• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
28 million doesnt even match the performance an act like Blackpink managed in 24 hours, let alone nearly a week and on a channel with 16 million subscribers at that. Beyonce's biggest videos of all time only managed under around 700 million views on there and those are nearly a decade old. That would leave well over 100 music videos ahead of her most popular one (Halo). Nothing she has released in the past 3 years have even garnered 300 million to date.

28 million is on a surprise drop with no promotion. Dunno what her older videos have to do with this - it's not that surprising that old megahits will be consistently racking up views over the years.

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
1H4KgoU.png

Beyonce, coming off of her album Lemonade which sold 653,000 (485,000 pure sales) album-equivalent units in its first week, and Jay-Z, coming off his album 4:44 which sold 262,000 (174,000 pure sales) album-equivalent units in its first week, were bested by Australian boyband/KINGS OF POP 5 Seconds of Summer, selling only 124k album-equivalent units, of which only 70k units were pure sales.

And this is just the States - the album did much worse worldwide, barely making the top 10 in many countries.

What is to be said about this shocking development concerning the "most powerful couple in music"?
What site is this?

Oct 25, 2017
It's a couple of things.

1) JayZ is just unappealing next to Beyonce. She largely carries this album

2) Yeah yeah yeah, they are rich but like...that doesn't matter when it comes to releasing your music. The holding the shit hostage on TidaL and then releasing it a bit later on JUST Spotify premium...is whack.

Like how about being more accessible to your fans than walking around cocky? I still live for Bey and I am a residential Stan, but I'm not really mad it's losing. Maybe start releasing it everywhere instead of forcing people to use tidal that nobody wants.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
My dude, What we're not going to do is argue a top 5 Jay list that has Vol. 3 on it and not Blueprint.

Shhhh why u do dat....

commendable mentions I understand though Vol 3 felt so clean the Serena Altschul feature was a classic amongst other tracks. Blueprint is a bonafide classic. As pure as that white from Iceberg Slim himself. Just not in my Top 5 consistent spins/favs.

Feb 6, 2018
All this bitching about relevance and citing Lemonade and 4:44 as examples.

Those albums were good and people wanted to listen to them.

This album is garbage and nobody wants to listen to it. No Jay fan is going to buy it just to hear him grunt and ad-lib and no Beyoncé fan is going to buy it just to hear her "rap" loudly.

Fucking simples.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beyonce's "rapping" and all that hard talk from her is just embarrassing to listen to

Her Migos impersonation was particularly humorous on the second track

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Shhhh why u do dat....

commendable mentions I understand though Vol 3 felt so clean the Serena Altschul feature was a classic amongst other tracks. Blueprint is a bonafide classic. As pure as that white from Iceberg Slim himself. Just not in my Top 5 consistent spins/favs.
Vol 3 is actually where I became a Jay fan. I ignored vol 2 and just wasn't paying attention to music in middle school.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
It's almost as if young people, who drive the charts, tend to listen to other young people, leading to a cyclical turnover of music acts that can obtain chart success. someone do more research on this
Or people are finally tired of Jayz's mediocre verses hes been releasing since he unretired. Dude needs Kanye.

I never got the love for Beyonce's solo stuff. Put a ring on it was the only song I ever really liked. She ruined the song shes on on Watch the Throne, and I always thought she was better with Destiny's Child.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It just wasn't a good album. I was a big fan of Beyoncé's self-titled and Lemonade. Jay Z's 4:44 was a crafted little album as well. This has some of the most meh tracks I've heard from them. They can do better.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
They dropped the album in the middle of a Saturday with no promotion, and had it exclusively streaming on one service for three days.

Of course.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm more surprised at Christina Aguilera nearly selling on par with Beyoncé (pure sales) despite not being musically relevant in nearly a decade. Good for her. I thought her new album was a solid step up for her standards.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beyonce and Jay Z got that Metallica shit going on where we know their names but then no one really cares.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of the super washed up, "haha Tidal" or "Bey and Jay are wack because I no longer/don't understand their appeal" hot takes, here is something different.

Jay and Beyonce's fanbases don't intersect like they or most people think. And straight up, Beyonce fans don't really like Jay Z (infidelity).

If it was just one of them, sales would be different. And of course, you can add the distribution argument to that.

They specially don't intersect after Lemonade.

And Beyoncé has casual appeal with her songs being more lyrical and occasionally doing pop, ect.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
People are tired of both Beyonce and Jay, IMO. They are overexposed and the shit they talk about, you're rich, cool but who cares? There's a lot going on in the world right now outside of their brand, important shit. Who is their album speaking to?

Do you people listen to music or do you just skim through it?

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Anyway, people still havent figured out, Jay -Z and Beyonce are not here for your 0.99 cents single purchase or even your $9.99 album purchase.

They want your $99.00 and up concert ticket purchase.

How many artist can launch stadium tours? That's the judge of relevancy in 2018.

They both have a ton of #1 albums. They do not care.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
Im getting a little tired of artists trying to release albums without any singles or push prior because it's becoming like asking your fans to support you blindly.

Arctic Monkeys just pulled that with their album and its a pretty crummy album. You lose credibility with that bs unless you pull off a legit album.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
There are now reports that they are deleting negative comments from the Apeshit video. 100k comments have disappeared. Stay tuned for more updates.
Just do us all a favor and don't stand up too quick.

I get that people get very excited over their hate for celebs but these "they're deleting negative comments" rumors almost always turn out to be bullshit.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "problem" is that Jay Z was the voice of the street. Once you become a billionaire living a very private life you're disconnected from the street and you lose your clout and your voice fades in the minds of your audience.