? For example, I can insert my disc copy of Ninja Gaiden Black on Xbox Series X and download a digital emulated version of it. Will Sony take a similar approach and let me insert (for example) my original disc copy of Ape Escape and download an emulated version of it?

This is unrealistic. Heck it's also unrealistic to you'll be able to play all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games. Licensing is a big issue, Xbox ran into that problem and Sony definitely will. So I think its best to keep your expectations in check on the BC catalogue.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's highly unlikely if Sony has an emulation solution, it will be similar to the one Xbox has used that would allow using a Playstation disc as a key to download a digital version in an individually configured emulator wrapper.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PS3 and PSVita emulation are what I want the most. So I assume those are the two that will not be available. :P

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They should do a kaz hirai ridge racer callback when they announce it. In fact, I'll be dissapointed if they don't.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
This is unrealistic. Heck it's also unrealistic to you'll be able to play all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games. Licensing is a big issue, Xbox ran into that problem and Sony definitely will. So I think its best to keep your expectations in check on the BC catalogue.

I just said the library would obviously be heavily curated. No one has the expectation of all PS1/PS2 games coming forward.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be okay with no day 1 titles if they gave a discount instead. Imagine $50 for a 1st party game instead of $70. Plus that way you get to own the game.

I'm 100% they won't do that though.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be okay with no day 1 titles if they gave a discount instead. Imagine $50 for a 1st party game instead of $70. Plus that way you get to own the game.

Sure, they could do that. I would guess a less exciting discount, though. 5 or 10 bucks.

I'd be cool with the big games landing on there like a year later. Most often, I don' try their games until they've been dropping in price for about a year, anyhow.

Oct 28, 2017

I think one problem with that as a rule, is that the comparison to Game Pass becomes even more obvious and makes it easy for Microsoft to go in it in their marketing: "Sony just gives a measly discount, here you get the games for free", etc.

I think Sony will try to focus on how PS NOW gives you access to 800+ games immediately, which you don't even have to download. And maybe how it'll be across all generations of PlayStation, if that rumor comes true.

Mex_Exile

Alt account
Banned
Nov 23, 2021
They've already done that a few times on PS+ already so it wouldn't be surprising.

This needs to happen 100%. Games like Kena, Solar Ash and Heavily Bodies could release straight to a service. Microsoft manage to get Outriders and Back 4 Blood as well, Sony needs to go after these type of deals.
I agree with you both. I think there is a bigger deal to be made with deals with PS to be put on this service?

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I think one problem with that as a rule, is that the comparison to Game Pass becomes even more obvious and makes it easy for Microsoft to go in it in their marketing: "Sony just gives a measly discount, here you get the games for free", etc.

I think Sony will try to focus on how PS NOW gives you access to 800+ games immediately, which you don't even have to download. And maybe how it'll be across all generations of PlayStation, if that rumor comes true.
It's hard to say something like that when you don't have a AAA Wolverine and Spider-Man game. That's not a dig, but just to point out the differences in their first party. Sony can't something like that either cause they don't have an Elder Scrolls anymore; a AAA western Rpg. I think the focus will be customer retention and attracting core fans first.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I agree with you both. I think there is a bigger deal to be made with deals with PS to be put on this service?

I think it might be easier. On Plus the game will be always available as long the person has the subscription... on Game Pass and PS Now, devs and publishers can put a date for the game to be removed the moment they sign the deal.

Mex_Exile

Alt account
Banned
Nov 23, 2021
I think it might be easier. On Plus the game will be always available as long the person has the subscription... on Game Pass and PS Now, devs and publishers can put a date for the game to be removed the moment they sign the deal.
You hit the nail on the head, i also think it will make 3rd party deals easier too. If PlayStation is smart with this subscription they will make a LOT $$$ and more deals and studios on board.

Imagine a Kena 2 on PS5/PC/This service, sells itself.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Sony customized the blu-ray drive in the PS5 to remove the CD laser modern blu-ray drives normally have. It appears Sony's so hostile towards disc support they wanted to make sure any future execs couldn't change their mind and support PS1 games on at least the first two models of PS5.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
This needs to happen 100%. Games like Kena, Solar Ash and Heavily Bodies could release straight to a service. Microsoft manage to get Outriders and Back 4 Blood as well, Sony needs to go after these type of deals.

