Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Things unseen might get shown and released at some point.

I wouldn't rush it though. Look at Cyberpunk.

Cubs017

Mar 16, 2020
Do we have any idea if this is going to be next-gen only or if it'll also be out on the Xbox One?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Zero confirmation. I expect it to be cross-gen since it's in development for 5 years. However, anything can change as they've announced no consoles.
Oblivion was in development for 4 years and it launched with Xbox 360, with no cross gen support. Games don't get developed on old hardware. They get developed on PC with projected hardware in mind. According to Todd, they made the biggest engine overhaul once they've found out the next gen specs, so that implies Starfield won't run on last gen.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Halo Infinite, AND Starfield both releasing potentially around the same time??

Holy shit, Microsoft.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
If this happens, Microsoft will have its best year in what feels like forever. Halo+Starfield as Q4 games will not be topped by anyone.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
sooo, port begging is allowed now? even after the announcements we have thread filled of it... sigh.

edit: I finally see the mod post, thank you mods

Awesome news, I was always confident the game would be released this year, hopefully they can make it.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt it's gonna be cross gen. They've never done it before, and with them upgrading their tech I don't think they'd want to have to make concessions

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
They need to relax and give halo room to breathe. This is it for 343 go hard or go home they've got all the time to polish Halo up. If true, that's a lot of marketing for two huge games.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Nice! Looking forward to putting the question of "what is Starfield" to rest in my brain.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
So as a general question, why do people keep telling Jeff Grubb things when he seemingly immediately blabs it out to everyone? It seems different than getting info out in case it gets buried and more just undercutting general game announcements. If it's been covered elsewhere I'd be glad to read that thread.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would be a killer holiday lineup for MS if so. I'm cautiously optimistic Starfield will come this year but I won't be disappointed if it doesn't.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
User Banned (1 Day): Port Begging; Ignoring Staff Post
No. A PS5 version isn't more likely in 2022. It's not likely in 2021 either. It was never announced for the PlayStation platforms at all. What is so confusing about this?
I also wouldn't bet on it coming to PS5, my point is that the sooner it comes out, the further along in development the PS5 version was at the time of the acquisition, and the more likely they are to go ahead and release it.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a choice video or article that discusses just what Starfield might be as a game?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So as a general question, why do people keep telling Jeff Grubb things when he seemingly immediately blabs it out to everyone? It seems different than getting info out in case it gets buried and more just undercutting general game announcements. If it's been covered elsewhere I'd be glad to read that thread.

I'd imagine the source knows that, and actually wants to build hype and social media discussion around the platform and line up. In other words, the leaker may be using him for a type of brand awareness and indirect marketing so to speak.

If the rumour doesn't pan out, it doesn't really matter because it was never official, so MS don't get blamed for it, but they still get the discussion and hype either way, only Jeff is the one being questioned lol.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Do we have any idea if this is going to be next-gen only or if it'll also be out on the Xbox One?
Considering the rumors that Playstation was attempting to secure timed exclusivity for the game, I imagine it is a next gen only release like Deathloop & Ghostwire: Tokyo? With the smaller install base this early into a new generation, those sorts of agreements must be easier to obtain

Oct 29, 2017
Agreed that it's speculation but I don't think the idea should be shut down like it seems to be in the thread. Based on how games like Psychonauts 2 are still going multiplat, I don't think it's unlikely that Bethesda had some marketing deals in place with Sony or even some financial incentives sent their way, the game has been in dev for 6 years. I say this as someone who has been subbed to gamepass for 2 years, I dont care if it goes to PS5.

Psychonauts 2 was crowd funded, they literally already have customers who have paid for a PS4 version. Nothing to do with marketing contracts.

ka13b

Dec 17, 2020
I also wouldn't bet on it coming to PS5, my point is that the sooner it comes out, the further along in development the PS5 version was at the time of the acquisition, and the more likely they are to go ahead and release it.
Why would the build percentage matter to the IP holder (in this case, Microsoft)?

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually think it will. It's been in development since 2016, and a build for the PS5 has existed probably for the last 2.5 years at this point.

I would be surprised if they toss the PS5 version at the last minute just because of the acquisition.
Sunk cost fallacy. It doesn't matter how much they've already invested in a PS5 version if they deem it advantages to make the game exclusive.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I'd imagine the source knows that, and want to build hype and social media discussion around the platform and line up. In other words, the leaker may be using him for a type of brand awareness and indirect marketing so to speak.

If the rumour doesn't pan out, it doesn't really matter because it was never official, so MS don't get blamed for it, but they still get the discussion and hype either way, only Jeff is the one being questioned lol.
I do find it very strange.

