• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
from Petestrumentals to Samurai Champloo's fantastic OT, i've been about this life for a minute

Nujabes, Fat Jon, Uyama Hiroto, Emancipator, LJones/Cult Classic Records, DJ Okawari, Five Deez, Dr. Who Dat!, Kenichiro Nishihara, Jenova 7, Thallus, Funky DL, Onra, Pase Rock, Kondor, Nomak, Oddisee, literally anyone out of Hydeout productions & tons of classic bandcamp pages i'm forgetting or outright sleeping on...i love this sound.

some people think it's perfect to write/do homework/sleep to. i meditate to it, vibe to it, sometimes run or train to it. it just goes, and i'm so grateful i found artists putting it out there into the ether, happy to share anywhere i can. i'll have more links soon!

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to Feather today. Damn, I got to start listening to chill hop again.

I may end up putting on some CL Smooth and seeing where it takes me.

Thanks for the thread Irish Ninja!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found Nujabes way too late, basically when I watched Samurai Champloo. This is a watched thread.

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I found Nujabes way too late, basically when I watched Samurai Champloo. This is a watched thread.

breh i think most of us found them from champloo/too late, don't sweat it

i'm more salty at this point that we still don't have the albums on vinyl, or that the biopic never happened

also: missing jaroof right now, he was that dude

Bono

Oct 26, 2017
I always find myself going back to Mark Farina's Mushroom Jazz albums whether I'm working or just zoning out playing games. The quality is so consistently good, I usually just queue them up and listen to them in order from the start.

Madlib's Shades of Blue is another favourite I go back to a lot. It actually got me into some classic albums from the blue note catalogue.

I've been meaning to listen to more of Oddisee. I really liked Own Appeal.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Nitsua's Dayscape is emotional, powerful and ambient. I go to this album every time I want to feel inspired. It's just one of those albums that touched me at my core. I have a special place in my heart for it.

Royal_Flush

Oct 25, 2017
You guys ever heard of Degiheugi? Not quite as sleepy/chilled as most of the stuff posted so far, but still really nice and upbeat:

Also has the goat album covers ;)

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Writing all this stuff down for later. I've been picking up random stuff from Youtube playlists people have put together.

This one I've listened to at least 100 times

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Nujabes Modal Soul got me through the final year of my bachelors degree.

Listened through the tape hundreds of times whilst pulling late nights writing up my dissertation and revising for finals.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see this thread here!

To kick off a conversation: top 5 non-Nujabes tracks on the Samurai Champloo soundtracks? I gotta go with:

1- How You Feel
2- Ask
3- Sincerely
4- Just Forget
5- 624 Part 1

edit: I took up some piano lessons about two months ago, my instructor's teaching me to do the loop from Feather. I have 0 musical knowledge, but I'm excited to learn the basics and hopefully produce some beats soon.

Deleted member 9824

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been looking for someone that produces like Dilla and Nujabes, but a lot of producers seem like "I'll just use soulful sounds" kind of producers than actual producers influences greatly by them. Anyone know some? I heard someone long ago that started with a K, but I forgot their name.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for someone that produces like Dilla and Nujabes, but a lot of producers seem like "I'll just use soulful sounds" kind of producers than actual producers influences greatly by them. Anyone know some? I heard someone long ago that started with a K, but I forgot their name.

Check out my post below you.
I think that's what you're looking for. He play's the keys on his own. He's a jazz pianist.

Uyama Hiroto & Nitsua are the closest thing to Nujabes you're going to find.
Check out Kazumi Kaneda as well.

Last edited:

Somiya

Oct 27, 2017

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Nujabes is the GOAT. Uyama Hiroto carries on his spirit. Freefolk Jazz was a thing of wonders.

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird, I don't get the same vibes from Uyama Hiroto compared to Nujabes. I like Uyama Hiroto's stuff, but sometimes it almost feels like two seperate genres. Uyama Hiroto plays a lot with voices and chants, which I'm a bit less into. Still he has some classics.

navyspheal

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, right up my alley.

Hidetake Takayama is one of my favorites so I left these here. Can't wait to see what else gets posted here

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nujabes is truly a legend. No matter how much lofi I listen to, no one gives me that sense of passion and nostalgia that Nujabes does.

JaY P.

Oct 27, 2017
Paradise
Jonwayne's " Words are Everything" has that 90's east coast vibe. Pretty much the whole Rap Album Number 2 has this vibe.

Also, I will be watching this thread to see what I can add to my Spotify playlist.

BumbleBee

Oct 29, 2017
I been checking out the songs ya posted. They are great. I'm glad to have discover this genre of music. Love the chill vibe I get from listening to these songs.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I've really enjoyed some of the mixes/YouTube stations that I've seen posted before so I appreciate you guys linking to some of them again for the new forum. :)

Like a lot of people I was introduced to Nujabes and instrumental hip hop in general through Samurai Champloo. One of my favorites by him that hasn't been posted yet is Letter from Yokosuka:

Glad to see that Pete's Jazz was already posted.

ig55

Oct 27, 2017
I always find myself going back to Mark Farina's Mushroom Jazz albums whether I'm working or just zoning out playing games. The quality is so consistently good, I usually just queue them up and listen to them in order from the start.

Madlib's Shades of Blue is another favourite I go back to a lot. It actually got me into some classic albums from the blue note catalogue.

I've been meaning to listen to more of Oddisee. I really liked Own Appeal.

My man!!