Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's fine imo. That thread really buried the lead. There is a very different discussion going on in that thread.

Yeah it's kinda weird that users considered the most important part of the article some paragraphs near the end about how a cultivated culture of harassment and assault seeped into their products, rather than the harassment and assault. The story already has a direct link with video games, they didn't need to whittle it down further.

Honestly the only conclusion I can draw is that they only cared about how Ubi's crimes directly impacted their gaming rather than the victims.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Quick reminder that according to Libération, Ubisoft still intended on working with Serge Hascoet on a freelance capacity even after his resignation.

together with
"Ubisoft remains a family business, though. The company replaced Mallat last week with Christophe Derennes, another veteran employee. Derennes is the Guillemots' cousin, according to three employees."

it all really reeks of Nepotism.

Jun 13, 2020
Yeah it's kinda weird that users considered the most important part of the article some paragraphs near the end about how a cultivated culture of harassment and assault seeped into their products, rather than the harassment and assault.
To be honest I would close that thread and only leave this one. It's ridiculous that the other one has way more comments, too. I don't know what the user who made that thread was thinking.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's kinda weird that users considered the most important part of the article some paragraphs near the end about how a cultivated culture of harassment and assault seeped into their products, rather than the harassment and assault. The story already has a direct link with video games, they didn't need to whittle it down further.

Honestly the only conclusion I can draw is that they only cared about how Ubi's crimes impacted them rather than the victims.

My thoughts exactly. There is more discussion about the lead in Assassin's Creed than the rampant sex abuse culture. I've actually lost some hope.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
My thoughts exactly. There is more discussion about the lead in Assassin's Creed than the rampant sex abuse culture. I've actually lost some hope.

yep, really sad...the thread is now about Kassandra and women characters in video games instead of whats going on at Ubisoft...which is the reason Jason wrote the article in the first place.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Anyone in a position of authority who knows about sexual misconduct or other harassment and has the power to do something about it, but doesn't, is absolutely complicit in that misconduct or harassment.

Last edited:

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't used Uplay in ages and I am not sure of the last Ubisoft game I played. But I went and deleted my Ubisoft account and will be conciously avoid their games from now on. Too bad it wouldn't let me put in a reason for account deletion. Adding Ubisoft on the list next to Blizzard.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
So I was right in calling him Maxime Bellend back when he took over Splinter Cell, he's even worse. What a horrible person.

The Toronto office was especially problematic, six current or former employees there say. The studio was run by Maxime Béland, his wife, Rima Brek, and another husband-and-wife management team. Brek served for a time as interim director of HR, the people there say. Two women who reported incidents to Brek and other HR representatives in Toronto say they felt ostracized afterward and were labeled as troublemakers. Brek didn't respond to requests for comment.​
Béland was a trusted lieutenant of the creative chief. He was also known for his quick temper and a tendency to scream at subordinates during meetings, say four people who worked in the office. Two of those people say they saw Béland touch women inappropriately at holiday parties and other work events. Béland was also accused of choking an employee at a party, according to the video game website Kotaku. The choking story was regularly shared among staff in Toronto, say the people who worked there, as a warning about the executive. Béland didn't respond to multiple requests for comment.​

splintercell-conviction-maxime_vdj9.620.jpg

bellend is right. How does someone choke another human being in any context let alone at a work-related event and get away with it like this?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a horrible fucking culture that Ubisoft management and HR have cultivated. Root them both out.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
By 2019, though, there were signs Hascoët was losing his creative magic. Ubisoft released two big flops: The Division 2, an online game that failed to meet sales expectations despite critical acclaim, and Ghost Recon Breakpoint, a tactical shooter that was widely panned. Ubisoft had developed a reputation, in large part because of Hascoët, for releasing games with similar tropes: large, open-world environments giving the player a list of tasks to accomplish and checkpoints to clear. By the end of last year, Ubisoft's stock declined more than 40% from its high a year earlier.​
As a result of these failures, the company overhauled the editorial department, elevating seven vice presidents reporting to Hascoët. The goal was to distribute Hascoët's power and diversify the games, employees say. All seven vice presidents were men. Béland and François were among those promoted, despite a history of misconduct complaints.​
As horrendous as all of this is, the silver lining is that Ubi will finally be forced to embrace workplace gender equality, and we should see a lot of women step into these editorial positions.

