Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
We're over halfway through that coveted licensing deal, though, and EA has only released two Star Wars games: Battlefront and Battlefront 2. The third, Jedi: Fallen Order, will be out on Friday. Excluding the Disney-published mobile games and the Warner Bros LEGO games, that's just three new Star Wars games in six years at a time when Star Wars is at the peak of its popularity and saturation.

You certainly can't accuse EA of milking the license, but the slow start makes it feel like Jedi: Fallen Order is showing up late to a party toting a case of beer after everyone's moved on to champagne. The decades-long Skywalker saga is coming to a close with The Rise of Skywalker in December. It's a massive pop culture event and a fitting cap to a decade obsessed with massive Disney film franchises

A conventional, safe approach wouldn't be surprising. LucasArts and EA tried the unconventional route three times before the announcement of Jedi: Fallen Order. We never played any of those games.

When most of LucasArts was stamped out by Disney, former employees hoped EA-owned Visceral Games would take over development of the ambitious Star Wars 1313, which would've seen Boba Fett adventuring through a subterranean metropolis. Instead, Visceral started work on a new Star Wars game inspired by an open world pirate game the studio had been working on. "You flew your Millennium Falcon-esque ship around, boarded other ships, raided pirates, got booty, and that kind of thing," a source told Kotaku. (Kotaku's full report on Visceral's last years is full of interesting details about EA's repeated Star Wars blunders.)

To a degree, it's nice to have limited expectations for a change. We haven't been promised a vast open world pirate game, an MMO with a complex player-run economy, or a game that'll be like Uncharted 4, but better. We've been promised a Respawn game with cool lightsaber combat, and that might be enough.

But if there's nothing exceptional about Fallen Order—or, worse, it's outright bad—it'll be hard not to daydream about what might have happened if Disney had signed up a different partner. A Microsoft deal wouldn't have been very interesting back when EA got the license, but today it's a different story. Microsoft's studios, which now include Obsidian, The Coalition, Double Fine, inXile, and Ninja Theory, all get the imagination going.

Given how long it takes to develop big-budget games these days, I'd expect more major Star Wars announcements to come closer to the end of EA's ten-year project. There's still time, but after watching EA pivot, and then re-pivot, and then close a whole studio over an exciting Star Wars game, Fallen Order has a lot of convincing to do.

Kinda agree. Unfair for Respawn tho. But i think they can deliver. But alot of the Star Wars EA deal is riding on it.
Dont fully agree it needs to exceptional. But it needs to be solid.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Disney must go the marvel ruote with the star wars ip let many publishers do games for them

Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
An IP like Star Wars should never be bound to a single developer/publisher, though I get the greater issue over an IP like Marvel for instance, considering Lucasfilm needs/wants everything in continuity, which becomes even more problematic when you have multiple companies working on it (doesn't make it right, but I can imagine the huge headache that must cause production-wise).

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no they don't. Credit for Jedi: Fallen Order shouldn't be given to EA, it should be given to Respawn. EA doesn't deserve this license and I hope a more suitable publisher gets it. Actually, I hope Star Wars isn't licensed to a single publisher but is instead allowed to be used by multiple ones.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
i'm guessing sales of this will be a big factor in them continuing with the license (metacritic aside). I haven't been impressed by anything EA's done with it yet.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of JFO's quality, EA shouldn't have the licence all to themselves. Imagine what better publishers could do with the IP.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It's an interesting battle between ea and disney for who don't deserve the possess of star wars brand tbh.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Disney doesn't understand the value of games. They never have. You get what you put in. Quick money, get equel results. Its just unfortunate that EA is so against SP games this gen, because there was a time the union would have worked.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I have no doubt about JFO bring good but EA absolutely don't deserve the licence given what they've done with it in the past 6 years. A marvel approach of letting various devs try seems good

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MS should get the license and let their amazing RPG teams have a crack.

Makes sense for Obsidian to reboot KOTOR. Hell, give it to DF and make a new adventure game.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Deserve? I mean at the end of the day it comes down to what the most interesting business proposition is for DIsney. With Battlefront 2 I think EA really pushed the limits of that partnership. Of course in an ideal world we would see developers/publishers pitch their ideas to Disney to get the contract, and the best ideas win, but it's not an ideal world, and at the end of the day money wins.

With the proposed hiatus I wonder if EA will even bother putting out another Star Wars game after Fallen Order. I mean the contract is nearing it's end. And weren't there reports that Wilson wasn't happy with the 10-year deal in the first place?

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I think the bigger issue is whether AAA single player experiences are still worth it for EA so they can occasionally remove their GAAS boot from the neck of their talent.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. EA had the perfect opportunity owning Bioware to do so, but they didn't.

May EA be really convinced that you can't sell more than one Star Wars game per year...?
Imagine EA having exclusive rights to Star Wars. Imagine EA owning Bioware.

Now imagine Bioware making a GaaS flop instead of KOTOR.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Disney doesn't understand the value of games. They never have. You get what you put in. Quick money, get equel results. Its just unfortunate that EA is so against SP games this gen, because there was a time the union would have worked.
Their Marvel branch is doing great though when it comes to games and that's because they aren't limited to one publisher. They approach different publishers, different developers and greenlight the best projects. That kind of thinking got us a PS4-exclusive Spider-Man, a Switch-exclusive Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and upcoming multiplatform GaaS Avengers (and some pretty decent mobile games). This is a strategy that works and it's one that the Star Wars brand needs to adapt in the future. Unfortunately, that EA contract is nowhere close to ending...

