Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
This is sort of a make/break moment for this dude's credibility in some peoples eyes (admittedly my own as well), so I hope he's right and isn't being jerked around by one of his sources.

This is one of the most magical things about Schreier -- he doesn't say something until he's sure it's right, which adds to his credibility.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
This. It's both hilarious & sad to see people jump to "He's just an attention-seeker". Vergeben & Sabi are attention-seekers. Jeff is an actual reporter, it's his job to report on stuff like this.
Stuff that doesn't exist yet?
I don't doubt he's legit and knows stuff, and I also believe these things are constantly moving and dates are not set in stone, but if these insiders weren't so desperate to gather attention to their websites they would show more professionalism and only report stuff when it's sensible to do so, even if they don't get their 'see guys? I was right. I was there from the beginning' moment.

May 10, 2018
giphy.gif
blinking_sword_in_the_stone.gif

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Report on himself basically? 4th of June was his rumor.

...and then things changed. Its a pandemic. Things are changing. Devs are working from home. This is Sony's big PS5 event, they need to get it right. Expect things to shift.

Xbox to have 2 events, in the time Sony has one? C'mon.

Maybe they think Microsoft will announce the price at the June event and want to go after? Maybe not. But we know Microsoft is doing something each month as part of their 20/20 event.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hello! It would be incredibly stupid to not publish a story because people were obnoxious on a message board. I chose not to publish that article in order to ensure that a source was protected, something that happens relatively often, because protecting sources is always one of my top priorities. Goodbye!

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It definitely gives off an ice effect. Why bother when you're just going to get immense hate for being a little late or be disparaged as an attention seeker when you finally do provide some news?

Era seems to love bugging insiders for leaks when they post here and then turning on them with the rage of a thousand anonymous keyboard warriors the precise second things don't look like they're going to happen exactly as "promised." It's profoundly alienating.

This is sort of a make/break moment for this dude's credibility in some peoples eyes (admittedly my own as well), so I hope he's right and isn't being jerked around by one of his sources.

He reported on an Indie World presentation followed by a Nintendo Direct in March and didn't back down even when it looked impossible that he would be right. In the end, he was: Nintendo just shadow-dropped the Direct.

I would say he's extremely credible. Obviously when you post a whole summer roster of events, the more opportunities there are for things to change.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello! It would be incredibly stupid to not publish a story because people were obnoxious on a message board. I chose not to publish that article in order to ensure that a source was protected, something that happens relatively often, because protecting sources is always one of my top priorities. Goodbye!
Phew thank god, we are safe to continue to be obnoxious.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018

This is one of the most magical things about Schreier -- he doesn't say something until he's sure it's right, which adds to his credibility.
Pretty much, and it's why he's pretty much the only journo I trust with info.

I bet he knows much more than he says, and that he's been right many times without saying anything to the public because he wasn't completely sure at the time.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sony are very solid on their plans. I don't think things are changing overnight.

Source?

Sony released the Dual Sense in a blog post because they were afraid it would get leaked via dev kits.

The virus has already upended Sony's promotional plans. The company may forgo hosting a public press conference for its PS5 release date and price unveiling due to infection fears. Recently, it was forced to reveal its DualSensePS5 controller in a hurried fashion, according to people informed on the matter.

While only a small circle within Sony are privy to the appearance of the PS5 console, the controller has been shared with outside developers and the company feared it couldn't control leaks, they said.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

Don't you know us random people on a message board are far more important than the relationships you've spent years building?!

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
If someone was wondering why Sony hasn't announced the June event is because they can't commit to a date just yet, ofcourse things are shifting around, planning with so many unknowns ain't easy and that applies to all publishers and console makers.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i am ashamed and will use the rest of the day to feel embarassed for believing in that narrative, sorry.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ people thinking plans can't change even though we're in the midst of a global pandemic.

Keep in mind WB cancelled a game days before an announcement back in 2016 even though they had everything prepped and a trailer ready to show at the Game Awards.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Jason,
This is an off-topic question but how is your new job going for you? I love what you do and your book is great! Hope you're doing good in these times too.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
The fact that this needed clarification...

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The company was originally planning this for June 4, but it is moving it around. The exact date is more nebulous now. That doesn't mean it's slipping by a matter of weeks, though. The early June timeframe is still the company's current plan.

Sony was putting together a roster of next-gen games (not just first-party). The shifting date, however, may cause some complications in that regard.

How does that make sense? Why a move by "a matter of days" cause complications?

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
Source?

Sony released the Dual Sense in a blog post because they were afraid it would get leaked via dev kits.

How does this contradict FFMuz point? Sony is in control of when they ship the controller and they knew when it would happen. Just becasue they maybe did to prevent leaks doesnt mean that it was a spontaneous decision.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Its not Jeff's fault that things change around. But I definitely believe that there's a Sony early June event probably on that Tuesday. Jason even said that there's a Sony June event. So I don't understand why people are so upset at the guy doing his job lol

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Thank you for clarifying Jason.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony are very solid on their plans. I don't think things are changing overnight.
On the contrary, I work for a bigger company than Sony and we've had many things change over the course of a few days due to COVID. These things can definitely happen due to the times we're living in.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they think Microsoft will announce the price at the June event and want to go after? Maybe not. But we know Microsoft is doing something each month as part of their 20/20 event.
Based on their behaviour so far, I wouldn't expect to know the price of the PS5 until July/August. If Microsoft announces Lockhart this month, that involves acknowledging it as a "budget" option next to the Series X, so it's possible they'd announce price here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Source?

The virus has already upended Sony's promotional plans. The company may forgo hosting a public press conference for its PS5 release date and price unveiling due to infection fears. Recently, it was forced to reveal its DualSensePS5 controller in a hurried fashion, according to people informed on the matter.

While only a small circle within Sony are privy to the appearance of the PS5 console, the controller has been shared with outside developers and the company feared it couldn't control leaks, they said.

I can believe this, because even I've managed to get a look at a different looking PS5 dev kit from a source who's using one, images that aren't available publicly or that I haven't seen anywhere else, and I'm not even an 'insider' lol.

I'd also never share them because the last thing you'd ever want to do is get someone you know in trouble.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know what that Mel Gibson line is about?

It's a winking reference to the event that will happen on that date, sort of like how ___man was a reference to Tony Hawk (Birdman).

Some people think it's a reference to a Lockhart event ("Braveheart" -> "Lockhart"), but given that Microsoft has an event the following week and that Grubb says in his article he can't verify Lockhart being a released product I think it's more likely to be the CoD Vietnam reveal. That's bound to happen soon, it warrants its own event, and Mel Gibson had a big Vietnam film called We Were Soldiers.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...and then things changed. Its a pandemic. Things are changing. Devs are working from home. This is Sony's big PS5 event, they need to get it right. Expect things to shift.

In the article I linked:

Again, where is the evidence Sony's plans are solid and never change? You really think a global pandemic, developers working from home and late on milestones, challenges with travel, etc etc. can't affect plans?

Well, this is what Sony have said just a week ago:

"At this point in time major problems have not arisen in the game software development pipeline for Sony's own first-party studios or its partners' studios."

"console scheduled for the 2020 holiday season"

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How does this contradict FFMuz point? Sony is in control of when they ship the controller and they knew when it would happen. Just becasue they maybe did to prevent leaks doesnt mean that it was a spontaneous decision.

In the article I linked:

Again, where is the evidence Sony's plans are solid and never change? You really think a global pandemic, developers working from home and late on milestones, challenges with travel, etc etc. can't affect plans?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So what did I miss? Any kind soul would mind summing things up for me? Where are we now? The event is happening? Do expectations have to be tempered?