• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

Warner Media has quietly delayed a video game based on the Suicide Squad comic books until 2023, according to people familiar with its development.

Several other big video game projects from Warner Bros. have also been pushed back. Titles based on Harry Potter, Batman and a LEGO version of Star Wars were all planned for 2021 but slipped into this year due to production problems caused by the pandemic and other development challenges. Warner Bros. had originally said that the Suicide Squad game, which features a crew of comic book antiheroes battling against brainwashed superheroes like Superman, would also be out in 2022.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Damnit. I was really hoping this would come out this year. Slightly related, I wouldn't be surprised if Gotham Knights gets pushed too. Only Batman we get in 2022 is the movie.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. Pretty disappointing, considering how long it's been in development. But take all the time you need.

Hopefully Gotham makes it.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Aw man.

I get WB can't release all their games in one year, but I was looking forward to this one

Deleted member 10623

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2021
They haven't released a game since 2015 and yet it's delayed to 2023? Man… I knew it was too good for three warner games to come out.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Damnit. I was really hoping this would come out this year. Slightly related, I wouldn't be surprised if Gotham Knights gets pushed too. Only Batman we get in 2022 is the movie.

Gotham Knights was already pushed to 2022 after being "confirmed" for a 2021 release while this is the first Suicide Squad delay

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised, especially as gotham knights was touted as coming out before, and that was delayed as well.

Heck, I'm getting kinda curious to see if Gotham Knights or Harry Potter even drops in 2022, tbh, seeing as how little updates we've had on the former, and near total silence on the latter.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
WB seem like they're not afraid of delaying games when they need it. It's been a few high profile releases in a row that get all pushed back (Gotham Knights, Hogwarts, this).

Good thing for the consumers.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The year hasn't officially started for many companies. We're likely getting more delays.

Fiscal year ends for a lot of them in March, which is why February is so stacked.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game looks like it has a bunch of potential, gives me Sunset Overdrive vibes. Hopefully it gets all the time it deserves.

Oct 27, 2017
When they came out and said 2022 as it debuted, I think a lot of people would have thought the game could slip to 2023 as Covid effects on production became more quantifiable. Just a little disappointing that they were still saying 2022 as recently as The Game Awards in December, but the game looked very good and worth waiting for. Warner Bros won't have a lack of top titles this year anyway, with the DC side covered by Gotham Knights.

Still, though, this and Sifu were my most anticipated for the year. I'll have to use one to take the sting out of the other!

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Seems like no one is even interested in this game? The Suicide Squad gameplay reveal trailer thread only has like 6 pages lol…

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
First of many delays into 2023, between development issues due to Covid and stock issues for current gen hardware pushing for a 2022 release doesn't seem to give you much gain.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
"2021 is gonna be insane for games" ... delays after delays...

"2022 is gonna be insane for games":

200.gif

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
God damn, I hope we get at least a rock steady release date for 2023 so I can plan my Arkham playthrough leading up to it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Some day I would love to read a Schreier article or book chapter about what the hell happened behind the scenes at Rocksteady for the last 7 years

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't have bet any money on it actually releasing in 2022 to begin with.

Really hoping Gotham Knights makes it, though. I need a superhero fix.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised in the least. Found it unlikely they were going to put Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad out in the same year unless one released early in the year.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Going by Jason past comments, late 2016/ Early 2017 for a 2022 release (before COVID) makes 5 years which is on par with other AAA productions.

Regardless, 8 years from their last game to their next, think about everything that has happened in your life during that time. Another example of the AAA model completely out of control.