I'm glad journalists aren't letting this story slide and continue piling on the pressure to make sure this happens. Just ridiculous that it took all of this negative PR to make it happen, rather than current leadership and HR possessing a shred of human dignity and acting on the problems themselves. We should finally start seeing some really positive changes at this company though, and I'm optimistic about that.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
bellend is right. How does someone choke another human being in any context let alone at a work-related event and get away with it like this?

Rainmakers are generally given a longer leash in any industry. That's how the corporate world has worked for decades. We are only now starting to see meaningful change.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Jason is killing it with these articles. I just wish the industry was better so he didn't have to report on shit like this.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
As horrendous as all of this is, the silver lining is that Ubi will finally be forced to embrace workplace gender equality, and we should see a lot of women step into these editorial positions.

I'm glad journalists aren't letting this story slide and continue piling on the pressure to make sure this happens. Just ridiculous that it took all of this negative PR to make it happen, rather than current leadership and HR possessing a shred of human dignity and acting on the problems themselves. We should finally start seeing some really positive changes at this company though, and I'm optimistic about that.

What a joke. Take a look at the employment ratio by gender in that article.

Gender equality is impossible.

Even if you meant to say gender equity based on what we know about Ubisoft now that still isn't happening either even after their reforms. The leadership is intrinsically influenced by the Guillomes.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was very obvious that they put that in the first Assassin's Creed game because it was set in Syria, and they were scared of backlash from Muslims with the reframing of the Knights Templar.
See, I thought they were afarid of backlash that you play as Muslim assassin killing Christian invaders.
Probably it was both.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
God damn, what a horrible company. This absolutely puts the nail in the coffin for my interest in any Ubisoft games, no way I'll be giving them money again until we see this fixed.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Again, boycotting hurts employees. Sackings and no bonuses are usually the outcome of a game not selling. The higher ups keep their job.

This using the victims of abuse as a shield to protect the abusers has to stop.

Most employees will not be on bonuses, thats a luxury for those in senior/management roles and if you look at the last five or so years of AAA company behavior even record breaking profits will not protect the average employees job. So boycotting the game will have no impact on the average employee.

However if the games sales are down because of the abuse the shareholder will demand change and remove ones at the top, with big companies the only thing that can hurt them is taking away their earnings.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Again, boycotting hurts employees. Sackings and no bonuses are usually the outcome of a game not selling. The higher ups keep their job.

Boycotting is difficult to quantify but the claim is born from heavy disapproval and negative sentiment. No company wants those things. I think when you have a situation of such extreme abuse as what has been green lit by Ubisoft management, a boycott sentiment is just and in the long run would certainly help current and future employees much more than hurt them. Again it's hard to know how many actually do boycott but it's the negativity that erode's the brand and prompts change. Well, you hope it prompts change.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
Great reporting. Hopefully this spreads to other outlets.

Ubisoft should not be able to get away with this.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Damn.....

Until they get their shit together and all these shitheels leave the company for good I think I am done with ubisoft. I cant support this.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Boycotting and raising awareness are some of the only tools consumers have to make their disgust and criticism known of a company. I don't think it's right to use employees as a shield for criticising boycotts.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished reading this, holy crap. The entire organization's culture sounds like a boys club and protecting and promoting friends despite their bad conduct.

It really makes me think massive changes need to happen at Ubisoft, and with the current executive leadership it's hard to imagine full sweeping changes coming.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I was right in calling him Maxime Bellend back when he took over Splinter Cell, he's even worse. What a horrible person.

The Toronto office was especially problematic, six current or former employees there say. The studio was run by Maxime Béland, his wife, Rima Brek, and another husband-and-wife management team. Brek served for a time as interim director of HR, the people there say. Two women who reported incidents to Brek and other HR representatives in Toronto say they felt ostracized afterward and were labeled as troublemakers. Brek didn't respond to requests for comment.​
Béland was a trusted lieutenant of the creative chief. He was also known for his quick temper and a tendency to scream at subordinates during meetings, say four people who worked in the office. Two of those people say they saw Béland touch women inappropriately at holiday parties and other work events. Béland was also accused of choking an employee at a party, according to the video game website Kotaku. The choking story was regularly shared among staff in Toronto, say the people who worked there, as a warning about the executive. Béland didn't respond to multiple requests for comment.​

splintercell-conviction-maxime_vdj9.620.jpg
...fuck, Sam slapping Grimsdottir now has a new context.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding boycotts, I don't think anyone wants to be in a position where they feel like they're financially supporting corporate behavior they don't support. Saying that it hurts workers at the company you're boycotting is essentially saying that boycotts can never be an effective tactic, since it's nearly impossible to boycott something in a way that only hurts the people at the top and doesn't affect the broad base of workers at the bottom.