For clarity, here's the past year of PS+ games:

2021-11
  • Knockout City
  • First Class Trouble
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (PS4)
  • The Persistence (PS VR)
  • The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners (PS VR)
  • Until You Fall (PS VR)
2021-10
  • Hell Let Loose (PS5)
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • PGA Tour 2K21
2021-09
  • Overcooked: All You Can Eat! (PS5)
  • Predator: Hunting Grounds
  • Hitman 2
2021-08
  • Hunter's Arena: Legends
  • Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborvillk
  • Tennis World Tour 2
2021-07
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  • WWE 2K Battlegrounds
2021-06
  • Operation: Tango (PS5)
  • Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown
  • Star Wars: Squadrons
2021-05
  • Wreckfest: Drive Hard, Die Last (PS5)
  • Battlefield V
  • Stranded Deep
2021-04
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm (PS5)
  • Days Gone
  • Zombie Army 4: Dead War
2021-03
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  • Maquette (PS5)
  • Destruction AllStars
  • Remnant: From the Ashes
  • Farpoint
2021-02
  • Destruction AllStars (PS5)
  • Control: Ultimate Edition
  • Concrete Genie
2021-01
  • Maneater (PS5)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Greedfall
2020-12
  • Worms Rumble
  • Just Cause 4
  • Rocket Arena
2020-11
  • Bugsnax
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of War
  • Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition

From that list the new titles and ones with next gen upgrade releases seem to be:

Bugsnax
Worms Rumble
Maneater
Destruction AllStars
Control: Ultimate Edition
Maquette
Oddword: Soulstorm
Wreckfest: Drive Hard, Die Last
Operation Tango
Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Hell Let Loose

I may have missed some, I'm just trying to type this quickly while working, heh

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, gamepass is a big hit and a lot of publishers now already have the expectation of launching a game on a sub service.

A rebranding of PS Now is also required. A lot of confusion about what the service is and how it's changed, which is a good thing.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I have a little trouble believing that rumor about hundreds of legacy games. On the other hand, I think they would need a vast amount like that for a vc style thing to make a big splash.

Yeah who remembers speculating about how awesome wii vc was going to be before the reality hit. A trickle of games priced just a bit on the high side. Stringing out the most wanted ones. Ugh. I was so optimistic that we were going to have this comprehensive backlog of games, and then a few months later im playing super star soldier...

C'mon, sony. Do the virtual console we wanted.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
From that list the new titles and ones with next gen upgrade releases seem to be:

Bugsnax
Worms Rumble
Maneater
Destruction AllStars
Control: Ultimate Edition
Maquette
Oddword: Soulstorm
Wreckfest: Drive Hard, Die Last
Operation Tango
Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Hell Let Loose

I may have missed some, I'm just trying to type this quickly while working, heh

Yeah, and that's something Jim Ryan said that Sony was looking to continue doing. I just hope that there's more and with better quality (nothing against those in the list, by the way)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, and that's something Jim Ryan said that Sony was looking to continue doing. I just hope that there's more and with better quality (nothing against those in the list, by the way)

Yeah, I've maintained for a while that PS Now has been in a holding pattern while they work on developing its next iteration, but this news now tells me that PS+ may have also been in a holding pattern and was just biding time until Spartacus arrived.

I do have to wonder if Sony may have wanted this service to launch with the PS5 or very soon afterwards and the pandemic delayed it. We know PS Now expansion to more countries got delayed last year due to the pandemic, so it's reasonable to assume this was also delayed.

Can't wait to see what this turns out to be.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
Sony customized the blu-ray drive in the PS5 to remove the CD laser modern blu-ray drives normally have. It appears Sony's so hostile towards disc support they wanted to make sure any future execs couldn't change their mind and support PS1 games on at least the first two models of PS5.

Well that's depressing. Thank you for answering my hypothetical though! A lot of people seemed oddly hostile towards the idea.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I think they did it in order to reduce costs rather then some elaborate plan to prevent future PS1 BC lol.

I mean no one is so petty especially if they somehow left the company and want to ingrain said pettiness as a irreversible hurdle.

I mean what would stop future Sony from ever having future PS5s or Slim/Pro models to have said CD laser reader? I am not saying it will happen but you'd think that conundrum would pop in during said people's plan to prevent PS1 support.

tris20

Aug 25, 2020
Saw that now is 45 euro. For a year. (Netherlands) till the 9th.

Think I'll bite.
Have seen some reviews from last month and they where positive overall. Sure when you download a game it's way better. But when connected to ethernet and fast isp it should be great.

Don't know what you guys think who use it?

If they merge this and plus. It would be great to counter gamepass. Sony sure need to step up there game. They sell enough I know. But the radio silence is killing.
O and an bloodborne patch please 🙏

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I think they did it in order to reduce costs rather then some elaborate plan to prevent future PS1 BC lol.

I mean no one is so petty especially if they somehow left the company and want to ingrain said pettiness as a irreversible hurdle.

I mean what would stop future Sony from ever having future PS5s or Slim/Pro models to have said CD laser reader? I am not saying it will happen but you'd think that conundrum would pop in during said people's plan to prevent PS1 support.

