Oct 25, 2017
"The fallout from this (today's layoffs), been hearing more and more.. been hearing for years that Perfect Dark is in a rough state, sounds like it's in a very rough state"

"And it doesn't sound like it's really come together in any way since then (since the announcement) and like Crystal Dynamics coming on board to come help on that.."

Regarding first person shooter aspect:

"It sounds like they don't even know if that's what they want to do with that"

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/vcvbGRsH3G0?si=bhdHDstyDP3PHyKy&t=1686

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
This is the most exciting project they are working on for me, was hoping to see it this year :/

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Not surprised. From Day 1, Perfect Dark felt like a Crackdown 3-esque announcement. Unlike CD3, I doubt we'll ever actually be able to play this game.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to this especially after Crystal Dynamics became more involved. Serves me right for getting excited about anything Xbox under Phil's leadership.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
There is no war in Ba Sing Se Xbox.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
This is upsetting to hear. Was really excited to see it this year but I guess this could be on the chopping block in the next few months.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
they announced that fucking game so fucking early and i have no idea why

gonna end up being the next fable legends

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
At this point I won't believe anything Microsoft announces actually exists until it's on my hard drive with all the patches required to bring it up to the level it should have released at.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
of course not ms has been horrible when it comes to there ips. look at halo

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
well it's another great game they can just drop on to Game Pass with no fanfare and let go of the existing skeleton team helping make this game in mere months after its launch.

CuriousTom92

Jul 1, 2022
I just don't think that when they announced the game they had ANY idea whatsoever what the game is actually gonna be like.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
From the sound of it...doesn't seem like it even left the planning stage very far if they aren't even sure if its going to have 1st person or not.

Multiple years left probably until another glimpse at the game is shown (if at all)

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I remember Crystal Dynamics leaker Miller writing a report on the studio post-avengers that suggested the game was pretty far out, and that tomb raider would drop first. Shame to hear from Grubb (and others) that it still isn't finding its footing

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
This project has been in dev hell basically from the start, The Initiative was a failed attempt at raising a new AAA studio from scratch and everything else that came after that seemingly didn't turn out either

At this point I don't even think this project will ever end up being properly finished

The fact this was announced so early speaks volume about Xbox's management approach and how much they've lied and deceived over the years

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
This project has been in dev hell basically from the start, The Initiative was a failed attempt at raising a new AAA studio from scratch and everything else that came after that seemingly didn't turn out either

At this point I don't even think this project will ever end up being properly finished
would be real sad if the initiative got shutdown before even releasing one game.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Hinestly, it really doesn't surprise me.

It would be the same way as making a goldeneye or tjmesplitters sequel. People loved the game for that very specific style of shooting. Remove it and it sort of just becomes a big standard shooter from a mechanics perspective

Atleast goldeneye has 007 branding and legacy, and timesplitters is ridiculous in its tone and characters. What does perfect dark really have?

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The way Xbox Game Studios is run is clearly a disaster.

All their projects seem to be mismanaged.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Hardly surprising considering what has happened so far with this game.

If it really isn't coming together after so many years I assume it will just be cancelled at some point.

The Initiative was Microsoft's big attempt at building an AAA studio from scratch btw 😭 😭

They had already given up on this when they put Crystal Dynamics on this game since The Initiative lost a bunch of its staff.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Scrape out the management that has been fucking up these games for over decade. This is absurd at this point. I can't think of the last MS studio game that wasn't compromised in some form or fashion.

Last edited:

Lil Bee

Feb 13, 2024
I'm not at all surprised. Never thought the idea really had legs in the first place to be honest.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Why do they find it so hard to do anything. There are so many teams with way less resources and influence that manage to put out full products packed with ideas and gameplay.

And then you get Xbox putting out games like Infinite and Redfall, like what the fuck did you do for so long? And Everwild and Perfect Dark that are seemingly these unsolvable riddles of games.