That said, maybe that's just as much an argument AGAINST boycotts as FOR them, I don't know. At the very least, it seems unlikely to me that a boycott can work without some form of support, like an information campaign or mass disapproval. I think a lot of people, myself included, engage in personal boycotts out of a frustration of having very little real power to effect change. I mean, on this very forum the well-documented Ubisoft allegations are nevertheless failing to gain much traction. If public opinion can't be swayed, what's left except to stop financially supporting the thing you feel is acting unjustly, even if ultimately Ubisoft won't miss the $60 bucks you'd normally throw at their video game?

Back to the story: this feels like a major problem with businesses that pride themselves on feeling like a big family, where loyalty and trust are paramount. Seems like it creates incentives to stick by people who have stuck with you for a long time or through tough times, even if they turn out to be problematic. Hascoët was around from the very beginning, probably hired by one of the Guillemots themselves. How do you oust someone like that from your company? Even for a well-run company it seems like a difficult thing; for a place like Ubisoft I'm not surprised people felt like he was untouchable, having secured his position early and gained the trust of the only people who could do anything about his abuse.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Jason continues to be a great journalist, here's hoping more in the industry are able to come along.

Ubisoft's conduct is disgraceful, and the Guillemots need to go for any substantial changes to occur, what is going on is not sustainable, nor is it acceptable. I don't buy Ubisoft's games all that much anyway so boycotting them will just be me carrying on as is, and I hope others boycott it too.

However I think the real impact will have to come from within the organisation, many brave people have told their stories which is how we know about this horrible stuff, and it's going to take a whole lot more people to completely dismantle this boy's club. Unionise, strike, whatever it takes to get it done. Nobody deserves to work under fear.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I'd red bits and pieces of the french reports good to have a more comprehensive overview in English and wow

What an amazingly disgusting company.

Conducting meetings in a strip should have had everyone involved hauled over the coals the first time that happened.

In 2015 a group of staff in Sofia, Bulgaria, were watching a trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens featuring the actor John Boyega, who's Black. According to Fey Vercuiel, a former designer on the team: "People just collectively went, 'Hey, look, it's a monkey.'"

I mean really.

Last edited:

Dijital_Majik

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was very obvious that they put that in the first Assassin's Creed game because it was set in Syria, and they were scared of backlash from Muslims with the reframing of the Knights Templar.

The diversity message at the start of the games was a two-way street (and in light ot recent events; a load of bollocks it seems).

I don't think any Muslims would have a problem with the portrayal of the Knight's Templar as the antagonists. Deus Vult types would be more likely to backlash that one. I do remember the book that was to accompany the first game being cancelled because the Isma'ilis, "decendents of the real-life Assassins", were unhappy just before the game's launch or something along those lines though. I don't know if that was just marketing or what, but I remember that members of the dev team on message boards seemed pretty spooked by it at the time.

I remember also having a (dispondant) chuckle that, as Ubi being the ultimate fence-sitters, made sure to point out that Altair's mother was Christian, presumably because the "war on terror" was ongoing, and "Muslims (as the good guy) don't sell", and didn't want to face that backlash either.

Unfortunatly, everything that Schreier is reporting doesn't surprise me. Ubi has been, for me, the foremost publisher when it comes to modern faceless corporate doublespeak, profits over people, and "Words, not deeds" (in a space rife with it).

PetyrBaeless

Apr 3, 2019
I find the "what-aboutism" going on in this thread at times very puzzling.

Glad the people stoking that shit are being banned.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This really really stinks.The sooner these cunty little boys clubs are broken up and booted out, the better. This is a brilliant argument for why diversity quotas are such a good thing.

I won't be buying Ubisoft again without evidence of some serious, meaningful change. I think Yves Guillemot should be considering his position.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
That's a really great read by Jason Schreier, really well done.

The chart showing the gender disparity was stunning to me, as was the "monkey" comment. Just...wow.

I haven't purchased a Ubisoft game in many years and don't think I will in the future.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah at this point Ubisoft's games need to be an a blacklist here, this situation is far worse than any of the games that have been previously blacklisted.

What a garbage company.