What value does rumouring a 2021 release for Starfield really bring? If it does release in 2021 then it will be a great surprise when revealed, if it doesn't you set expectations that subsequently fall away. It's not going to have any immediate impact on console sales between now and when they do reveal the game this summer.

And just on the general point. Anyone in the industry who sees their phone ring and it's Jeff Grub must be really exasperated at this stage. It's just not a legitimate comms strategy to keep pumping Grub full of information, they do not need to do it. I'm equally baffled about where he's getting this information and I can't imagine it's some sanctioned official Xbox PR.

My original thought was that he's just guessing at fairly obvious stuff, but he has got a couple of date specific things right recently that absolutely kill that theory.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
That would make their first year lineup really strong.

The question is if horizon 5 is also this year (maybe wolf 3 as well), how do they position everything this year?

MS has too many games lol.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
2021 is already off to a huge start for Xbox and this would be a megaton.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
if all 3 are releasing this year then i guess wolfenstein 3 has to be 2022.
Who knows, they have 23 studios now, games will start piling up soon. If Halo was planned for last year, did Microsoft only plan Forza and Flight Sim for this year? Would it be weird if Bethesda planned both Starfield and Wolfenstein for the same year? Then they combined both schedules and... Insane year.

However, with the pandemic, some of the games I mentioned will likely suffer delays, but it seems likely they'll have easily three huge releases towards the holidays.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Didn't even completed 3 years since announcement and it was in that "we don't have anything" announced super ealy and one of those years is a covid-related delay full year

they who ?

Bethesda Game Studios have released Elder Scrolls Blades in 2019, Fallout 76 in 2018 =P

They had a 3 year difference between 2 games (Fallout 3 in 2008 and skyrim in 2011) that was
1) in a time games were cheaper
2) skyrim was released in early access state
3) without any pandemic year in the middle
They have 4 studios though

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Todd Howard said in an interview that he would reveal Starfield one week before release if he could (he said Fallout 4 was the maximum that marketing allowed him to do).

Exactly, publishers are going to push back against a short announce-to-release period. Even says in the quote about retail partners, that would most likely include the console makers these days, so if it's a next-gen game Sony/MS would've been begging for them to show it last year at one of the events, why would Zenimax turn down that publicity?

Unless, like I mentioned it was always part of Zenimax's sale offer.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Sunk cost fallacy. It doesn't matter how much they've already invested in a PS5 version if they deem it advantages to make the game exclusive.
Plus, ditching PS5 to focus those resources on the Xbox and PC versions would make the game release in better state and more likely to hit the holidays.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do find it very strange.

What value does rumouring a 2021 release for Starfield really bring? If it does release in 2021 then it will be a great surprise when revealed, if it doesn't you set expectations that subsequently fall away. It's not going to have any immediate impact on console sales between now and when they do reveal the game this summer.

And just on the general point. Anyone in the industry who sees their phone ring and it's Jeff Grub must be really exasperated at this stage. It's just not a legitimate comms strategy to keep pumping Grub full of information, they do not need to do it. I'm equally baffled about where he's getting this information and I can't imagine it's some sanctioned official Xbox PR.

My original thought was that he's just guessing at fairly obvious stuff, but he has got a couple of date specific things right recently that absolutely kill that theory.

This thread is already nearing page 9 of discussion. It garner's hype and gets people talking about the platform and titles.

Like I said, if the rumour is wrong, it'll be Jeff who's questioned but not till several months later, at which point he can just say what most insiders do if their rumours don't pan out, which is that the plans changed lol.

Oct 27, 2017
If Starfield is this year and next gen only, it will be the first Xbox first party title selling for 69.99. Bethesda was going to do it for Deathloop and likely Ghostwire. Of course you can play it on game pass and not pay that, but I think aside from Halo (crossgen) they will go 69.99 with next gen games. Starfield likely the first, unless FH5 manages to make a surprise 2021 release

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I didn't even think about the fact that this means Halo Infinite will launch before the Holiday since they will want to space the 2 titles out.
Maybe September for Halo?
September / early-October seems right. I think the conventional wisdom is that they want to give Halo a bit of room to breathe before COD drops.
Starfield and Halo Infinite combo is gonna move a lot of Xboxs.
If there's Xboxes available! You'd almost rather push Starfield to spring if there's still supply constraints in the fall.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Fallout 4 I'd settle for just more Skyrim.

I'm playing through Fallout 4 for the first time. I was apprehensive to start since hearing so much negativity towards it, but after about 10 hours in, I'm enjoying it a lot (especially since enabling the 60 fps boost). Why is it looked on so badly?

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I expect to see the game this year but I don't expect Starfield and Halo Infinite to release too close to each other.

Trigger