• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I said it in the OT but its a shame that people will only be talking about the technical issues, as it is a genuinely fantastic game.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't bought it due to the performance issues but by all accounts the core of the game is good! It will be interesting if it holds its position when TotK comes out given we have 3 skus vs 1.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
This shit with releasing broken games will never stop… it just works too well.

NeonGhost120

May 3, 2023
have they said anything about them disabling the ray tracing in performance mode to get better fps?

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Another Pokémon Scarlet/Violet situation, the game is infested with performance problems but it's stupidly fun. Can't say they don't deserve the success.

Oct 25, 2017
I will buy it after some more patchs (and when I have more time) because everyone is praising the hell out of the game itself.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Taking into account that they skipped last gen consoles with a much bigger install base, I think these results guarantee that we will get third game from Respawn eventually.

Well deserved, as it's one of the best Star Wars games and one of the best adventure games I've played in some time, but next time they should really give it more polish.

padsports

Oct 28, 2017
What's wrong with the town? Koboh as a game area are pretty cool, very expansive and varied environment, lots of secrets to uncover, and the saloon is pretty damn sweet home base that evolve over time.

Nothing wrong with the town per se, but where my 3080Ti hovered around 60 ~ 70 fps (Epic, RT, 5440x1440) when arriving Koboh, the framerate tanked into an unstable mess of 20~30 fps when entering the first "real" open area.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Good news, the game is totally fantastic. And yes I had big PC performance annoyances and I still say that!

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
This is why the next one will also launch in an unfinished state. People just accept this as the way of things now and it sucks.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I bought the game digitally, it's just how my tastes have changed this generation. It's surprised me honestly, I have a Disc PS5 and a Series X but 90% of my game purchases have been digital. I just have no love for plastic boxes with empty discs, they are incredibly bad for the environment and we've moved past the point where they're required.

Ostrav

Feb 14, 2023
I won't be getting this any time soon but should you play the first one beforehand?
Seems strange sales for a sequel being up so much.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I won't be getting this any time soon but should you play the first one beforehand?
You should definitely play the first one.

Also, nothing weird about a greatly improved sequel (both in gameplay and critic scores) to have better numbers than an incredibly successful game.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

The first one was better than many people expected it would be, so the sequel is benefitting off that reputation (it also reviewed better and looks great) but yeah, I would advise at least watching the first one's story on Youtube before playing this one, though I think actually playing the game is the way to go. I liked it quite a bit.

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
Tomorrow is EA's earnings call I think so I think we'll know whether it met EA's expectations or not

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This is why the next one will also launch in an unfinished state. People just accept this as the way of things now and it sucks.
It puts me off buying games at launch u less it is Sony first party on their own systems or Nintendo (because I just expect performance issues because of the hardware). £70 is the early access/beta price and I'll just get a more complete package on sale.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
That's great to hear! Hoping for another one!

Haven't played it yet because I'm waiting for the technical mess to be cleaned up, but the game really seems to be such a good sequel, improving and building on everything that was great in the first game!

Hope the publishers do understand that it's better to launch a complete game though, and don't only listen to the money :/

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I really, really dig this game and consider it vastly superior than FO (and hell, it's already GOTY material for me)but the PC port shitshow and the messy state performance mode is in makes me sour on the how they handled the release.

Respawn still haven't improved their technical deficiencies and after Survivor's success, they have no reason to improve if it'll sell well…

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the game actually broken? I'm seeing completion vids all over my timeline and several people have posted they already got the platinum for it. Hard to complete a broken game.

You'd think sales would be down since it's $70 compared to $60 for the first. Guess people buy games is they deem them worth it.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's great to hear! Hoping for another one!

Haven't played it yet because I'm waiting for the technical mess to be cleaned up, but the game really seems to be such a good sequel, improving and building on everything that was great in the first game!

Hope the publishers do understand that it's better to launch a complete game though, and don't only listen to the money :/
I am close to getting all the achievements on PC (just have some meme ones and a couple dozen collectibles to pick up) and this is a truly tragic situation, because the game itself is absolutely amazing, they pulled an Assassin's Creed 2 and got rid of the bad parts of the original game (for the most part... the map still sucks) and improved literally everything that worked well and/or had potential in the first game. The love and passion poured into this game is very clear, especially as a Star Wars fan. It's just baffling that either management is putting minimal priority on some basic shit (UI and performance) or they have a huge skill gap between their creative/design teams and their technical/UI teams, because the game could be a 10/10 if they just didn't shit the bed with the UI and perf issues. Oh, and I wish they fixed the fucking lightsabers already, the color is often too dim to the point where, for example, red sabers look pale pink sometimes, and you can sometimes see through the middle of the blade, especially on the workbench.

Also important to point out that pretty much all the pre-release reviews were saying that the performance issues on consoles are minor (we saw in the DF video how that turned out...) and the game itself is amazing. Which I guess is true, it's only a matter of what you consider 'minor'. To me, 'minor' would be "there are some areas/situations where the FPS drops a bit", not "the game drops to 15 FPS in the default visual mode one of the first planets, stutters every time the game loads the next zone, it can crash, there are game-breaking bugs that stop your progress, some trophies don't work, performance mode has cutscenes stuck in 30FPS and has an extremely low resolution, and HDR on PS5 is completely broken if you calibrated your console to your OLED TV properly, oh and the performance mode has screen tearing in the year of our emperor 2023". Everything except the HDR issue probably doesn't bother the average consumer though. It's just us enthusiasts who get annoyed by this because we got used to a certain degree of quality in most AAA games.

All in all I am happy I played the game now, dodging spoilers for a couple of months would be extremely hard (I still got spoiled on a really surprising cameo in a sidequest that I did NOT see coming at all, no main plot stuff fortunately, only fake spoilers) and experiencing the game and its story completely blind was a treat. At times it felt like playing Elden Ring in the sense that there moments where they clearly could have just gone "here's another standard AAA cave/chest to open, a standard corridor, a standard optional challenge", but they went the extra mile and put in some gameplay surprises in the game as well as callbacks to the first game.

Jedi Survivor really feels like a game that should have been in the list of GOAT action-adventure games, and definitely in the list of GOAT Star Wars games. Instead most of the buzz online is about how the technical side of the game is completely shit. Hopefully they pull a Cyberpunk and in a year we'll be talking about how gorgeous the game looks (seriously the people who are saying the game looks bad need to see an eye doctor ASAP, unless they mean the IQ on consoles, in which case I agree) and how much it's improved since launch.

OP
OP

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Is the game actually broken? I'm seeing completion vids all over my timeline and several people have posted they already got the platinum for it. Hard to complete a broken game.

You'd think sales would be down since it's $70 compared to $60 for the first. Guess people buy games is they deem them worth it.
The performance can be pretty woeful in some sections but if you can tolerate 30fps it is perfectly playable.

Dupr Dog

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 16, 2022
Taking into account that they skipped last gen consoles with a much bigger install base, I think these results guarantee that we will get third game from Respawn eventually.
They skipped last gen precisely because they've seen how little it contributes to sales over the past year.

Install base is irrelevant. Active users of that install base is what matters, and it's rapidly shrinking.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Unfortunate tech issues aside, it's an incredible game and my GOTY in a year in which 3 of my fav games saw fantastic remakes/remasters… well, at least till Friday.

You know what's also interesting? It's Dead Island 2's third consecutive week in the top 3, who would've guessed?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Not literally broken, just spiritually broken.