The main reason I wonder about cost reduction is every model of PS4 shipped with a CD laser according to the same safety guides, including the PS4 Pro which was designed and built after it was very clear they weren't doing anything with CDs. It apparently wasn't worth the trouble to omit the laser then. And yes, they were just carrying over the drive from the regular PS4 which is why it couldn't handle UHD blu-rays, but that still points to omitting the CD laser not being worth much trouble. It's likely a commodity part and everything else uses all three lasers, so I'd be surprised if they're saving much if anything by having a custom part. And if they're making a custom part, why not ditch the DVD laser too? Are a lot of people watching DVD discs on PS5s? The whole thing is weird.

As for making a later revision of PS5 that does have the CD laser, sure, they could do that. Whatever set of executives that does that will have to deal with explaining why the first 20 million or so PS5s with disc drives that have sold can't read the discs, so the annoyance factor to existing customers makes it harder for future teams to make that decision.

Since Spartacus is an online subscription, if the laser is present but disabled, they could simply unlock the laser for subscribers and update the online safety guide (since it apparently matters to them). I'd feel silly since I'm about the only person that's paid attention to them, but I won't really care since I still own a bunch of discs. I'm fully prepared to make the "Sony adds laser to disc models of PS5 with firmware update" thread. :) But why wouldn't Sony just leave the safety guide like they did with the PS4?

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Yup, thought I had heard something similar a while back, really unfortunate.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Are you comparing PlayStation to Blockbuster?

Nope not at all. I'm saying people were like "yeah right, streaming movies? Lol that'll never happen". Subscription based services and streaming services are going to take up a massive portion of the market over the next decade. The gamepass model is currently far and away the best one there is and they're dominating mindshare in that regard.

eggroll

Apr 18, 2021
It's astonishing to see this take coming through everytime.
cool

This is a ridiculous sentiment.
1) Halo Infinite and it's $500m budget exists
2) Just do the math. If you have 50m subs at an average of just 8 dollars a month, you have subsided the cost of Halo Infinite in 36 days.
3) Game subs are going to move beyond the boxes in the future.
1) loss-leading, and huge potential for MTX on the F2P front
2) you do realize that 50m subs is actually a huge number, probably unattainable ? PS4 sold extremely well, and PS+ is required for multiplayer, and they STILL haven't hit that
3) PC and mobile, right ? Remains to be seen

So, you think games like Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Fable, Indiana Jones ecc... won't be big productions like TLOU2?
loss-leading, spending to gain market share, very (very) deep pockets. Sony isn't capable of doing the same, and Microsoft will change things in the future unless sub numbers become very high, at least double the ~25m current ones (either price hike or less costly games). With current sub numbers it's simply impossible to see the quantity & quality of games PS Studios have released on PS4 added to a big catalog.

---
Here's an interesting interview with someone who knows a thing or two about this (although I think the 500M number is a bit of an exaggeration. but the point stands)
www.vg247.com

Game Pass can't sustain $120M games until it has 500M subscribers, says former PlayStation boss Shawn Layden

There is a way to expand the games audience to support the rising costs of the biggest games, but Shawn Layden doesn't think Game Pass is it.

Last edited:

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
Ok so my PS Plus membership ends in december 2023, if I want to upgrade to the merger package I supposed I'm just gonna have to pay the difference right?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Here's an interesting interview with someone who knows a thing or two about this (although I think the 500M number is a bit of an exaggeration. but the point stands)
www.vg247.com

Game Pass can't sustain $120M games until it has 500M subscribers, says former PlayStation boss Shawn Layden

There is a way to expand the games audience to support the rising costs of the biggest games, but Shawn Layden doesn't think Game Pass is it.
Honestly reads like nonsense.

Game Pass at 500 million subscribers would be a $60 billlion dollar plus business at the end of the year. Do we seriously think that this is what Microsoft or any other publisher out there needs before they can bankroll a AAA game?

eggroll

Apr 18, 2021

Game Pass at 500 million subscribers would be a $60 billlion dollar plus business at the end of the year. Do we seriously think that this is what Microsoft or any other publisher out there needs before they can bankroll a AAA game?
Like I said I obviously disagree with the number (I really think he's exaggerating, not giving actual actionable numbers). I do agree with the point.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020

Because it is nonsense. These "how can it be profitable" takes have been happening since Gamepass was announced. Xbox has stated gamepass is already profitable.

Oct 26, 2017
Like I said I obviously disagree with the number (I really think he's exaggerating, not giving actual actionable numbers). I do agree with the point.
More of a miscalculation I think.
You obviously don't need 10x PlayStation's total annual revenue to run gamepass. What he might have meant is 500 million dollars and messed up his figure. That would be over 40M accounts which is more realistic.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox has stated gamepass is already profitable.

No they haven't. They have said sustainable which means it is losing an expected amount of money for this point in its life and is on track to become profitable down the road and the length of time that will take is part of the plan.

Also profitable for gamepass is make more money then selling games individually, not an absolute are they in the black or not.

Last edited: