Oct 26, 2017
Via Majority Report:

Relevant part starts at 3:37.
Here he says he never said he won't perform at colleges. Seinfeld explains what he actually said was "a comedian told me he doesn't want to play colleges anymore".

And as reported by the USA Today back in the olden days of 2015:
The topic came up when Cowherd mentioned to Seinfeld that Conan O'Brien made a Caitlyn Jenner joke two days before her interview with Diane Sawyer. Cowherd believes that, had Conan done the joke two days later, he would have been labeled a "bigot."

This led Cowherd to ask Seinfeld whether the climate is concerning, particularly on college campuses.

"I hear that all the time," Seinfeld said. "I don't play colleges, but I hear a lot of people tell me don't go near colleges — they're so PC (politically correct)."

And here's the actual audio recording of the original interview with Colin Cowherd from 2015:

And here's Seinfeld on Late Night w/Seth Myers talking about PC culture back in 2015:

Finally here's John Mulaney on possibly the real reason why Seinfeld and other prominent comedians don't play colleges:
Now, John Mulaney, a comedian leading the generation that's followed in the footsteps of those names, has raised an eyebrow at their assertions, positing that the "P.C." talk is a smokescreen for another issue altogether.

Speaking at the New Yorker Festival this past weekend, Mulaney responded to a question about whether he'd also bail on college gigs for those reasons. "Can I say something honestly?" he began. "They don't do colleges because their fees are too high for colleges to afford. I mean, I'd probably say that to their faces. It's weird for them to attribute it to political correctness. They don't have to play colleges. Why they phrase it that way, I don't know. I just found that strange."

So from everything I've gathered I assume Jerry was already not playing colleges (due to John Mulaney's assertion that his rate is unaffordable for colleges) and a fellow comedian told him not to start due to PC culture which he already isn't fond of. I will give him credit for realizing that there are limits in comedy and you need to work around them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
canada
Its not like college students would be able to afford his shows anyway

He played a stadium thats basically attached to my Uni, tix were 200$ or some shit

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So Seinfeld was lying all along and went on this anti-PC campaign as a smokescreen away from his expensive fees for years.

Mandius

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think if a college campus paid his high performance fee he'd actually turn it down?

I have no idea. It's more the idea that Seinfeld is trying to distract everyone away from the price of his tickets by talking about changing cultural norms and how they impact his chosen profession. That's what I found strange.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have no idea. It's more the idea that Seinfeld is trying to distract everyone away from the price of his tickets by talking about changing cultural norms and how they impact his chosen profession. That's what I found strange.
It is strange, but that's what he's doing according to John Mulaney.