Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
My fiancee started watching iCarly randomly on Pluto TV and I remembered the story about Schnieder that popped up recently.

Been waiting for him to be exposed. When Nick dropped him he said he was working on a new project aimed at adults but that has never materialized. Feels like he was protected for decades but has the stench of being a creep so I doubt anyone wants to work with him now.

I can't watch anything he was involved in. It's all tainted.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Schneider and the head of Paramount (former boss of Nickelodeon, I believe) go way back to their time on Head of the Class. They were both instrumental in shaping teen Nick programming in the 90s and 00s, and making lots of money. Of course he's been protected. Exposing Schneider likely exposes other powerful people, as well. Money is more important than the well-being of literal children to these ghouls.
Bingo. As I said in other thread multiple times....dude is horrible, and crazy awful shit went down on all those nick shows (sex, drugs, and pregnancies).

But he made head honchos an insane amount of money, and, so like many other creeps in Hollywood, he was protected.

And you are correct...I heard Schneider was not the only one involved in horrible stuff (heard about people higher than him impregnating young actresses).

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
fucking shitty what she went through but glad she's able to get this all out. maybe more potential victims will speak out as well.

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022
cannot wait to get the audio book of this, which i believe she reads herself. her podcast has been incredibly open about some of these topics, as well.

on top of her always being open about the shit conditions she had to deal with on these sets, i always remember being disgusted by how slut-shamed she was when someone else leaked those photos she sent to her then-boyfriend what feels like ages ago. the amount of shit she's had to take from such a young age is insane, and the fact that she's literally still here to tell the tale is so rad.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The book title goes so hard, it's very eye catching if you're just waltzing around a bookstore. Definitely have to give it a read. Dan always gave me the creeps with what he got away with in iCarly.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just for this allegation alone Dan should see jail time but if this is the worse one to come out of the decades he's been working with child actors them I don't know if we'll ever see any justice. This might not be the Jimmy Saville situation people think it is.

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
I wonder why none of the former kids who worked with him have said anything about what happened. There are so many of them and a lot of them are successful enough to have enough power to defend themselves if they make a united front.

There was a Whitney Cummings podcast with Olivia Munn, who has done a lot with sexual harassment in Hollywood

View: https://youtu.be/orh-MrSiq7Q?t=1321

In a nutshell, Munn would have women go to her asking for advice on how to handle their cases. Even in many cases where the woman was obviously being violated, Munn would advise them to stay silent because fighting back would just be a losing battle.

In order to win a harassment case you need:
  • A case so solid it could cut through diamond. You practically need to have the incident on camera
  • A legal war chest big enough to take a team of lawyers who drag things out long enough to bleed you dry
  • Enough money left afterwards to live off for the rest of your life because studios are just going to look at your willingness to stand up for yourself as a liability not worth risking
It's basically a lottery win if you get all 3. Most of the actress don't have millions to burn on something they will probably not win. McCurdy is risking financial ruin right now, even though I think the most likely case is that they will just bank on the internet's short attention span as opposed to suing for libel.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There was a Whitney Cummings podcast with Olivia Munn, who has done a lot with sexual harassment in Hollywood

In a nutshell, Munn would have women go to her asking for advice on how to handle their cases. Even in many cases where the woman was obviously being violated, Munn would advise them to stay silent because fighting back would just be a losing battle.

• A case so solid it could cut through diamond. You practically need to have the incident on camera
  • A legal war chest big enough to take a team of lawyers who drag things out long enough to bleed you dry
  • Enough money left afterwards to live off for the rest of your life because studios are just going to look at your willingness to stand up for yourself as a liability not worth risking
It's basically a lottery win if you get all 3. Most of the actress don't have millions to burn on something they will probably not win. McCurdy is risking financial ruin right now, even though I think the most likely case is that they will just bank on the internet's short attention span as opposed to suing for libel.

I mean just look at how much less attention this is getting here then the last topic where there were even defenders.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

Holy fucking shit. Thanks for this is depressing as fuck.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
reading excerpts from the book i was shocked by how much i wasn't shocked that that's how things played out for her. but iCarly was a little after my time (didn't even realize she left acting tbh)

Oct 25, 2017
The internet is full of photos and videos of Schneider with kids that make the Biden thing seem harmless, people knew and they didnt do shit about it

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
www.vanityfair.com

“This Phony, Bizarre Sphere”: Jennette McCurdy’s Shocking Final Days at Nickelodeon

In an excerpt from her memoir, ‘I’m Glad My Mom Died,’ the former ‘iCarly’ and ‘Sam & Cat’ star alleges that she was offered hush money to stay silent about her experiences working with a man she refers to only as “The Creator.”
Goddamn the actual excerpts makes it even more clear she's talking about Dan Schneider lol.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
www.vanityfair.com

“This Phony, Bizarre Sphere”: Jennette McCurdy’s Shocking Final Days at Nickelodeon

In an excerpt from her memoir, ‘I’m Glad My Mom Died,’ the former ‘iCarly’ and ‘Sam & Cat’ star alleges that she was offered hush money to stay silent about her experiences working with a man she refers to only as “The Creator.”
"The Victorious kids get drunk together all the time. The iCarly kids are so wholesome. We need to give you guys a little edge."

This aligns with what I've posted in other threads about the Victorious set. I've heard that set was out of control. High ranking people in the studio were convinced someone was gonna end up arrested, dead, or pregnant (or all three).

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
www.vanityfair.com

God this is chilling. I know for a fact he was lying to her about the Victorious cast to get her to do it too. What a monster.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
"The Victorious kids get drunk together all the time. The iCarly kids are so wholesome. We need to give you guys a little edge."

This aligns with what I've posted in other threads about the Victorious set. I've heard that set was out of control. High ranking people in the studio were convinced someone was gonna end up arrested, dead, or pregnant (or all three).
we know that Avan Jogia was drunk or high most of the time on the victorious set, you can see it in most of his screentime as the show went on

Dec 2, 2017
"I feel like The Creator has two distinct sides. One is generous and over-the-top complimentary. He can make anyone feel like the most important person in the world. I've seen him do this when he made the entire crew give our production designer a five-minute standing ovation for the jail set he built in two days, or when he gave a speech thanking our stunt coordinator. The coordinator cried with gratitude. The Creator knows how to make someone feel important.
The other side is mean-spirited, controlling, and terrifying. The Creator can tear you down and humiliate you. I've seen him do this when he fired a six-year-old on the spot for messing up a few lines on a rehearsal day. And when a boom operator accidentally dropped the boom into a shot and The Creator stomped over to him and screamed in his face that he was responsible for ruining a magical take and he hoped that he would regret it for the rest of his life. I've seen The Creator make grown men and women cry with his insults and degradation—he'll call people idiots, buffoons, stupid, dumb, sloppy, careless, retarded, and spineless. The Creator knows how to make someone feel worthless.
That's why I've learned with time that, as much as I want the compliments to mean something to me, I can't let them, because tomorrow he might be screaming insults in my face that will hurt me just as much as the compliments raise me up. I feel that I always need to be on guard around him. Catering to him emotionally. I feel similarly around The Creator as I feel around Mom—on edge, desperate to please, terrified of stepping out of line. Put both of them together in the same room and I'm overwhelmed.
The Creator orders main courses for us to share—something with lobster, a pasta with meat, and a flatbread. I know Mom won't approve of me eating any of these foods, but I know The Creator will be offended if I don't eat them, and he will comment on me not trusting him or thinking he has bad taste, so I pick at the food as convincingly as I can, hoping The Creator will believe I'm eating and Mom will know I'm not."

"I nod along. He reaches out and places his hand on my knee. I get goose bumps.
"You're cold," he says, concerned.
I don't think that's why I got the goose bumps, but I agree. It's always best to agree with The Creator.
"Here, take my jacket."
He takes his coat off and drapes it around me. He pats my shoulders and then the pat turns into a massage.
"Oof, you're so tense!"
"Yeah…"
"Anyway, what was I saying?" he asks while he keeps massaging me. My shoulders do have a lot of knots in them, but I don't want The Creator to be the one rubbing them out. I want to say something, to tell him to stop, but I'm so scared of offending him.
"Oh, right," he says, remembering his train of thought without my help. "Every kid out there would kill for an opportunity like the one you've got. You're very lucky, Jennetter."
"I know," I say while he keeps rubbing me.
And I do. I do know. I'm so lucky."

"The Creator has gotten in trouble from the network for accusations of his emotional abuse. I feel like it's been a long time coming, and should have happened a lot sooner.
I appreciate the amount of trouble he's gotten in. It wasn't just a slap-on-the-wrist sort of thing. It's to the point where he's no longer allowed to be on set with any actors, which makes communication in between takes complicated.
The Creator sits in a small cave-like room off to the side of the soundstage, surrounded by piles of cold cuts, his favorite snack, and Kids' Choice Awards blimps, his most cherished life accomplishment. He watches our takes on four separate monitors, one for each camera, that are set up in his lair. Whenever he wants to give us a note, he tells it to an assistant director, who then has to run across the entire soundstage to give it to us. So our shoot days went from about thirteen hours to about seventeen."

