The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Why couldn't it have been Dan Snyder?
giphy.gif

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was fast. Ownership (of other teams) probably said there's no way out of this, just sell.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Jerry Richardson was a special kind of dick in the NFL.

He was the owner who wanted to completely deregulate the union AND wanted to strip all NFL employees of access to heath care.

Plus he was against fucking against paying the refs on a contract they already agreed to. He was a cancer to the sport and now you know he was a cancer to be around.

He shouldn't be able to walk away with a fat paycheck, The Owners should kick him out.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
What a shame, he gets to become even richer now instead of even richer years from now. Hopefully this teaches him an important lesson.

Also, professional sports team ownership is like a cabal: even if Diddy finds investors to come up with more than enough to bid for the franchise, if the other NFL owners don't want Diddy as an NFL owner then they'll never sign off on the purchase. Mark Cuban has been trying to buy a baseball franchise for over a decade and finally gave up to buy a tiny stake in the Cowboys that's basically perfunctory.

Baseball is THE old boys club. They have no interest in any radical changes. They are only interested in owners who won't rock the boat. Damn shame if you ask me as Cuban could have done wonders with the Pirates.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Baseball is THE old boys club. They have no interest in any radical changes. They are only interested in owners who won't rock the boat. Damn shame if you ask me as Cuban could have done wonders with the Pirates.
They let Jeter's group buy a team despite not being able to afford it, yet an owner like Cuban who loves throwing money around at his team to improve them isn't allowed in. Let that sink in.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Get those kids who tore down the statue in Durham to come and tear down that awful statue of Jerry in front of the stadium.

faqvsoxrquczxhit53xw.jpg

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Most baseball owners are terrified of other owners coming in and spending money like the Dodgers or Yankees. Keeping payroll and the union in check is all they care about/

Its why they would rather have an owner like Jerer and Bruce Sherman with no cash that helps inflate their value when selling.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Most baseball owners are terrified of other owners coming in and spending money like the Dodgers or Yankees. Keeping payroll and the union in check is all they care about/

Its why they would rather have an owner like Jerer and Bruce Sherman with no cash that helps inflate their value when selling.

It is a passive business that is for sure. Also, I think after George the owners decided they had enough of loudmouth owners who would not toe the company line and rock the boat. Now they are all about tradition.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
It is a passive business that is for sure. Also, I think after George the owners decided they had enough of loudmouth owners who would not toe the company line and rock the boat. Now they are all about tradition.
Now teams are filled with former hedge fund managers and Wall Street level statisticians. They want consistency they can track and manage and having an owner like George that would say fuck you to teams like the Royals that claim they are in a small market is really what the sport needs to grow.

Imagine if the Yankees had a Cowboys like deal where they collected 100% of their own merch money? If Cuba bought the Cubs he'd be going after a deal like that.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Now teams are filled with former hedge fund managers and Wall Street level statisticians. They want consistency they can track and manage and having an owner like George that would say fuck you to teams like the Royals that claim they are in a small market is really what the sport needs to grow.

Imagine if the Yankees had a Cowboys like deal where they collected 100% of their own merch money? If Cuba bought the Cubs he'd be going after a deal like that.

Absolutely. As a lifelong Yankees fan I think The Boss was the best thing to happen to baseball. If nothing else it forced the small market teams to be creative in their team building andmeant that ownership was not as passive of an activity.

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Steph Curry or Puff D(a/i)ddy has the kind of money necessary. Maybe as part of an investment group, but not as individuals. I bet the team sells for at least 2 billion.

The Panthers fought the city for a measly $87 million in upgrades a few years ago. Disabled season ticket holders complained about not being able to get to their seats, so they put in elevators. They also improved the jumbo-tron.

The team threatened to leave and have already made it public that they wanted more money from the city.

The city relented and ponied up the funds and the Panthers agreed to stay. They are currently in year 5 of 6 of this agreement.

"But after June 2019, there is no requirement the team stay in Charlotte." Article here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article190274159.html

This is a 20 year old stadium they are going to want the tax payers to replace. I'm not big on handouts to billionaires, so they can fuck off and move to a new city and sucker those taxpayers.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
As a NC born and bred kid who came of age when the Panthers came onto the scene in the mid 90's I am enraged at the kind of man Richardson is. It has been rumored for a while, and whispers around the team were that he was responsible for the teams slump last year. So this does not come as a huge surprise. It's why my fandom has taken a serious hit over the last few years.

But damn my father, brother, and I have given quite a bit of money to this man over the last 20 years. I'm glad his ass will soon no longer be a prominent member of the Charlotte community. I am so damn sick of rich, racist, mysogonist assholes doing whatever they want to people they consider to be beneath them. Fuck you, your reckoning is just beginning.

Nov 2, 2017
They let Jeter's group buy a team despite not being able to afford it, yet an owner like Cuban who loves throwing money around at his team to improve them isn't allowed in. Let that sink in.

Cuban got snubbed because of Jerry Reinsdorf who was one of Selig's closest allies in MLB ownership. It's like if someone tried to buy the Panthers that either Rooney or Mara hated there is no way their pet Goodell would let them in the club.

There is a ton of politics and factions within sports ownership. We have seem lots of glimpses in first with the LA and Vegas moves and then Goodell and Jerrah's feud.

Should be interesting to watch the Panthers sale because Richardson was part of the group close to Goodell and Mara.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What's happening is the owners are being held to the same standard employees have been for ages.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Seems like a total creep. Everyone calling him Mister and asking employees out on dates to grope them? Fucking weirdo.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a NC born and bred kid who came of age when the Panthers came onto the scene in the mid 90's I am enraged at the kind of man Richardson is. It has been rumored for a while, and whispers around the team were that he was responsible for the teams slump last year. So this does not come as a huge surprise. It's why my fandom has taken a serious hit over the last few years.

But damn my father, brother, and I have given quite a bit of money to this man over the last 20 years. I'm glad his ass will soon no longer be a prominent member of the Charlotte community. I am so damn sick of rich, racist, mysogonist assholes doing whatever they want to people they consider to be beneath them. Fuck you, your reckoning is just beginning.

I mean we all are happy that people like Richardson and Sterling are not owning teams in major pro sports, but the Panthers are worth a reported 2.4 billion dollars last I checked. You don't think that kind of money can do just as much if not more damage in other industries?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine that Richardson has already thought about selling the team before this all started. It seems like quite an overreaction. So I don't buy that he's selling simply because of this.

Oh please let this happen:

No way he has enough money to be anything more than a token half a percent owner but it would still be cool.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The owners approve all sales. If they actually are blackballing Kaep, he would be cancer to any ownership group trying to buy into the NFL.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just because he says he's stepping down doesnt' mean anything. I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind at the end of the year while the nfl deals with more important issues like bobbing on the military.