• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

View: https://twitter.com/Liam_J_McIntyre/status/1782971412036424187?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1782971412036424187%7Ctwgr%5E547daaab151f8b04cc62084f234787b486fe5afc%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamereactor.eu%2Fgears-5-voice-actor-heavily-implies-that-gears-6-will-be-announced-in-june-1383693%2F

Twitter user: "Wait......so What's happening to JD ? Is his death canon @GearsofWar"
Liam J McIntyre: "I have no idea. I think @GearsofWar tells us all in June. :)"

Don't know how much info a voice actor would know but as per every tweet, take with a grain of salt

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how that's possible because…
HE DEAD

Cannot wait to see Gears 6.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what I want from a new Gears at this point. Following the Gears 1-4 formula doesn't feel like enough, but Gears 5 was such a weak attempt at opening the game up, it just felt like a Gears game but with awful pacing.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I guess im a freak for liking the last few GoW games more than the originals, though I never owned an xbox and mostly played it with people who did.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why they'd ask that VA... he really shouldnt be in the 6th game unless
the writers intend to go the absolute most boring direction with 5's plot choice at the end of the game and keeping him alive... it wasnt even a choice on who should live lol (seriously, JD fucking sucks as a character, and them making it canon that he survived would be so lame... then again 5's ending was so damn bad I wouldnt put it past them...
can we just get a Hive Breakers continuation instead?

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I guess im a freak for liking the last few GoW games more than the originals, though I never owned an xbox and mostly played it with people who did.
Eh id say that you're not wrong. Factoring out the impact from the first few games, 4 and 5 play just as well as the originals IMO, they just dont define a genre like the first few did

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Not sure why they'd ask that VA... he really shouldnt be in the 6th game unless
the writers intend to go the absolute most boring direction with 5's plot choice at the end of the game and keeping him alive... it wasnt even a choice on who should live lol (seriously, JD fucking sucks as a character, and them making it canon that he survived would be so lame... then again 5's ending was so damn bad I wouldnt put it past them...
can we just get a Hive Breakers continuation instead?
I'm team Del, but they kinda have to commit to the bit and honour both choices, otherwise that big decision would feel random/pointless

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Never been so glad I clicked a spoiler. Bounced off Gears 5, but I HATED him in 4.
His death is actually player-determined. You're given a choice at the end of the game to spare either him or Del.

Not sure how they're handling that in the next game. Maybe they'll follow through and just let you pick who died again, rather than canonizing one death over the other. I have to imagine they were thinking ahead when they implemented that decision one way or the other.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Is it weird that Gears being the next major reveal for Xbox feels like the worst kept secret? I feel like we've known something Gears related has been in the works for a long time now. Personally though, all I want is a nice Gears collection to get me into the franchise finally kinda like Halo MCC brought me back to Halo lol

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
His death is actually player-determined. You're given a choice at the end of the game to spare either him or Del.

Not sure how they're handling that in the next game. Maybe they'll follow through and just let you pick who died again, rather than canonizing one death over the other.
100/100 times, I'm taking Del over JD

Is it weird that Gears being the next major reveal for Xbox feels like the worst kept secret? I feel like we've known something Gears related has been in the works for a long time now. Personally though, all I want is a nice Gears collection to get me into the franchise finally kinda like Halo MCC brought me back to Halo lol

Halo, Forza, Gears.

Death and taxes.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure how they're handling that in the next game. Maybe they'll follow through and just let you pick who died again, rather than canonizing one death over the other. I have to imagine they were thinking ahead when they implemented that decision one way or the other.
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus did something similar for handling a big player choice that was made in the first game.
I'm sure Gears can do something similar.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I just hope TC finally figures out what they want the multiplayer to be. I don't need another mediocre launch followed by 18 months of experimentation.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
The Gears 5 ending was so stupid.

I kept JD though - Del is an absolute non-entity of a character, and I want Marcus to face up to his shitty parenting that was alluded to all through 4.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is he even allowed to say that?? I mean that's basically a direct announcement lol.

I'm HYPE either way. Assuming it's not this year and will be a 2025 release, that's six years since Gears 5, jeez. Both of MS's flagships - Halo and Gears. Both with six year waits between their fifth and sixth games. Crazy.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With the rumour this is on the next gen XBox, even more hype

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Gears 5 fell off a cliff so hard at the end there, that choice was so stupid. I have trouble imagining how they'll address it in 6.