What a guy Schneider is

Last edited:

Teusery

"This guy are sick"
May 18, 2022

Is there an article on that set's behavior?

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an article on that set's behavior?
No (not that I am aware of)...purely hearsay from a from a dozen or two people I know that work in the industry (I work in an industry adjacent with a lot of the people I work with also working in television and movies). Schneider is a bad bad person (but not the only one in that Nick regime).

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
that Vanity Fair excerpt is really tough to read. Poor kid. I hope Jennette is in a better place (mentally, emotionally) right now. It couldn't have been easy.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Put both of them together in the same room and I'm overwhelmed.
The Creator orders main courses for us to share—something with lobster, a pasta with meat, and a flatbread. I know Mom won't approve of me eating any of these foods, but I know The Creator will be offended if I don't eat them, and he will comment on me not trusting him or thinking he has bad taste, so I pick at the food as convincingly as I can, hoping The Creator will believe I'm eating and Mom will know I'm not."

For a kid to have to go through this on a daily basis😔

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
There's a point in the Eric Andre show where's he gets super close to her and you can clearly see her seize up. Makes you wonder how much of that was acting or a genuine trauma response having read how Schneider just had his hands on her like that.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So Nickelodeon knew they had a creep working there and tried to pay victims to be silent about it?
Burn the motherfucking place down. Burn it all down.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There's a point in the Eric Andre show where's he gets super close to her and you can clearly see her seize up. Makes you wonder how much of that was acting or a genuine trauma response having read how Schneider just had his hands on her like that.
100% thought of that when I saw this thread and immediately felt bad about that episode

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
McCurdy did two separate interviews for ABC; in the Nightline clip below, she describes some seriously gross abuse at the hands of her mother, who allegedly
did "medical exams" of her private parts in the shower for years until she was 17,
and who also was the source of her disordered eating behavior, among other awful things.

www.youtube.com

Jennette McCurdy shares the stories behind memoir “I’m Glad My Mom Died”

Former Nickelodeon child star Jennette McCurdy speaks about her traumatic relationship with her mother, struggle with anorexia and her decision to quit actin...

Zephyrhills

Mar 6, 2022
McCurdy did two separate interviews for ABC; in the Nightline clip below, she describes some seriously gross abuse at the hands of her mother, who allegedly
did "medical exams" of her private parts in the shower for years until she was 17,
and who also was the source of her disordered eating behavior, among other awful things.

www.youtube.com

Jennette McCurdy shares the stories behind memoir “I’m Glad My Mom Died”

Former Nickelodeon child star Jennette McCurdy speaks about her traumatic relationship with her mother, struggle with anorexia and her decision to quit actin...
Good for her, I am glad she seems to be in a better place.

The best Nickelodeon can do is "no comment" on the hush money and Schneider allegations is telling. There is some dark shit they don't want to get out.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
About 80 minutes to go on this audiobook, and it's mind-blowing in the worst way. I thought I had a loose understanding of the abuse celebs can go through, but I was wrong. Levels of fame don't equate to levels of cruelty. I naively thought if you hit the top level of global fame your life can become the worst thing imaginable. Turns out that can happen to anyone with any level of fame. I thought I understood what it meant when celebs talked about having no privacy, but there's a bit in there about when her mom dies that involves privacy being broken that sounds nearly impossible.

She definitely strikes me as the kind of person who would probably not care that a bunch of randos are singing her praises for her strength to survive, but it's hard not to after this book. I seriously don't understand how she survived.

TheKeipatzy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I got link to it on Instagram by a couple friends.

This stuff's been brewing at Nickelodeon for a while definitely. Still can't watch Ren and Stimpy myself after everything came out there.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Damn this is wild. Good way to demonstrate how complex this web is just for one show and one child actor's experience now that she's an adult reflecting on the dynamics at play and the instances she was not only abused but not protected, or that others actively enabled abusive behavior. I'm sure it goes deeper given McCurdy's experiences on another show and people like Schneider at the center of it all for years.

I wonder how much of this stuff is still going on at Nickelodeon.

Feb 16, 2022

I saw this last week since AV Club picked the story up, but I don't think it's been picked up by most media sites.
www.avclub.com

Zoey 101 star Alexa Nikolas said she "did not feel safe" around creator Dan Schneider

Schneider's treatment of young actors has been in the news ever since iCarly's Jennette McCurdy published her new memoir, I'm Glad My Mom Died