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Even if the license stops being exclusive, don't expect a sudden deluge of SW games, it's not the 90s anymore.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If any publisher should have the rights to Star Wars instead, who should it be?
Hrmm. I think if people wanted a SP focused cinematic SW game, then Sony. Problem is who they get to do it since their main big studios are already deep into their own IPs etc. Ideally ND but they won't pull them away from their own titles anytime soon.

If people wanted a SP RPG ong the lines of KOTOR etc, then give it to MS. They have RPG teams that have a pedigree for RPGs.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Disney going the Marvel route does seem like the most likely outcome given how hard EA has dropped the ball. I'd love to see a single-player action-adventure game from Ninja Theory starring Melina Juergens.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
they don't.

it's like your semester always get very low score on exam and you hope one test will carry you up to C which in this case is not

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Disney must go the marvel ruote with the star wars ip let many publishers do games for them

Regular reminder that the former staff at Factor 5 still has the code and assets for the unreleased Rogue Squadron Trilogy remake, want to port it to Switch, and now all work together at Epic.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
With EA's mandate to release as few games as possible with as much monetization and GaaS as possible, it really was an incredibly stupid move to license Star Wars.

Would have been nice of them to farm out the games to studios who wanted to do something fun with the IP, but here we are.

I'm rooting for you, Respawn

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Hrmm. I think if people wanted a SP focused cinematic SW game, then Sony. Problem is who they get to do it since their main big studios are already deep into their own IPs etc. Ideally ND but they won't pull them away from their own titles anytime soon.

If people wanted a SP RPG ong the lines of KOTOR etc, then give it to MS. They have RPG teams that have a pedigree for RPGs.
I suppose I was thinking third party really,, I can't see Disney giving it to a first party because it would be a multi game deal and they'd likely want multiplatform.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
As excited as I am for Respawn's great looking game, fuck no. No one publisher deserves exclusive rights to shit. Fuck EA, Disney, the NFL, and whatever other companies do this.

Disney should have retained some of LucasArts for the purpose of collaborating with every publisher/developer out there. Capcom, Platinum, Square, From Software, Sony, Nintendo, etc, all could have simultaneously working on a title that played to the genres in which they excel - action, adventure, platforming, racing, flying, fighting. Instead, we get EA pumping out two controversial shooters, scrapping several projects, and finally launching an awesome action game. EA owns (and has creatively bankrupted) BioWare and we still have no KOTOR spiritual successor in the works.

No one should get exclusive rights.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I feel they are perfect for Star Wars in 2019. Star Wars is now an inherently corporate franchise. Any assumptions that a Disney leadership or EA leadership will prove artful is pretty lost I think. There's amazing artists working under both umbrellas but the corporate superstructure and IP management ensures it's gonna be that aggressive chase of the bottom line by overfeeding us with it and by allowing certain releases to be botched. The damage is already done, and I want Star Wars to go on hiatus for a decade or something. It's turning into something soulless.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had never heard about that idea Visceral had for their Star Wars game. Sounds much more original and ambitious than fallen order, shame it didn't saw the light of day.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its annoying that EA have exclusive rights. Disney should allow any competent dev to license it like they do Marvel.

Would be a dream come true if MS were able to get Obsidian to make KoToR 3.

Last edited:

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
I don't agree at all. Plus even if it is, Jedi Fallen order is bound to be amazing, so no big deal.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Fallen order could be the greatest star wars game of all time and ea would still not even remotely deserve to have the contract to make more star wars games. Once that contract is up I pray to god Disney finds someone else.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Instead, ask whether it's worth making games around licensed IP like Star Wars, with notoriously difficult creative control to navigate. Having worked on movie games, I do not envy them.

Also Star Wars is boring.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Disney's keeping it on such a tight leash i doubt it matters. like... Devolver Digital could grab the license and there'd be hardly jack shit they could do with it

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Is SW really at peak popularity?

Just get Larry Holland and give me a new X-wing vs. Tie Fighter

Oct 26, 2017
Deserve? I mean at the end of the day it comes down to what the most interesting business proposition is for DIsney. With Battlefront 2 I think EA really pushed the limits of that partnership. Of course in an ideal world we would see developers/publishers pitch their ideas to Disney to get the contract, and the best ideas win, but it's not an ideal world, and at the end of the day money wins.

With the proposed hiatus I wonder if EA will even bother putting out another Star Wars game after Fallen Order. I mean the contract is nearing it's end. And weren't there reports that Wilson wasn't happy with the 10-year deal in the first place?

A new Star Wars game is coming in 2022, already announced.
And I guess if JFO is successful enough I can see a sequel

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Did Disney and EA not freely contract for the licensing rights? If so, they don't deserve it any more or less than the terms of the contract. Thus far they have produced the two best selling games in franchise history. So if it makes financial sense then the parties will continue their agreement. Otherwise they will part ways and the next highest bidder will "earn" the right to try their hand at the IP.