Nov 3, 2017
I would have preferred Marcus back in the Pendulum Wars instead of the Milquetoast Fenix Jr continuation, but interested in seeing Gears running on UE5.

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
I kinda love Gears 4 and 5 more than most people, and I also genuinely like where they went with the new cast. Very excited for wherever they decide to take the sixth one, I just hope the servers...work on launch.

OP
OP
Bishop89

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i thought the first chunk of gears 4 with the generic robo enemies was very lame. They were just so boring to fight. Once the Locust came back I started liking it.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
i thought the first chunk of gears 4 with the generic robo enemies was very lame. They were just so boring to fight.

Narratively they work very well because the COG aren't going to send their few remaining soldiers after a group of insurgents, especially not when they can just fabricate them infinitely. Gameplay-wise they serve a lot of the same functions that Tickers and Wretches did in the older games, where they often rush you to keep you from sitting in cover and the DR-1s rush in and try to explode on you. But still, they obviously took whatever criticism to heart since there's only a small number of sections in Gears 5 where you fight them.

I would have preferred Marcus back in the Pendulum Wars instead of the Milquetoast Fenix Jr continuation, but interested in seeing Gears running on UE5.

It always amazes me to see people say how they should do more prequels. Gears is a franchise about humans fighting monsters, not humans fighting humans. Going back to before the Locust emerged removes them entirely, and would likely have the same criticisms as seen above about the UIR being "lame", as well as removing a lot of the weaponry the games are known for. Not to mention the extremely reduced enemy variety they'd have (guy with rifle, guy with flamethrower, guy with sniper, guy in tank, etc), which is something the newer games already have issues with and definitely wouldn't be improved in a prequel.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I hope we see JD again in 6; he's got so much baggage and done such fucked up stuff, I wanna see more anguish and development from him.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Not sure how that's possible because…
HE DEAD

Cannot wait to see Gears 6.

460d1290136c8bc0667eb1b8d3704a0278f2bb85.gifv

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
If you're playing the game as if you are Kait, the decision to save Del fits her particular experience and story. He was there for her through all of gears 5. but as a player and viewer of the story, saving JD makes so much more of an interesting story and allows for way more dramatic beats.

Yes, JD was boring in gears 4. But in 5 they leaned into the legacy of marcus fenix, and what it's like to have the legend that saved the entire planet as your father. How do you live up to his accomplishments? You can't. JD failed to do so. he fucked up hard and is a bit of a piece of shit. His dad wasn't a great father to him, and meanwhile he was reminded all his life how his dad was this monolithic, legendary hero. That would fuck a lot of people up. The parallels between JD and Marcus are infinitely more interesting then the dude whos the sweetheart, techy side-kick friend. In addition to all of that drama; now that JD has lost Del, he finally has a real connection to his father for the first time in his life. A connection in which they both lost their best friend/brother. This is something that can finally allow their relationship to heal and move to a new place.

What story elements/dramatic moments does Del living bring that can rival all of that? He can go through the arc of losing a close friend, but he just doesnt have enough connections and emotional beats that tie into the other remaining characters to really make for impactful scenes imo.

beebop

May 30, 2023
What story elements/dramatic moments does Del living bring that can rival all of that? He can go through the arc of losing a close friend, but he just doesnt have enough connections and emotional beats that tie into the other remaining characters to really make for impactful scenes imo.
Del is just kinda there, nothing interesting about the character. But killing JD would have had more interesting ramifications on Marcus.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Del is just kinda there, nothing interesting about the character. But killing JD would have had more interesting ramifications on Marcus.
I think every emotional outcome for marcus in JD dying has already been explored by that character. But him actually owning up to his legacy and his son is unexplored territory.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
I think every emotional outcome for marcus in JD dying has already been explored by that character. But him actually owning up to his legacy and his son is unexplored territory.

Exactly - the "Marcus loses somebody dear to him" thing has happened so many times, it's just repetitive. And at this point, depressing.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
They can't possibly just canonize one of the choices, it would make the decision look utterly pointless.

They will make two alternative stories for 6, and you can probably even save the sacrificed character, because they got turned into swarm zombie generals, but the power of friendship will bring them back to live and let them remember who they were