• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They need to remove at least F2P and sub service titles (only thing in the way of a port of FF XIV)

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see it happening. F2P games not requiring XBLG? Yes, I can totally see that happening.

If MS intention is to convert Xbox model to a service based one makes a lot of sense. Offering people a proper service to play games rather than just the ability to play online sounds a way better strategy. Sony better to catch up fast.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
Gold required on F2P, sub service titles and the non-game apps shouldn't happen at the first place.

SRV

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
I just don't see it happening. F2P games not requiring XBLG? Yes, I can totally see that happening.
I'm very happy to eat crow, but I'm 100% with you on this. The F2P paywall is so dumb and shouldn't exist, however I just really don't think that Gold goes away.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff's clarification doesn't really clarify much. Weren't his original tweets speculation that it was going away completely? Did he walk that back at some point to just be F2P games not requiring a sub?

I don't think that was him. As far as I I remember other Microsoft insiders have backed down but Grubb hasn't.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
There's no way they're giving up on XBL Gold. Making F2P titles is a common sense move and, at the outside, tie Gold in with GamePass for $3-4pm extra.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Jfc if this is real Microsoft is heading into next gen like this
source.gif

If they had Halo.....god damn

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
thread title's a little misleading.

would be quite surprised if all online games are free on xbox.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But the fact that it was free allowed them to survive it.
Lmao. Talk about revisionist history. PS3 success or failure had nothing to do with free online. It caught up with the 360 because the 360 is not popular outside US and UK. Even despite the 360 being less popular in those regions all that, it still sold the same as the PS3 at the end of the generation

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
I think it's still at least going away for F2P games, but I don't know if they do it at launch of next-gen or the launch of Halo.
Thanks for the update. I really need to hold back my expectations when i read tweets that say that playing online is gonna be free. It would be juicy news, but do I need to stay out of dreamland?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Is the rumor about having Xbox Live free for everyone or just included for "free" with GamePass.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I feel the most likely scenario is that it just gets integrated into GamePass. Not exactly free but a much better deal than what it is now. I can understand why they would, not many are willing to pay for two different services on the same machine. This way they are probably going to gain alot more traction with GamePass.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Zhugex and Shinobi aren't on that boat so doubt. I thought he was confused with the free Xbox days.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
if true, this would be genius move by microsoft.

sony is never gonna give up their sub money without pressure from competition. and we all know what really makes these consoles big hits are the cod/fifa/fortnite people who only (or mostly) play online.

i genuinely think this could help microsoft close the gap with sony, even more than a good 1st party lineup.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox executive: "So we have this thing where people give us a billion dollars a year expecting nothing in return. Let's get rid of it."

And then the executive was fired.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
People, please at least read the title if you don't want to bother with the threadmarks

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Fingers crossed they make the changes. Cloud saves are already free since 2013 and this would be another great step for consumers.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
If this is just for F2P then that shouldn't be there in the first place, but multiplayer is free for PC so should be free for XBOX also if it's supposed to be touted as 'one platform, multple devices'.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
PSN sucked ass during the PS3 era. If it was as feature rich as it is now then things would have been different.
Also the reason Xbox might be willing to drop the paywall is because they believe that if everyone can play online that equals a ton more mtx purchases. Enough to make up the losses when combined with whatever they're projecting gamepass's revenue to be in the future. It's also pretty nice differentiator to PS/Nintendo.

Most people only care about playing online.
And free online >>>>> "feature rich" paid online.

This was most definitely the case in my part of the world and a huge deciding factor when buying a console back then.

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it not a bigger deal that they just raised the price of gold by getting rid of the yearly option? Also pc gamers are being treated way better than xbox gamers by microsoft at this point.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I don't see it, a $299 Series S will bring in alot of new people without them having to give up the Gold sub.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
This is going to be a huge deal when it happens.
This is a direct, very attractive aggressive feature that will only help MS. I doubt Sony will drop PS+, and if they don't, it will be another "value add" MS can market along with things like XCloud, Gamepass, Smart Delivery, and Backward Compatibility.

This makes me excited because competition is a win for consumers. I'm sure Sony will have their own list of things like this also, but it feels like the2 companies are diverging on strategy/focus for the future.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This thread title seems like a bit of a stretch... wouldn't place a bet either way until we hear more.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Does nobody actually read threadmarks? This thread is confusing to me. Folks in here are acting like they're dropping the paywall for sure when even Grubb isn't saying that at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.